Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

:siren:IN OTHER NEWS:siren:

My temp job is coming dangerously close to a permanent one. A copywriter position conveniently opened up and I applied for it and they're interviewing me on monday and I'm terrified because I don't really have the relevant experience and I'm afraid the theme is going to be "so we don't think you're qualified but we thought we'd give you a chance to sell yourself in person, GO" like that one terrible interview I had in law school that I still have bad dreams about occasionally.

Oh I hope I somehow get it though. Research and writing was the only part of the lawyer thing I liked or was good at anyway and that's basically what this job would be so...yeah I'm kind of making GBS threads my pants here

I hope they don't know I post here, I don't want them to know about the jug
Dude just get Max to tell you what to say

e: motherfuck, top of the page...uh, I found out where my cousin is going to law school: UCSF. How TTT are we talking here? Because I know it's not T14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Defenestration posted:

Dude just get Max to tell you what to say

e: motherfuck, top of the page...uh, I found out where my cousin is going to law school: UCSF. How TTT are we talking here? Because I know it's not T14

UCSF is just a medical school.

If you mean Hastings (which is affiliated with the UC system, but not technically a "UC" _____), then it is not bad, but not great. Basically your mid-major lower tier 1. Historically, it was much better, so a lot of large firm lawyers went there, but it has been in decline for a while.

If you mean USF, welcome to one of the Cooleys by the Bay.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

Good luck man!

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

mrtoodles posted:

I'm gonna close it by pointing at the pre-law advisor and shouting "And if she's told you anything different, she's a LIAR!"

No don't.

They'll get stars in their eyes and forget everything you just said and think "wow I'm a great arguer just like him I guess the law really is for me" :allears:

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

No don't.

They'll get stars in their eyes and forget everything you just said and think "wow I'm a great arguer just like him I guess the law really is for me" :allears:

poo poo you're right.

But see I have a year of trial experience and a biglaw job and stuff. I am most likely exactly what they aspire to be. Except they won't be me. Cuz I was loving lucky... and I am loving brilliant. And if they are at some event where I talk to them after they've taken a mock LSAT they are not brilliant. Cuz christ I would not have wasted my time with that sort of poo poo (and didn't).

What do I do instead? I am dead serious here... I owe nothing to anybody and there are more or less no repercussions to my actions on Saturday. I mean, I won't be invited back but I am moving anyhow.

I did one of these for the BUSINESS club last year and talked about how lovely things were and drew the graph of the bimodal salary distribution and two students who had never before considered law school said they were signing up for an LSAT class. Spectacular fail.

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting
Are any of the admissions and/or acceptances to law school weighted if you have an engineering degree? Specifically though I will have a degree in Environmental Engineering so I have no idea what the "environmental law" field is like to even gauge it. Though considering I am a white male with a mediocre GPA I'll most likely be better off practicing engineering or consulting.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Ainsley McTree posted:

oOoOoOh an entire desk??? I'd take a picture of my bedroom floor if I weren't ashamed of it but the gist is that there are a lot of empty bottles and cans and I think even a jug in there somewhere. I get around by hopping

I think I stopped after the first week. The only class I ever found it useful for was a bankruptcy class my third year where the adjunct was a WWII vet bankruptcy judge who loved loved loved to cold call and say "tell us about this case" that only had 9 people in it.

:siren:IN OTHER NEWS:siren:

My temp job is coming dangerously close to a permanent one. A copywriter position conveniently opened up and I applied for it and they're interviewing me on monday and I'm terrified because I don't really have the relevant experience and I'm afraid the theme is going to be "so we don't think you're qualified but we thought we'd give you a chance to sell yourself in person, GO" like that one terrible interview I had in law school that I still have bad dreams about occasionally.

Oh I hope I somehow get it though. Research and writing was the only part of the lawyer thing I liked or was good at anyway and that's basically what this job would be so...yeah I'm kind of making GBS threads my pants here

Almost anyone can do copywriting; congrats on your JOB!!!

