Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Sharp_angus posted:

Did you smell your exhaust to ensure you're not burning it? There's only so many ways it can go down that much that quickly. Though the level changes with temperature as the engine warms up (I'm sure you know this already, I'm just saying.)

When I was idling it cold a pretty decent puddle/wet spot developed under the tailpipe and I had some white vapor or smoke. Once it's heated up that seems to disappear.

stik posted:

It may be too late.

It looks like you may have oil in your coolant. Does it have any history of overheating as far as you know?

Edit: unlike chocolate and peanut butter they don't make each other better. I had the reverse happen to me. Coolant in the oil. I did a motor swap

Well I just bought it on Friday, so I have no real idea about any past overheating. It hasn't overheated while I've been driving it, but I only put maybe 120 miles on it since I bought it and that was mostly just 10-15 miles trips to and from work.

It only has 108K on it :(. I just got back from taking it straight to the shop I bought it from and showing them. They seem to think it's the head gasket or a cracked head. The owner said he was shocked because it was fine before I bought it [so he claims]. He was very nice about it and said he'd certainly fix it for free, which is a huge load off my mind considering I bought it "AS-IS". Something about having the head sent out to make sure it's good and all that before putting it back on.

I'm just hoping the damage isn't too bad. There didn't seem to be any coolant in the oil so maybe this will work out in the end. The funny thing is a few days before I bought this I blew the cylinder in my old '01 Wrangler which also only had 109K on it. I swear I'm not beating the gently caress out of these things, I just have horrible horrible luck with Jeeps while everyone around me that owns them drives them for 500K with barely an issue. When this thing dies, I will get another one though. I like Jeeps for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
If it helps, we bought ours at 181k miles, by about 184k miles it had a seized engine that needed replaced.

Also, on the topic of Jeep sadness:

I think Aran sperged about this Jeep earlier in the thread. His grandfather's '90 Cherokee Pioneer that his dad absolutely had to have for plowing. That's where it got driven to in 2004, where it was in just about mint condition minus a dent in the front passenger door, and needing new rear leaf springs.

This picture and up to TheSaddestJeep6.jpg (I think that's all he uploaded) are how it was last summer, still in the same spot, pretty much never moved except to plow once or twice right before his grandfather died in '06 to prove he was still using it.

Poor thing only has about 150k miles on it but it's completely falling apart, mildewy, the headliner is falling, rust all over...

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
What should I be looking for in a CJ jeep? I want something to restore and dick around with, not for serious crawling. What motor/trasn combo held up the best in the CJ 5/7's?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

sw0cb posted:

What should I be looking for in a CJ jeep? I want something to restore and dick around with, not for serious crawling. What motor/trasn combo held up the best in the CJ 5/7's?

They're all pretty much bulletproof if you ask me. I'd look for one with a V8, mainly the 360, but the I6 258 is good too.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Any clue what the weight rating is on a JK's stock tire carrier? I'm considering a new bike rack (a Yakima sparetime) that would mount to the spare tire. The rack itself is fairly light, but the bike is about 30 lbs. I wouldn't be leaving it on there for more than an hour or so at a time, 3 to 4 times a week.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

beanieson posted:

Any clue what the weight rating is on a JK's stock tire carrier? I'm considering a new bike rack (a Yakima sparetime) that would mount to the spare tire. The rack itself is fairly light, but the bike is about 30 lbs. I wouldn't be leaving it on there for more than an hour or so at a time, 3 to 4 times a week.

I know that folks are hanging 34's on there and it is holding them just fine, so I imagine that an extra 30lbs on a stock tire wouldn't be an issue.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
The official answer is 50 pounds total, including the tire.

PsychoBilly Caddy
Dec 2, 2005
You might say I picked it up at the factory. It's cheaper that way.
Sorry to butt into the Jeep thread with this question, but I figured you guys would be the best resource:
My wife and I have been looking at small 4x4/AWD SUVs for a little while now. I am currently looking at a 09 Jeep Patriot. 40k miles. I am seeing few reliability problems but I wanted to ask for opinions before I drive 3 hours to take a look at it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

beanieson posted:

The tire carriers are weak. So weak in fact that stock tires are causing metal fatigue/failures occasionally. Go not use the spare tire mount as a bike rack. Consider something that sticks into the receiver hitch.

