Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm starting to wonder what the actual benefit is to individually briefing the cases. Honestly, I already understand the cases as is, but it just saves me hours to just read Legalines and not bother reading Yeazell's paperweight and I understand the material far better than anyone who just struggled through reading the book.

I mean, unless the test busts out with, "what's the name of the plaintiff's brother in Interational Shoe!" I'm not getting how it's any more useful.

It's not useful in the least except as an aid if you get cold-called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

evilweasel posted:

It's not useful in the least except as an aid if you get cold-called.

Everyone stops briefing by second semester of 1L

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not getting how it's any more useful.

You have just won the game.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
http://burneylawfirm.com/blog/2010/11/15/the-law-students-lament/

I don't think I've ever read a more clueless and loving :smuggo: assessment of the predicament of law students.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Defleshed posted:

I don't think I've ever read a more clueless and loving :smuggo: assessment of the predicament of law students.

I like the self-righteousness from a white collar criminal defense lawyer.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Defleshed posted:

Yes, I recall my vote for Mr. Burney as the chief welcomer/voice of our profession two years ago. This is not the change I voted for!

cendien
Sep 14, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm starting to wonder what the actual benefit is to individually briefing the cases. Honestly, I already understand the cases as is, but it just saves me hours to just read Legalines and not bother reading Yeazell's paperweight and I understand the material far better than anyone who just struggled through reading the book.

I mean, unless the test busts out with, "what's the name of the plaintiff's brother in Interational Shoe!" I'm not getting how it's any more useful.

As a 1L my opinion probably doesn't make a big difference, but I pretty much stopped reading the casebooks a while ago. Online briefs and Casenote Legal Briefs have gotten me through classes just fine, and I feel like I get the same out of them as I do from reading the cases.

Yeah, its good to know how to read cases and all that, but after a while it just becomes a huge time suck and there are much better ways to study. Spending time with the hornbooks and outlines has been a lot more helpful to me than piecing the law together, one obscure case at a time.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I want to post a comment that lays out the facts, but I can't be bothered to register a temporary gmail account.

But wow is that guy annoying. He graduated from GULC in the nineties, and he thinks he has perspective on what current law school grads are facing? Get real.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Soothing Vapors posted:

My prelaw advisor has invited me back to my undergrad to give a talk to his prelaw dumbs about law school and the law school experience. I have 15 minutes plus a guided question/answer session to fill.

I am considering silently taking the podium, and then wordlessly dousing myself in kerosene and setting myself ablaze. As my skin peels away and the fat of my body renders away from my now-useless meat, I will marshal the strength for one final scream of "DON'T loving GO YOU RETARDS"

(seriously what can I really tell these kids other than DONT GO YOU loving RETARDS? the LSAT average at my school is like 151, all these kids are going to end up at Cooley, with no scholly. I think my advisor is expecting a "gosh law school sure is grand" speech, but I don't have it in me. he's a nice guy and I hate to disappoint him but I will not send more skulls to the skull throne)

You should absolutely tell them not to go, no jobs, etc. It feels good. It feels right.

Especially if you have better credentials than they currently do, since a lot of them will think "oh well he only says that about law school because he's dumb/a loser/I'm better."

Now that The Economist (caps) has written an article denouncing American law schools, you can pretty much Exhibit A that poo poo when explaining it to them.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Angry Grimace posted:

Don't forget that every 1L case is on wikipedia. Also, once you get really good you don't even bother buying the textbooks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

atlas of bugs posted:

You should absolutely tell them not to go, no jobs, etc. It feels good. It feels right.

Especially if you have better credentials than they currently do, since a lot of them will think "oh well he only says that about law school because he's dumb/a loser/I'm better."

Now that The Economist (caps) has written an article denouncing American law schools, you can pretty much Exhibit A that poo poo when explaining it to them.
I think I'm the exception to the rule since I attend a Third Tier Toilet, but I'm also going to work at my dad's law firm where I rather suspect I don't need credentials other than a license.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people are willing to blow a 1/5 of a million dollars in debt at an unranked school just to postpone actually starting their careers. Every time I hear someone say, "I want to do International Law," I just shake my heads. It's like they believe its some secret gateway to getting free trips to Paris or something.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Angry Grimace posted:

I think I'm the exception to the rule since I attend a Third Tier Toilet, but I'm also going to work at my dad's law firm where I rather suspect I don't need credentials other than a license.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people are willing to blow a 1/5 of a million dollars in debt at an unranked school just to postpone actually starting their careers. Every time I hear someone say, "I want to do International Law," I just shake my heads. It's like they believe its some secret gateway to getting free trips to Paris or something.

