Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Christoff posted:

4.Boots This is where it gets tough. I do ride a sumo but don't do anything crazy (yet). I may get into mx down the line or at least more trial riding on my sumo. Either way I do a lot of tootin' around town and I guess you can never be too safe.

Someone asked a similar question in the gear thread so I give a similar answer... I bought some A* tech 7s not too long ago for offroad riding because my lovely Answer boots exploded after only a couple months of use. The tech7s are OUTSTANDING boots, but I could never see wearing them on the street. They're huge, offer basically movement at the ankle in any direction (great for offroad, not so much for street use), the soles are stupid stiff, and they're are pretty goddamn awkward to walk around in. They're great if you're going to be bashing around through the woods or riding MX but I really can't see it for street use. I'm sure people do use them but... no thanks.

A very viable alternative is the A* Scout WP - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/24739/ITEM/Alpinestars-Scout-WP-Boots.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

I found a pair of these at a local shop super cheap and picked them up a couple months ago and have been very impressed. They're incredibly comfortable, still offer a lot of protection (and are much stiffer soled / through the ankle than a true street or race boot, they put both my Vertigos and A* supertechs to shame for ankle support :aaa: ), but you still can easily walk around in them. Hell, I wore them on my trip down south and took a ~4mi hike across the Sandia crest in Albuquerque. My feet were fine :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Crossposting from another thread where this really didn't belong:

Last night I had a dream that I was riding a sumo, doing wheelies in the alley behind my parent's house. The alley was magically dirt instead of being paved and it seemed really fun. I've never done a wheelie before, but in my dream I was a badass fuckin wheelie machine.

Anyway... does this mean I have to get one?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yes.

I say this honestly though, motorcycles corrupt, supermotos corrupt absolutely.

I've met 50 year old men who hop on supermotos and just become 17 year old hooligan retards. A supermoto is like a gateway drug.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

quote:

...supermotos corrupt absolutely.

Oh god, it's true.

I used to be a pretty responsible cyclist.

Then I got addicted to motorcycles when I taught myself to ride on a borrowed DT125 while I was living in Uganda.

I ended up getting a KTM 690 SMC when I got home.

Which is something like going from a toke on your buddies joint then moving straight up to crack cocaine the next night.

Now, not a week goes by without someone shouting, shaking a fist, or honking their horn at me because I'm upsetting their sensibilities by riding pavements (sidewalks), pulling wheelies, backing it in, cutting through roadworks or cutting the wrong-way down a one-way road because I cut through the roadworks too many times and the road workers know to look out for me.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
I'm certainly not new to biking (only on the road nowadays to be fair) but I used to do a hell of a lot of motocross when I was young, well, until I broke my back that is.

I fancy getting into green lanes and doing some easy offroad so a supermoto would be ideal, the thing is it won't get a huge amount of use so I can't warrant spending a fortune, friends recommend the 2TT KTM 250 but at 6'4 and 17.5 stone won't that be a little underpowered?

What would any of you go for or highly recommend?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

cmorrow001 posted:

I really want some kickass SM boots as well but I can't justify spending $400 on boots for street riding.

Also, I tried one of the SM helmets but ended up preferring to just wear a dirt helmet. Makes me feel like more of a hooligan.

Me either. That's what I'm leaning towards a pair of used ALpinestar ones off craigslist or something.

The thing about the sumo helmet is the face shield. Goggles are cool and poo poo but I do a lot of freeway riding. I've had bugs in the face before on accident. No bueno.

needknees posted:

Someone asked a similar question in the gear thread so I give a similar answer... I bought some A* tech 7s not too long ago for offroad riding because my lovely Answer boots exploded after only a couple months of use. The tech7s are OUTSTANDING boots, but I could never see wearing them on the street. They're huge, offer basically movement at the ankle in any direction (great for offroad, not so much for street use), the soles are stupid stiff, and they're are pretty goddamn awkward to walk around in. They're great if you're going to be bashing around through the woods or riding MX but I really can't see it for street use. I'm sure people do use them but... no thanks.

