Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Ok, I was going to make a long spergy post about this, but ill condense it:
Im 18 years and and going through my first year of college. I am skilled at computers but I realized thats not my hobby anymore, and I dont want to do that for the rest of my life. Everyone seems to have their career choice chosen but me. What do I do? I have no idea what I want to be now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Seriously, just relax and try to figure out what you're good at and which courses you most enjoy. You'll find yourself gravitating towards something sooner or later; don't sweat it. It'll be OK. :)

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Avocadoes posted:

Ok, I was going to make a long spergy post about this, but ill condense it:
Im 18 years and and going through my first year of college. I am skilled at computers but I realized thats not my hobby anymore, and I dont want to do that for the rest of my life. Everyone seems to have their career choice chosen but me. What do I do? I have no idea what I want to be now.

Like Drimble said, just relax. You're 18 years old. Do you honestly think that everyone but you knows exactly what they want to do for the rest of their lives? I read that the average person in college now will change careers 4 times before they retire. Not jobs, careers.

Just relax, take a bunch of GenEd courses and find something you're passionate about and enjoy.

Things will fall in to place :)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
The average college student changes majors three times. No one knows what they want to do. You eventually pick a degree, graduate, and then still don't know what you want to do. You get a job that you're not sure is what you want to do, and you do it for a while, and maybe you change your mind in the middle. If you're waiting for that magic revelation where you stop being a teenager and start being an adult and everything makes sense, it never happens. Sorry. :(

That being said, there are some pragmatic steps you can take to get the best value out of college. If you're considering Engineering or Premed, at all, stay on course for them while you figure things out. Your Math and Science credits from those courses will count towards generals, but if you take the easier Math-and-Science-for-English-majors classes, and then decide that Engineering is your thing, you're going to be a semester or two off-course to graduate in time.

If that's not a concern, do a breadth-first examination of your generals/core classes that you'll need to graduate no matter what you major in. Take a 1000-level science, speech, and literature, and math class next semester, whatever you aren't taking now. These are good introductions to the majors that they represent. If you hate Calculus I, Engineering is not for you. If you think reading poetry is a waste of your goddamned time, you might want to steer clear of the liberal arts.

Look, I know it seems scary now, like you have to make a decision that's going to determine the rest of your life. And you know, eventually, you are. But there are no wrong answers. There's not one perfect future out there waiting for you; you're not going to mess things up by missing out on it.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Gravity Pike posted:

The average college student changes majors three times. No one knows what they want to do. You eventually pick a degree, graduate, and then still don't know what you want to do. You get a job that you're not sure is what you want to do, and you do it for a while, and maybe you change your mind in the middle. If you're waiting for that magic revelation where you stop being a teenager and start being an adult and everything makes sense, it never happens. Sorry. :(

That being said, there are some pragmatic steps you can take to get the best value out of college. If you're considering Engineering or Premed, at all, stay on course for them while you figure things out. Your Math and Science credits from those courses will count towards generals, but if you take the easier Math-and-Science-for-English-majors classes, and then decide that Engineering is your thing, you're going to be a semester or two off-course to graduate in time.

If that's not a concern, do a breadth-first examination of your generals/core classes that you'll need to graduate no matter what you major in. Take a 1000-level science, speech, and literature, and math class next semester, whatever you aren't taking now. These are good introductions to the majors that they represent. If you hate Calculus I, Engineering is not for you. If you think reading poetry is a waste of your goddamned time, you might want to steer clear of the liberal arts.

Look, I know it seems scary now, like you have to make a decision that's going to determine the rest of your life. And you know, eventually, you are. But there are no wrong answers. There's not one perfect future out there waiting for you; you're not going to mess things up by missing out on it.

This is the best goddamn answer possible to the question asked.

That dude should print this out and post it on his mirror and read it everyday after he gets out of the shower :)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That..that was...beautiful :qq:.

Thanks guys :unsmith:

smith7800
Sep 25, 2004
Can somebody point me to the thread where I need to buy a decent office chair?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Avocadoes posted:

That..that was...beautiful :qq:.
I had no idea what I was doing for my entire undergrad, still don't and I'm 6 months from a master's degree.

If your school is like mine 'Intro to X' courses count for lots of your bullshit GenEd stuff. Take a bunch, see what sticks. Don't be afraid to talk to professors, most of them are colossal nerds who will talk your ear off about whatever their thing is. Also don't be afraid to harass the administration to get what you want. You'd be amazed the amount of flexibility you can get out of a school just by showing up at someone's office to ask.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good site for movie trailers with a decent RSS feed? I've been visiting TrailerAddict for a while, and while their site is great, their RSS is cluttered with superfluous bullshit like interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, premiere footage, trailers for movies that came out a decade ago, and low-budget, straight-to-DVD crap. Basically, I'm looking for something with streaming trailers of major releases and notable indie releases, with a decent and regularly updated RSS (don't say Apple, I can't stand Quicktime).