One of my profs did WTO poo poo and international trade arbitration for a paris based office and from talking to him it sounds like it's actually a pretty lovely gig

So not only will they never get to the end of the rainbow if they do they'll find a bag of poo poo not a bag of gold

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, if you have a familial connection then it really doesn't matter, but I'm still amazed/frustrated/cruelly smug when I hear, for example, all of the English majors graduating and boasting about "GETTIN PAID!" in law school for "Entertainment/International Law, or maybe just work for the ACLU or something."

People have this idea of an office in Brussels with all the luxurious trappings of fantasy, and somehow don't put together that this might be something other people are imagining and thus is unattainably competitive, along with all of the jobs you'd need to ever work your way to that point.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Soothing Vapors posted:

(seriously what can I really tell these kids other than DONT GO YOU loving RETARDS? the LSAT average at my school is like 151, all these kids are going to end up at Cooley, with no scholly. I think my advisor is expecting a "gosh law school sure is grand" speech, but I don't have it in me. he's a nice guy and I hate to disappoint him but I will not send more skulls to the skull throne)

You can rant and rave about law school and have these kids silently consider you a failure or you can tell them the "secret" to succeeding in law school. After giving this speech you are well on your way to building your "law school expert" resume. Here's your competition: http://www.lawschoolexpert.com/ She makes $1,500 for every loser that wants her to edit their personal statement.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

atlas of bugs posted:

To be fair, people don't listen even when they are told don't go no jobs die alone by those with better credentials. Everyone is a special snowflake, you're just jealous or an elitist.

So, awkward Thanksgiving to come: my cousin just found out I'm a 1L at Yale and is going to be asking me for application advice when he comes to Thanksgiving dinner. He has a 2.9/155. The next day we bury our grandfather.

Eeesh.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I don't brief poo poo but I do read the cases...it's not really that hard unless its some con law poo poo with 3 concurrences and a dissent, then just read the majority and the notes afterward

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Hey Vapors -

Honestly, you should tell your prelaw advisor that you will give honest advice to them but that it won't be all positive. It will be accurate and you will be fair but not gloss over the various difficulties.

If you're honest with him, and honest about all angles with the student, it'll be good. But you shouldn't lie (or ham it up) with any of them.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

all true.

but, still, you must remember that i played with the paramounts of free jazz, and constructed pieces with the "who's who" of experimental music.

simply stated, i am not blowing smoke. i have been there and back. i understand and appreciate and can jive with american musical fringe traditions.

i still loving, however, just want whiskey, beer, and some darkness of the edge of town.

that is why i went to law school. because i am too much of a square for the life.

but don't you loving DARE question my stock, don't you loving DARE question my fortitude.

i am the real deal, through and trough.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Elected President of the U.S., 2032.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

oOoOoOh an entire desk??? I'd take a picture of my bedroom floor if I weren't ashamed of it but the gist is that there are a lot of empty bottles and cans and I think even a jug in there somewhere. I get around by hopping

Defleshed posted:

Everyone stops briefing by second semester of 1L

I think I stopped after the first week. The only class I ever found it useful for was a bankruptcy class my third year where the adjunct was a WWII vet bankruptcy judge who loved loved loved to cold call and say "tell us about this case" that only had 9 people in it.

:siren:IN OTHER NEWS:siren:

My temp job is coming dangerously close to a permanent one. A copywriter position conveniently opened up and I applied for it and they're interviewing me on monday and I'm terrified because I don't really have the relevant experience and I'm afraid the theme is going to be "so we don't think you're qualified but we thought we'd give you a chance to sell yourself in person, GO" like that one terrible interview I had in law school that I still have bad dreams about occasionally.

Oh I hope I somehow get it though. Research and writing was the only part of the lawyer thing I liked or was good at anyway and that's basically what this job would be so...yeah I'm kind of making GBS threads my pants here

I hope they don't know I post here, I don't want them to know about the jug

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

The Warszawa posted:

To be fair, people don't listen even when they are told don't go no jobs die alone by those with better credentials. Everyone is a special snowflake, you're just jealous or an elitist.

So, awkward Thanksgiving to come: my cousin just found out I'm a 1L at Yale and is going to be asking me for application advice when he comes to Thanksgiving dinner. He has a 2.9/155. The next day we bury our grandfather.

Eeesh.