A very viable alternative is the A* Scout WP - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/24739/ITEM/Alpinestars-Scout-WP-Boots.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

I found a pair of these at a local shop super cheap and picked them up a couple months ago and have been very impressed. They're incredibly comfortable, still offer a lot of protection (and are much stiffer soled / through the ankle than a true street or race boot, they put both my Vertigos and A* supertechs to shame for ankle support :aaa: ), but you still can easily walk around in them. Hell, I wore them on my trip down south and took a ~4mi hike across the Sandia crest in Albuquerque. My feet were fine :)

Yeah, maybe not the best idea. I do a lot of jump on and ride. Errands and such. Thanks for the info. I think the one you responded to was me because I'm so indecisive. I think I'll try to find a pair of Alpine stars on craigslist.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Crossposting from another thread where this really didn't belong:

Last night I had a dream that I was riding a sumo, doing wheelies in the alley behind my parent's house. The alley was magically dirt instead of being paved and it seemed really fun. I've never done a wheelie before, but in my dream I was a badass fuckin wheelie machine.

Anyway... does this mean I have to get one?

Once you go sumo you never go back.

Spiffness posted:

I've met 50 year old men who hop on supermotos and just become 17 year old hooligan retards. A supermoto is like a gateway drug.

loving this. It's almost like a high. When I'm on my sumo I have a poo poo eating grin the whole time and just look forward to jumping on it so much. I feel like I'm outletting all that stuff from my youth I wasn't able to do. Hell, what kid doesn' want to tear up the streets on a dirtbike style bike?

bad-yeti posted:

I'm certainly not new to biking (only on the road nowadays to be fair) but I used to do a hell of a lot of motocross when I was young, well, until I broke my back that is.

I fancy getting into green lanes and doing some easy offroad so a supermoto would be ideal, the thing is it won't get a huge amount of use so I can't warrant spending a fortune, friends recommend the 2TT KTM 250 but at 6'4 and 17.5 stone won't that be a little underpowered?

KTM 625 SMC. Anyone you find will already have all the mods you'd want. Probably looking at around $3-4k. My friend has one and I almost love it more than my 690 SM because it's just...more obnoxious and loud I guess.

Also, I found those gloves. I have to have them. I must.

I didn't know KTM had a bunch of cool poo poo.

http://www.ktm.com/PowerWear.51.19.html?subcategory=&cHash=14144ccaff&category=1008

But I'm assuming it's all really really expensive. I also want that backprotector. How the gently caress do I buy this stuff? I see no prices or anything.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

bad-yeti posted:

Get a DRZ400SM. Or the 625, if you like really irritating oil changes.

And yeah, supermotos are pretty much the worst best thing that's ever happened to my riding career. All of the sudden, slideways is what you do for fun, multi-gear wheelies spanning multiple blocks, riding anywhere and everywhere...:wooper:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Christoff posted:

Its true, if you arent ready to own a sumo forever, then dont buy one to begin with.

I bought a DRZ-SM, made the mistake of selling it, and am currently looking for another one.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Then you'll want this as a tattoo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is the rider coming or going :ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The most painful tattoo

Yautja
Aug 16, 2010

quote:

Having owned multiple Sumos, i have gone back :D
Though it depends what you're intended purpose is i guess. Im building up another KTM 950 Adventure with a 19 / 17 wheelset and a 21/ 18 wheelset for Adventure and street hooliganism.

Its amazing what you can do on a 500 LBS Dakar racer replica, offroad & on the street.

Owned 2 DRZ400SMs, a Husky TE610 SM, an XR650R SM previous and loved em'

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That sounds awesome, post up a thread about your bikes and the stuff you need to do the conversion.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Spiffness posted:

I say this honestly though,
Motorcycles corrupt, supermotos are kinda neat, actually...

Fixed that for you...

I saw the original quote many years ago on a T-shirt.

Power Corrupts.
Absolute Power...is kinda neat, actually...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So....any suggestions on a good KTM orange colored glove?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Also, I'm trying to convince myself that pulling a loan from USAA to build credit (and cover the difference for a 08-09 SMC) is a good idea.

Help

I could sell my 07 690 SM for $5,000 at the most. But the freaking 08+ 690 SMCs are SO expensive. If I'm lucky I can find one for $6,000?

-edit - Can the 08+ ride two up? It doesn't look like it can in photos. My friends 04 625 couldn't. Well, it just didn't have the pegs. Nevermind. I just did a GIS and it seems they can..

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 19, 2010

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

bad-yeti posted:

What county are you in, BY?

Be aware that these days, thanks to the NERC Act amongst other things the amount of green laning you have access to may be very severely limited. Stringing together a morning's ride may involve 80% road miles and require the rural equivalent of The Knowledge to link byway to byway. As you know, a SM large enough to be happy wazzing about on our roads is not the best thing for a mud filled, 3-foot wide English lane where you will likely encounter walkers, pushbikes and ponies coming the other way.