I use one of these. http://northshoreracks.com/

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PsychoBilly Caddy posted:

Sorry to butt into the Jeep thread with this question, but I figured you guys would be the best resource:
My wife and I have been looking at small 4x4/AWD SUVs for a little while now. I am currently looking at a 09 Jeep Patriot. 40k miles. I am seeing few reliability problems but I wanted to ask for opinions before I drive 3 hours to take a look at it.

I would choose a Ford Escape over a Patriot. Even though all of us are Jeep fans, most of us are not Chrysler fans. If you want a Jeep, get the Liberty atleast.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Are you really looking for a 4x4, as in crawling through trails and other offroad conditions, or just something that handles well in bad weather? The Patriot doesn't have low gearing or a terribly good AWD system so its more of the latter (although in top 'trail rated' trim it kind of emulates a real 4x4). However compared to competitors in the AWD 'cute ute' category the Patriot has a pretty bad interior and is a bit underpowered. I'd look at a Liberty or Grand Cherokee if you're really going off road.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

beanieson posted:

I'd look into purchasing or building a standalone tire carrier. Those can go up to 300-400lbs depending on how tuff you're doing it. I'm making one myself tomorrow with a new bumper, I'll post pics of this process by monday (as this'll take all weekend)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm a bit biased because my girlfriend has a Patriot, but if you don't plan on going off road it has tons more legroom and a better interior than my Cherokee. I also seem to remember 4-Wheel magazine being surprised at the Patriot's abilities off road (probably that it doesn't immediately get stuck) so its probably at least good enough for "in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have gone this way."

I will concede though that the automatic takes a while to decide to give you the power you just asked for. My friend's wife has a manual Patriot that doesn't have that issue.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

So it seems my issue from earlier was simply the freeze out plug was rotted away. The coolant was blowing all over the firewall and running down my exhaust. The gunk was a combination of neglect, rust and the previous owner dumping that Bar's Leaks stuff in there because they didn't know it was just the freeze plug. It was a bitch to get it flushed out, but everything seems peachy now. I'm so glad things weren't worse, though I am probably knocking on wood.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Faerunner posted:

If it helps, we bought ours at 181k miles, by about 184k miles it had a seized engine that needed replaced.

Also, on the topic of Jeep sadness:

I think Aran sperged about this Jeep earlier in the thread. His grandfather's '90 Cherokee Pioneer that his dad absolutely had to have for plowing. That's where it got driven to in 2004, where it was in just about mint condition minus a dent in the front passenger door, and needing new rear leaf springs.

This picture and up to TheSaddestJeep6.jpg (I think that's all he uploaded) are how it was last summer, still in the same spot, pretty much never moved except to plow once or twice right before his grandfather died in '06 to prove he was still using it.

Poor thing only has about 150k miles on it but it's completely falling apart, mildewy, the headliner is falling, rust all over...

Hate when people do this. Is it too much trouble to wash a vehicle once a month and run it up to temperature once every week or two weeks? The worst thing you can do to a vehicle is not use it.

edit: oh he's dead. Well that's no excuse!

incredibull fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 13, 2010

giundy
Dec 10, 2005

sw0cb posted:

My 304V8 ran with one spark plug, its a solid engine, that and the 4.0 obviously. The T150 3spd was a good transmission, but all the manuals will be fine. If you're looking for something to restore the only thing you should be concerned with is a rusty frame. Depending on how far you want to take it welding wise, even that may not be a problem. Everything else can be bolted on.

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.
Any of you guys have a need for a Lubelocker 42RLE Transmission Pan Gasket? I found one in my pile of crap, but don't have a Jeep with a 42RLE anymore. PM me and I can ship it your way.

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."
I'm almost afraid to post this here for fear of getting flamed, but I like it. Hopefully you guys don't think it's too much like "Jeep Rice" or something.

Anyway, here's a shot of the finished product. (Well...as finished as a Jeep project can ever be. It still needs bigger tires, lockers, etc, etc....)

323LX
Feb 17, 2004

323LX posted:

I'm almost afraid to post this here for fear of getting flamed, but I like it. Hopefully you guys don't think it's too much like "Jeep Rice" or something.

Anyway, here's a shot of the finished product. (Well...as finished as a Jeep project can ever be. It still needs bigger tires, lockers, etc, etc....)

Son of a bitch, the image didn't attach. Trying again...

