Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.

Pluto posted:

Thanks! Of course I can't keep a secret and now everyone knows :)

Now when I'm a raging bitch at work I can blame it on my hormones.

This is the single best thing about being pregnant. Anything insane you do, you get an automatic pass.

Oh yeah, and you get a baby at the end, that's pretty rad too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Congrats Pluto! :toot:

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Congrats Pluto!!!

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Congratulations!! :D

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I might be getting health insurance in 3 months which means I can finally go back to my gyn and see why I haven't gotten pregnant in 2 years of trying. :ohdear:

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Congratulations, Pluto!

I'm going to take a pregnancy test on Wednesday. I stopped peeing on the ovulation predictor strips about 2 weeks ago because my cycle is all out of whack again thanks to PCOS (should have started my period like 4 weeks ago) and I didn't want to waste them. Last Sunday I felt some twinging in my lower left side and thought maybe I was ovulating, but for some reason had a giant brain fart and didn't think to use one of the OPK strips. Sex was had and today I've had a little bit of pink spotting- just a tad. I'm hoping it's implantation bleeding! It probably isn't so I shouldn't get my hopes up, but it's hard not to. Keep your fingers crossed, please.

Pluto
Apr 18, 2006

Weak.
Good luck! I didn't realize how anxious getting knocked up could be!

On another note I know I'm newly pregnant and all but OHMYGOD my nipples are swollen and hurt so bad. 8 more months of that is gonna suck. Always looked forward to the baby but not the pregnancy. Too bad the stork was a myth. :(

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Pluto, have you had your first doctor's visit yet? It must be exciting to be pregnant even if you're having some unpleasant side effects.

I'm a bit annoyed. I ordered early pregnancy tests from Amazon (the kind that can get results at around 8-10 days potentially) but they sent the wrong kind- they sent regular ones. There are a lot of irritated women leaving reviews saying the same thing. I know that it's not a huge deal to wait a few more days, but drat it, I want to know sooner. More so I can simply accept that I'm not pregnant!

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
How early can you go in for the first doctors appointment?

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Bahunter22 posted:

How early can you go in for the first doctors appointment?

Mine does bloodwork first and it had to be 7-10 days after the missed period. My first visit with the OB was around 7 weeks.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Good to know. I never really knew, but its a question I've had for a while. Thanks!

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Twatty, thanks for the info! I'll remember that when/if I eventually get pregnant. I'm still impatiently waiting to test in a few days.

I like to crochet and have started crocheting baby things, like booties and a stuffed bunny and I'm working on an afghan. I'd never made anything other than scarves before. I'm really having fun, and it feels like something constructive I can do while while waiting. I really wish now that I'd signed up for the Gimme/Secret Santa thing because I would love to crochet things for a goon baby! Is anyone else crocheting or knitting baby things?

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

I had my IUI yesterday. I now have a torturous 2 week wait until my pregnancy test. I can't take home pregnancy tests because I got a shot of hcg, and pregnancy tests test hcg levels, so it would be a positive no matter what (I am almost %100 certain of this, but I have no medical training so I could be mistaken, but from what I've researched, this is correct). So, this is how the procedure went. I apologize if it's TMI:

