Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I'm ordering a sealed case if I can get the cash together in time.
Then I will be happy to sell the extras at MSRP on Bricklink.
Because I am not a douche.

Oh god what a lovely snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Flavor Bear posted:

God drat it. With these coming out at Christmas there's no way I'm gonna be able to get my hands on 'em.
Those guys in that photo, from some new blog, Brick Pop, that started up last week, they bought 11 cases of those minifigs and even admitted that they were going to sell off the extras.

And then somebody commented on their blog and pointed out that a bunch of Series 3 cases all of the sudden popped up on eBay being sold from their area, right after they bought their 11 cases :downs:

I could understand if you were buying the cases for specific minifigs and then selling the extras, but selling the whole loving cases and pushing your blog as some service to the LEGO community and bitching that they wouldn't be able to get such high prices if only LEGO would produce more...

okkie
Oct 3, 2005

play nothing

So, what's the mark up on series one minifigs? I just was in the toy store looking for a present for my little nephew and they had a nearly full series one box on the counter.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

okkie posted:

So, what's the mark up on series one minifigs? I just was in the toy store looking for a present for my little nephew and they had a nearly full series one box on the counter.
Depends on the figure, but the interest in series one is waning. Most of them are on Bricklink at less than original price for just the figure, or slightly above original price for the full pack.

A couple of the series twos are still fetching a good price, obviously the Spartan in particular.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Decided to try my hand at Sky-Fi/Dieselpulp this time:

Click for flickr set!

This maneuverable RADAR-equipped night fighter was developed by North American at the tail end of World War II. The war ended before it could see any action, and only one prototype out of two remains in flying condition.

It's also a Vic Viper!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

3 posted:

Click for flickr set!

This maneuverable RADAR-equipped night fighter was developed by North American at the tail end of World War II. The war ended before it could see any action, and only one prototype out of two remains in flying condition.

It's also a Vic Viper!

Wanna zoom around the room makin woosh noises with that thing

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Super Waffle posted:

Wanna zoom around the room makin woosh noises with that thing

Me too! Whenever I build any sort of vehicle in LDD, I start to feel a little depressed when I realize that I can't really play with it. :smith:

So I tried my hand at my own Vic Viper. It's okay, but I need more practice.

And then went on to build this police trailer thingy.

EDIT:

3 posted:

For some reason looking at that is making me hear this.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 18, 2010

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I want to find out who had the bright idea to start pumping out light bluish gray pieces and punch them in the dick. They apparently stopped making the 'normal' light gray in 2008.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
You missed the bley hate-wagon by a few years :) Old grey's been phased out pretty completely, and everyone's just sort of gotten used to light and dark bley as the norm.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

EvilJoven posted:

I want to find out who had the bright idea to start pumping out light bluish gray pieces and punch them in the dick. They apparently stopped making the 'normal' light gray in 2008.
The switch to bley in '07 or so made me pissed enough to stop buying lego for a good 2 years after. I like the look of the new shade, and you can get some cool brick wall variation by mixing the new and old, but it STILL bothers me that all the old grey from the 70's to now is now incompatible. Nobody talks about the color switch anymore because it was really beaten into the ground when it happened, but... I still hate it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I just brought it up because I went hunting for 4 x 4 macaroni bricks because the 2 x 2 just don't cut it for a Tiger turret and then discovered that they don't come in 'normal' gray.

Back to the drawing board. Again.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.
This talk about changes to the color pallete of Lego is a good segue to this little piece of pixel art I just finished up in LDD.

Click here for the full 1419x929 image.

The first few I did were from old 8-bit games with limited color palletes, and were pretty easy. Symphony of the Night had 256 colors, which made it quite a bit more difficult to get everything to come out right. I think I did ok considering I only had a limited number of colors to work with.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Carbohydrates posted:

The switch to bley in '07 or so made me pissed enough to stop buying lego for a good 2 years after. I like the look of the new shade, and you can get some cool brick wall variation by mixing the new and old, but it STILL bothers me that all the old grey from the 70's to now is now incompatible. Nobody talks about the color switch anymore because it was really beaten into the ground when it happened, but... I still hate it.

Old gray and new blay work okay together if you don't have strong, pure white light in the room.

Old dark grey and new dark blay... :barf:

conscript salad
Oct 5, 2005
I am not allowed to post outside of CC or repsnake will hurt me.

Carbohydrates posted:

Don't get me wrong, I grew up with LEGO and will love them forever.

But some of you guys are as crazed as those Beanie Baby women.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I was approximately 1/12th rear end in a top hat today. I called the Puyallup Fred Meyer after coming up empty at mine, and they said they had some on the shelves, so I went down.
There was one box left, with 47 figs in it. I considered, then got them all.

