Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Also makes you look super hard so that's a bonus. Try smoking a cigar while you do it.

It look even cooler if you pour alcohol and gunpowder on it then light it to cauterize your wound. And if it gets infected you just hack it off and keep on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypothetical Mcgee
Apr 22, 2010

Stupid forums question:

How do I get an intercap in my username? It's supposed to be McGee, not Mcgee. It wouldn't let me do it when I registered, and attempting to buy it as a new username says that that username is already in use - I'm assuming that means usernames are not case sensitive.

So, is there an option to change it somewhere that I'm blindly missing?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I'm assuming you've already messaged an admin, since that's far too obvious of an idea for you to have not thought of it...

Hypothetical Mcgee
Apr 22, 2010

That's precisely the kind of obvious idea that I'm stupid enough to not think of. Do I just pick an admin, or is there some kind of blindinglystupidquestions@somethingawful.com address I can use? I don't want to bug the wrong people with trivial poo poo.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I'd try the "Ask us about the forums some more!" thread that's stickied at the top of A/T.

Hypothetical Mcgee
Apr 22, 2010

Just what I was after. Thanks!

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
How can i find a thread i posted to last night?

Ive looked back a few pages and looked in the gas chamber but its not there.
I assume search is still down.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
What's the brand name of the once a year period birth control?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Search works. You can also click "Post History" below any of the posts you've made, and if the post is still around, it'll show up in there.

Edit: Ah, forgot you need plat. You're thinking of this thread? In the future, if you go into your User Control Panel, then Edit Options, you can set it to automatically bookmark threads you reply to. Then all you have to do is click on your User Control Panel to see a list of bookmarked threads. I think that at least is available to everyone...

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 19, 2010

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ah forgot about post history.
I get a 403: forbidden.

If you get banned do you lose your platinum access too? (if you renew)

Thanks for the help.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kapalama posted:

Try typing this exact question into Google.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

baquerd posted:

Try typing this exact question into Google.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=this+exact+question

That did not help. It gave me hits for an IT test.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Why is it that everything in the United States needs to list nutritional information and ingredients except alcohol? I mean, I get to see that my bottled water contains "Water," and has 0% of my RDA Vitamin C, but I'm left guessing that a beer has "probably 200?" calories, and hard liquor is an utter mystery. I can google any specific drink that I'm interested in; I'm just curious as to why I have to.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gravity Pike posted:

Why is it that everything in the United States needs to list nutritional information and ingredients except alcohol? I mean, I get to see that my bottled water contains "Water," and has 0% of my RDA Vitamin C, but I'm left guessing that a beer has "probably 200?" calories, and hard liquor is an utter mystery. I can google any specific drink that I'm interested in; I'm just curious as to why I have to.

http://foodinamerica.wordpress.com/2010/07/30/a-new-alcohol-law-blog-nutrition-facts-and-beer/

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

[[ Please wait, retrieving information... ]]In the Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers song "Why Do Fools" we encounter the lyric

quote:

Why do birds sing so gay

Are birds generally considered gay? what about eagles and falcons?

Also isnt this line a big homophobic?

BART IM PISS fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 19, 2010

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

ImmortalYawn posted:

In the Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers song "Why Do Fools" we encounter the lyric

Are... are you trolling? You know that gay hasn't always meant homosexual, right? The original meaning of the word is closer to "happy"

e: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gay

gay
   /geɪ/ Show Spelled [gey] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb
–adjective
having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.
homosexual.
of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.
–noun
a homosexual person, esp. a male.
–adverb
in a gay manner.
Origin:
1275–1325; 1950–55 for def. 5; ME gai < OF < Gmc; cf. OHG gāhi fast, sudden

—Related forms
gayness, noun
non·gay, adjective
quasi-gay, adjective

—Synonyms
1. gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay : a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment. 2. brilliant.

—Antonyms
1. unhappy, mournful.

—Usage note
In addition to its original and continuing senses of “merry, lively” and “bright or showy,” gay has had various senses dealing with sexual conduct since the 17th century. A gay woman was a prostitute, a gay man a womanizer, a gay house a brothel. This sexual world included homosexuals too, and gay as an adjective meaning “homosexual” goes back at least to the early 1900s. After World War II, as social attitudes toward sexuality began to change, gay was applied openly by homosexuals to themselves, first as an adjective and later as a noun. Today, the noun often designates only a male homosexual: gays and lesbians. The word has ceased to be slang and is not used disparagingly. Homosexual as a noun is sometimes used only in reference to a male.