I'll start at the beginning of this cycle. I went in for my base line stuff once I got my period (they take my blood and do an internal ultrasound to check my ovaries and my hormone levels). The cyst on my right ovary had some itty bitty follicles around it and it wasn't causing any hormone disruption (I think they can elevate estrogen and prevent ovulation even with medication). I got a prescription for Clomid and took two a day, at night along with my prenatal vitamin and a baby aspirin (it helps with the absorption of the Clomid I do believe), for five days. That was Monday-Friday of last week. I went in this past Monday and they did an internal ultrasound and on my left ovary I had a few little follicles and on my right I had a great big one snuggling with my cyst. Since that one was about ready to go, they scheduled the IUI (for those of you who don't know, that stands of Intrauterine Insemination) for the next day. They gave me a shot of hcg and sent me on my way. So, yesterday my husband and I go to the fertility clinic and he provides a sample. They then wash the semen in a fluid similar to that found in the fallopian tubes (which is good for sperm, unlike the vagina/uterus which is not pleasant for them). The washing is to remove any dead sperm or debris. They need 7-8 million sperm post-wash to do the IUI. Pre-wash we had 208.84 million, post-wash we had 119.86 million, so we were well above what we needed. FWIW, my husband is 36 and I am 23. Next they inserted the speculum, then a catheter went into my cervix (not a pleasant feeling) until it touched the top of my uterus. It was on the border between discomfort and pain, leaning more towards pain. It was a sharp pain, like a large needle was poking inside my uterus. The sperm were then injected, the catheter taken out, the speculum taken out, and I laid there for 10-15 minutes. I then got dressed and we left.

So, that was the whole procedure. We were encouraged to have sex today and Friday, and I start the progesterone inserts on Friday (they are pills that are inserted into the vagina). If anyone starts progesterone I advise you to wear pantyliners! The Clomid cycle I did before also had the progesterone inserts and, as one would imagine but what I didn't think about, was that what goes in must come out, but it comes out gloopy. So I continue the progesterone until I go in in two weeks for my blood pregnancy test. They take my blood, I leave, and they call me a few hours later with the results.

OH DEAR GOD I HAVE TO WAIT TWO WEEKS. I'm not dying of torment at the moment, but I know it's going to suck soon. Luckily, the next two weeks are very busy for me, so hopefully that will help. I pray to the baby-making gods that this month is successful. I am very hopeful, which as I have said before, I hate, since I am cynical and pessimistic (not unhappy, mind you, it doesn't generally bother me that I think everything will end horribly wrong, I figure I just need to expect that and move forward). I don't think I've forgotten anything. As always, I've got my fingers crossed for all of you!

Grayscale Rainbow fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 19, 2010

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Moosephant posted:

Twatty, thanks for the info! I'll remember that when/if I eventually get pregnant. I'm still impatiently waiting to test in a few days.

I like to crochet and have started crocheting baby things, like booties and a stuffed bunny and I'm working on an afghan. I'd never made anything other than scarves before. I'm really having fun, and it feels like something constructive I can do while while waiting. I really wish now that I'd signed up for the Gimme/Secret Santa thing because I would love to crochet things for a goon baby! Is anyone else crocheting or knitting baby things?

This is half the reason I signed up for the Pregnancy Secret Santa, even though I'm not quite pregnant yet :).

Grayscale Rainbow, thanks for sharing your experience! All the fertility procedures fascinate me, especially as more time goes by for us with no baby and it feels like I may be there myself sometime soon. Have you had an IUD before? I remember when I had mine put in, it hurt similar to how you describe the catheter going in and was crampy for the rest of the day.

It's either 14 or 15 days past when I thought I ovulated, and NO PERIOD and NO POSITIVE TEST. The suspense is killing me! If it turns out I actually didn't ovulate, despite the 4 days of ovary pain and the first positive OPK I've had in months, and I'm in for another 50+ day cycle, I'm going to be so angry! Even if I got my period right now, this would be the first cycle that's around the same length as my cycles were before I went on birth control so I'd be happy with that too since it would be indicating things are finally going back to normal.

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

I had my IUI yesterday. I now have a torturous 2 week wait until my pregnancy test. I can't take home pregnancy tests because I got a shot of hcg, and pregnancy tests test hcg levels, so it would be a positive no matter what (I am almost %100 certain of this, but I have no medical training so I could be mistaken, but from what I've researched, this is correct). So, this is how the procedure went. I apologize if it's TMI:

You couldn't be pregnant yet anyway since it takes like a week for the fertilized ovum to implant. I'm on a two-week wait myself but for IVF. Good luck. :)

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Banana Cat: Nope, I've never had an IUD. It makes sense that it would feel similar though; it's all going the same place.