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
How does the tax system work in he US, does it change a lot from state to state or is it pretty much the same across the board?

How much tax (and other mandatory deductions) on average would a single adult earning $35,000 a year have to pay, or does it vary too much from state to state to be able to say?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
There's federal tax, and there's state tax (and in some areas, city, municipal or local tax). What you pay will vary pretty widely, not only just between federal and state, but based on the deductions and credits you qualify for.

edit: Oh yeah, and how much you've had withheld (if any) throughout the year.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 18, 2010

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
^ Well really for the average person all of their taxes are already paid by withholdings.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

How does the tax system work in he US, does it change a lot from state to state or is it pretty much the same across the board?

How much tax (and other mandatory deductions) on average would a single adult earning $35,000 a year have to pay, or does it vary too much from state to state to be able to say?

You can download free tax preparation software and put in some hypothetical income and such to figure out a rough idea.

On average though, and this is including all taxes paid including sales taxes as well as property tax and income tax form all levels of government, Americans pay 30% of their income as taxes all together. I believe that the average Western European ends up paying around 50% (due mostly to higher sales taxes and such, rather than higher income tax so much) and the Swedes in particular, the average Swede pays 60% of their income in taxes all told (again, including sales and property and so on).

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

madprocess posted:

^ Well really for the average person all of their taxes are already paid by withholdings.

Unless that person has messed with their W-4/state equivalent, which far too many people do. I used to hear it all the time (I used to work for a tax prep software company), although I suppose I probably heard the worst cases rather than the average. :)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

hookerbot 5000 posted:

In addition to what's already been said, the taxes imposed by each state to fund their own operations are typically small relative to your federal taxes but that will vary, and not just in amount -- some states have very little or no income tax and rely on property or sales taxes and vice versa.

Basically the same goes for municipalities, again on a much smaller level. It's pretty uncommon for a city to levy an income tax but I think it can happen. Sales taxes can be very different from one city or county to the next.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

A Violence Gang posted:

It's pretty uncommon for a city to levy an income tax but I think it can happen.

New York City has a municipal income tax.

vvvv :hfive:

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 18, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
NYC isn't a "common" city ;)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

haveblue posted:

New York City has a municipal income tax.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of but I wasn't sure enough to say. Does anybody else?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
A shitton of Ohio and Pennsylvania cities have local income tax. There's another state that does a lot of cities too and I can't remember it off the top of my head. Been a while since I've hosed around in the tax prep program I used to support.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Thanks, I tried looking it up on a tax calculator but all the deductions and stuff confused me too much. I was just curious about how it compares to other countries but with all the other kinds of taxes imposed like VAT and stuff makes a like for like comparison pretty tricky to work out.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What colors would something that's smaller than a wavelength of light appear to be? Just black, or would it be functionally invisible?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

change my name posted:

What colors would something that's smaller than a wavelength of light appear to be? Just black, or would it be functionally invisible?

Going off some (possibly poor and maybe incorrect) memories about the way light functions here, but let me take try. If an object is emitting waves in frequencies that are too large or small for your eye to see, your eye simply doesn't register those signals. They pass right through the receivers in your eye, so yes they're functionally invisible. You can't see radio waves or microwaves. But that is not to say that the object in question doesn't emit (or more likely reflect) other frequencies.

A star is an object which emits energy in all sorts of different frequencies, both visible and invisible to your eye. What color you see the star as is whatever band of visible light the star is emitting most strongly.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

change my name posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EM_spectrum.svg

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I know all about the different frequencies of light, it's just that I read an article in the nyt times about animating proteins that were smaller than a visible light wave, and I was curious what they would look like in real life.

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

You are part of a long tradition
of needless self-sacrifice so that
dickbags can eat overpriced foie gras.
I'm really hoping to improve my penmanship. Does anyone have pointers? Techniques? I want my writing to look nicer.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Paper slant, letter slant.

Man my third grade teacher was good at brainwashing. She should have worked for the CIA.

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Thanks, I tried looking it up on a tax calculator but all the deductions and stuff confused me too much. I was just curious about how it compares to other countries but with all the other kinds of taxes imposed like VAT and stuff makes a like for like comparison pretty tricky to work out.

The OECD regularly publishes comparative income tax data.

This is from Australian Treasury's website http://comparativetaxation.treasury.gov.au/content/report/html/06_Chapter_4-08.asp, and therefore highlights Australia's position but if you scroll down the page you'll see graphs which include US, UK, etc.

