Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

echopapa posted:

Oh, no. If you're going to cut a promo, make it Ultimate Warrior-style.

I reccomend this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wr1syXM5jk&t=75s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Trois Pistoles is amazing but it's impossible to find outside of some bars occasionally. Some friends and I are going to take a road trip to Quebec to fill up the trunk with Unibroue this winter.

:stare:

I know of several shops in Massachusetts and Vermont that sells bottles of the stuff. Call up a few liquor stores in your area that carry large selections of wine, I find those places tend to have the good beers, too. Might let you get your hands on it sooner.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I blame the fact that I'm not studying today on Four Loko

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

fougera posted:

I blame the fact that I'm not studying on this cool book I found and all those whorls on the ceiling.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

fougera posted:

lobby congress

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
My company was "served" today with a lawsuit by a crazy guy....his method of service (for a federal suit) was by email with an embedded youtube video.

He also thinks he won a billion dollars in a default judgment.

The lawsuit involves alleged forced masturbation, abortion, copyright infringement, the illuminati, and he's amended to include the president (name mispelled "baraka h. obama"), the chief justice, and dino rossi.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

SWATJester posted:

My company was "served" today with a lawsuit by a crazy guy....his method of service (for a federal suit) was by email with an embedded youtube video.

He also thinks he won a billion dollars in a default judgment.

The lawsuit involves alleged forced masturbation, abortion, copyright infringement, the illuminati, and he's amended to include the president (name mispelled "baraka h. obama"), the chief justice, and dino rossi.

jonathan lee riches???

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

SWATJester posted:

Well, where's the link?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Tell you what, I'll give you guys the number and you can look the case up in PACER.

3:10-cv-05631-BHS

Western District, Washington.

The video I couldn't give out -- restrictive privacy policy.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I also got a bunch of threats from a "natural born citizen" the other day too. That was fun.

Anthropolis
Jun 9, 2002

I've accepted a clerkship in Alaska, the hot new Guam alternative. The location is more arctic than BigHead's but less arctic than Barrow.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

SWATJester posted:

I also got a bunch of threats from a "natural born citizen" the other day too. That was fun.

fortunately it was addressed to "SWATJESTER" not "SWATJester" so it doesnt count

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Anthropolis posted:

I've accepted a clerkship in Alaska, the hot new Guam alternative. The location is more arctic than BigHead's but less arctic than Barrow.

Fairbanks?! 100 degrees in the summer, -80 in the winter. Plus you can still homestead up there.

SWATJester posted:

Sovereign citizen suits are the best. Especially when they file 400 pages of rambling incoherence about how their Sovereign Driver's License exempts them from normal driver's license laws because they turned the word "license" into a verb. Or when they claim to own Hawaii because they turned Hawaii into a verb.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 21, 2010

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

BigHead posted:

Fairbanks?! 100 degrees in the summer, -80 in the winter. Plus you can still homestead up there.

Sovereign citizen suits are the best. Especially when they file 400 pages of rambling incoherence about how their Sovereign Driver's License exempts them from normal driver's license laws because they turned the word "license" into a verb. Or when they claim to own Hawaii because they turned Hawaii into a verb.

How does making a noun a verb confer ownership in crazy land, exactly? Did buying my souvenir "Jamaican me crazy!" T-shirt last summer inadvertently make me ruler of an island?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

The Warszawa posted:

Nothing is weighted, your GPA is your GPA, your major/discipline is pretty much flavor text.

The general rule with "issue law," like environmental or human rights, etc., that profs have imparted here is "Sure, specialize, but you better be prepared to work the 'wrong side' of the issue."

Also, while being a minority may help you in admissions it tends to mean your rear end is the first one out the door (see: minority layoff numbers), so being white washes out at worst.

For what it's worth, my ex is an enviro lawyer who never had to work the wrong side.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Hey all...found out today I failed the California bar by 21 points. Which is about 5 MBE questions, or two really gnarly essays (Cal evidence, anyone?). Part of me is relieved that I'm not so stupid that I missed by a lot, and part of me is loving PISSED that I missed it by a hair's breadth. I know a lot of people failed the California bar the first time. I know a lot of FAMOUS people, well-respected politicians and geniuses, failed the first time. I also know that even MORE people fail the Cal bar the second time (statistically), and I know I'm not a famous person or a genius.