Farrah: I know I can't be pregnant yet, but that doesn't really make the wait easier since there's nothing more I can do for baby making purposes and I'm just waiting until my next appointment comes around :) Good luck to you too!

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Grayscale, thanks for sharing the experience step by step! I'd read what all IUI entails before, but it's good to see it written out step by step. I REALLY hope it works for you. What are the success rates?

I keep dreaming that I get positive pregnancy tests. This isn't fair because I wake up all happy and then remember it was just a dream. I'm trying to convince myself I'm not pregnant, and it really probably IS unlikely, but still. Damned screwed up menstrual cycle. I menstruated regularly for a couple of months after coming off 1 month of birth control, but now it's been a month and a half since my last period.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

This is late, but congratulations, Pluto!

I started my period just yesterday, giving me a 32-34 day cycle. Just started charting today and I am incredibly eager to see what the next month brings. Hopefully by Christmas I will know I'm going to get the best present ever!

Good luck to everyone else!

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
My brother-in-law just found he and his girlfriend of 3 months are going to be parents.

She's currently 6 weeks pregnant and from what little information I've gotten so far, she's healthy and they're amiably working together towards giving the child up for adoption once it's born.

I'm curious on his behalf of what his legal responsibilities to the baby would be if the relationship with his girlfriend goes south. Say that the adoption plans change and she doesn't want to keep the baby, or she wants to raise the child on her own. These are the type of situations that ran through my head.

Does anyone in this thread know the legal answers to questions like the ones above? Where else on SA or elsewhere could he ask?

To give the full details on this couples status:

He's 20 years old, not a U.S. citizen and is in the third year of his undergraduate degree.

She's 21 years old, a U.S. citizen and is a few months away from graduating with a bachelors.

Apologies if this isn't the right venue for this type of question. If I can't answer a question, I almost immediately think that some one on these forums can.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Blah, I'm out this month. My husband was pretty bummed too. Good luck to everyone else still waiting for this month!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

manchego posted:

My brother-in-law just found he and his girlfriend of 3 months are going to be parents.

She's currently 6 weeks pregnant and from what little information I've gotten so far, she's healthy and they're amiably working together towards giving the child up for adoption once it's born.

I'm curious on his behalf of what his legal responsibilities to the baby would be if the relationship with his girlfriend goes south. Say that the adoption plans change and she doesn't want to keep the baby, or she wants to raise the child on her own. These are the type of situations that ran through my head.

Does anyone in this thread know the legal answers to questions like the ones above? Where else on SA or elsewhere could he ask?

To give the full details on this couples status:

He's 20 years old, not a U.S. citizen and is in the third year of his undergraduate degree.

She's 21 years old, a U.S. citizen and is a few months away from graduating with a bachelors.

Apologies if this isn't the right venue for this type of question. If I can't answer a question, I almost immediately think that some one on these forums can.

This is the wrong thread to ask. This thread is for people who are trying to get pregnant.

There is a thread in Ask/Tell that's for legal questions Here's a convenient link for you: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 18, 2010

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Bodnoirbabe posted:

This is the wrong thread to ask. This thread is for people who are trying to get pregnant.

There is a thread in Ask/Tell that's for legal questions Here's a convenient link for you: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659

Possibly the single worst thread on all of SA he could have chosen.

In other news, my period is late but peeing on two sticks showed positive ovulation but negative pregnancy. I have no idea WTF my body is dong now.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

I Wish I Was posted:

Possibly the single worst thread on all of SA he could have chosen.

No kidding.

I'm on cd24. I think I ovulated between cd16 and 19. Fertility Friend isn't giving me crosshairs b/c I only have 10 temps for this month.

The 13th was my due date. :(

I'm testing on Thanksgiving if I haven't gotten my period by then. So, Thanksgiving is either going to be awesome or it's going to suck so bad.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I hope its awesome, fishandcandy!