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Futanari Rastafari posted:

Are any of the admissions and/or acceptances to law school weighted if you have an engineering degree? Specifically though I will have a degree in Environmental Engineering so I have no idea what the "environmental law" field is like to even gauge it. Though considering I am a white male with a mediocre GPA I'll most likely be better off practicing engineering or consulting.

yeah so don't even bother asking, really

edit: I'm sorry that was really rude!! but really, read any part of the thread, or even the first post, and you'll have your answer.

atlas of bugs fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 19, 2010

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting

atlas of bugs posted:

yeah so don't even bother asking, really

edit: I'm sorry that was really rude!! but really, read any part of the thread, or even the first post, and you'll have your answer.

No offense taken, I read the OP and then searched for engineering to just find the testimonial of someone in patent law backing out. I was mostly just curious if they get less upset over a few 3.X GPA drop with an engineering degree.

Futanari Rastafari fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 19, 2010

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Nothing is weighted, your GPA is your GPA, your major/discipline is pretty much flavor text.

The general rule with "issue law," like environmental or human rights, etc., that profs have imparted here is "Sure, specialize, but you better be prepared to work the 'wrong side' of the issue."

Also, while being a minority may help you in admissions it tends to mean your rear end is the first one out the door (see: minority layoff numbers), so being white washes out at worst.

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

The general rule with "issue law," like environmental or human rights, etc., that profs have imparted here is "Sure, specialize, but you better be prepared to work the 'wrong side' of the issue."
Note that the "here" in Warszawa's case is "URM at Yale." If you aren't that special a snowflake, then the general rule with "issue law" is: grow the gently caress up and pick a realistic career path.

Futanari Rastafari
Apr 19, 2004

New Sincerity Posting

The Warszawa posted:

Nothing is weighted, your GPA is your GPA, your major/discipline is pretty much flavor text.

Thanks for the info. It's kind of funny that I find some relief in knowing it would be literally impossible for me to get into a law school because of that.

The Warszawa posted:

Shame about this, though, considering I absolutely loathe the precautionary principle I would have been alright with this.

Thanks again for the help.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Gadamer posted:

Hey, I'd much rather be a miserable law student in Charleston than in Columbia, that's for sure.

I'd rather be a miserable law student (or even non-miserable anything else) pretty much anywhere other than in Columbia though. Horrible place.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Thanks for the info. It's kind of funny that I find some relief in knowing it would be literally impossible for me to get into a law school because of that.

You could still get into literally 100+ law schools with that.

You just shouldn't.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Soothing Vapors,

I suggest you cut a promo on them. Something out of the Jake Roberts canon. I'm thinking some kind of amalgamation of his face periods: "The blind leading the blind? Only a fool knows that a man has five senses. A lawyer? He has six. We always do it better in the dark. I'm going to make you beg. You're going to get down on your hands and knees. You will be the one that grovels for the money. And how appropriate... that the money you grovel for is your very own. Wallowing in the muck of avarice."

SafetyDancer
Aug 30, 2003

hop for jesus
This thread is so bittersweet. I'm practically done with my applications and going to send them in tomorrow, just to see where I land in the t14. All signs point to me not attending though. :unsmith:

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

SafetyDancer posted:

This thread is so bittersweet. I'm practically done with my applications and going to send them in tomorrow, just to see where I land in the t14. All signs point to me not attending though. :unsmith:

Can I just HAVE the money you were going to spend on applications to schools you weren't planning on attending?

I'll set up a Paypal or something, it could be one-click easy for you.

And at least you'd have contributed to society in some way.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

atlas of bugs posted:

Can I just HAVE the money you were going to spend on applications to schools you weren't planning on attending?

I want my money back from all of those T-14s who rejected me. I could just buy so much alcohol with it.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday
Vomit trial update:
I barfed all through trial prep after catching stomach flu from my kids. My stomach settled down for the first day of trial, but I had very little sleep in the two days leading up to trial. We show up for trial, and I trudged in with a thousand yard stare, looking like I slept under a bridge. The judge then grants a motion in limine, booting my expert's proximate cause opinion. I am forced to dismiss the case with right to refile. My client yells at me the whole walk back to my office, but doesn't fire me, which would have been a relief.

