Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Updates, updates...

The dealership screwed up and ordered me a 525 sprocket, so I'm still waiting on the correct one. It'll be here on tuesday. Plastics have been a work in progress but it's been raining at my friend's place so he's not painting because it's hell to paint in humid weather.

I went offroad riding today for the first time in ages, it was a blast, and we rolled DRZ deep...8 DRZs out on the trails. I'll try and get the pictures from TarzansPuma.

Also had a brake line break loose of it's moorings and attempt to commit suicide in my front rotor.

Stickers should be ready on tuesday. Waiting on a fuel pump and shift rod. I need to properly route the wiring harness on the GSX-R, install the PCV, and install the new exhaust gaskets that I picked up awhile back. Estimated timeline for getting the mechanicals and electricals done is by the end of next weekend, the plastics should get mounted and the weekend following. Not too far off now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Friend just forwarded me the higher quality version of the logo. Should have the stickers in hand tomorrow:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

DRZ army from this weekend:

Picture incidentally taken right to the left of where I proposed, almost a year ago now. :v:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

In before Z3n's big crash.

Jinxed mother fucker

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

In before Z3n's big crash.

Jinxed mother fucker

God you are the worst.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

On a hopefully dejinxing note, would it be possible to print the paint job on vinyl? If you had multiple copies of it, it would lessen the pain of a gravel trap cartwheel.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

On a hopefully dejinxing note, would it be possible to print the paint job on vinyl? If you had multiple copies of it, it would lessen the pain of a gravel trap cartwheel.

Eh, these are just test plastics anyways. They're hotbodies so they're made like poo poo and will pretty much shatter on contact with the ground in any crash. You can wrap bikes but it tends to be a huge pain in the rear end because of all of the complex curves. I'll pick up some higher quality plastics at some point and he'll do those with a proper air gun setup rather than rattle cans.

In other news:

Unfortunately, the printing press broke after the first 3 stickers, so...next week I'll get the rest of them. :v:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

...almost a year ago now. :v:
...is not!

W. and I were out to visit you two in *March*, and you hadn't proposed yet - or perhaps you had, but were keeping it a very super close secret? =P

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

...is not!

W. and I were out to visit you two in *March*, and you hadn't proposed yet - or perhaps you had, but were keeping it a very super close secret? =P

Was she wearing her ring? Haha.

I'd have to ask her when I proposed, I'm absolutely poo poo with dates. :ohdear: I guess regardless you're right though, it was about 7-9 months ago.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

I'd have to ask her when I proposed, I'm absolutely poo poo with dates. :ohdear: I guess regardless you're right though, it was about 7-9 months ago.

Jesus gently caress. Stickers, proposals, weddings and probably soon kids in a MC project thread. This won't end well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

Jesus gently caress. Stickers, proposals, weddings and probably soon kids in a MC project thread. This won't end well.

Nooo, gently caress no, no kids. She works with special needs munchkins so her job is basically the most effective way of quashing the biological clock ever.

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

There are no girls on the internet!

Z3n posted:

Nooo, gently caress no, no kids. She works with special needs munchkins so her job is basically the most effective way of quashing the biological clock ever.

I really hope she doesn't read your threads. haha. And don't always count on her job to delay the biological clock. BTW thanks for all your help on the bike. Although every time I finish something, I feel like something new pops up. (The bike is now making a popping noise). Anyway, hope to see you next weekend!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

I remember you popping in here and being all, "HAI GUYS GUESS WHAT I FINALLY loving *PROPOSED* TO my girlfriend!!!! Oh, and I did some bike stuff this weekend, too.", and it was after I got back from California, and may even have been after W. and I broke up.

In any case, I read that and was super happy for K. She's getting a good man. =)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

I'm filing this right next to "hold my beer and watch this" in the famous last words drawer

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Alright, updates! Stickers should be done on thursday.
I got my first wedding gift! Thanks to the generous person who gave it to me :)

Painting has progressed:

Friend traded the KTM for an 06 CBR600RR:

And I got a ninja 250:

Ninja 250 was 320$ with fresh tires, a new chain/sprocket, an oil leak, and 18k on it. I need to check the valves, change the oil, clean it up, and my little brother and mom will be using it for commuting.

:w00t:

Oh, the GSX-R?

Yeah, the chain that I have looks like it's a link too short. I still need to swap in the exhaust gaskets, install the PC-V, swap the tires, blah blah blah. I'll regain motivation to work on it when I have painted plastics in hand and ready to go.

And good lord, 250s are slow.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 17, 2010

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I have no idea how you pull off these amazing finds :(

That's insane.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sloppy posted:

I have no idea how you pull off these amazing finds :(

That's insane.

Spend a lot of time on craigslist, and be way proactive about contacting people. Getting this bike was like pulling teeth though, the guy took days to reply to emails, didn't give me his phone number or call me. I tend to just send an email saying "Hey, I'm interested in your bike, please call me as soon as possible at ###-####, or send me your number with a good time to contact you". This guy didn't call me despite me giving him my number twice, then didn't answer his phone for a bit, but I ended up getting through to him eventually.