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Fishandcandy, I'm truly sorry. I can only imagine what it's like to have your baby's due date come and go but not get a baby :(

I'm 99% sure I'm not pregnant. Not a surprise, but a disappointment for sure. I think I ovulated 11 days ago and I took an EPT brand test this morning, which was negative. So that's pretty much a guaranteed negative, right?

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Moosephant posted:

Fishandcandy, I'm truly sorry. I can only imagine what it's like to have your baby's due date come and go but not get a baby :(

You misunderstand her. She's saying her period is late. If it's not here by Thanksgiving, she's gonna test to see if she's pregnant. It's a good thing and I'm sure she is!

Moosephant posted:

I'm 99% sure I'm not pregnant. Not a surprise, but a disappointment for sure. I think I ovulated 11 days ago and I took an EPT brand test this morning, which was negative. So that's pretty much a guaranteed negative, right?

No, it's not. 11 days past ovulation you wouldn't know you're pregnant yet. Some people don't show up as pregnant until day 20 or so. But by that time you've usually gotten your period.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 19, 2010

Compo
Mar 30, 2007

Cats have been killed for less.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

You misunderstand her. She's saying her period is late. If it's not here by Thanksgiving, she's gonna test to see if she's pregnant. It's a good thing and I'm sure she is!

Fishandcandy lost her baby earlier this year, and the 13th was indeed her due date. Hoping for good news on Thanksgiving!

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008

Farrah: I know I can't be pregnant yet, but that doesn't really make the wait easier since there's nothing more I can do for baby making purposes and I'm just waiting until my next appointment comes around :) Good luck to you too!

Well, it took 4 IUIs (1 clomid, 3 injectibles) and one IVF (5 blastocysts from 12 eggs retrieved; 2 transplanted, 3 cryofrozen) and I FINALLY got a positive result! I was waiting all day for the call and it came pretty late but apparently they save the good news for their last calls of the day. Back on Monday for another bloodtest.

I hope you get good news too, but stick it out if there isn't immediate good news. It's a slog but it's worth it.

Farrah fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 20, 2010

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Moosephant posted:

It wasn't until I was 7 weeks pregnant (5 weeks past conception) that I got a positive pregnancy test. While I wouldn't get my hopes up completely in your shoes, I do know what it's like to get the negative, be totally bummed, and then get the positive later when other symptoms started popping up.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

fishandcandy posted:

I'm testing on Thanksgiving if I haven't gotten my period by then. So, Thanksgiving is either going to be awesome or it's going to suck so bad.

So hoping for a happy, happy thanksgiving for you lady!

Congrats to you Farrah...sounds like it's been a long road. I hope you are in for a happy and healthy pregnancy:)

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Congrats Farrah!!!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Compo posted:

Fishandcandy lost her baby earlier this year, and the 13th was indeed her due date. Hoping for good news on Thanksgiving!

Oh. Well poo poo. Now I feel bad. Sorry, fish.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
This might not be the best place for this type of speculation but about 3 weeks ago my girlfriend and I had some contraceptive free sex that did not go as carefully as intended. This was right during her ovulation, but from what I understand she had her period more or less as normal around a week later (I say normal, but she mentioned it started about 5 days early). Lately however since her period shes been sick/throwing almost every morning and having some pretty terrible mood swings. I know the next period or a pregnancy test would solve this, but our relationship is on the rocks right now and adding the stress of this would make things much harder. So internet goons of infinite medical wisdom, think my girl is preggerz?

A couple days after the night in question we both had a dream on our own that she was pregnant. Talk about forboding.

edit: please understand my intentions, i know most of this thread is for people trying to get pregnant and being excited about it. I'm not marking my calendar for the abortion clinic if this is the case. I love this girl tremendously and would marry her baby or not. All I'm trying to determine is how much I should be concerned about this considering the other troubles we're having now.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 22, 2010

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Honestly, no one from the internet could know if she's pregnant. Is it possible she is? Yes. Some women have bleeding that they think is their period but is actually from implantation. Or she could just be sick. The only way to know is for her to take a pregnancy test.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Honestly, no one from the internet could know if she's pregnant. Is it possible she is? Yes. Some women have bleeding that they think is their period but is actually from implantation. Or she could just be sick. The only way to know is for her to take a pregnancy test.