Will this be your road bike as well? If not, I'd suggest a KDX200 or a CRM250. The 200 was an official import and I believe has road kit incl. an ignition key. 220 versions are the best motor, but all imports and AFAIK enduro-spec. Both bikes are almost as bulletproof as water-cooled 2ts get. A late CRM is probably easier to deal with, and both are great for taller riders.

Either should run you £600 for a munter up to £1k for a minter.

e:

I remembered correctly, UK 200s appear to have come with everything bar mirrors:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KAWASAKI-KDX-200-1990-ENDURO-MOTO-X-ROAD-LEGAL-/250728862411?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3a609ad2cb#ht_500wt_1156

separate oil tank and pump, full lighting kit and an ignition key

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201044372238028

Dealer priced, but that's a nice AR.

Both have the benefit of being small enough to use down lanes, "streetable" enough not to gently caress you right off getting between them, and tough enough that you can put a set of trailwings on them and ride to work 10k a year without an overly-tight anal sphincter and a hand permanently hovering over the clutch.

Saga fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 19, 2010

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.

Saga posted:

What county are you in, BY?

Be aware that these days, thanks to the NERC Act amongst other things the amount of green laning you have access to may be very severely limited. Stringing together a morning's ride may involve 80% road miles and require the rural equivalent of The Knowledge to link byway to byway. As you know, a SM large enough to be happy wazzing about on our roads is not the best thing for a mud filled, 3-foot wide English lane where you will likely encounter walkers, pushbikes and ponies coming the other way.

Will this be your road bike as well? If not, I'd suggest a KDX200 or a CRM250. The 200 was an official import and I believe has road kit incl. an ignition key. 220 versions are the best motor, but all imports and AFAIK enduro-spec. Both bikes are almost as bulletproof as water-cooled 2ts get. A late CRM is probably easier to deal with, and both are great for taller riders.

Either should run you £600 for a munter up to £1k for a minter.

e:

I remembered correctly, UK 200s appear to have come with everything bar mirrors:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KAWASAKI-KDX-200-1990-ENDURO-MOTO-X-ROAD-LEGAL-/250728862411?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3a609ad2cb#ht_500wt_1156

separate oil tank and pump, full lighting kit and an ignition key

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201044372238028

Dealer priced, but that's a nice AR.

Both have the benefit of being small enough to use down lanes, "streetable" enough not to gently caress you right off getting between them, and tough enough that you can put a set of trailwings on them and ride to work 10k a year without an overly-tight anal sphincter and a hand permanently hovering over the clutch.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in the UK, I didn't realise that they had clamped down so much on Green laning, is there certain things to look out for.

Are you sure that the 250 isn't a little small though (weight etc)

It won't be my main bike, this is just to mess around on ;-)

What about the KTM 250 2TT?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Christoff posted:

Also, I'm trying to convince myself that pulling a loan from USAA to build credit (and cover the difference for a 08-09 SMC) is a good idea.

Help

I could sell my 07 690 SM for $5,000 at the most. But the freaking 08+ 690 SMCs are SO expensive. If I'm lucky I can find one for $6,000?

-edit - Can the 08+ ride two up? It doesn't look like it can in photos. My friends 04 625 couldn't. Well, it just didn't have the pegs. Nevermind. I just did a GIS and it seems they can..

I built my credit score with my bike loans. It may not have been ideal, but sure was a lot more fun than credit card debt. Probably shouldn't reach out to CA goons for financing advice though, especially the SM thread. Where bad ideas are grown into well executed ideas.

You can ride two up on a 690 SMC. I do it quite a bit. I wouldn't do longer trips on it, but the bike doesn't mind. Be careful though, many a purse/bag/coat has been burnt to poo poo on the exhaust tip.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Spiffness posted:

I built my credit score with my bike loans. It may not have been ideal, but sure was a lot more fun than credit card debt. Probably shouldn't reach out to CA goons for financing advice though, especially the SM thread. Where bad ideas are grown into well executed ideas.

You can ride two up on a 690 SMC. I do it quite a bit. I wouldn't do longer trips on it, but the bike doesn't mind. Be careful though, many a purse/bag/coat has been burnt to poo poo on the exhaust tip.