A friend of mine was asking me for application advice with his 3.1/153. He was looking at College of Charleston law. I told him that it wasn't even fully accredited. His response, "Well, they're probably gonna get accreditation." I was so stupefied I couldn't respond. In what universe is it acceptable to pay 40k go to a school that isn't technically a school yet?! That's like some wanna-be med student going to a startup Caribbean med school that is actually a beach shack with some test tubes in it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petey posted:

worryingly, that is exactly what my apartment looks like, complete with the cans of coors light everywhere on my desk (you see, it's where the wii/xbox is)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

evilweasel posted:

worryingly, that is exactly what my apartment looks like, complete with the cans of coors light everywhere on my desk (you see, it's where the wii/xbox is)

The cord or whatever that connects to my wireless router is too short so in order to boost it up it's sitting on top of a property textbook which is resting on top of an empty 12-pack

that's the least depressing part of my room

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Omerta posted:

A friend of mine was asking me for application advice with his 3.1/153. He was looking at College of Charleston law. I told him that it wasn't even fully accredited. His response, "Well, they're probably gonna get accreditation." I was so stupefied I couldn't respond. In what universe is it acceptable to pay 40k go to a school that isn't technically a school yet?! That's like some wanna-be med student going to a startup Caribbean med school that is actually a beach shack with some test tubes in it.

It's not even affiliated with CofC, it's just a lovely little private school. I'd say I don't even know why they thought SC actually needed a second law school, but it's not like we don't already know. Ugh.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gotta drink the high-potency poo poo like Oskar Blues' Gubna. 10% abv means after you drink a four-pack, it's like having drank ten lovely domestics. And it tastes better.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Right now, my favorite beers are, in descending order:

1: Schneider Aventinus

2: Piraat Ale

3: Weyerbacher Tiny

4: Gouden Carolus

5: Oskar Blues Old Chub

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Gotta drink the high-potency poo poo like Oskar Blues' Gubna. 10% abv means after you drink a four-pack, it's like having drank ten lovely domestics. And it tastes better.

High-potency for a toddler maybe, dogfish fort and dogfish 120 minute are where it's at.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

I am just a plebeian with common tastes but I love me a Smithwicks

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

You need to get yourself some la Fin du Monde

On a related note beer reviews are almost as bad as lies told by law school admissions committees: "notes of grain/wheat, pineapple, peaches, clove/yeast and some tartness. It begins with honey and biscuity malt and moves into light fruit with a hint of bitterness/light sparkling cider quality. The mouthfeel is coating, with moderate thickness and high carbonation."

It's just a loving beer jesus christ

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

You need to get yourself some la Fin du Monde

On a related note beer reviews are almost as bad as lies told by law school admissions committees: "notes of grain/wheat, pineapple, peaches, clove/yeast and some tartness. It begins with honey and biscuity malt and moves into light fruit with a hint of bitterness/light sparkling cider quality. The mouthfeel is coating, with moderate thickness and high carbonation."

It's just a loving beer jesus christ

Plebe spotted.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Green Crayons posted:

Plebe spotted.

Mouthfeel my d0ng

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
I'm so sorry Green Crayons. With a word like "mouthfeel" just hanging out there I just had to.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Feces Starship posted:

Mouthfeel my d0ng

The rumors about you and J.N. were true!

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

billion dollar bitch posted:

The rumors about you and J.N. were true!

didn't get this at first, thought about it more and then lollllllllllllll

EDIT: BTW we should do a lunch.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Aventinus :swoon:

I'm on a Weihenstephan dunkel hef thing lately though.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Feces Starship posted:

I'm so sorry Green Crayons. With a word like "mouthfeel" just hanging out there I just had to.
No harm, no foul as long as your dong is coated with moderate thickness.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Green Crayons posted:

No harm, no foul as long as your dong is coated with moderate thickness.

:smug:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Spider Chipmunk posted:

It's not even affiliated with CofC, it's just a lovely little private school. I'd say I don't even know why they thought SC actually needed a second law school, but it's not like we don't already know. Ugh.

Hey, I'd much rather be a miserable law student in Charleston than in Columbia, that's for sure.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

My prelaw advisor has invited me back to my undergrad to give a talk to his prelaw dumbs about law school and the law school experience. I have 15 minutes plus a guided question/answer session to fill.

I'm doing one of these on Saturday. I'm planning a slightly more intellectual/slightly less suicidal approach than you. But the message will be the same. I'm gonna close it by pointing at the pre-law advisor and shouting "And if she's told you anything different, she's a LIAR!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

evilweasel posted:

High-potency for a toddler maybe, dogfish fort and dogfish 120 minute are where it's at.

I tried the 120 once, it came in this adorable little chalice-thingy and was kind of like drinking wine. 60 and 90 are terrific, though.