Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

crime fighting hog posted:

Looks great! How'd you do the wings?

Straight out of the guide in the WD.

1:2 Fenris Grey/Astronomicon Grey basecoat.

1:1 Codex/Fenris Grey wash. Add a little black for another wash thats only in the corners right up in the wings.

Straight Astronomicon highlight, then 1:1 Astro/Skull white then finally pure skull white for the brightest parts.

Key is keeping the highlights very thinned down so you can build up the colour to different strengths so you dont need to do a million layers adding a little bit of extra skull white each time. I also kept each stage in a seperate pallet dimple so I could wet blend the layers if it got a bit too strong and needed the edges softening.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anyone care to share thoughts on this light/tent combo? Seems decent enough for the price, c/d?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SirJoeKCB posted:

Never used it myself but my understanding is that it's paint that's the color of gray primer, not actual gray primer.

Yeah, after some research that proved to be the case. I've ordered some of their proper airbrush primer and will report back.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fyrbrand posted:

Anyone care to share thoughts on this light/tent combo? Seems decent enough for the price, c/d?

I have this or something just like it for taking ebay photos
I bought some 20.00 lights to replace the crappy ones it came with but the tent itself is great.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
For those of us with shaky hands, I have been using a PCB holder to keep my miniatures still. It works quite well, especially since I have a magnifying glass also hooked up at the same time.

Here's the holder;

And here's it holding the new Lilith Hesperax. Sorry for the blurriness.

With the magnifying glass over the miniature. Again, sorry for the blurriness.

Crappy cheap camera. Waiting for my big new one.

Works really well, allows you to get a good enough distance away that you can still use the paintbrush even with the magnifying glass where it is, and means you don't need to squint as much (well, at least I don't need to) when painting miniatures.

Edit: Forgot to add, the base has a depression in it to hold a sponge for use when soldering. Easily converted to an area for a wet palette, and works exceedingly well in that regard. All for $13AUD, so for me it was a bargain.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 19, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

This project taught me how to be patient with green stuff, that JB Weld is like manna from heaven (no pinning within the bull himself), painter's tape is my friend, and when mixing colours to ensure the two are actually different. :v:

I also need to take better pictures.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This project taught me how to be patient with green stuff, that JB Weld is like manna from heaven (no pinning within the bull himself), painter's tape is my friend, and when mixing colours to ensure the two are actually different. :v:

I also need to take better pictures.

Looks good, you'll get better photos if you light it from the front too! I need to get some JB weld for my warmachine/hordes poo poo.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Chenghiz posted:

Looks good, you'll get better photos if you light it from the front too! I need to get some JB weld for my warmachine/hordes poo poo.

Yyyyeah, I'll need to get lamps, then. That's just lit from the window. Oh well. \/:)\/

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Yyyyeah, I'll need to get lamps, then. That's just lit from the window. Oh well. \/:)\/

http://www.lowes.com/pd_203213-1373-FL-300NPDQ12_0__?productId=3122291&Ntt=clamp+light&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dclamp%2Blight

cheap! handy!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I just had a brilliant idea, but it requires something I've never tried before. Does anyone have a quick electronics guide to hooking up LED's on a switch and a watch battery? I know it's dirt simple, but I've just never actually done anything like it before.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

If the LED doesn't come on, turn it around.

I'm an electrical engineer, btw. :smug:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Here, take a horrible schematic.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Doesn't it need a resistor or you'll kill the LED really quickly?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

It depends on voltage of the battery and the voltage tolerance of the LED I guess. Unless the blow up from too much current.

If it's a current problem, parallel the LED's, if it's voltage, put them in series.

Or just give me the part number and I'll look it up on digi key tonight or something.

Really, just start hooking up stuff and if you let the smoke out of the wires then you know it's broken.

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 19, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Prefect Six posted:

Here, take a horrible schematic.

:stare:

I think I'm just gonna go to Radio Shack.

Spamius
Mar 17, 2009
Only if you are using a 12v power supply or 9v battery to drop the voltage down - a watch battery is usually 1.5-3 V and will work fine without a resistor

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Fix posted:

:stare:

I think I'm just gonna go to Radio Shack.

Radio shack is super over priced, but yeah that might be the way to go in this case.

Let me know if you need any circuits designed. Like a digital clock. I can do that. And stuff.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
It's one step from clock radio to clock land raider.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Thunderhawk toaster.

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
Hey, I painted a miniature. Behold my WHFRP character, the mighty Norsecan warrior Arkfel Goblincleaver, and his powerful thews!

The red base is to pick him out easier on the tabletop. I'm pretty happy with the muscles, my first real experiment with proper skin.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Finished completly now so I got the proper camera out.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bhyo posted:

Finished completly now so I got the proper camera out.

Dios mio :fap:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Captain Hats posted:

Hey, I painted a miniature. Behold my WHFRP character, the mighty Norsecan warrior Arkfel Goblincleaver, and his powerful thews!

The red base is to pick him out easier on the tabletop. I'm pretty happy with the muscles, my first real experiment with proper skin.

I like it! On the other hand, my solution to painting skin is pallid flesh + ogryn wash, so what do I know :pseudo:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Deff Dread WIP:

The arms aren't glued, so they're kinda droopy. Next big step is adding all the rust effects.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Fyrbrand posted:

Deff Dread WIP:

Did I ever tell you that I love how your Orks look? If not, remind me to do so at a later time.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fyrbrand posted:

Deff Dread WIP:

The arms aren't glued, so they're kinda droopy. Next big step is adding all the rust effects.

I managed to finally see one of these things last weekend and good CHRIST is it huge!

Your orks are looking mighty fine Fyrbrand. Excuse me while I paint pansier Tau models rather than orks. :cry:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
After shelling out far too much money for Citadel washes this year, I've finally picked up some matte medium, flow aid, and bottles to start mixing my own with Les' Wash Recipe. This is going to be awesome :dance:

I do have one question for those that have gone before me: has anybody used Vallejo Game Inks as the coloring agent in these washes? They're a little more accessible to me than the inks that Les uses, as I can pick up a bottle here or there from my FLGS to try new colors without having to pay shipping and wait for another package from DickBlick.

Also, awesome Orks, Fyrbrand. You've really nailed the silver/blue thing.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Tadhg posted:

loving wash recipe: how does it work?

Don't even try doing red. Unless you want pink wash. That's about all I can tell you. Hopefully since Les is a cool guy and can no longer sell the washes he made, he'll give us the recipes for the custom washes he once had. I'm really curious to see the formula for his armor wash.

EDIT: also his baby poop wash.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

NecronSchmecron posted:

I managed to finally see one of these things last weekend and good CHRIST is it huge!

Your orks are looking mighty fine Fyrbrand. Excuse me while I paint pansier Tau models rather than orks. :cry:

Could you maybe (fyrbrand) grab some tau drones and ork them as I don't know... 'boyz' that have been subjected to a mek's random routine?

The way you jack o lantern up anything you touch is nice. It comforts me.

And nobody ever orks up eldar or tau. And it's like 'why not'. They're just poo poo on the battlefield, right? and orks love poo poo on the battlefield. It's their hobby. Orks are actually playing the same game we are. They just die sometimes due to lasers.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Sole.Sushi posted:

I am too insecure in my manhood to consider using pink on my manly plastic space barbies.

Good to know. The big thing that I'll be using the washes for is to make my own sepia color wash (12 pots of Citadel thus far from Oathing... That could have been another Valkyrie, dammit :argh:) but experimenting with new colors could be frustrating as all loving hell a lot of fun. Has Les made any other comments online about his washes?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

And nobody ever orks up eldar or tau. And it's like 'why not'. They're just poo poo on the battlefield, right? and orks love poo poo on the battlefield. It's their hobby. Orks are actually playing the same game we are. They just die sometimes due to lasers.

I have an Eldar Jetbike half converted into a Warbuggy. If I can manage to finally decide on a paintscheme for my current Oath and finish it, then the looted bike may be a last minute addition.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Tadhg posted:

:iamafag:

I'll have you know I kept the pink wash I made, and have used it. :colbert:
And no, Les really hasn't made a comment about his washes as far as I know, and his website is down at the moment, so that's a dead-end.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
any of y'all used micro art studio bases before? do they need to be scrubbed down before use like other resin and such? these "tech bases" are pretty drat high quality!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Click here for the full 600x646 image.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Fyrbrand posted:

I have this one. (but blue instead of red. but its reversible mine has gray on the other side.) I like it alot and it packs up really well too. The lamps aren't the best but they certainly aren't unusable. For what it is i would give it a 7/10.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Frobbe posted:

any of y'all used micro art studio bases before? do they need to be scrubbed down before use like other resin and such? these "tech bases" are pretty drat high quality!

Yes, scrub them down first, otherwise your primer will have trouble adhering.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dale-Taco posted:

I have this one. (but blue instead of red. but its reversible mine has gray on the other side.) I like it alot and it packs up really well too. The lamps aren't the best but they certainly aren't unusable. For what it is i would give it a 7/10.

Thanks man.

And thanks for the compliments on the orks from assorted peeps. This deff dread was a fun model to build and paint so far. So fun in fact, that I didn't do any custom work to it like I normally try to do with my orks. I did use a killa kan weapon, but that doesn't really count, I think.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

More questions!

I've heard mention about people using matte medium and/or flow aid to thin their paints more smoothly than water. Who here has done this, and in what combinations? Is it too posh to use instead of water, or is thinning with water for chumps?

Inquiring :hist101: needs to know!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Matte medium will make a paint less opaque but still feels like paint fresh out of the pot, maybe even thicker. I usually use 1:1:1 paint/matte/water when I use matte medium.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Anyone have any recipes or ideas for a wine colour? If it involves making glazes or something interesting like that, all the better. I want to try to expand my toolset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

Anyone have any recipes or ideas for a wine colour? If it involves making glazes or something interesting like that, all the better. I want to try to expand my toolset.

Golden Fluid Acrylics Primary Magenta #2421 Series 6.
http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/color/fluid/fldcht1.php

It's fairly translucent, so it works well as a glaze and shows up really rich when layed in multiple thin layers. Used it on some Slaanesh WoC back in the day.

• Locked thread