Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Probably doesn't fully answer your question, but you can expedite your passport so you can get it much quicker than usual - It just costs more.
So did you end up getting sick or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Actually, no! I managed to dodge it by washing my sheets and cleaning the poo poo out of my apartment. I seriously probably washed my hands 30 times in 2 days.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Can an xBox play region 0 PAL DVDs? We're in Canada.

I'm pretty sure the whole purpose of a DVD being region 0 is that any player can play them, so I would confidently guess the answer is yes. The region coding is just to prevent international film piracy, and region zero essentially means there's no anti-piracy coding on the disc.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I want to download this. I want it so bad, but when I click the download link, I get an error message. The site says:

the site posted:

If you get an error message while trying to download the file, please diable any web-anonymizer software that blocks referral headers, some internet security software may also disable the referral header.

But I do not know what this means. Is there something in firefox that is blocking my ability to download it? I use standard firefox with the pop-up blocker add-on. Disabling my popup blocker does not fix it.

What do I do to allow me to download this thing?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
mirrored for u
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7vmsl6

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Elijya posted:

I'm pretty sure the whole purpose of a DVD being region 0 is that any player can play them, so I would confidently guess the answer is yes. The region coding is just to prevent international film piracy, and region zero essentially means there's no anti-piracy coding on the disc.

Thanks very much for your reply. :) Now, what about the whole PAL/NTSC/bein' in Canada thing? Does that matter? The DVD is PAL format.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Schweinhund posted:

mirrored for u
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7vmsl6

Thank you so, so much! You are a prince among posters.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Do those paper toilet seat covers actually do anything from a disease-transmission perspective, or are they just there to make us feel better?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Eyeball posted:

Do those paper toilet seat covers actually do anything from a disease-transmission perspective, or are they just there to make us feel better?

If you don't wash you hands after using the toilet, maybe. You don't eat off of your but cheeks or shake butts with people. There are rare things to worry about but they are in the realm of worrying about meteors.

In my opinion they became popular because of people (women) "hovering" causing foulness that is beyond comprehension.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Probably doesn't fully answer your question, but you can expedite your passport so you can get it much quicker than usual - It just costs more.

Unless you are really hard up against a deadline during a busy time of year this is a waste of money. When I got a passport a couple years ago (even shortly before you needed one to go to Canada) I got my birth certificate back in a couple days and the passport itself in like a week.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Eyeball posted:

There are very few diseases that you can get through bum-tissue. You're much, much more likely to get a cold through using a public phone or keyboard, for example. Your hands/face are the most likely infection vector; the parts of your rear end that touch a toilet seat are all on the outside of you, and germs need to find a convenient path to the inside of you. Those paper covers are mostly there to make you feel better.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Unless you are really hard up against a deadline during a busy time of year this is a waste of money. When I got a passport a couple years ago (even shortly before you needed one to go to Canada) I got my birth certificate back in a couple days and the passport itself in like a week.

This is completely dependent on where you are, which passport processing center you are dealing with, and where the terror alert stands.

Living in Hawaii means I can walk into the center and wait for my passport in the office, as long as it is not alert level "black watch plaid".

People living on the mainland who have to send it to a busy processing center can wait several months for passports. Family members on the mainland have to go through this frequently.

If you need it right away, not Express Mailing (and enclosing a return SASE Express Mail envelope) means that you go in the line. Which means that it will take how ever long it takes. Travel costs are certainly many times the cost of the increased postage and expedited handling fee.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Can I pack a medium sized laundry detergent bottle in my checked luggage?

Liquid if it matters.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

kapalama posted:

People living on the mainland who have to send it to a busy processing center can wait several months for passports. Family members on the mainland have to go through this frequently.

Yeah I live in Ohio and it took 6 weeks during the non-busy season and I was told it could take up to 2 or 3 months.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Gravity Pike posted:

There are very few diseases that you can get through bum-tissue. You're much, much more likely to get a cold through using a public phone or keyboard, for example. Your hands/face are the most likely infection vector; the parts of your rear end that touch a toilet seat are all on the outside of you, and germs need to find a convenient path to the inside of you. Those paper covers are mostly there to make you feel better.

This is why, for example, if you're actually worried about getting something from a toilet seat, you should take around some of those antimicrobal wipes and actually clean the seat and your rear end rather then relying on a few millimeter thick piece of paper.

