Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

- THERE'S A MARK ON THE UPC!!!!!!!

- This slipcover has too many stickers

- The first two had slipcovers and the third one doesn't come with one. I am literally going to die because of this.

- They cut out the horribly racist 2 seconds of this movie. That should be illegal. That is not how the movie was originally shown. GIVE ME MY loving SLAVE BACK.

- This Blu-Ray had 4 inserts, I feel 3 is an acceptable amount, but 4 is way overdoing it.

- The sticker across the top of the case pulled off some of the silver paint on the blu-ray logo. This constitutes murder.

Also, I didn't have a Blu-Ray player until last Christmas, but I'm over 100 now and I haven't spent more than $10 on very many of them.

It's been a good year for taking advantage of Blu-Ray sales between:
- the increase in catalog titles
- the used sale from Hollywood Video
- the massive Best Buy Halloween Sale
- DVD2Blu program
- Disney Blu-Ray Club
- Coupons on Disney releases

I've probably only paid $600-700 of my own money for what I have.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

I've heard that the Polish and Danish releases of Pulp Fiction are the best available (progressive, dual layered and region free) but I haven't seen either one.

There's also this Asian release, which is supposedly a direct port of the French disc without the forced subs. I have it (bought from that link,) and it looks fine to me, but I'm only watching on a 32". It's definitely 1080p though, not interlaced.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FirstCongoWar posted:

Digibooks DO suck. :colbert:

On their own, or mixed in with regular Blu-ray cases, they look retarded, but when you have at least three of them and they're grouped together they start to make a pretty nice collection.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

sportsgenius86 posted:

- They cut out the horribly racist 2 seconds of this movie. That should be illegal. That is not how the movie was originally shown. GIVE ME MY loving SLAVE BACK.

- How about they release 2 versions! One version for all the idiots who don't want the racism and like DNR, and how about a non-edited version without any digital enhancements. And I expect them to not only make two masters, but ensure both are equally available for me!

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

On their own, or mixed in with regular Blu-ray cases, they look retarded, but when you have at least three of them and they're grouped together they start to make a pretty nice collection.

Yeah. I only have one, it just kinda pokes out and sits there looking sad.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magic Hate Ball posted:

drat straight.

Click here for the full 1500x441 image.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

drat straight.

good lord

I'm confused as to what occupation someone could have that a) allows them to buy that many blu-rays and b) gives them ample time to watch them

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

doctor thodt posted:

drat straight.

Jesus Christ dude. I think you might have the worlds largest Blu-Ray collection, and that's just a tiny fraction of it, I bet.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

sportsgenius86 posted:

good lord

I'm confused as to what occupation someone could have that a) allows them to buy that many blu-rays and b) gives them ample time to watch them

Yeah, what DO you do, Thodt? I ask respectfully, of course.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Jesus Christ dude. I think you might have the worlds largest Blu-Ray collection

Fortunately not even close. I've been downsizing a lot of the free garbage I've held on to as well, to free up some shelf space and make my collection a touch more respectable.

OGB posted:

Yeah, what DO you do, Thodt? I ask respectfully, of course.

Semi-professional Blu-Ray collector :smug:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Semi-professional Blu-Ray collector :smug:

I believe this.

I'm starting to build a fairly hefty Blu-Ray collection too, but I know it's not a quarter as big as thodt's.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FitFortDanga posted:

I believe this.

I'm starting to build a fairly hefty Blu-Ray collection too, but I know it's not a quarter as big as thodt's.

I'm sure you'll be thrilled to learn that 2 Fast 2 Furious no longer pollutes my collection. I dumped at least 100 titles - Legion, Alice in Wonderland, Night at the Museum, all kinds of useless crap. Though I still own all four seasons of Heroes, so I guess I've still got a lot of trimming to do.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

doctor thodt posted:

I'm sure you'll be thrilled to learn that 2 Fast 2 Furious no longer pollutes my collection. I dumped at least 100 titles - Legion, Alice in Wonderland, Night at the Museum, all kinds of useless crap. Though I still own all four seasons of Heroes, so I guess I've still got a lot of trimming to do.

I'll buy season 1 from you :laugh:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

doctor thodt posted:

Did you sell them to a re-seller or something. You could make some mad cash if you sold off 100 blurays.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

doctor thodt posted:

drat straight.

I just pruned my blu/DVD collection this afternoon, and admired my work when I was done.

Then I look at doctor thodt's collection and I just drool.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.
Where's the best place to get rid of DVDs/lame BDs for some cash money?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

doctor thodt posted:

2F2F is the only Fast/Furious movie I don't own on BluRay or (*sigh*) HDDVD. And I never will.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

William Pahllace posted:

If you're in a real city, there's always a mom and pop store that trades books/movies/games.