Then you have other old song lyrics, like "Don we now our gay apparel, falalala la la la"

Elijya fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 19, 2010

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ImmortalYawn posted:

In the Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers song "Why Do Fools" we encounter the lyric

A speckled titmouse, curious for an early worm, might sing a gay tune.
Eagles and falcons are generally more staunch, they'd prefer to sink their claws into to some hot pigeon breast.

i had a good laugh at that 'only a single beard' line.

nimh fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 19, 2010

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What does the phrase "A quieter life" mean to you?

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Elijya posted:

Are... are you trolling? You know that gay hasn't always meant homosexual, right? The original meaning of the word is closer to "happy"

Except for Noddy and many other places "gay" has been removed from...so dont be so hasty.

nimh posted:

A speckled titmouse, curious for an early worm, might sing a gay tune.
Eagles and falcons are generally more staunch, they'd prefer to sink their claws into to some hot pigeon breast.

i had a good laugh at that 'only a single beard' line.

The beard thing wasn't a joke. WTF?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a way to search Amazon by book dimensions? (For crafty purposes; gadget cases, booksafes, invisible bookshelves, etc.)

Edit: I know I can type exact dimensions and search via Google, but I kind of want "fuzzy" dimensions. For example: ~6.5 x ~5 x ~ .5 inches.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 19, 2010

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

The Aphasian posted:

Is there a way to search Amazon by book dimensions? (For crafty purposes; gadget cases, booksafes, invisible bookshelves, etc.)

Edit: I know I can type exact dimensions and search via Google, but I kind of want "fuzzy" dimensions. For example: ~6.5 x ~5 x ~ .5 inches.

Not sure, but Google lets you search for a numeric range and within a single website if you can make that work for you

http://www.google.com/advanced_search

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

nimh posted:

If you get banned do you lose your platinum access too? (if you renew)

Thanks for the help.

Yes, you lose everything, including your avatar if you bought one. I believe the only thing you get to keep is Archives access.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

Where can I go to find loose action figures, old and new?

I'm sort of a toy collector, but I don't give a gently caress about something being mint in the box etc... I just like the toys to sit on my desk and I'll put them into poses and what not at my discretion. I actually want to PLAY with these things, and yet Ebay is filled with action figures that have never been loved, which makes them 10 times more valuable.

You may not be looking at the thread anymore, but if you are, I found a basket full of old star wars toys in my garage.

They're "new" in that they're still in boxes, but not really collectible as they're covered in dust, spiders, and the packaging is sun faded. So I figure them to be pretty valueless.

I'd estimate by looking at the packaging that they're +/- 5 years old? If you're interested I'll brave the spiders and tell you what they are?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

ImmortalYawn posted:

Except for Noddy and many other places "gay" has been removed from...so dont be so hasty.

The beard thing wasn't a joke. WTF?

The usage is sometimes removed from old songs and writings because the meaning has changed in the modern day, not because it meant "homosexual" when those things were written, people can laugh at things even if they aren't intended as jokes, and you're so dim I'm honestly a little unnerved.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm trying a sentence, "I ___ (verb-ed) the cat", in English, but I want the sentence to convey the subject and object but be cut off before the verb. Kinda like how in German you can say "Ich habe die Katze ____" (or something like that) or "私はその猫を" in Japanese. Is there a way to do this?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

kapalama posted:

Google tells me Lybrel is the first FDA approved no period pill. There are a lot of other options if you want to limit or plan for when your periods will be, though, so it might be a good idea to browse through the Birth Control Megathread a bit.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm trying a sentence, "I ___ (verb-ed) the cat", in English, but I want the sentence to convey the subject and object but be cut off before the verb. Kinda like how in German you can say "Ich habe die Katze ____" (or something like that) or "私はその猫を" in Japanese. Is there a way to do this?

You can kind of do it if you use the passive voice: "The cat has been _____." English relies so much on word order though that it would be nonsensical to say "I the cat (verbed)."

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

"The cat, I... I killed it!"

Very dependent on tone of course.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Not that this was your question, but if you are trying to say that in Japanese you have to topic-ify "Cat", and not yourself. As you have said it, you have stressed the topic as yourself, which is not at all what you are trying to do. You are trying to introduce the subject CAT and then say an aside. You said "ME" and then said an aside.

As with most Japanese you just should not use Watashi, well, ever, if you want a rule of thumb.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 20, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Google tells me Lybrel is the first FDA approved no period pill. There are a lot of other options if you want to limit or plan for when your periods will be, though, so it might be a good idea to browse through the Birth Control Megathread a bit.