What I came up with:
2 Indian Chiefs
3 Snowbunnies
3 LEGOlas
4 Mummies
3 Tennis Players
3 Samurai
4 Pilots
3 Racers
2 Gorton's Fishermen
3 Blacktron Cyborgs
5 Gorillas
5 Sumo
3 Aliens
3 Steroid Abusers
3 Wiggers
1 Hula Girl

Do we still have a minifig trading thing going on? I'd like to get at least two complete sets, maybe three.

None of the figs came with any extras, like S2 did. Only one trophy for the Sumo, only one sword for the Samurai, only one spear, one visor for each helmet, one tennis racket, etc.
Also, some cool stuff: there's printing on the snowboard, Legolas' ears are molded into his hair, the gorilla has a zipper on the back and the minifig head is sweating, and the ballcaps for the baseball player and wigger have stitch lines on both the cap and bill.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 19, 2010

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Just a heads up-TRU is doing buy one get one 50% off on lego (and transformers!) for black friday/saturday.

...if you want to deal with black friday crowds at TRU.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Hell, I'm in the Portland area and still trying to finish out S2, and I'm pretty sure I'm SOL. It's really hard for me to justify picking them up for anything more than retail (TRU retail at worst), but the completionist in me is just going nuts having only half of them on my mantle.

And, uh, it's driving the kids nuts too. Yeah, that. Definitely. They're...despondent.

Anybody in the Portland, OR area with extra S2 minifigs they're trying to get rid of?

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

AA is for Quitters posted:

Just a heads up-TRU is doing buy one get one 50% off on lego (and transformers!) for black friday/saturday.

...if you want to deal with black friday crowds at TRU.

gently caress that. Buy one get one 50% off sales run all the time. Besides you get VIP points if you buy from Lego stores or Lego.com. I racked up a ton of points last month since I bought what I wanted to get for the year. And no TRU price gouging.

Edit: /\/\/\/\Try places like Borders. They seem to have more than half non-book products. Its sad.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Dr. Platypus posted:

Have you heard much about the apple tree house? That one looks pretty nice in the picture, but has anyone actually built it?

I have all three of those houses plus the new City House that is out now. I like them all a lot, it sucks how few buildings there are in Lego anymore. The city stuff is basically all vehicles except big fuckoff police station, big fuckoff fire station, big fuckoff airport, etc.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

ElwoodCuse posted:

I have all three of those houses plus the new City House that is out now. I like them all a lot, it sucks how few buildings there are in Lego anymore. The city stuff is basically all vehicles except big fuckoff police station, big fuckoff fire station, big fuckoff airport, etc.

Not to mention those are more playsets than they are models.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
Pirates of the Caribbean.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-108925804.html

quote:

The LEGO Group and Disney Consumer Products today announced an upcoming collection of LEGO® brand Pirates of the Caribbean construction toys that will set children's imaginations sailing on thousands of build-and-play adventures. Scheduled to launch in spring 2011, eight new building sets will bring the action, stories and characters of the entire series of Pirates of the Caribbean films to life in LEGO form, including the spring 2011 premiere of the fourth installment, "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides."

"The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is a classic favorite among families and children around the world," said Jill Wilfert, vice president licensing & entertainment at The LEGO Group. "The pirate theme is always a strong player in the LEGO portfolio, and the Pirates of the Caribbean brand offers the quintessential pirate experience with familiar characters, stories and scenes, allowing us to develop even more authentic and exciting models for children and collectors."

"Collaborating with The LEGO Group on the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is sure to be another great example of how together, we merge timeless characters and stories with a versatile play pattern to create exciting ways to play for children and fans of all ages," said Vince Klaseus, senior vice president of global toys, Disney Consumer Products. "We look forward to giving children a chance to recreate the adventures from the big screen, while adding their own creative twists and ideas through LEGO building."

In a companion release today, Disney Interactive Studios, TT Games and the LEGO Group announced that LEGO Pirates of Caribbean: The Video Game is scheduled for release on multiple video game platforms in May 2011.

:circlefap: :pirate:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

tonelok posted:

Pirates of the Caribbean.
:circlefap: :pirate:

I'll display my Jack Sparrow proudly next to my Darth Vader and Indiana Jones. The licensed mini-figs are like manchild crack.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Hell, I'm in the Portland area and still trying to finish out S2, and I'm pretty sure I'm SOL. It's really hard for me to justify picking them up for anything more than retail (TRU retail at worst), but the completionist in me is just going nuts having only half of them on my mantle.