Note that the data is from 2005. I tried to find more recent data on the OECD site but it appears you need a log-in to get to that section of the site.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I have this old computer which was put together by dell in '07, right about the time they started switching hard to PCI-e video cards. As the card shat out, and now I've got to buy a new one, all I've got is a bit of information via the dell website telling me I've got a PCI-Express x16 port. Will a PCI-Express 2.0 x16 card melt my computer through the floors of my multi-story living space like the facehugger's blood in Alien?

I just want to play left for dead 2 again :*(

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

Cheekio posted:

I have this old computer which was put together by dell in '07, right about the time they started switching hard to PCI-e video cards. As the card shat out, and now I've got to buy a new one, all I've got is a bit of information via the dell website telling me I've got a PCI-Express x16 port. Will a PCI-Express 2.0 x16 card melt my computer through the floors of my multi-story living space like the facehugger's blood in Alien?

I just want to play left for dead 2 again :*(

You can use one, it'll just step down to the old PCI-E speeds. Think of it like using a USB 2.0 device in a USB 1.0 port.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Aygtets posted:

I'm looking for a picture, and all my googling and all the king's men can't find this picture.

It's a digital painting, I believe. It's of two girls in a small dorm(?) or just a small room. Basically the room is packed to the brim with cool things, stuffed animals, and future stuff. It seems like all the space is maximized for just two people. Bunks, and all their stuff packed away or hanging on the ceiling or something like that. One girl is drawing on a tablet, I think. And the other is playing videogames. It seems to take place in the future, or an alternate reality. The image is packed with stuff.

But the room looks comfy and it's basically the living space that I want in the future, which is why I want this image so badly.

Is this the one you're talking about?

Don't know where it's from though, I found it on this forum somewhere a while back.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Nighthand posted:

Is this the one you're talking about?

Don't know where it's from though, I found it on this forum somewhere a while back.

I don't see anything in that picture that isn't accessible now. Go after your dreams, the future is now and junk.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Haha. There's dildos on the shelf in that picture. (Looks like someone even censored them out.)

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

WHEEZY EAT A FOOD posted:

You can use one, it'll just step down to the old PCI-E speeds. Think of it like using a USB 2.0 device in a USB 1.0 port.

Your generosity is matched only by your luminous intellect. Thank you kindly.

QingLaiXiguaba
Apr 4, 2010
Where can I go to find loose action figures, old and new?

I'm sort of a toy collector, but I don't give a gently caress about something being mint in the box etc... I just like the toys to sit on my desk and I'll put them into poses and what not at my discretion. I actually want to PLAY with these things, and yet Ebay is filled with action figures that have never been loved, which makes them 10 times more valuable.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

I'm sort of a toy collector, but I don't give a gently caress about something being mint in the box etc... I just like the toys to sit on my desk and I'll put them into poses and what not at my discretion. I actually want to PLAY with these things, and yet Ebay is filled with action figures that have never been loved, which makes them 10 times more valuable.

There are plenty of loose figures on eBay, many in lots. I've sold a few dozen myself. There's also an action figure thread in BSS you might post in to see if anyone's selling, or post a buying thread in SA-Mart

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

smith7800 posted:

Can somebody point me to the thread where I need to buy a decent office chair?

I asked this once and the answer was basically "just go sit in some and buy one."

Maybe wait for some place to have a sale and then go buy whichever one you want.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

If there's no hydrogen peroxide handy, is it correct that you can use liquor to clean a wound in a pinch? What proof would you need? Would Vodka be better than scotch for example? When would/wouldn't this be a good idea?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Elijya posted:

If there's no hydrogen peroxide handy, is it correct that you can use liquor to clean a wound in a pinch? What proof would you need? Would Vodka be better than scotch for example? When would/wouldn't this be a good idea?

It's not the best idea in the world (it'd hurt like hell, for one). But you'd want to use something with as high a proof as possible, and something as close to pure ethanol as possible (e.g. vodka). I'd say the only time this is a "good" idea is if you have a wound needing cleaning and, for some reason, have no other options. I am having a hard time imagining that scenario, but there you go.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

I don't know where you live, but flea markets and yard sales are the best places. Cheap, as well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
My mother is looking to buy a new iron, as her old one is falling apart (20+ year old GE).
She does all kinds of stuff, from cushion covers to dog coats.

Are there any recommended brands, or features to look out for besides an auto shut-off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Elijya posted:

Not recommended, but better than nothing if you're trapped in the jungle with only a bottle of Popov.

Also makes you look super hard so that's a bonus. Try smoking a cigar while you do it.