Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Shiki Dan posted:

I believe Meltzer mentioned that after Hogan got his win back from Warrior and just before Yoko died (late 98'-early 99'), Hogan was campaigning for WCW to hire Yokozuna.

And the thing about that is that regardless of WM3, Hogan would have had the opportunity to attempt to slam a 700+ pound man. Yokozuna was not doing good in 99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Did Hogan ever lose to Andre after WM3? It'd explain why Big Show had the Andre's son gimmick.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This definitely seems like the case - at least the part about the older guys seeing it as important. Whenever I see it mentioned it's usually guys like Hogan and Triple H being mentioned so it must be the top tier guys getting crazy about it.

The older guys came up in a different time period when wins and losses were actually serious. The current thinking is "it's all fake so they don't matter" but the guys left over with the old school thinking use it to their advantage. It isn't even getting crazy about it, it's logical to Hogan or HHH that "I'm the big star and draw so I should be a winner." The current reality is in the middle. The fans know everything is fake so wins and losses are not seen as big deals for established stars. However, when they're building up a star they're important because they tell the audience "This wrestler is important." So when Evan Bourne beat Chris Jericho it told the fans "Hey, Evan is a guy we're giving a shot." Then the next night, when he lost the fans saw it as WWE giving up on Bourne. Plus the fact that fans expect even-steven booking makes it tough for a win to mean as much in the first place, before the writers piss the value away.

tzirean posted:

To some wrestlers, it matters for real. There's a significant number of people who suspect the driving force behind WCW hiring the Warrior was Hogan wanting to get his WM6 win back.

I'm pretty sure that Bischoff has said this.

Endorph posted:

Did Hogan ever lose to Andre after WM3? It'd explain why Big Show had the Andre's son gimmick.

Yes, Saturday Night's Main Event. He then had a double DQ at Wrestlemania 4 with Andre and beat him and DiBiase in tag matches with Savage for a while. Also a Survivor Series match.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Andre never lost to Hulk at Survivor Series.

I remember a famous NY show where Hulk beat Andre in a Steel Cage Match, but I can't remember when it was, or if it was even after WM3.

If that's the case, I don't think Andre ever lost to Hogan in a singles match after WM3...

EDIT:
Never mind, the Hogan/Andre cage match was at Wrestlefest 88, which was just after WM4 and in Milwaukee, not NY.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 18, 2010

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Shiki Dan posted:

Andre never lost to Hulk at Survivor Series.

I remember a famous NY show where Hulk beat Andre in a Steel Cage Match, but I can't remember when it was, or if it was even after WM3.

If that's the case, I don't think Andre ever lost to Hogan in a singles match after WM3...

ProFightDB to the rescue!

At WWF The Main Event, Feb 5th 1988, Andre defeats Hogan.
At WWF WrestleMania IV, Mar 27th 1988, a double DQ
At WWF WrestleFest '88, Jul 31st 1988, Hogan beats Andre in a cage.

These are their post WM3 singles matches.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Andre beat Hogan CLEAN at Survivor Series :smug:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Jerusalem posted:

Andre beat Hogan CLEAN at Survivor Series :smug:

According to Wikipedia, Hogan was the fourth man eliminated for his team when King Kong Bundy and One Man Gang prevented him from getting back to the ring, causing him to lose by countout. That doesn't sound clean.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
So Tyler Reks beat Sheamus clean too

man talk about doghouse

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

WeaselWeaz posted:

According to Wikipedia, Hogan was the fourth man eliminated for his team when King Kong Bundy and One Man Gang prevented him from getting back to the ring, causing him to lose by countout. That doesn't sound clean.

Yeah, Andre actually beat Bam Bam Bigelow clean that year.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
Then Hogan hit Andre with the belt like 14 times before posing for around ten minutes

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Uh, what about Feb 5, 1988? Andre beat Hogan for the WWF Title!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I have been wondering. Does Japan or Mexcio have a guy who is an equivalent to Vince Russo?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WeaselWeaz posted:

Andre was in the ring, Hogan wasn't, and Hogan actually chose to "chase" other wrestlers outside of the ring when the count was clearly being made, before making an "attempt" to get back only to be counted out. Nice try Hogan but we know the truth, you were scared of the winner and SOOOOOOLE SURVIVOR.

