Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I've been a Star Wars fan all my life (i.e. since the 80s) and I forced myself to find things to like about the prequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The RotS novelization gave things for me to enjoy about the prequels. Too bad the post-NJO EU is doing all it can to quash all of them. That's pretty much why I haven't even cracked FotJ:Outcast.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My interests in the fate books has flipped a couple times. There are parts I love about luke and ben's journey (dathomir) and parts I hate (Cthulu). On the other hand the stuff on Coruscant is really enjoyable right now (jedi temple) and wasn't earlier on (alana's day at the zoo). Vortex is coming out soon, I'm hoping both stories will align and kick rear end. Lots of hope.

Also, I really recommend listening to the audio books for this series. The narrator (I think it's mark thompson?) does an amazing job of voicing all the people you come across. It really adds to the love and (mostly)hate for certain people. Javis tear.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

quote:

Casimir Radon posted:

This is probably the funniest one he's done in a long while.

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's really depressing.

Quoting this so hard.

Now I have never played TFU or TFU2, but I have played every Star Wars game that existed before 2001. If you want to play a good lightsaber/jedi game...might as well just reinstall Jedi Outcast, or go really retro with Dark Forces II. These games did everything perfectly as much as they could. There is no substitute. I still find it hard as to why there's even an existing debate on it.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
I got a question. Did anybody read the book "Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine?"

It is one of the few Star Wars books I have not read, and I would like to know if it is worth my time.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

ScottyJSno posted:

I got a question. Did anybody read the book "Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine?"

It is one of the few Star Wars books I have not read, and I would like to know if it is worth my time.
I read it. I wish I hadn't.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ScottyJSno posted:

It was boring. I was tempted as hell to buy it for the bad book review thread but I can't find it anywhere.

I would have used it as a "gently caress SOE, SWG was pretty awesome in its day!" mouth piece after the 3rd entry anyways.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 19, 2010

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Apparently the next clone wars episode starts the use of new character designs for anaking obi-wan and ahsoka. The fact they're even changing the looks of them during the show is really cool, hopefully they'll give the clones ep. 3 armor eventually.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
That's already happening. Some of the commandos have the ep3 armour.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

arioch posted:

The RotS novelization gave things for me to enjoy about the prequels. Too bad the post-NJO EU is doing all it can to quash all of them. That's pretty much why I haven't even cracked FotJ:Outcast.

I like how it made Padme's own POV just as incredibly two-dimensional lovey-dovey for Anakin as she is shown in the films and as she would have to be to marry a guy who just admitted he killed a bunch of kids.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

She was very beautiful. Kind, but sad. Why are you asking me this?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pththya-lyi posted:

I like how it made Padme's own POV just as incredibly two-dimensional lovey-dovey for Anakin as she is shown in the films and as she would have to be to marry a guy who just admitted he killed a bunch of kids.

Maybe she just had a genocide fetish?

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE
What's your mom like?

Doc Hawkins posted:

She was very beautiful. Kind, but sad. Why are you asking me this?

Wanna meet that mom.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Battered wives often come to empathize with their husbands. That'd explain a lot.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

She probably just did it so she could brag about having a secret Jedi boyfriend to all her friends.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

Don't you mean he killed the younglings, goddarnit!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If my girlfriend told me that she'd just massacred the Jedi I would be so turned on.

AcridWhistle
Aug 20, 2003

Feasting on the flesh of a recently killed zombie probably wasn't the smartest of moves

Mad Hamish posted:

If my girlfriend told me that she'd just massacred the Jedi I would be so turned on.

He did it because he just loved her so much and they were trying to tear them apart.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Mad Hamish posted:

You're dating Karen Travis?

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

SeanBeansShako posted:

Don't you mean he killed the younglings, goddarnit!

They got married at the end of Attack of the Clones, so it must have been the massacre of the sand people that he's talking about.

Which is no big deal because sand people aren't even human. :can:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Seriously, Younglings. Awful writing. I can think of better names off the top of my head.