Not that you're actually likely to get anything from the seat, but if you wipe it down before you sit and your butt down after you'll have actually done something against it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

There's one banner ad I keep getting for coupons in nyc, and the picture on it is a stack of multicolored burgers(?). What are they?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

change my name posted:

There's one banner ad I keep getting for coupons in nyc, and the picture on it is a stack of multicolored burgers(?). What are they?

I've seen that too, and I'm pretty sure they're cookies.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

TLG James posted:

Can I pack a medium sized laundry detergent bottle in my checked luggage?

Liquid if it matters.

Yes. As long as you are checking it.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

My friend was showing me a "shorcut" that turned out to be through a private parking lot. The rent-a-cop in a golf cart saw me as I was leaving the lot and took out his cell phone. It looked like he was taking pictures of my car, and as I pulled out I saw he was talking to someone on the phone. I'm wondering what's the worst that can happen to me? Will I get a ticket in the mail or something? I'm definitely not going to be passing through that parking lot again.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Baggot posted:

My friend was showing me a "shorcut" that turned out to be through a private parking lot. The rent-a-cop in a golf cart saw me as I was leaving the lot and took out his cell phone. It looked like he was taking pictures of my car, and as I pulled out I saw he was talking to someone on the phone. I'm wondering what's the worst that can happen to me? Will I get a ticket in the mail or something? I'm definitely not going to be passing through that parking lot again.

IF you do that when an actual cop's around, you can get a fine of a few hundred bucks for avoiding proper signs or whatever. Presumably if the rentacops see enough people cut through the lot, they can convince an actual cop to come by and stake the place out and hand out tickets.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

(sorry, I think this got lost) We use the bf's xBox as our DVD player; will it be able to play PAL DVDs? We're in Canada.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
No it will not.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Regular Xbox or 360? Both of them are region locked meaning that they're restricted to only playing DVDs in that territory (in your case, the US and Canada). However, the 360 can be modded to get around this.

You can also strip the region lock on DVDs if you decode it on your computer and burn it to DVD.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

That doesn't really matter, as her television will probably not play a PAL format DVD too well, unless she for some reason has a multisystem TV.

I bought a Lost Highway PAL dvd and had to rip it, reverse pulldown to 23.976, reencode and burn.

This is likely what you'll have to do if you want to watch it on your TV. That doesn't take care of the whole frame size issue either, since PAL is 720x576.

edit: to be clear, it is possible that you'll be able to play a pal dvd on your tv, especially with newer tvs that can scan at 100Hz, but it's highly unlikely it'll just work, even if you clear the region on the DVD...I do think you have to be using at least component cables though, composite/s-video definitely don't lock properly.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 22, 2010

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Thanks for that; reripping might be an option. Forgot to mention it's a 360. (I never touch the thing and was going to embarrass myself by saying 'it's white')

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh
It's region 0 - you don't need to worry about regions then.

You have a 360 - if you hook it up by HDMI cable to an HD set, it won't matter that it's PAL.

I assume you already have the DVD - stick it in and it should play, but it might seem a little weird playing back.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

change my name posted:

I haven't seen the banner, but they're probably macaroons.

Question: we recently bought a barbecue which we put on our balcony, covered in a hood. A few days after we bought it a pair of pigeons decided to build a nest underneath it. They haven't laid any eggs (it's summer here, I don't know if they will lay any eggs for a while) but they are making GBS threads up our balcony and waking us up at 6AM every morning. We scare them away every time we hear them and clean away their nest every day as well. Last weekend we were gone for a few days so we put everything from the balcony inside, but they were back again this morning. What can we do to get rid of these birds?

For reference, our balcony is covered and shaded by horizontal metal bars that are maybe 6 inches apart. We've tried tying string between the bars to limit the space but they sneak in anyway. We're thinking of getting one of those fake cats with the reflective eyes but the sun doesn't get to our balcony until about noon, so nothing will reflect off that. We can try tying cds to the bars but again, there won't be a reflection in the morning and quite apart from that it is freaking ugly.

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

elbow posted:

What can we do to get rid of these birds?

A pellet gun and 30 minutes of waiting for them to hold still will solve your problem.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

baquerd posted:

A pellet gun and 30 minutes of waiting for them to hold still will solve your problem.