Some electronics stores do trade.

SAMart is doable.

Amazon and Half.com are really unreliable.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

William Pahllace posted:

If you're not selling them on CraigsList/SA Mart/Yard Sale, you're not going to get poo poo for them.

Trade them in at MovieStop or something.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I watched Sherlock Jr. tonight and it's another A+ from Kino. It initially looked odd in screen captures, but the weird texture is definitely subtle nitrate decomposition. In motion, it simply looks like chunkier film grain on contrasting edges.

The new Mont Alto score is perfect - anyone who had to suffer through that terrible Club Foot Orchestra score will love this. Best of all, there's a few bits of refound footage. A brief section of 16mm fills in a continuity gap in the shot of Buster going into the movie, plus another trick shot at the pool table is restored from a 35mm dupe. No DVNR, no edge enhancement, no dirt/scratch cleanup. It's pure.

Three Ages is a bit tattered - lots of nitrate decomposition, but not bad enough to make it unwatchable. I was surprised by how nice the photographic quality looks. At least it's included.

One big surprise is the extra D.W. Griffith short, which was remastered in HD and looks fantastic. There's also a great HD clip from Our Hospitality in the making-of featurette for Sherlock Jr.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Anyone interested in "blu-ray sperglords" needs to watch this gem, a "video review" on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R4Z6GC1OYW013/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003F18008&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

Hard to believe.

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 19, 2010

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Anyone interested in "blu-ray sperglords" needs to watch this gem, a "video review" on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R4Z6GC1OYW013/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003F18008&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

Hard to believe.
I feel superior to this double feature buying plebian :smugbert:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Amazon's schedule of 'Black Friday' DVD/BD deals:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=s9_al_gw_feat?ie=UTF8&docId=1000452571

I find it interesting that Back to the Future is going to be featured the Monday after Thanksgiving.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Kinda bummed theres no fuckin way they will get 50,000 likes for the Mad Men deal

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Harlock posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=s9_al_gw_feat?ie=UTF8&docId=1000452571

I find it interesting that Back to the Future is going to be featured the Monday after Thanksgiving.
Might end up getting Harry Potter after all

I wonder how much sleep I'm going to miss over this... they expect me to be up at 4:30 AM PST for some of these?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 19, 2010

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Hard to believe.

Shrek: Techie Sperglord

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Harlock posted:

Kind of disappointing how many appear to be DVD version only. Hopefully that page is just ambiguous, but all the ones explicitly labeled as [Blu-ray] make me think otherwise.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

sportsgenius86 posted:

good lord

I'm sure his collection is a monster, but come on, as a sports fan you should know just how much time and cash people can dedicate to a hobby. Hell, one pro football game is as long as 2 movies, and if you don't watch football...

I know you didn't ask me, but I aspire to be a collector like the good doctor; I work a regular white collar job, I don't sleep very much, I don't watch network TV, and I don't have a monster cable tv package. My cable costs $18 a month. So I have tons of time for work, chores, non-movie hobbies, and still plenty left over for watching movies or tv. I easily watch a movie a day, either from my library or from netflix. And part of the ritual of buying a new movie (for me, anyway) is watching it immediately. I only have around 150 blu-rays, many of which I've only watched once. It's easy and not horribly expensive to consistently buy two or three a month which builds a collection fast. I buy between 4 and 6 a month, and it still costs me less than $100 a month which is on the low end of what premium cable costs these days.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

doctor thodt posted:

Bought some new shelves in the hope that they'd free up a ton of space for me to house future acquisitions.

Click here for the full 1600x1168 image.

:sigh:

Just quoting this from June, for those who never saw it and think that digibook picture is "Holy crap how do you have so many blu-rays."

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That looks modest compared to now :saddowns:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

hahaha give us an update doc

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Looks like those cheap 2-packs are starting to ship from Amazon. I have Crank/Crank 2 on the way and Terminator 2/Total Recall being "prepared for shipping"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

doctor thodt posted:

Bought some new shelves in the hope that they'd free up a ton of space for me to house future acquisitions.

doctor thodt posted:

Marry me

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

doctor thodt posted:

They're all alphabetized too

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's not the order Criterions go in. :argh:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't judge me.

Click here for the full 2048x1300 image.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

All those movies and Dirty loving Dancing gets the top slot? That's somethin else.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Too tall for the shelf, thassall.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

If you had to get rid of one of those entire shelves right now, which would it be? Looks like middle's the only one without Criterions, but that's a whole buncha good TV shows on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This is a bit off topic, but where did you get those shelves?

• Locked thread