Nei-Padawans, Student Learners etc. But no, he picks the sort of thing you'd hear from the mouth of an elderly relative describing kids.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously, Younglings. Awful writing. I can think of better names off the top of my head.

Nei-Padawans, Student Learners etc. But no, he picks the sort of thing you'd hear from the mouth of an elderly relative describing kids.

I always wondered why they don't just call them "children." Or is that not spacey enough? Is "child" a word explicitly denoting a human kid, so when talking about a group of various species, you have to use a term like "youngling" to avoid being speciesist? Does the word "child" not exist in Star Wars? Or am I overthinking things too much, and Jorge simply used it to sound spacey and alien?

I'm devoting too many words to this issue.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
No children does exist. When Anakin slaughters the sand people he says "I murdered them all! The women! And the children!"

So maybe youngling is like a pre-padawan Jedi? I thought there was a term for that.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

NeonTurtle posted:

You're dating Karen Travis?

Ew, no. She's obsessed with MANDALORIANS and looks like a horse.

Admiral Daala is where it's at :quagmire:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's obviously racism. Oh, Anakin kills Sand People children? Whatever. They're just monsters.

Anakin kills humanoid children? Oh my goodness! We should use a different word!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

that awful man posted:

They got married at the end of Attack of the Clones, so it must have been the massacre of the sand people that he's talking about.

Well her planet was racist towards Gungans maybe Padme was a huge bigot towards the non human races, Anakin could of picked up on that helping him support the Empires pro-human ideals.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

that awful man posted:

If they can't be Jedi, they're not really alive. :colbert:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Well her planet was racist towards Gungans maybe Padme was a huge bigot towards the non human races, Anakin could of picked up on that helping him support the Empires pro-human ideals.

I think it was in Star Wars Galaxies where there's an implication that due to Palpatine being from the planet and all the Naboo hating Gunguns they're pretty much fine with the Empire. I like the idea that this almost painfully blunt utopian society from the prequels ends up being a big center of Imperial support all because the Gungans are a race of unlikeable retards.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Well, when you create a race that embodies just about every negative stereotype of southern black people via slapstick, I don't really blame them. I'm sure there will someday be a story in the EU talking about Gungan drug abuse and gangs and rape.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

Gungan drug abuse

The only way to make a gungan more annoying: a gungan on speed. Ugh.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

dialhforhero posted:

Well, when you create a race that embodies just about every negative stereotype of southern black people via slapstick, I don't really blame them. I'm sure there will someday be a story in the EU talking about Gungan drug abuse and gangs and rape.

I'm pretty sure they were going for a Jamaican/Rastafarian stereotype. Of course most Jamaicans are of African ancestry, but skin tone aside the culture doesn't look a whole like that of the African-American south.

Which doesn't make it any less of a :ughh: caricature.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

dialhforhero posted:

wheresa da white humans is at?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

The only way to make a gungan more annoying: a gungan on speed. Ugh.
WEEaasAA suck your big boomer for spices.

MEEESSAAAA Jar Jar Binks, Meeessa love you long time.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 22, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm still amazed we got Neimodians AND Gungans in the same drat film. Goddamn, Lucas.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Don't forget toydarians, the racial hat trick.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't mind it if it was just the one-off pet name for his students that we hear Yoda say in Ep2.

When grown adults seriously use the word in Ep3 it really crosses the line into retarded writing.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Oh god I forgot all about the Neimoidians and Toydarians on top of Gungans. Jees...so we have asians, arabs, AND blacks represented in horrible stereotypes. I just now realized this.

Maybe TPM was supposed to be a comedy.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

dialhforhero posted:

It failed at that, too.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

dialhforhero posted:

Oh god I forgot all about the Neimoidians and Toydarians on top of Gungans. Jees...so we have asians, arabs, AND blacks represented in horrible stereotypes. I just now realized this.

Arabs? I thought Watto was the moneygrubbing Jew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

He's middle-eastern, but the elephant-nose clinches it for "jewish."

What race was Dexter Jettster?