I know this is the cold truth, I guess I was just hoping for some leaning one way or another since we're going to be apart a week for the holidays and I wont be as able to keep a pulse on things.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Pretending she isn't won't help, I'm afraid. Unfortunately, as Grayscale said, the only way to know for sure is a pregnancy test.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Hot Jam posted:

This might not be the best place for this type of speculation but about 3 weeks ago my girlfriend had some contraceptive free sex that did not go as carefully as intended. This was right during her ovulation, but from what I understand she had her period more or less as normal around a week later (I say normal, but she mentioned it started about 5 days early). Lately however since her period shes been sick/throwing almost every morning and having some pretty terrible mood swings. I know the next period or a pregnancy test would solve this, but our relationship is on the rocks right now and adding the stress of this would make things much harder. So internet goons of infinite medical wisdom, think my girl is preggerz?

A couple days after the night in question we both had a dream on our own that she was pregnant. Talk about forboding.

edit: please understand my intentions, i know most of this thread is for people trying to get pregnant and being excited about it. I'm not marking my calendar for the abortion clinic if this is the case. I love this girl tremendously and would marry her baby or not. All I'm trying to determine is how much I should be concerned about this considering the other troubles we're having now.

This is stupid as hell. You think just because you ignore it it will just magically go away? If you and your girlfriend feel you're grown up enough to have sex, unprotected sex at that, then you need to act grownup enough to deal with the consequences. You're not a loving child. Take the stupid test and find out for sure.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Hot Jam posted:

about 3 weeks ago my girlfriend had some contraceptive free sex that did not go as carefully as intended.

With someone else or all by her self? If it was with you or another male, then yes, she could well be pregnant. Pregnancy tests are cheap and readily available.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

This is stupid as hell. You think just because you ignore it it will just magically go away? If you and your girlfriend feel you're grown up enough to have sex, unprotected sex at that, then you need to act grownup enough to deal with the consequences. You're not a loving child. Take the stupid test and find out for sure.

When did I say I planned to ignore it or said I thought it will go away? I know shes not willing to take a test until her next missed period which will be at least another week. I was just looking for a reference point as to how much thought I should be giving this until that point. I know nobody can actually tell me. Shes a fairly heavy drinker, which heightens my concern and makes it harder to sit and wait. Sorry to interrupt your gettin' knocked up thread with a question about gettin' knocked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Hot Jam posted:

When did I say I planned to ignore it or said I thought it will go away? I know shes not willing to take a test until her next missed period which will be at least another week. I was just looking for a reference point as to how much thought I should be giving this until that point. I know nobody can actually tell me. Shes a fairly heavy drinker, which heightens my concern and makes it harder to sit and wait. Sorry to interrupt your gettin' knocked up thread with a question about gettin' knocked up.

The problem is that there is no way for anyone to give you any kind of answer. Do I think she's pregnant? She very well might be, but it's also possible that she's not. You want us to tell you that she's not and that everything will be fine, but no one in this thread can tell you that. Your girlfriend can't even tell you that without taking a loving test. Refusing to take one IS sticking your head in the sand and hoping it will go away.

Have you two talked about what you would do if she got pregnant? Because her behavior, if she's truly still drinking heavily without regard to whether or not she's pregnant, probably indicates that she's in favor of abortion if she is pregnant. It could also mean that she's just in denial about the possibility, but if you don't know the answer to that question you shouldn't be having sex with her and you sure as hell shouldn't be doing it without birth control.

Oh wait, ignore that, here's the answer you're looking for: no dude, she's totally not pregnant, don't worry about it at all.

• Locked thread