Edit: There we go. Sorry for the crappy nighttime pic but it's the best I can do for now. If I don't get torn apart for my bad taste then maybe I'll post some better pictures tomorrow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

323LX posted:

Edit: There we go. Sorry for the crappy nighttime pic but it's the best I can do for now. If I don't get torn apart for my bad taste then maybe I'll post some better pictures tomorrow.

Sick! Looks awesome dude

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

323LX posted:

Well if I HAD to nitpick, everything looks good mechanically (nice lift/fenders/etc), but that hood decal has gotta go. IMO the only decal that should be on the hood of a TJ is RUBICON, but that's just me. Still a sweet Jeep otherwise; I'd drive her brains out :D

Says a lot though that the only thing I have to say is about the hood decal!

Sharp_angus fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 18, 2010

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I think the tires look a couple inches too small for the lift, but I'm a fan of low-center-of-gravity builds (for reference, I have 33" tires with just a 2" budget boost).

323LX
Feb 17, 2004
Yeah, I know I need bigger tires. I want to run 35s when I get the money (plus these 32s have a little bit of tread life left in them and they weren't cheap).

323LX
Feb 17, 2004

Sharp_angus posted:

Well if I HAD to nitpick, everything looks good mechanically (nice lift/fenders/etc), but that hood decal has gotta go. IMO the only decal that should be on the hood of a TJ is RUBICON, but that's just me. Still a sweet Jeep otherwise; I'd drive her brains out :D

I understand your point, but it's not a Rubicon model (and I think it should be pretty clear that I'm not trying to make people think that it is). It's a reference to the old AA battery powered Stomper toy trucks (and they did make a few Jeep CJ models too btw) that I used to play with all the time back in the early 80s.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

323LX posted:

I understand your point, but it's not a Rubicon model (and I think it should be pretty clear that I'm not trying to make people think that it is). It's a reference to the old AA battery powered Stomper toy trucks (and they did make a few Jeep CJ models too btw) that I used to play with all the time back in the early 80s.

Oh I didn't know that! Consider my point retracted. And yeah if it's not a Rubicon then of course you don't put the decal on, that's not what I meant above.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Sharp_angus posted:

I would gladly remove the Rubicon sticker from my JK and replace it with STOMPER. I loved those things growing up!

323LX
Feb 17, 2004

Braincloud posted:

I would gladly remove the Rubicon sticker from my JK and replace it with STOMPER. I loved those things growing up!

I'm glad somebody else can appreciate it :).

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Braincloud posted:

I wish I had a rubicon sticker to replace with a stomper sticker. Perhaps I'll just have to make that the final piece of my Jeep. If I ever get around to having the money.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
That's cool, I remember the Stomper RCs. Hope you don't have to explain that decal too often.

First thing I did when I got my TJ was to remove all of the retarded decals, especially the huge TRAIL RATED badge. Just left the Jeep emblem on both front quarters.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

That's cool, I remember the Stomper RCs. Hope you don't have to explain that decal too often.

First thing I did when I got my TJ was to remove all of the retarded decals, especially the huge TRAIL RATED badge. Just left the Jeep emblem on both front quarters.

Trail Rated badge is where the bottle opener should be mounted. On T/LJs.

Lotheras
Sep 23, 2009

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

If those wheels happened to a vehicle I owned I would file an insurance claim

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

What size are those tires stuffed in there? 33's? They look too tight to be stock size (I understand the rims clearly aren't stock).

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

At least you shouldn't have any trouble getting over speed bumps or potholes. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the 4 door Wranglers are ugly as gently caress.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
There's a pretty good chance that its 2 wheel drive, seeing that its the base model long wheel base JK :negative:.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Lotheras posted:

You never answered my question about the wheels.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

EightBit posted:

There's a pretty good chance that its 2 wheel drive, seeing that its the base model long wheel base JK :negative:.

You can buy an unlimited wrangler without 4wd? Wh.. why? :psyboom:

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
The 4-door JK just doesn't look right proportionally until it's lifted and up on 35s but then it's just loving huge. Too bad Chrysler didn't make an Unlimited 2-door JK, I could get behind that. Or just make the drat JT already.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

EightBit posted:

...And there's no Trail Rated badge. I think you're on to something. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

incredibull posted:

The 4-door JK just doesn't look right proportionally until it's lifted and up on 35s but then it's just loving huge. Too bad Chrysler didn't make an Unlimited 2-door JK, I could get behind that. Or just make the drat JT already.

Agreed. A guy in my neighborhood has a four door JK with 37's and it looks super tough. Kinda like this one: