Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.

cymbalrush posted:

What model Sennheiser?

I'm listening on some Sennheiser HD-595s. I'll try it out on my HD-580s and my friend's AKG 701's, but a lot of the Senns seem pretty sensitive in general to clipping. I don't have a good stereo setup to try it out on though. Weird, indeed.

edit: I should mention that a lot of rap records sound mediocre on "good headphones" so I'm not faulting the record too much in this regard.

HD 280 PRO. Haven't used any of those other models, so idk.

greenTYPEWRITERS posted:

so I'm pretty sure that your complaints can be summed up by the fact that the version that you have is not the exact same quality version that will be released on Tuesday.

This, too.

Bubble Bathory fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008

greenTYPEWRITERS posted:

Well I know that the "320kbps" version that I have is a transcode of a V2 and I'm pretty sure that a truly legit V0 version of the album has not been released yet... so I'm pretty sure that your complaints can be summed up by the fact that the version that you have is not the exact same quality version that will be released on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, the spectrals look right on the V2 I have (i.e. not obviously a transcode), but I'm hoping for the best when I pick up the retail disc Tuesday. I didn't notice the clipping as much on the G.O.O.D. Friday releases, but again it's really not limiting my enjoyment of the record at all.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
V0 and FLAC are out now

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Daily Kanyepost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RIOd2fBL-k

Pre-CD Kanye freaking out and saying he'll eventually be a successful rapper (he was right).

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Thank you for posting that video, it's awesome.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Can we get a like button indisbitch?

Seriously though, Kanye, why are your songs clipping? Whatever happened to engineers releasing delicately mixed and mastered audio files? This poo poo feels like it will sound the same in v0 as it will in FLAC. I don't even want to waste my time going lossless

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I have to say that while I enjoy the album for what it is, I'm disappointed Kanye has morphed into a generic rap icon. To me, Kanye used to be a symbol for alternative hip hop and that you can get away with talking to things that people can actually relate to such as excess and a need to spend, or people you respect, or appreciating life, or the monotony that is a 9-5 job.

Here, he has officially gravitated towards being a generic rap icon who merely flexes his muscle more so than his brain.

The production is fantastic, but what's left is an awfully vapid and lifeless album that really doesn't reach out and tell me about well, anything, besides Kanye and his ego. And I can get that from any other rapper.

For the record, I'm in the huge minority that believes that 808s is Kanye's best album on par with College Dropout. Aside from Robocop, which sucks, I really think that the bulk of the album is an interesting and introspective look at the man and his heart and what he values. I know it's not a rap album, but that's partially why I like it so much. These days I'm in a "rap sucks balls" form of mind.

The production is so good and well put together though, that I'm almost willing to ignore the lovely lyrics. It's a well put together album, but it's missing heart.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 19, 2010

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
The "lyrics" on MBDTF reach introspective levels equaling or surpassing those on any of his records, including 808's. There's just also a lot more jokes and bravado thrown in there again because he's back on top of his own poo poo.

It's not quite as straightforward soul-searching like his approach to 808's allowed for, but pay attention a little bit longer to Fantasy and you'll start to get it.

Bubble Bathory fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 19, 2010

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Bubble Bathory posted:

The "lyrics" on MBDTF reach introspective levels equaling or surpassing those on any of his records, including 808's. There's just also a lot more jokes and bravado thrown in there again because he's back on top of his own poo poo.

It's not quite as straightforward soul-searching like his approach to 808's allowed for, but pay attention a little bit longer to Fantasy and you'll start to get it.

He's drinking too much of his own juice.

I'm digging Cudi's new album way more. The production isn't as tight, but it feels more honest.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

THAT'S THE JOKE.

Jam2 posted:

He's drinking too much of his own juice.

I'm digging Cudi's new album way more. The production isn't as tight, but it feels more honest.

I'll check it out. Honestly I found out about Cudi through Kanye and (lol) Lady Gaga.

Royal Challenge
Jun 24, 2005
Don't know if anyone else has seen the full production credits on this but Mike Dean is clearly a loving monster; the dude is all over this thing.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Himuro posted:

For the record, I'm in the huge minority that believes that 808s is Kanye's best album on par with College Dropout. Aside from Robocop, which sucks, I really think that the bulk of the album is an interesting and introspective look at the man and his heart and what he values. I know it's not a rap album, but that's partially why I like it so much. These days I'm in a "rap sucks balls" form of mind.

I love introspective albums where someone else (Kid Cudi) writes half of the songs (including the lyrics).

e: I'm really not getting where you're seeing a lack of introspection and thought in this album though. Have you... listened to it?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Brett824 posted:

I love introspective albums where someone else (Kid Cudi) writes half of the songs (including the lyrics).

e: I'm really not getting where you're seeing a lack of introspection and thought in this album though. Have you... listened to it?

6 times and it was egotistical penis stroking. Being egotistical and introspective are two different things.

I don't like Kid Cudi. He's another rapper who attempts to be artistic and deep but doesn't have the talent or means for it.

I'm more of a Common/Nas/De La Soul man.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 20, 2010

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Himuro posted:

6 times. And egotistical penis stroking. Being egotistical and introspective are two different things.

I don't like Kid Cudi. He's another rapper who attempts to be artistic and deep but doesn't have the talent or means for it.

I'm more of a Common/Nas/De La Soul man.

What he's telling you is that Kid Cudi wrote half the songs on 808s and Heartbreaks.

But you don't like him because he isn't deep and has no talent I guess?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Kid Cudi wrote half the songs on 808s? The more you know.

I apologize Cudi! My only exposure to Cudi is Man on the Moon and his guest appearances in various tracks. So it's easy for me to dismiss him as another no talent overrated hack rapper. I find that happens with me and rap, a lot.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Himuro posted:

6 times and it was egotistical penis stroking. Being egotistical and introspective are two different things.

I mean if I only listened to POWER, Runaway, Monster and So Appalled I'd think it was constant ego stroking too. But it's really not, and even in those songs it's a little bit more clever than that. I'm really not seeing where you're coming from here, especially when a lot of reviewers complaints are that it is almost too introspective.

e: On the clipping: I noticed it with my crappy skull candy earbuds and haven't gotten a chance to listen to it using a real sound system yet. Is it really that bad? I thought it was just my headphones...

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Himuro posted:

I have to say that while I enjoy the album for what it is, I'm disappointed Kanye has morphed into a generic rap icon. To me, Kanye used to be a symbol for alternative hip hop and that you can get away with talking to things that people can actually relate to such as excess and a need to spend, or people you respect, or appreciating life, or the monotony that is a 9-5 job.

Here, he has officially gravitated towards being a generic rap icon who merely flexes his muscle more so than his brain.

The production is fantastic, but what's left is an awfully vapid and lifeless album that really doesn't reach out and tell me about well, anything, besides Kanye and his ego. And I can get that from any other rapper.

The production is so good and well put together though, that I'm almost willing to ignore the lovely lyrics. It's a well put together album, but it's missing heart.

I really think this album is a lot more introspective than people give it credit for. Hell, even the lead single Power is more than it seems if you listen to it.

Ego doesn't discount introspectiveness. Like how can you deny the introspectiveness of Power, loving thundering out of the gates with lines like "Screams from the haters got a nice ring to it/I guess every superhero needs his theme music", to the who are you trying to convince "At the end of the day goddamnit I'm killing this poo poo/I know drat well ya'll feeling this poo poo/I don't need your pussy bitch I'm on my own dick"

To like two lines later having the line "I got the power make your life so exciting" and have "So exciting" gradually morph into something more resembling the word "suicide" then have a bridge "This would be a beautiful death/jumping out the window"

You say that ego can't be introspective, he knows he has loving issues with that. If he played his cards wrong last year it would have been a huge blow to his career. He's given interviews saying he thought about suicide. Of course he's going to rap about getting hosed up, having a huge ego, etc.

The difference between kanye and generic rap is other rappers will be like YEAH hosed THIS BITCH NOW SHE'S GONE gently caress YOU BITCH THANK YOU BASED GOD or something, whereas Kanye will do a song more like Blame Game or Hell of a Life, where you just wonder where the gently caress he is coming from and how hosed up his relationships were.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Brett824 posted:

Runaway and Monster were both ~10 on the Hot 100 and the album's gonna do 500k-600k first week (more than Drake at least). I'd say he's doing something right to stay relevant.

I would be extremely surprised if this outsold 808s. Heartless and Love Lockdown were both huge hits, while Monster barely scratched the top 20 and Runaway peaked at 12. Yeah the album is incredible and the critical accalaim is unanimous, but you don't see Sufjan Stevens going gold in the first week.

I'm thinking 400k at best.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Brett824 posted:

I mean if I only listened to POWER, Runaway, Monster and So Appalled I'd think it was constant ego stroking too. But it's really not, and even in those songs it's a little bit more clever than that. I'm really not seeing where you're coming from here, especially when a lot of reviewers complaints are that it is almost too introspective.

e: On the clipping: I noticed it with my crappy skull candy earbuds and haven't gotten a chance to listen to it using a real sound system yet. Is it really that bad? I thought it was just my headphones...

Well, I agree in regards to those songs. I'd say Power is the best song on the album. Maybe Monster. Monster has a lot of great moments.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

F201 posted:

I would be extremely surprised if this outsold 808s. Heartless and Love Lockdown were both huge hits, while Monster barely scratched the top 20 and Runaway peaked at 12. Yeah the album is incredible and the critical accalaim is unanimous, but you don't see Sufjan Stevens going gold in the first week.

I'm thinking 400k at best.
I actually agree with you but Kanye has had so much press lately that he may end up selling just based off that. The fact the music is good doesn't hurt things either.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Brett824 posted:

I've been listening on Shure e5c buds. This album was mixed in a Cuisinart.

Heard
Oct 22, 2010
The lyrics on this album are absolute bunk, I've decided. The best line on the whole album is, "what is a black Beatle, a roach?" And that line, despite being racially charged, isn't controversial or interesting.

I listened to this album, and there's not a single song I enjoyed. It's all forgettable poo poo, in my opinion. I think I've flip-flopped for the last time. Do kids listen to him anymore? I don't think even they would like it. I feel bad for hip hop, I really do. Good job Roc Nation. If Jay Electronica and J. Cole turn out to be busts and Nas doesn't go hard with Lost Tapes 2 it will be a sad day for hip hop. Kanye West can't rap. The best verse was Raekwon's, and that's probably not saying much.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Heard posted:

The lyrics on this album are absolute bunk, I've decided. The best line on the whole album is, "what is a black Beatle, a roach?" And that line, despite being racially charged, isn't controversial or interesting.

I don't usually think Kanye has good lyrics either but you thought that line was better than this?:

I just needed time alone with my own thoughts
Got treasures in my mind but couldn’t open up my own vault
My childlike creativity, purity and honesty
Is honestly being prodded by these grown thoughts
Reality is catching up with me
Taking my inner child, I’m fighting for it, custody
With these responsibilities that they entrusted me
As I look down at my diamond-encrusted piece

edit - and hip hop is much bigger than Kanye or Jay Electronica, hip hop's quality at large doesn't only rest on a few shoulders

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 21, 2010

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Heard posted:

I listened to this album, and there's not a single song I enjoyed. It's all forgettable poo poo, in my opinion. I think I've flip-flopped for the last time. Do kids listen to him anymore? I don't think even they would like it. I feel bad for hip hop, I really do. Good job Roc Nation. If Jay Electronica and J. Cole turn out to be busts and Nas doesn't go hard with Lost Tapes 2 it will be a sad day for hip hop. Kanye West can't rap. The best verse was Raekwon's, and that's probably not saying much.

"So much head I woke up in Sleepy Hollow"

"Praises be to the most high: Allah, praises be to the most fly Pra-da!"

"I treat the cash the way the government treats AIDS, I won't be satisfied til all my niggas get it, get it?'