Thanks. I have no idea why I could not find that, but I could not.

Aygtets
Nov 8, 2005

I'll fluff your Garfield if you know what I mean.

Nighthand posted:

Is this the one you're talking about?

Don't know where it's from though, I found it on this forum somewhere a while back.

That's totally it!
Thank you! It was a bit different in my mind after all this time, and I totally forgot about the third girl. Weird!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I know very little about nuclear bombs and whatnot but playing Civ today got me thinking about a pretty scary question.

"Little Boy" was the atomic bomb that the US dropped on Hiroshima in 1945. It had the explosive power of 13k-18k tons of TNT. Assuming 65 years of development, how big of a boom would come from the most powerful bomb that could be made? Would it be possible to make an explosion so large that it throws off the Earth's orbit? How about nuking the moon so hard it crashes into the Earth?

Edit: and is there a good book I can read about some crazy guy that wants to do this?

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 20, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Manslaughter posted:

I know very little about nuclear bombs and whatnot but playing Civ today got me thinking about a pretty scary question.

"Little Boy" was the atomic bomb that the US dropped on Hiroshima in 1945. It had the explosive power of 13k-18k tons of TNT. Assuming 65 years of development, how big of a boom would come from the most powerful bomb that could be made? Would it be possible to make an explosion so large that it throws off the Earth's orbit? How about nuking the moon so hard it crashes into the Earth?

Edit: and is there a good book I can read about some crazy guy that wants to do this?

This page has some data on what's been done so far, if that's of any help. To be honest, when I found it I wasn't that impressed.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

A modern thermonuclear warhead is 50,000 kilotons, which is about 2000 times more powerful than Little Boy. Whipping out a bit of math,

5e4 kilotons x 4.184e6 J/kt = 9.204e15 J = 5.24e10 kg m/s2
The moon is 7.36e22 kg, according to google.
This means that 1 modern warhead could accelerate the moon 7.12e-13 m/s2, given a perfectly efficient transfer of energy.

There are an estimated 11,825 nuclear weapons on earth. Assuming ALL of them are as powerful as the most powerful nuclear warhead, and they're ALL detonated at the same time on the moon, and there's PERFECT transfer of energy, the moon might be accelerated towards the earth at speeds of up to 8.42e-9 m/s2!

Gravity accelerates the moon towards the earth at about 2.3e-3 m/s2. All of the nuclear might of all of the nations of the earth is less than a millionth of the force that gravity exerts between the earth an the moon.

I'm sure I made a mistake in my math somewhere, and I know I made some stupid assumptions. Still, no one's going to be smashing the moon into the earth by blowing it out of orbit, any time soon.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gravity Pike posted:

I'm sure I made a mistake in my math somewhere, and I know I made some stupid assumptions. Still, no one's going to be smashing the moon into the earth by blowing it out of orbit, any time soon.

There was an asteroid near miss at some point recently. I was telling someone how interesting it would be to see it hit the moon, then the guy got terrified that the moon's orbit would get messed up and send it careening towards us if the asteroid hit it.

He wouldn't believe me when I explained to him why it won't happen :eng99:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tell me about hair going grey. I read this:

Wikipedia posted:

The change in hair color occurs when melanin ceases to be produced in the hair root and new hairs grow in without pigment.

But I just found a hair of mine where there was 4 inches of dark brown at the root end and 12 inches of grey/clear/whatever at the other end. If grey hairs are formed when pigment stops being produced at the root, what the gently caress was this? It had a different texture too - the root end felt like normal hair, the tip end felt like old fishing line - thick, wrinkled and weird.

I have quite a few normal greys around my temples and they're nothing like this one I just found. They just feel like normal hair but grey or white.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Some of these people at Wikipedia, they may not be the experts they claim.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

revolther posted:

Some of these people at Wikipedia, they may not be the experts they claim.
Actually wikipedia is correct. If I recall correctly, grey hair can come and go too depending on a number of combining factors. Altohugh anecdotal, I remember reading one guy's account of how he would get a few grey hairs during months of weight training, but that they stopped coming when he quit. Then when he started again, he got more gray hair. Melanin production isn't just something that is shut off permanently.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
After filling out paperwork for passports, is there any way we can get the passport number early or do we have to wait for our cards to arrive?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Probably doesn't fully answer your question, but you can expedite your passport so you can get it much quicker than usual - It just costs more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Can an xBox play region 0 PAL DVDs? We're in Canada.