And, uh, it's driving the kids nuts too. Yeah, that. Definitely. They're...despondent.

Anybody in the Portland, OR area with extra S2 minifigs they're trying to get rid of?

I have a couple. What do you need? I have PM.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Spaceman Future! posted:

I'll display my Jack Sparrow proudly next to my Darth Vader and Indiana Jones. The licensed mini-figs are like manchild crack.

My older sister never liked lego stuff (she was raised on Playmobil), and even she loved the Indiana Jones minifigure I gave her for her birthday.

Everyone loves minifigs of their favorite characters.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How much wold it cost to make the XP-74 "Night Adder"?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Well Manicured Man posted:

(she was raised on Playmobil)

Why do people even make this comparison? How is Playmobil any similar to Legos, aside from the vaguest design similarities between the figures? They aren't(or at least weren't when I was a kid) building toys. You might as well compare GIJoes and Legos.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Claw hands, and a round head that you can plug accessories onto.

Red Octopus!!
Oct 27, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Just wondering, in that architecture line with Falling Water and such, did LEGO ever come out with a set of the Osaka Castle?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

A student posted:

How much wold it cost to make the XP-74 "Night Adder"?

It's 680 pieces, so around $70-75 I would gather. LDD pegs it at $154.64, but TLG's markup in LDD has gotten ridiculous.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I think this might be a bit too big for an airship.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
With a couple modifications and a tail, that ship would look like the Decapodian spaceships.

http://theinfosphere.org/images/thumb/d/d0/Decapodian_Warships.jpg/180px-Decapodian_Warships.jpg

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Spaceman Future! posted:

I'm big into getting LEGO versions of actors. It's funny having Harrison Ford, Jake Gyllenhaal(topless), an army of Sean Conneries, and 5 Cate Blanchett's (why not they were a buck each). Pirates means Geoffrey Rush, Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley, and hopefully Jonathan Pryce.

I'll probably just buy a sealed case for Series 3, that's what I did for Series 1 and I'd like to avoid running around with a barcode sheet to stores that are sold out. I wonder if a list of precise weights will actually pop up for Series 3, so I can hang out in my offices Shipping/Receiving area all day...

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

PeePot posted:

Pirates means Geoffrey Rush, Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley, and hopefully Jonathan Pryce.

And Ian McfuckingShane. The closest we'll ever get to an official Al Swearengen minifig!

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 19, 2010

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
I'm almost more excited that this implies a fourth pirates movie in the horizon.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Joudas posted:

I'm almost more excited that this implies a fourth pirates movie in the horizon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1298650/

Please note who McShane will be playing.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Pyroclastic posted:

That rear end in a top hat. 12 boxes, 720 figs, $1440 sitting on that conveyor belt. And I bet they show up on Ebay/Craigslist/Bricklink for $5 apiece.

Edit--
Ok, turns out the guy isn't a scalper, he's a minifig whore. He gave a talk at Brickcon about the collector figs, and he pretty much can't help himself. He bought them all for himself (with some trickle-down for his kids). And they (the guy in the picture isn't the whore) bought 660 figs, with the pictured guy taking 4 boxes and the whore the rest.
Still. Leave some for the rest of us!

No, you were right the first time, what an rear end in a top hat. I really want some Pharoah's Quest, but if I saw some at Target today, I wouldn't clean them out of every single copy of every set. Maybe other collectors want some? Maybe even kids want some? The guy's a huge hardcore rear end in a top hat.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Well Manicured Man posted:

I think this might be a bit too big for an airship.

Oh man, this is awesome as hell.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

PeePot posted:

I'm big into getting LEGO versions of actors. It's funny having Harrison Ford, Jake Gyllenhaal(topless), an army of Sean Conneries, and 5 Cate Blanchett's (why not they were a buck each). Pirates means Geoffrey Rush, Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley, and hopefully Jonathan Pryce.

I'll probably just buy a sealed case for Series 3, that's what I did for Series 1 and I'd like to avoid running around with a barcode sheet to stores that are sold out. I wonder if a list of precise weights will actually pop up for Series 3, so I can hang out in my offices Shipping/Receiving area all day...

If you get a Joker and a Luke Skywalker you will have two Mark Hamills.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Doesn't Alfred Molina have the most minifig representations? I read that somewhere but I don't remember which ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Super Waffle posted:

Doesn't Alfred Molina have the most minifig representations? I read that somewhere but I don't remember which ones.

Going off his wikipedia page,
Indiana Jones, Spider-Man, Prince of Persia

Assuming all those themes have a minifig of his character, at least.

edit: I was right

edit: breakin' tables

Sockser fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 19, 2010