Oh finances isn't really a problem. I have a steady paycheck for the next 4 years at least. I have little credit, none bad, and need to build some up via a loan or something. And I want an SMC. So I put two and two together.....

I'd pretty much just be taking a personal loan for, say $3,000? 2 of that AT MOST to cover the difference in prices.

Spiff, I know you already told me, but. The 08 and 09 SMC is exactly the same? Where the 2010 is just 50% more expensive and white? How much of a difference will I notice from the 690 SM? I mean, the SMC is pretty much the best enduro/sumo right now, eh?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There are two differences between the 2008 and 2009/10 models, aside from color (2010 sees white plastics).

1) The 2009 had the fixed gauge cluster already installed. 2008 models could fog up, most did. This is a recall/lifetime warranty thing now though, so if you buy a 2008, and it fogs up, you can always, always get a new one, free of charge installed at KTM dealer. That goes for 2009 or 10's if it happens, but it's really just a 08 issue.
2) For the 2009s, KTM raised the prices of all their bikes $1,000 to combat inflation, which was what KTM has told me. So there was a price hike.

I've never seen a new 2008 anywhere, there are 2009 stock on show floors still. In our area, you *can* get a SMC for $6500, but it is a rare thing. You'll probably have to be open to doing a fly-n-ride or getting one crated to you, or being patient.

The differences between the SMC and the SM aren't going to be life changing, but they will be noticeable. It's lighter, faster and better, with more suspension travel, a different look (which I know you prefer), and I think it's a bit more comfortable with having the under tail gas tank, gives you more seat to use and a flatter profile.

The power is very similar, but the weight is less. I've sat on a 690 SM but I've never ridden one, so I can't speak directly for what they feel like to ride back to back.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

When you say getting one for $6,500 is a rare thing. Do you mean brand new or what? I see 08s and 09s on craigslist here and there. Usually around high $6k up to $8k.

I also love the idea of the under tail exhaust. Because if I drop my bike boom there goes half of that $1,000 leo vince exhaust.

I think I'll just try to find a 08 that has quite a bit of miles and maybe has some scuffs here and there to lower the price.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiff says that because he doesn't live in CA. There's a couple of them available for 6-8k in CA at any given time. You might be traveling a ways to find it, but they are definitely out here.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Spiff says that because he doesn't live in CA. There's a couple of them available for 6-8k in CA at any given time. You might be traveling a ways to find it, but they are definitely out here.

Coincidentally, I'm thinking of picking up an SM or an SMC (maybe a Duke, if I find one cheap enough) in Spring - most of my riding is back-road commuting these days, so while I like my Hornet, without the time to do trackdays (kids), I don't necessarily need all that power.

I know a few goons have SMCs - is the handling materially more "SM" than the SM? My impression is basically the Duke is the most "streetbike" of them, the SM is a bit more, well, SM, and the SMC is what it says, a proper supermoto chassis setup.

The SMC's 139 kilo weight definitely appeals, but on the other hand, I'm probably the only person in existence who really likes The Beak, and truly hard-core SM handling isn't necessarily ideal for road use. I won't particularly see any benefit on my commute from lock-to-lock weaving trying to go in a straight line at over 60mph or having to sit on the headlamp bracket to get the front end to hook up.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Saga posted:

...but on the other hand, I'm probably the only person in existence who really likes The Beak.
You are not.

I'd love to find someone who had a Beak available as a takeoff after replacing their lights. I'd put it on the DRZ.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

More than anything what makes the SMC less street-able than the SM or the Duke, to some people, would be the super eager throttle. The bike likes to GO, and ON-OFF throttle movements will jerk you about till you get the style of the bike and learn the finesse. Some people, like myself, really like that. The bike is always eager to launch, ready to go, and a slight twist gives you a huge forward blast of momentum. However, trolling along in traffic or really low speed maneuvers, it can throw you off at first and puts some people off.

If you are cross shopping a 690 Duke, a 690 SM and a 690 SMC you are one of the luckiest bike buyers on the market. All three of them are fabulous bikes. If you are back roads commuting & weekend blasting, none of them will do you wrong. In that case I might steer you more to the 690 Duke, as it's slightly more comfortable and slightly more street oriented, plus its so drat cool.

