Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
if that pops up in GBS and they start talking about defections of fighter pilots I swear to God

e- random f4 content video.....I got nothin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW4Ge7EQyUg

I miss seeing those overhead when I was a kid :(

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Godholio posted:

Shiiiit. Never a good sign when a plane just disappears.

Serously... I can understand a 2-4 passenger private plane, but a military fighter with bleeding-state-of-art computer tracking, etc. I would think they would have to the second tracking of any of these worldwide.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dietcokefiend posted:

Serously... I can understand a 2-4 passenger private plane, but a military fighter with bleeding-state-of-art computer tracking, etc. I would think they would have to the second tracking of any of these worldwide.

You'd be surprised. When I worked out at EAFB we couldn't talk to crews that were off the coast around Catalina island from the control room for whatever (insert reason of the day here).

VV - Here you go http://www.google.com/search?q=miss...5883ae207568818

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 17, 2010

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I haven't seen any other news reports, so until I do I'm not getting too excited yet.

dietcokefiend posted:

It is designed to not be found. It'd be weird if it wasn't being tracked by home base since it was a training mission, but flying low and fast through mountains; who knows?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

dietcokefiend posted:

You'd think they could just pull up radar records like they do every other time a plane disappears off.... oh gently caress.

Perhaps he defected to Canada?

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I just talked to a friend of mine that works at NORAD.

They've found the missing plane, no word on the pilot.
NORAD/NORTHCOMM is a busy loving place today.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

grover posted:

Perhaps he defected to Canada?
We can hope. :ohdear:

We're in the market for new fighters, maybe building our own F22s is the way to go! :buddy:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Captain Postal posted:

It is designed to not be found. It'd be weird if it wasn't being tracked by home base since it was a training mission, but flying low and fast through mountains; who knows?

When they're flying CONUS, they've got their IFF transponder on. The FAA still owns all the airspace, even the military ranges. We have to make a few phone calls to reserve it for use, and even then Center can still take it back if they need it (this rarely happens, and it's always for a good reason). Anyway, if the Raptor is squawking, it's as good as a radar return as far as tracking goes. So as long as you've got line of sight and you're in range, you can see it...but if the terrain is mountainous there are a lot of factors that come into play-loss of radar/IFF contact, loss of radio contact, bizarro weather patterns, difficulty in detecting emergency beacons/wreckage, so on and so forth.

Not a pretty situation at all. I'll be keeping an ear out over the next few days, I'm curious to hear how all this plays out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Shiiiit. Never a good sign when a plane just disappears.

:10bux: says they've been canning parts off of it

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
New pictures of the Qantas A380 damage:
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/fuel-tank-puncture-qantas-a380-lucky-to-escape-catastrophe-say-reports-20101119-180bq.html

quote:

Confidential preliminary reports seen by Fairfax Media reveal that high-velocity parts spat from the engine tore through a fuel line and wiring looms, punctured structural spars in the wing, struck the fuselage between the two decks of windows, hit the fuselage belly and tore through wing panels.

In the cockpit, pilots faced a "cascading series of critical system failures", the Associated Press reports, and were confronted with 54 flight system error messages to work through, a task that took 50 minutes to accomplish.

A weight imbalance caused as fuel leaked from the tank complicated matters further, the agency reports.

Wiring damage prevented the pilots from being able to pump fuel between tanks, and the plane became increasingly tail heavy, raising the risk of a stall.

Talk about 100% luck that thing didn't turn into a giant flaming fireball.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

JBark posted:

I think you mean 100% laws of physics and newscorp bullshit. You can throw a burning match into that fuel and it won't ignite.

Main spar damage and cg excursion are much more serious.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Captain Postal posted:

I think you mean 100% laws of physics and newscorp bullshit. You can throw a burning match into that fuel and it won't ignite.

You do know that it was a very similar incident that was the cause of the Paris Concorde crash? The fuel mightn't ignite when a hot chunk of metal goes through it, but it certainly will if it spills on to burning engine.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Postal posted:

I think he means turns into a fireball a quarter second after hitting the loving ground.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You do know that it was a very similar incident that was the cause of the Paris Concorde crash? The fuel mightn't ignite when a hot chunk of metal goes through it, but it certainly will if it spills on to burning engine.

This is true, however....

sensationalism daily posted:

It appears to be a matter of sheer luck that the fuel - an Airbus A380 carries 310,000 litres - did not ignite and cause an explosion.

Did not ignite and cause an explosion? The average punter will read that and assume like they always have that throwing a match in a container of fuel will result in a devastating explosion.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There are quite a few airliner incidents where a fuel tank puncture has caused immediate fire.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ola posted:

There are quite a few airliner incidents where a fuel tank puncture has caused immediate fire.