"choke a Southpark writer with a fish stick

"Make your knees shake, make a priest faint, Make a nun come, make her cremate"

Are you kidding? I know Kanye has never been a fantastic lyricist, but there's some clever poo poo on here.

A FORUM MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
You forgot the best line, "too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins low"

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma
Don't mind him, Heard has been trolling this entire thread. He gave the worst "praise" of anything I've ever read earlier and now he's doing this. He wants to be controversial like Kanye but he's not very good at it.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Bonye West posted:

Don't mind him, Heard has been trolling this entire thread. He gave the worst "praise" of anything I've ever read earlier and now he's doing this. He wants to be controversial like Kanye but he's not very good at it.
Ah poo poo, how did I not notice he's HikingLenoFan? Yea, he's a clown.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
I bought the CD/DVD version earlier today, and while the packaging is really nice, I'm pretty upset that the artwork on the cover cards and CD label is censored. Even though the phoenix painting isn't on the cover, it's still censored anyways?

It's kind if funny that you can show someone's head impaled on a sword but not a crude painting of a breast.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Surfingelectrode posted:

I bought the CD/DVD version earlier today, and while the packaging is really nice, I'm pretty upset that the artwork on the cover cards and CD label is censored. Even though the phoenix painting isn't on the cover, it's still censored anyways?

It's kind if funny that you can show someone's head impaled on a sword but not a crude painting of a breast.

As a fan of death metal growing up, it's funny what gets censored and what's "okay."

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Oh, and the vinyl release was just announced today:

http://www.insound.com/My-Beautiful-Dark-Twisted-Fantasy-3xLP-Kanye-West/P/INS83181/

It's going to be a 3LP set with bigger copies of the art cards and poster.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Superchunk posted:

Are you kidding? I know Kanye has never been a fantastic lyricist, but there's some clever poo poo on here.

"Got caught with 30 Rocks, the cop looked like Alec Baldwin."

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Surfingelectrode posted:

Did you buy it at a big retailer like Best Buy or Wal-mart? If so that sucks because I was really looking forward to having the artwork and packaging but if it's censored everywhere, that's lame as hell.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

the Bunt posted:

Did you buy it at a big retailer like Best Buy or Wal-mart? If so that sucks because I was really looking forward to having the artwork and packaging but if it's censored everywhere, that's lame as hell.

Local indie store.

Here's a quick photo of the disc:

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
I think the international editions are uncensored.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
I think if Rick Ross did something more like his opening verse from Aston Martin Music, it would have fit better into DIAND. As it is, Kanye raps about one thing and then Ross does the "I'm a drug dealer with a fast car" verse. Originally I thought it fit well, but the more I listen to it the more I find myself skipping Ross' verse.

This is a fantastic album, I'm actually going to join the club and go buy the CD tomorrow.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Heard posted:

You aren't listening.

This album is borderline apes directly making GBS threads bananas. There's some weaker tracks for sure but it's more gold than garbage, which is rare nowadays.

Also Chris Rock's cameo is fuckin fantastic, probably not the first to point it out but

"Who got your pussy all reupholstered and poo poo"

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

"Her mother, brother, grandmother / hate me in that order" is a fantastic line, too

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Surfingelectrode posted:

http://www.insound.com/My-Beautiful-Dark-Twisted-Fantasy-3xLP-Kanye-West/P/INS83181/

20$ shipping and 20% import tax? Guess I'll be hoping that some store in the EU picks it up. :sigh:

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

The Joy posted:

"Now when Rome got Gidget, the other got Bridget
What’s more tripped out, dawg, is they sisters"

Rome got Gidget is a reference to Gidget Goes To Rome, the other got Bridget is a reference to Bridget Jones. Rome and London are sister cities, and going from Rome to London is a 'trip'. Bridget and Gidget in the context of the song are both "sisters" (culturally (they're black)) and sisters, biologically.

This is some clever rear end wordplay I did not notice until this morning.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Surfingelectrode posted:

Thank you for this! Preordered for Christmas. Is the vinyl release really 1 month later than the CD release?

• Locked thread