Honestly though, there are pretty small differences between those bikes for what you intend to use it for. Ground clearance wont play much into it, and you really can't go wrong. I'd suggest you stop by a KTM dealer and do some bike sitting, get a feel for what fits you best and which cockpit you like the most and see what you find for sale.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'd really like to ride a duke. I almost got one instead of my SM. They look different in a good way. It's like a dumbed down street sumo that still has a lot of suspension travel. So they still have the 690 motor, therefore are they slower than the SM and SMC because of weight? I'm assuming they weigh more. I bet they haul n the twisties.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

More than anything what makes the SMC less street-able than the SM or the Duke, to some people, would be the super eager throttle. The bike likes to GO, and ON-OFF throttle movements will jerk you about till you get the style of the bike and learn the finesse. Some people, like myself, really like that. The bike is always eager to launch, ready to go, and a slight twist gives you a huge forward blast of momentum. However, trolling along in traffic or really low speed maneuvers, it can throw you off at first and puts some people off.

If you are cross shopping a 690 Duke, a 690 SM and a 690 SMC you are one of the luckiest bike buyers on the market. All three of them are fabulous bikes. If you are back roads commuting & weekend blasting, none of them will do you wrong. In that case I might steer you more to the 690 Duke, as it's slightly more comfortable and slightly more street oriented, plus its so drat cool.

Honestly though, there are pretty small differences between those bikes for what you intend to use it for. Ground clearance wont play much into it, and you really can't go wrong. I'd suggest you stop by a KTM dealer and do some bike sitting, get a feel for what fits you best and which cockpit you like the most and see what you find for sale.

I honestly don't know why you'd choose a 690 SM over a 690 SMC. The SMC has a (slightly) bigger tank, better ergos for body positioning and scooting around on long trips, and more suspension travel. In my mind, there's only the Duke or the SMC here. The suspension on the SMC is amazing, I don't see any reason to change it to a shorter travel setup when you're doing hooligan things and might actually use that extra travel.

I'd buy the SMC if I was going to be doing gravel roads, jumping loading docks/medians/riding up stairs, and offroading. I'd buy the Duke if I wasn't planning on doing any hooliganism and wanted an absolutely awesome backroads scratcher. Seriously, I'd put money on anyone on a Duke 690 up a twisty road. It'd have enough grunt to hang with a big bike up to 90-100mph, and it'd have enough of a weight, suspension travel, and setup advantage to stomp one down any tight road.

I'd also personally prefer a custom configured 690SMC for long distance touring over any Duke 2 variant, but I'm really gay for bikes that sit you totally upright and give you a lot of seat room. With a rally style fairing on it, I think it'd be the most perfect real adventure bike ever.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

I honestly don't know why you'd choose a 690 SM over a 690 SMC.

Price and love of the beak. That's really it, but theres nothing that makes it a bad bike, just not as good as SMC. That difference may not matter in the context, so its worth considering in the running.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
IIRC the 690 Duke and the SM are basically the same weight, with the Duke having a bit more power, better clocks, the underslung exhaust and a bit more plastic.

I think the SMC would be the most fun, but from the sounds of it the throttle response might be an issue. I have to ride on freezing winter roads, many of which are untreated. The last thing you want is to crack the throttle and get a big slug of power when you just want a gentle push.

I had a Duke II, and that was surprisingly good at breaking traction if you wound it on from low revs in those slippery conditions. I'd hope the modern EFI on the 690s would have improved the delivery a bit, but it doesn't sound like it!

e: Z3n, there's someone who has the same idea around my neck of the woods - I was looking at an ad on Tuesday for an SMC with overlander stlye hard luggage. But yeah, as spiffness says, I could get a recent, decent SM with the crucial Akras thrown in for 3500 pounds. New SMCs here list at 8k or something crazy like that, and even used ones are a grand more than the SM, pretty much level pegging with the Duke. The SM is 90% of the good bits of the 690 street bikes at 66% of the price.

Saga fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 19, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Honestly, anything with that 690 engine is going to be throwing slugs of power down. They grip for days though, even in slippery stuff with the right tire. My 690 will break traction if you slam it on wet leaves of course... very easily in fact, but it just holds a perfect slide and you bring it back. It's more awesome than frightening, once you've done it a few times.

Feel free to hit me up on messenger if you want to pick my brain about SMCs and what they are like.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

I had a Duke II, and that was surprisingly good at breaking traction if you wound it on from low revs in those slippery conditions. I'd hope the modern EFI on the 690s would have improved the delivery a bit, but it doesn't sound like it!