I also have friends who look over the craigslists in their areas pretty regularly who will PM me if they see anything of note, that's how I found this one.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 17, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So maybe this weekend I'll get some of the plastics and the stickers, who knows. :v: Might not be until next tuesday.

Gonna tear down and work on the 250 a bit tonight, or I might not...need to see if the battery that came with the bike has been saved from the dead or if it's totally toast. Then I need to transfer the title over, maybe find a right side bar that's more straight.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 18, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HOLY poo poo that looks amazing!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Can I send you a self addressed envelope and 1 stamp in exchange for one of those stickers?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Once I get the stickers in hand, I'll post up here and send them out to folks. I don't want anything in exchange but a picture of where you put it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Once I get the stickers in hand, I'll post up here and send them out to folks. I don't want anything in exchange but a picture of where you put it.

Can I send you a stamp anyway?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Can I send you a stamp anyway?
No :colbert:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'd happily put one on my pannier.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Z3n posted:

I don't want anything in exchange but a picture of where you put it.

Careful what you ask for, people like Tsaven and I are reading this.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I'd happily put one on my pannier.

Raven457 posted:

Careful what you ask for, people like Tsaven and I are reading this.

Apparently people like Ola too. :v:

Fair warning: These stickers do not protect against pregnancy or any form of STD. At all. Don't try, and don't send me pictures.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Send me one, I'll put it on a ~special place~.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'll need a few, just to sticker over the damage you did while you visited.

to my heart

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

I'll need a few, just to sticker over the damage you did while you visited.

to my heart

:3:

Maybe we can fix you with a haze of small displacement 2 stroke smoke and adventure.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I would dig one. It'll look good on the Ninja after I use it as a plastics repair crash course. :v:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
I'll take two.
One for the DRZ
One for the place where the coke goes on the hood of the M3. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, my friend's a bit pissed about how poorly the repair job on the tail plastics has gone, but I've got him pretty steadily chanting "Track plastics" as he works now, and I think he'll make it through ok.

He has the worst camera skills ever.

He also ordered up another 60 3 inch stickers and 60 of just the Z3n 3, without the background, so I'll definitely have enough to go around. I honestly didn't expect so much interest in them. You guys are the best :3:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 20, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm going to come down there and run into you more with my 690 and every time put another Z3n sticker on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's been a busy weekend...

On Saturday I adjusted the valves on the 250 with the help of a friend from college (who also happens to be a goon) and helped tarzans puma pinchflat his tubes.

Today I fixed the wiring harness on the gsxr, routed everything correctly, installed the pc-v, the zbomb, and installed fresh exhaust gaskets. I also flushed the coolant system. Ordered a chain of the correct length, all that's really left is installing the chain, the takeoffs, and the fairings an it'll be ready for a test ride.

The 250 has been a happy and willing companion, I'll have the registration and insurance on that sorted out tomorrow.

Finally:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
I'm just going to leave this here for you.

(Well, more for your lovely wife, really.)

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/11/fords-diy-kit-lets-your-fiesta-fly

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

I'm just going to leave this here for you.

(Well, more for your lovely wife, really.)

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/11/fords-diy-kit-lets-your-fiesta-fly

One day I will do that.

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

There are no girls on the internet!

Z3n posted:

On Saturday I adjusted the valves on the 250 with the help of a friend from college (who also happens to be a goon) and helped tarzans puma pinchflat his tubes.

I don't think you can call it helping when it took about four hours to do. But I appreciate learning how to do it. :)

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Z3n posted:

Alright, updates! Stickers should be done on thursday.
I got my first wedding gift! Thanks to the generous person who gave it to me :)

I've got one of those as my rolling cart also. You can unbolt the locking blocks at the back (the piece with the bar coming out) so you can open the drawers with the top closed. Also get some of the paint from HD (or where ever) that has "grit" in it. Sort of like a thin truck bed liner stuff, for the top of the big opening. I had stuff slide off when sitting on that paint when I'd place something there to then move around the shop. I've got mine loaded down with zero issues so far after almost 2 yrs of weekly use.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Arcane posted:

I don't think you can call it helping when it took about four hours to do. But I appreciate learning how to do it. :)

You try to be nice, and what do you get? ;)

Tindjin posted:

I've got one of those as my rolling cart also. You can unbolt the locking blocks at the back (the piece with the bar coming out) so you can open the drawers with the top closed. Also get some of the paint from HD (or where ever) that has "grit" in it. Sort of like a thin truck bed liner stuff, for the top of the big opening. I had stuff slide off when sitting on that paint when I'd place something there to then move around the shop. I've got mine loaded down with zero issues so far after almost 2 yrs of weekly use.

I actually like the locking drawers as it sits right in front of the car and our garage is slightly slanted towards the entrance, so sometimes it likes to eject it's drawers at the car. That's a good tip on the top of it though, I might even line the trays with it.

What I'd really like is a second handle on it and the ability to just toss the tool box part into the back of the truck for trackdays...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It photographs better than it looks in person but track bike, track plastics. Getting near to completion though. Also I finally have stickers in hand. Email me your address at conan d at g mail and I'll get some out to you.

• Locked thread