So, where do I go from here? I have a little over two weeks to decide if I want to take, and register for, the Feb 2011 bar. My dilemma is this: while I put in the time, did a lot of notecards and outlines and read all the books and went to all the lectures, my heart wasn't in it. I didn't want to be a lawyer, so I sabotaged myself (something I have a tendency to do; a sort of fear-of-success thing that is totally separate from the law thing). I'd go to lecture, but drift off; I'd do the essays, but I'd cheat and look at my outline if I didn't feel confident. Or I'd do the essays and just outline, and jump straight to the model answer. I spent the time, but not doing quality work. I also went to the beach a lot, and parties on the weekends. Not a lot, but enough to make a difference. I justified this by taking my note cards to the beach, and by insisting that I couldn't bear to study anymore. I also had an evil roommate who had parties and band practice in the middle of the week without warning me, despite agreeing to hold off on parties for most of the summer, but he's moving out today. I went to law school, like many others, on the hope and promise of a lucrative, fulfilling career. I stayed because I was already invested. Now, as I knew it would, that logic has come back to bite me in the rear end. Because I don't know if I want to bother with it again.

My friends and peers are telling me to go for it, "might as well." But "might as well" was my mentality in law school, and I didn't do well. "Might as well" was my mentality during the bar--everyone takes the bar after law school, I might as well too--and look where it got me. If I'm going to do this again, I have to go balls-out and just kick its rear end. I have to decide I WANT to be a lawyer, and I WILL be a lawyer, and a good one at that. I know I have the potential, but I also have the tendency to just coast by on the bare minimum, and a bare-minimum career is not what I want for myself. I know I can make law into something I really WANT, and not just a job, but it will take some effort. I had taken much comfort in being very vocally anti-California (I'm an east coaster) and very vocally anti-law school, so I'm going to have to change my perspective and realize that I've been given a gift, and that many people would love to have a chance to go to law school and take the bar.

So, obviously, I have some thinking to do. I expect to have made my decision by Monday. My question to you goons is if you have any advice about deciding this sort of thing. How did you decide law was right for you? Promises of big money won't help; I already know the big money is a mirage. I want to make the right decision and really stick it this time. For example, when I decided to apply to law school, I threw myself into LSAT study and managed to get in the 90th percentile without taking a course. And I busted my rear end applying to schools, and I got into almost every school I applied to. So I know I can do it...the question is, do I want to? "Why not?" isn't working for me, obviously. So, any advice?

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 21, 2010

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Maggie Fletcher posted:

:words:

If you have to ask "do I want to be a lawyer" at this stage of your life, then I think you have your answer. You took the LSAT and went to law school because you didn't have any better options, and then half assed studying for the bar. You obviously don't want to be a lawyer.

My advice: Go do something with your life you actually want to do.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

SWATJester posted:

The lawsuit involves alleged forced masturbation

Go on....

Also Maggie, take the drat exam over.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

GamingHyena posted:

If you have to ask "do I want to be a lawyer" at this stage of your life, then I think you have your answer. You took the LSAT and went to law school because you didn't have any better options, and then half assed studying for the bar. You obviously don't want to be a lawyer.

Actually, not true. I was a molecular biologist before law school, and I loved it. But I can't get a well-paying job on my B.S.* and I doubt I can take any more school right now. My dream job is in-house for a biotech firm (pretty hot out here), so it's not like I was an English Lit major who couldn't find a job.

PS in the ultimate irony, I am actually working at Starbucks right now. Sigh.

*which I'll need for my exorbitant student loans

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 21, 2010

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Actually, not true. I was a molecular biologist before law school, and I loved it. But I can't get a well-paying job on my B.S.*

This is a kinda strange misconception a lot of people have. A Bachelor's degree (or any degree, really) is supposed to be a foot in the door, not a ticket to six figures.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Actually, not true. I was a molecular biologist before law school, and I loved it. But I can't get a well-paying job on my B.S.* and I doubt I can take any more school right now. My dream job is in-house for a biotech firm (pretty hot out here), so it's not like I was an English Lit major who couldn't find a job.

patent examiner, idiot

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Chakron posted:

This is a kinda strange misconception a lot of people have. A Bachelor's degree (or any degree, really) is supposed to be a foot in the door, not a ticket to six figures.