Andre beat Hogan. Clean. :colbert:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BigRed0427 posted:

I have been wondering. Does Japan or Mexcio have a guy who is an equivalent to Vince Russo?
Does Konnan count?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Whatever happened to Tiffany? She was suspended after that vague incident with Drew in the hotel, but that was in August. Is she still suspended?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Omally posted:

Whatever happened to Tiffany? She was suspended after that vague incident with Drew in the hotel, but that was in August. Is she still suspended?

Pretty sure she is flat out at this point.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Omally posted:

She was taken out of the Smackdown intro after the incident happened. I'm legit shocked that they have yet to release her officially. Maybe she's in a company-sponsored rehabilitation of some sort that requires her to stay on the roster and eventually she'll be back in her godawful ring skirt to reform Blontourage. Maybe Drew is keeping her in the company by the combined virtue of his continuing push and their marriage.

Or maybe she just hasn't answered her phone or front door in a while. Like Gieux said, she's probably out. 4 months off TV without a release keeps me from being absolutely certain, though.

Speaking of the ghosts of Smackdown, is Joey Mercury injured? I forget.

edit: Yes. Torn pectoral surgery. I really need to stop posting while I'm still looking stuff up. :downs:

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 19, 2010

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The charges were dropped against Tiffany, but as of a few weeks ago they had no plans for bringing her back.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
I have only seen one Motor City Machine Guns match. It was the fifth match in their series with Beer Money (a two out of three falls match) and it was great.

I'd like to fix my gross ignorance of such great men. Are there any sort of big compilations of good MCMG matches anywhere?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

I don't believe there is any proof of his obsession to it (just so OneThousandMonkeys doesn't throw a fit worthy of one thousand monkeys) but I believe Triple H would always get a win back on Raw or Smackdown after losing a match clean on PPV. It would usually happen in the calendar year.

It's so obvious that Triple H believes in old-school booking that one would have to be insane to insist otherwise.

As far as "getting a win back," the semi-disaster that was the Hogan/Shawn Summerslam '05 match was apparently because Hogan didn't want to do a previously agreed-upon rematch. Either that or Shawn was going as planned, which wasn't so bad since this was the best Hogan match in years and years.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's so obvious that Triple H believes in old-school booking that one would have to be insane to insist otherwise.

As far as "getting a win back," the semi-disaster that was the Hogan/Shawn Summerslam '05 match was apparently because Hogan didn't want to do a previously agreed-upon rematch. Either that or Shawn was going as planned, which wasn't so bad since this was the best Hogan match in years and years.

They were going to wrestle at Summerslam and the next night on Raw. Michaels was willing to lose at Summerslam if he could get the win the following night. Hogan refused so Michaels made him look like a twat.

Trapjaw
Jan 30, 2005

Sup, Haddonfield?
Maybe they could paint Somoa Joe like Kamala and make Gallows put on a mask and be Kim-chee?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Space Cob posted:

I have only seen one Motor City Machine Guns match. It was the fifth match in their series with Beer Money (a two out of three falls match) and it was great.

I'd like to fix my gross ignorance of such great men. Are there any sort of big compilations of good MCMG matches anywhere?

There's a TNA DVD with the "best of MCMG and Beer Money" but I don't know what matches are on it so I cannot verify.

If you want to track down some good MCMG, the only great matches that come to mind are pretty much any match they had with Beer Money (the PPV match that led to the best-of-five and the best-of-five itself), and the Kings of Wrestling match they had in ROH.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
MCMG-Briscoes was pretty loving good too.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

CVagts posted:

Kings of Wrestling match they had in ROH.

gently caress. YES. I'm finding that NOW.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

They had a pretty rad match against Apollo 55.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Space Cob posted:

gently caress. YES. I'm finding that NOW.

The ending is a schmozz since they can't lose because of the TNA deal, but the match itself is quite great.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

CVagts posted:

There's a TNA DVD with the "best of MCMG and Beer Money" but I don't know what matches are on it so I cannot verify.

If you want to track down some good MCMG, the only great matches that come to mind are pretty much any match they had with Beer Money (the PPV match that led to the best-of-five and the best-of-five itself), and the Kings of Wrestling match they had in ROH.