I'm actually more of the opinion that it's their absurdly loving aggressive throttle cam. It's gotta be something like 1/5th turn, it's way overkill. It's fine once you get used to it though...as long as you have your levers adjusted right.

quote:

e: Z3n, there's someone who has the same idea around my neck of the woods - I was looking at an ad on Tuesday for an SMC with overlander stlye hard luggage. But yeah, as spiffness says, I could get a recent, decent SM with the crucial Akras thrown in for 3500 pounds. New SMCs here list at 8k or something crazy like that, and even used ones are a grand more than the SM, pretty much level pegging with the Duke. The SM is 90% of the good bits of the 690 street bikes at 66% of the price.

The 690 engine performs best with the stock exhaust unless you find the KTM master who can PROPERLY tune one. Not toss on the Akra map and say "Oh yeah, that's totally awesome". If you could pick up a 690SM for 3500 pounds, though, that'd definitely be reason enough to choose that over the SMC. The SMC is better but not 133% of the price better.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Tidbit of information that doesn't really apply for the type of riding you're going to be doing but w/e.

I will say my totally stock 625SMC was running with, and away from a 690SM on a full road course. Straights, corners, all of it. The main straight on the track we were at is out of a very tight chicane so it's basically a drag race. I would pull a little bit on this guy even with the 625's disadvantage in gearing. He did have some pounds on me though, dunno how much that was playing into effect.

Basically what I'm trying to say is you can't go wrong with any of them. If you like the looks of the SM and it's cheaper? problem loving solved. Go with that, it's plenty quick.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Random question. I'm still learning the sumo ways. I've kicked the back end out just barely on roads with dirt/gravel. I thought "oh poo poo"' and it was already over. I know "backing it in" is an art. But how do you regulate it? Hell. I don't even know how to initiate it. Slip the clutch? Most peoples first instincts if their back end was slipping would be to get off the throttle and stand up right. I assume you just want to keep on the throttle or maybe even apply a tad more?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ok, there's a difference between backing it in and spinning the rear out of the corner.

When you back it in, you're using the engine braking and the rear brake to spin the rear tire slower than road speed, causing it to kick out sideways.

When you're powering out of a corner, you're using the throttle to spin the tire faster than road speed to get it sideways.

So which are you wondering about?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hell, both? Is backing it in supposed to be faster in tight apex turns? Or just for fun/show/hooliganism

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Christoff posted:

Hell, both? Is backing it in supposed to be faster in tight apex turns? Or just for fun/show/hooliganism

It has the potential to be faster through very tight corners. On anything but the tightest of corners you're just scrubbing off too much speed to make it faster, but it does point you past the apex nicely. I see its real use being that it pushes back your braking zone further and lets you get a nice pass over somebody entering the corner slower, and then it's up to you to hold that pass for the exit.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

needknees posted:

Tidbit of information that doesn't really apply for the type of riding you're going to be doing but w/e.

I will say my totally stock 625SMC was running with, and away from a 690SM on a full road course. Straights, corners, all of it. The main straight on the track we were at is out of a very tight chicane so it's basically a drag race. I would pull a little bit on this guy even with the 625's disadvantage in gearing. He did have some pounds on me though, dunno how much that was playing into effect.

Basically what I'm trying to say is you can't go wrong with any of them. If you like the looks of the SM and it's cheaper? problem loving solved. Go with that, it's plenty quick.

Yeah, I've read similar opinions on the relative speed of the 660/625 and the 690. I wouldn't consider the old LC4 bikes however because of the dire fit, finish and materials. I looked at pictures of a few and had flashbacks to my Duke 2.

I'll try to organise a test ride next weekend and see which one works best. There's actually a clean-looking 8000 miles SM with Akra end cans nearby for 3,000 pounds asking, but there's a KTM dealer with two used SMCs about 20 miles away from me, so I'll try there first.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So I'm leaning towards the tech 3 over the tech 2 for daily motarding and the occasional twistie. What do you guys think?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2393894&pagenumber=143#lastpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Christoff posted:

Backing it in has a few applications. Mainly for low speed stuff, it lets you get the bike turned faster. It's also effective at getting the bike wider so people don't have as easy of a time passing you.

I back it in for a completely different reason though...I've always been poo poo at downshifting and blipping at the same time and backing it in allows me mash together downshifts without blipping, letting me stay harder and more consistent on the front brake. Backing it in ends up being a cool but somewhat irrelevant side effect to that.

• Locked thread