Oh, I know. I was doing fine before law school; had minimal loans and even though I wasn't making a lot, I was paying my bills and able to take pretty nice vacations if I budgeted well. I was getting somewhere, but not RICH RICH RICH. But my monthly law school loan payments are going to be well into the thousands, and it's not practical for me to go back to biotech on my B.S., because I won't be able to pay them. So basically I have to either become a lawyer or be creative enough to find a job that will allow me to pay back my loans.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

patent examiner, idiot

Hey Baruch, don't ever stop allowing poo poo that fails enablement, ok? :swoon:

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Maggie Fletcher posted:

So, obviously, I have some thinking to do. I expect to have made my decision by Monday. My question to you goons is if you have any advice about deciding this sort of thing. How did you decide law was right for you? Promises of big money won't help; I already know the big money is a mirage. I want to make the right decision and really stick it this time. For example, when I decided to apply to law school, I threw myself into LSAT study and managed to get in the 90th percentile without taking a course. And I busted my rear end applying to schools, and I got into almost every school I applied to. So I know I can do it...the question is, do I want to? "Why not?" isn't working for me, obviously. So, any advice?

I know a lot of guys here will tell you to cut your losses and get out, it's not too late, you're going to hate it, no jobs, die alone, etc, but you've spent 7 years in school. If you cut loose at this point the job market is going tough. Finding something you like AND that will pay the kind of cash you need for loans will be even tougher.

Take a realistic inventory of what you think your chances of finding a job to support yourself will be having passed the bar vs. the chances of finding a non-law job good enough to keep your head above water, go from there. Worry later about finding something that you'll be happy in.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mookie posted:

Hey Baruch, don't ever stop allowing poo poo that fails enablement, ok? :swoon:

me personally?

because it's like literally impossible to fail enablement in computer software without failing 101 utility pretty much

edit: like how do you describe a program in such a manner that someone wouldn't know how to program it?

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 21, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GamingHyena posted:

If you're unemployed and/or failed the bar you get to wonder if you really want to be a lawyer again.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
blah blah stuff I edited out because it's been said a trillion times in this thread...

The most fascinating thing I read recently was that Thompson-reuters sold Barbri (the bar prep company that makes tons of money) to finance their purchase of Pangea3 (a company that hires Indian attorneys trained in U.S. law to do doc review in India). What does that tell you about where the legal market is going?

Omerta fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 21, 2010

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
As a 1L,

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
As a 2L, there are no jobs so you shouldn't go.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

J Miracle posted:

As valedictorian of my TTT but still incapable of getting a job,

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Every day I remain unemployed I consider the job I turned down and want to die.

Actually if I wasn't a 3L I probably would just walk out onto a glacier and float away

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Oh, I know. I was doing fine before law school; had minimal loans and even though I wasn't making a lot, I was paying my bills and able to take pretty nice vacations if I budgeted well. I was getting somewhere, but not RICH RICH RICH. But my monthly law school loan payments are going to be well into the thousands, and it's not practical for me to go back to biotech on my B.S., because I won't be able to pay them. So basically I have to either become a lawyer or be creative enough to find a job that will allow me to pay back my loans.

Are you willing to move to another state? One that has a higher bar passage rate and better economic growth prospects than California?

(Alaska is calling.)

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Omerta posted:

The most fascinating thing I read recently was that Thompson-reuters sold Barbri (the bar prep company that makes tons of money) to finance their purchase of Pangea3 (a company that hires Indian attorneys trained in U.S. law to do doc review in India). What does that tell you about where the legal market is going?

That tells me we're moving to India! :haw:

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

Maggie Fletcher posted:

A BS in the life sciences won't go far nowadays. Too many PhDs to compete with.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
I'd offer Maggie some advice, but as a law school graduate who is currently unemployed, I am ill-equipped to do so.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Can anyone recommend a supplement for evidence I can read over thanksgiving break?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Leon Kowalski posted:

A BS in the life sciences won't go far nowadays. Too many PhDs to compete with.
The USPTO is currently recruiting patent examiners. A BS in biology will get you in the door, and it's a pretty natural fit for someone with a JD.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

echopapa posted:

Are you willing to move to another state? One that has a higher bar passage rate and better economic growth prospects than California?

(Alaska is calling.)

I thought about it. Seattle, specifically. But since I came SO close to passing, and I know what I did wrong, I'm retaking. It'd take me a few months to pack up and move to another state and take the bar there, and I'm not willing to wait. And I'm not sure I'd love Seattle enough to move there, and I fear if I wait another year to take the bar I'll lose my resolve, which right now is very strong. I'm taking it again. Over the next few days I have some life admin to do, and a plan to make, and some feedback to seek, but I'm confident I can get it done this time. 21 miserable points.

On another note, a couple of peers came to me and told me they failed too. These people were born lawyers who've never wanted to do anything else in their lives. They're also brilliant. If they failed, I don't feel too bad about failing. I just needed the kick in the pants.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
You know retakers only pass about 34% of the time, right?

Oh you wonderful snowflakes. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Is there any route to becoming a patent examiner if you have no science background whatsoever?