According to amazon.com here's the line up of MCMG matches on the DVD
Steel Asylum Match vs. Jay Lethal vs. Super Eric vs. Curry Man vs. Shark Boy vs. Petey Williams vs. Johnny Devine vs. Jimmy Rave

Cuffed In A Cage Match vs. Eric Young & Kaz vs. L.A.X. vs. Scott Steiner & Petey Williams vs. Rock 'N Rave Infection vs. Black Reign & Rellik

Steel Asylum Match vs. Kaz vs. Curry Man vs. Jay Lethal vs. Shark Boy vs. Sonjay Dutt vs. Consequences Creed vs. Jimmy Rave vs. Johnny Devine

Street Fight Match w/Jay Lethal vs. Team 3D & Johnny Devine

I.W.G.P. Jr. Tag Team Championship Match vs. L.A.X. vs. No Limit

World X Cup Elimination Match: Team TNA (Curry Man, Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin) vs. Team International (Alex Koslov, Doug Williams, Tyson Dux) vs. Team Japan (Milano Collection A.T., Masato Yoshino, Puma), vs. Team Mexico (Ultimo Guerrero, Rey Bucanero, Averno)

Ultimate X Match vs. X Division Champion Amazing Red vs. Daniels vs. Suicide vs. Homicide

I also loved their ROH match vs. Steen and Generico at Death Before Dishonor VI

Regina Phalange
May 22, 2010

by Ozma
I have a question. Why has Goldberg gotten so much heat from the IWC in the past?

I'm a former fan mostly (WCW around the millennium until the end of the Invasion angle) so I found myself watching through the majority of his massive unbeaten streak. I watched on as he destroyed everyone in the company, and it was incredible. Forget Superman or Batman, he was the real superhero to me growing up. The atmosphere always used to pick up when he was on screen, because you never knew what could happen - the Jackhammer on The Giant was one of the biggest moments of wrestling in my opinion, the pop he got during that match was awesome.

It just seems from the opinions I've sought on it that a lot of people out there are more resentful of him than most, and I don't understand it. Is it just a case of rose-coloured specs?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Regina Phalange posted:

I have a question. Why has Goldberg gotten so much heat from the IWC in the past?

I'm a former fan mostly (WCW around the millennium until the end of the Invasion angle) so I found myself watching through the majority of his massive unbeaten streak. I watched on as he destroyed everyone in the company, and it was incredible. Forget Superman or Batman, he was the real superhero to me growing up. The atmosphere always used to pick up when he was on screen, because you never knew what could happen - the Jackhammer on The Giant was one of the biggest moments of wrestling in my opinion, the pop he got during that match was awesome.

It just seems from the opinions I've sought on it that a lot of people out there are more resentful of him than most, and I don't understand it. Is it just a case of rose-coloured specs?

He's a pretty bad wrestler and depending on who you ask he has a lovely attitude.

E: Also, I recall him picking an irl fight with Chris Jericho and losing, which is pretty hilarious considering Jericho is like a foot shorter and fifty pounds lighter.

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 19, 2010

Regina Phalange
May 22, 2010

by Ozma
I was a fan more for the drama than the sporting ability - I use other sports to get my fill of the talent side of things. That's why I didn't get involved with wrestling again after that - the likes of ROH that you see these days with their 30-minute technical-fests don't interest me in any way at all. I tried, trust me.

The thing is, a lot of wrestlers have done something silly at one point - beating their wives/partners, cheating, abusing steroids, etc. I just see what Goldberg has done (pick a fight with Chris Jericho, and a fair feeling of over-entitlement) to be a drop in the ocean.

I don't understand the borderline hatred of him. I guess I could associate it with the fact he got a chance that maybe a lot of better guys on the roster weren't offered.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He killed Bret Hart.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Regina Phalange posted:

I was a fan more for the drama than the sporting ability - I use other sports to get my fill of the talent side of things. That's why I didn't get involved with wrestling again after that - the likes of ROH that you see these days with their 30-minute technical-fests don't interest me in any way at all. I tried, trust me.

The thing is, a lot of wrestlers have done something silly at one point - beating their wives/partners, cheating, abusing steroids, etc. I just see what Goldberg has done (pick a fight with Chris Jericho, and a fair feeling of over-entitlement) to be a drop in the ocean.