Still want to go to law school?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

High-potency for a toddler maybe, dogfish fort and dogfish 120 minute are where it's at.

more like dogfish fart

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

You need to get yourself some la Fin du Monde

I've had it, but it's not my favorite.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

sigmachiev posted:

Soothing Vapors,

I suggest you cut a promo on them. Something out of the Jake Roberts canon. I'm thinking some kind of amalgamation of his face periods: "The blind leading the blind? Only a fool knows that a man has five senses. A lawyer? He has six. We always do it better in the dark. I'm going to make you beg. You're going to get down on your hands and knees. You will be the one that grovels for the money. And how appropriate... that the money you grovel for is your very own. Wallowing in the muck of avarice."

Oh, no. If you're going to cut a promo, make it Ultimate Warrior-style.

Seriously, my advice for all potential law students in this thread. Think of an area of law that you really don't want to practice, or clients you really don't want to represent. Could you live with yourself if you had to practice in that area, or represent those clients? If not, don't go to law school.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

echopapa posted:

Seriously, my advice for all potential law students in this thread. Think of an area of law that you really don't want to practice, or clients you really don't want to represent. Could you live with yourself if you had to practice in that area, or represent those clients? If not, don't go to law school.

I mean, it's ok if I don't get a big firm job, I'll just do criminal defense work for the PD office or something. Or, because I studied abroad for one semester in college I'd like to do international law with the State Department.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Anyone familiar with clerkships that ... aren't?

I applied for and got a call back on a clerkship in Denver, but from the description it sounds a lot more administrative than any clerkship I've ever heard of. Seems like they have "legal research attorneys" and "law clerks," and the law clerks do less research/writing and more rote drafting and ADR. I've been working since 2007. I'd love to have a clerkship on my resume, but less so if future employers call up the reference and it's not what it seems.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Mookie posted:

If you mean USF, welcome to one of the Cooleys by the Bay.
ah, well poo poo

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solomon Grundy posted:

Vomit trial update:
I barfed all through trial prep after catching stomach flu from my kids. My stomach settled down for the first day of trial, but I had very little sleep in the two days leading up to trial. We show up for trial, and I trudged in with a thousand yard stare, looking like I slept under a bridge. The judge then grants a motion in limine, booting my expert's proximate cause opinion. I am forced to dismiss the case with right to refile. My client yells at me the whole walk back to my office, but doesn't fire me, which would have been a relief.

Still want to go to law school?

God drat Grundy, that sucks. I feel for you.

I've had two second-mediations fail this week. Once because of a loving crazy rear end in a top hat client on the other side who refused to let his adjuster come to the mediation and one because this loving insurance company refuses to pay its limits so the excess carriers can pay out.

gently caress everything, I'd give back both my (eventual) JD and my undergrad degree if they'd call off the loans.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2009/09/some-advice-and-a-gift-for-recent-unemployed-law-graduates.html

In which in an attempt to cheer up 3L's and unemployed grads about the job market, the author compares it to the war in Vietnam.

SafetyDancer
Aug 30, 2003

hop for jesus

atlas of bugs posted:

Yeah, let me just paypal you some fee waivers.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

echopapa posted:

I look above to the Gods, and when you fall below the skeletons of the lawyers past, the power of the lawyers will become the eighth wonder of the world. You must show no mercy... nor have any belief in how others judge you... for your greatness will silence them all. I was sent in a capsule from a place long from here and I came here for one reason: to attack and keep coming. Not to ask but just to give. Not to want but just to send… send the power of the lawyer down everybody’s throat till they become sick of it. Well you’re gonna get sick of it because this freak of nature right here is just beginning to swell. And when I get big enough, brother, there ain’t gonna be room for anybody else but me and all the lawyers floating through the veins. The power of the lawyer! I live for your frustration! Combat is where I want to be! How must a lawyer prepare you must ask yourself. Should you jump off the tallest building in the world? Should you lay on the lawn and let it run over you with lawnmowers? Should you go to Africa and let it trample you with raging elephants? In my final meeting with the Gods from the heavens above, as they spoke to me and hit me with the power of the Ultimate Lawyer, they told me, "Exit stage left! Exit stage right! There is no place to run - all the fuses in the exit signs have been burned out!' The family that I live for only breathes the air that smells of combat. With or without the face paint I am the Ultimate Lawyer.