Fire!=explosion

Edit: However, there HAVE been such explosions on occasion.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 19, 2010

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Godholio posted:

Fire!=explosion
That's just being pedantic. It was a good thing the plane did not light up, as there was a non-zero chance it could have.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Revolvyerom posted:

That's just being pedantic. It was a good thing the plane did not light up, as there was a non-zero chance it could have.
There is a big difference between a fire on an airplane and an explosion.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Godholio posted:

Yeah, but we're not talking about someone smoking illegally in a toilet, we're talking about bits of engine punching a hole in the wing, causing structural damage and severing fuel lines.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lilbeefer posted:

This is true, however....

Did not ignite and cause an explosion? The average punter will read that and assume like they always have that throwing a match in a container of fuel will result in a devastating explosion.

I fail to see an issue with the average dipshit thinking that.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Godholio posted:

Pretty sure the focus was whether or not there was a potential for a real disaster.

The answer: yes.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
Banked through some clouds on an IFR flight today, flying a Beechcraft Duchess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ivdMsg76Kw

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Going back to the QF-4 brought up earlier, I have a ton on unanswered questions about "drone" aircraft, mostly concerning how they are flown and what, if anything, would distinguish them from a UAV.

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 21, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

JBark posted:

New pictures of the Qantas A380 damage:
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/fuel-tank-puncture-qantas-a380-lucky-to-escape-catastrophe-say-reports-20101119-180bq.html

that's not even the worst of it:

Click here for the full 1109x770 image.

I don't know if Airbus has a repair scheme for spar damage that bad, my guess is that airplane is scrap.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Boomerjinks posted:

Going back to the QF-4 brought up earlier, I have a ton on unanswered questions about "drone" aircraft, mostly concerning how they are flown and what, if anything, would distinguish them from a UAV.

Ask away. I know a little bit (the QF-4s were controlled in the building next to mine at Tyndall AFB), but not a whole lot.

Technically they are a UAV (the current term of choice is UAS-the S meaning System) if they're flown with the seat empty, but often there is a person on board even though they dont control it unless they have to.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Linedance posted:

that's not even the worst of it:

Click here for the full 1109x770 image.

I don't know if Airbus has a repair scheme for spar damage that bad, my guess is that airplane is scrap.

In a modern airplane how much can you unbolt? Could they just replace that wing, or maybe both in a matching pair?

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
I wouldn't want to be the engineer that signs off on a main spar repair in a hundreds of million dollar passenger aircraft.

Whether or not they can replace a wing or part of a wing takes in way to many variables that only airbus knows. It totally depends on the design and construction.

Not a modern airplane; but it's depot-level year long process to replace the center wing on a C-130 with a new sub assembly.

I imagine that an a-380's wing would be "slightly" different than a herk which is pretty much an early cold-war flying tractor.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Kallikrates posted:

I wouldn't want to be the engineer that signs off on a main spar repair in a hundreds of million dollar passenger aircraft.

Whether or not they can replace a wing or part of a wing takes in way to many variables that only airbus knows. It totally depends on the design and construction.

Qantas doesn't work that way. They've never lost an airframe since the jet age and they're not going to now. It'll be repaired. The 747 mentioned earlier that slid off the runway in Bangkok cost $250M+ to repair, and $200M to replace for a brand new one; they repaired it just to keep bragging rights.

Like you say, the mainspar on those things is about the only bit that can't be fixed, so it'll probably be rebuilt from scratch but just enough left intact to keep the same manufacturers serial number. But it'll be "repaired" and the score card will show that Qantas has still never written off an airframe since the jet age

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Godholio posted:

Ask away. I know a little bit (the QF-4s were controlled in the building next to mine at Tyndall AFB), but not a whole lot.

Technically they are a UAV (the current term of choice is UAS-the S meaning System) if they're flown with the seat empty, but often there is a person on board even though they dont control it unless they have to.

How about when they are used as target drones? They are obviously flown via radio control, but is there an observing aircraft, is there a video camera going to a guy in a simulator setup?

I assume that they are mostly flown in straight lines and not necessarily used for any kind of maneuvering during live fire...

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kallikrates posted:

Wouldn't the fact that the 380 wings are made elsewhere, and then shipped in and fitted indicate QANTAS would be able to get the damaged one removed and replaced?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Wouldn't the fact that the 380 wings are made elsewhere, and then shipped in and fitted indicate QANTAS would be able to get the damaged one removed and replaced?

Yea but technically speaking the aluminum is probably also dug up someplace else and shipped in too :v:. If stuff is welded or put together in an odd one-time fashion it might not be possible.

Who foots the bill on this if it turns out it was 100% RR's fault?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Large proportions of components are made near Bristol, then the wings are built in Wales, and shipped to Toulouse for airframe assembly.

dietcokefiend posted:

If stuff is welded or put together in an odd one-time fashion it might not be possible.
I believe they use composite spars with aluminium skin etc, so my best guess would be that it's largely a bonded structure where the two meet.