I don't understand the borderline hatred of him. I guess I could associate it with the fact he got a chance that maybe a lot of better guys on the roster weren't offered.

You are asking why the iwc, A large percentage of who value workrate and in ring ability above all else, dislike a man who:

-is a crappy wrestler

-thinks he is hot poo poo because he was a headliner in the dying days of WCW

-picked a fight with internet darling Chris Jericho

-had one of the worst Wrestlemania matches ever

-contributed to the end of Bret Hart's career, accidental as it was

And you still can't figure out the hate?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not only did he pick a fight with Jericho, from the account of that I saw he lost. So he can't back up his words, either.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Quite simply he is not the type of wrestler built for the IWC, but for the greater population of fans who want to see a giant dude wreck bitches.

I loved Goldberg.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Wojtek posted:

Quite simply he is not the type of wrestler built for the IWC, but for the greater population of fans who want to see a giant dude wreck bitches.

I loved Goldberg.

I have no real feeling either way about him, as his last match was about 2 months before I started watching wrestling regularly. I'm just answering the question.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Wojtek posted:

I loved Goldberg.

I did too. :)

I owned about a half dozen wrestling shirts. All of them were from the Monday Night Wars. Two of them were Goldberg shirts.

Regina Phalange
May 22, 2010

by Ozma

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

is a crappy wrestler
That's not why I watched wrestling. It's why I preferred the less technically talented members of the nWo over the likes of Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko - the allure of wrestling for me was because it was one big action movie, rather than a showcase of ability. In my opinion, that's the reason Ring of Honor is still at the grass-roots level that it is at, and a wrestling federation that involves women giving birth to human fists is right at the top. To put it another way, there are more wrestling fans like me than ones like you.

I admit he wasn't a great wrestler, but he beat the everliving poo poo out of people. And it was great when there was some mass-brawl in the ring and Goldberg's music sounds for a run-in. The combined crowd pop and the looks of utter horror on the faces of the guys in the ring was awesome.

quote:

thinks he is hot poo poo because he was a headliner in the dying days of WCW
Where is your proof that he thinks he's hot poo poo? I get the impression he thought he was entitled to more than he deserved at the WWE at the contract negotiation phase due to his achievements in WCW, but that's the only negative thing I've heard to that effect.

quote:

picked a fight with internet darling Chris Jericho
I have no opinion on this, I really don't like Chris Jericho. Mind you, my only memories of him are from WCW, a decade ago. From what I remember though, it was Kevin Nash stirring poo poo which he is almost Olympic-level at.

quote:

had one of the worst Wrestlemania matches ever
I don't think that match was his fault. He was at the end of his contract, and Lesnar quit to join the NFL I think. The two were promptly buried.

quote:

contributed to the end of Bret Hart's career, accidental as it was
What I've never been able to understand is why Bret still harbours so much bitterness towards Vince McMahon and the WWE in general (Montreal Screwjob, and Owen's death) yet has no issue with Goldberg, who has probably taken a small chunk of his later life away. Accidentally or not, it still caused him to have a stroke.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I liked early Goldberg when he was a hybrid wrestler who could do martial arts and power moves. Around 1999 they had him be more of a one note worker who only stuck to his power moves and that made him boring for me.

He was a little obsessive about himself but the guy honestly had undeniable charisma. We can make fun of him for giving enough poo poo about himself that he calls himself, "The guy who snorts smoke" but it's really no worse than Shawn Michaels throwing a hissy fit because Hulk Hogan won't let him get his win back (which the IWC loves) and people wanting WWE to stop deleting Chris Benoit from the WWE Library because they loved his wrestling so much (when he killed his wife and kid).

Goldberg is by no means worse than any other top guy in the 90s but he wasn't much better. When it comes to actual human beings, he has a clean record.

Regina Phalange posted:

What I've never been able to understand is why Bret still harbours so much bitterness towards Vince McMahon and the WWE in general (Montreal Screwjob, and Owen's death) yet has no issue with Goldberg, who has probably taken a small chunk of his later life away. Accidentally or not, it still caused him to have a stroke.

Bret blames the WCW Power Plant for improperly training Goldberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Lone Rogue posted:

Bret blames the WCW Power Plant for improperly training Goldberg.

Did anyone else note-worthy come out of the Power Plant?