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

You need to get yourself some la Fin du Monde

On a related note beer reviews are almost as bad as lies told by law school admissions committees: "notes of grain/wheat, pineapple, peaches, clove/yeast and some tartness. It begins with honey and biscuity malt and moves into light fruit with a hint of bitterness/light sparkling cider quality. The mouthfeel is coating, with moderate thickness and high carbonation."

It's just a loving beer jesus christ

I love me some beer chat. Try Unibroue's Trois Pistoles, a much better beer by the same company. That said, it's pretty good.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

7StoryFall posted:

I love me some beer chat. Try Unibroue's Trois Pistoles, a much better beer by the same company. That said, it's pretty good.

Trois Pistoles is amazing but it's impossible to find outside of some bars occasionally. Some friends and I are going to take a road trip to Quebec to fill up the trunk with Unibroue this winter.

quote:

The family that I live for only breathes the air that smells of combat. With or without the face paint I am the Ultimate Lawyer.

:stare:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
We find out in an hour and 15 minutes whether my husband has passed the bar.

Pass: Paulaner Hef
Fail: Natty Ice

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009

Save me jeebus posted:

We find out in an hour and 15 minutes whether my husband has passed the bar.

Pass: Paulaner Hef
Fail: Natty Ice

This is pretty much the longest wait, best of luck.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm still kind of happy with how MA did it for my year. I don't know if they did this on purpose, but they announced after the bar that they were going to release the results in November and then they quietly mailed them late October. I didn't even know I had them until I noticed people talking about passing on facebook (most of my mail being student-loan related, I am rarely eager to pick it up). I'm glad I avoided above the law or wherever else jerks like to speculate about when results are coming out.

Have I told this story before? Sometimes I feel like a grandpa

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
When we took the bar we had to chisel everything on tablets, then we had to wait a year for the results, and when we got them we had to hike over to the CalBar offices, in the snow, uphill BOTH WAYS and we liked it

E: Wish California did it that way, Ainsley. He'll have to start from scratch (moral character app, MPRE) if he fails this time, but then it will be in CO anyways so w/e.

E2: gently caress I think time is dilating.

E3: Welp.

remote control carnivore fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 20, 2010

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Save me jeebus posted:

E3: Welp.
what does that mean :pwn:

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
:(

Sorry about that. At least he doesn't have to practice law amirite?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
At least I hear Natty Ice is great a dulling the pain. :(

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Currently discussing what the next plan is. He's feeling pretty hopeless. I'm feeling pretty worn out. We've spent the past decade going from homeless high school dropouts to ":v: OMG LAW SCHOOL WE'LL FINALLY BE WELL OFF" back to ":unsmith: well at least we still have each other".

PS we're actually geographically separated right now so he's probably on the Natty Ice but the liquor store up the road had half off of gin handles today so

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Hey smart lawyer people, I really need to get my old California driving record, without being in California. I also can't get it online, as I no longer know the date my license expired which is necessary to get in (and I'm not sure that version would be good for my purposes anyway). And I can't wait to get it through the mail, as I need it by Tuesday.

California is loving retarded, and will not let a 3rd party pick up a driving record from a DMV location. Not even if its a relative with a loving power of attorney. This despite the fact that anyone who knows your personal information can get it through the mail.

Any ideas on how to get it? There has to be some loving way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
CO Lawgoons: can someone help a brother out regarding CO moral character apps? The googles, they do nothing. From what I can tell, you don't have to finish the app before you sit the bar, am I reading this right?

And what's up with the professionalism course?