I'm not killing birds because they are making GBS threads on my balcony, but nice suggestion anyway!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

elbow posted:

I'm not killing birds because they are making GBS threads on my balcony, but nice suggestion anyway!

Then you'll need to trap them or cover all exposed bits between the bars with a netting no more than ~1" square per block. Alternatively, look into a sonic solution but I don't know about those.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Say someone gets convicted of some crime and are ordered to pay $1 million.

If they then go and kill themselves after the conviction is it correct that their estate would still be liable to pay that sum (if that is possible)?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Fists Up posted:

Say someone gets convicted of some crime and are ordered to pay $1 million.

If they then go and kill themselves after the conviction is it correct that their estate would still be liable to pay that sum (if that is possible)?

They could just declare bankruptcy instead of killing themselves, or I suppose their estate could too.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

This might be more suited to a computer sub-forum, but my internet shits itself every time I load a page with too many images, or watch a video on some sites. It used to be just dailymotion, now that's ok, but now it's vimeo. It loads about 20% of it then the internet drops out. Similar with a page of pictures, it will load parts of most of them and then just die. I have to go downstairs and unplug the modem thing to reset it then plug it back in and it's a pain in the arse.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to fix it?

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

elbow posted:

I don't know if it works for all birds, but many people buy plastic or ceramic Owls and set them up as a deterrent. The offending birds see the "predator" and stay away, ala scarecrows.

Edit; Pinwheel, I assume.
VVVVVVVV

Barometer fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 22, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

elbow posted:

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

If you have any wind at all, the usual solution is one of those sticks with the shiny propellors on it. Birds do not get used to them, and are startled whenever they start moving.

(I have no idea what they are called but imagine a stick with a propellor on it.)

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

My girlfriend really wants one of these Stainless Steel Sharpies but there are no European stockists for them. The only site I can find that will ship to the UK charges $90 for doing so. Is there a service (on these forums or elsewhere) where I could get someone to buy and ship one for me, then just Paypal them their costs + a bit extra for their trouble?

VVVVV
You're a star. PM sent.
VVVVV

Sanford fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 22, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Sanford posted:

My girlfriend really wants one of these Stainless Steel Sharpies but there are no European stockists for them. The only site I can find that will ship to the UK charges $90 for doing so. Is there a service (on these forums or elsewhere) where I could get someone to buy and ship one for me, then just Paypal them their costs + a bit extra for their trouble?

Normally SAMart.

I'll do it. PM me and I'll figure out the real cost of shipping, no extra charges.

shirtninjas
Nov 15, 2009
I don't know if anyone else experiences this or knows what's up, but I can't find the right google search to help me.

I live in Indiana, where, from every source I can find, the sales tax rate is 7%. However, this fluctuates widely depending in which store you go in. Different stores I've gone to charge anywhere from 7-10.5% in sales tax. HOW IS THIS LEGAL, and what is going on?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

shirtninjas posted:

I don't know if anyone else experiences this or knows what's up, but I can't find the right google search to help me.

I live in Indiana, where, from every source I can find, the sales tax rate is 7%. However, this fluctuates widely depending in which store you go in. Different stores I've gone to charge anywhere from 7-10.5% in sales tax. HOW IS THIS LEGAL, and what is going on?

The state sales tax is 7%

Apparently towns or counties can charge sales tax too at up to 3.5%, resulting in some places having a total of 10.5% sales tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

shirtninjas posted:

How is not legal is a better question.

You are not paying any taxes, the shop is paying taxes. Sales tax is figured on the business license holders gross receipts:

Shop report sales of $100.00. The taxing authority expects 7% of gross receipts, or $7.00. If a shop charges you a POS sales tax of 7% they lose money, because if they do not collect $7.00 on a $93.00 sale. ($93.00* 7%= $6.51). A smart business claims as much as possible of the purchase price is tax. But, in fact, the taxing authority just makes a claim against gross receipts. In the case of a 7% gross receipts tax, the retailer must charge a POS sales tax of 7.5% or he will lose money. ($93.00 * 7.5%= $7.00 roughly).

In some locales the taxing authority back figures the difference, so that the POS tax can look like a flat percentage. In many places they do not. Again either way, the tax is collected by the taxing authority from the retailer at a flat percentage of gross receipts.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 22, 2010