I would be very surprised if they couldn't replace the entire wing as a unit, but as to whether a sectional repair could be effected on the damage, it's probably more a question of confidence level rather than technical feasibility.

quote:

Who foots the bill on this if it turns out it was 100% RR's fault?
RR's underwriters.

Unless the root cause digs up someone having falsified test data etc, at which point it's :cop: time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Boomerjinks posted:

How about when they are used as target drones? They are obviously flown via radio control, but is there an observing aircraft, is there a video camera going to a guy in a simulator setup?

I assume that they are mostly flown in straight lines and not necessarily used for any kind of maneuvering during live fire...

I don't think a dedicated observer aircraft is launched, but usually when blue air (the good guys, now usually F-22s since the F-15s are gone from Tyndall) flies they're in a 2-ship or 4-ship formation.

I actually don't know too much about the the QF-4 control setup. Based on some of the other equipment used regularly at Tyndall (ACMI) I expect they get a lot of telemetry data. The ACMI system can show raw data (like altitude, speed, angle of attack, bank angle, etc) or it can show you a 1993-ish 3d view realtime. I would expect something like that, but probably a bit more primitive (ACMI pods ain't cheap, and they certainly ain't disposable enough to be loaded onto a target).

As far as maneuvering...if they're not turning, what's the point? There are a couple of reasons for the live-fire exercises. One is to validate weapons systems. Missiles and aircraft. Missiles have to be proven to work, and the best way to do it is to launch at a realistic target. Same thing for aircraft. You don't want the first realistic test to be in combat. The other reason is pretty much the same thing, except for pilots. It's one thing to fly a normal training sortie with no live weapons, make a "Fox-3" call on the radio and do some mental math to see if it "should" work as advertised, it's another to feel the aircraft shudder and watch the trail of smoke disappear in the distance, then see a fireball miles ahead. But that's not enough...you also want to be able to track your enemy through maneuvers, and put yourself in a firing position where he'll have a hell of a time getting out of a defensive position. So yeah, they maneuver, and if the blue pilot doesn't do his job right, he just might miss. It's happened plenty of times.

There are some pretty awesome videos on youtube actually.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 21, 2010

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure the A380 wing (the skin) is made in one piece though (can't seem to find a YT of it but there was one posted on pprune) where the skin thickness varies enormously throughout the length.

I imagine if they do decide to repair it will be very complex and extremely expensive.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The ask the Pilot guy at Salon has a pretty good write-up of everything that went wrong with the Quantas A380:

quote:

The following rundown is drawn from second- or third-hand accounts, but I take it to be reliable. This, in a nutshell, is what the crew of Flight QF32 was dealing with.

* Complete, uncontained failure of No. 2 engine. As I noted in my original story, a four-engine jet can operate safely with the loss of one, and, in most cases, even two engines. Still, an engine failure is never taken lightly, especially one that has sprayed the airframe with red-hot pieces of metal.

* Shrapnel hole on one of the left wing-flap fairings (those long, canoe-shaped structures that jut from the bottom of the wing). This hole was described by once source as "big enough to fit your upper body through."

* Large shrapnel puncture clear through the forward section of the left wing. (Debris entered the bottom of the wing and exited, several feet later, out the top.)

* Assorted electrical problems. Electrical bus No. 2, normally powered via the No. 2 engine, will automatically switch to bus No. 1 in the event of failure. (Such auto-transfer capabilities are standard in commercial aircraft to keep important systems running if their normal power source is lost.) For reasons still unknown, this transfer didn't happen. Electrical buses 3 and 4, meanwhile, will supposedly power bus 2 in the event of an auto-transfer failure, but this didn't happen either. End result: Various components/systems/instruments were inoperative when they shouldn't have been.

* Total loss of all fluid in one of the plane's two main hydraulic systems. This required, among many other complications, a manual extension of landing gear.

* Substantial leaks in two of the plane's left wing fuel tanks. Literally thousands of gallons were pouring out.

* Electronic and/or mechanical failure of important fuel transfer functions. This prevented the crew from addressing a major fuel imbalance -- and subsequent flight stability issues -- brought on by the leaks.

Additionally, a substantial amount of fuel became trapped in the aft, so-called trim tank, leading to a serious center-of-gravity issue during descent and landing. The crew received repeated caution messages about this impending out-of-balance condition, but was unable to address it.

* Malfunction of the fuel jettison system. This hindered the ability to reduce weight for the emergency landing. Overweight landings entail higher landing speeds and a longer rollout distance (and though it's unlikely, there can be structural ramifications). Very overweight landings entail very high landing speeds and very long rollout distances.

* Partial failure of leading edge slats. These are the panels that slide forward from the leading edge of the wing. Similar to flaps, they increase lift and allow for slower takeoff and landing speeds. The lack of slats increased the plane's landing speed even further, perhaps beyond the rated groundspeed limits of its tires.

(Planes slow down in stages, deploying flaps, slats and gear at particular target speeds. These speeds are usually obtained from the flight management system, but reportedly there weren't enough data fields on the input screen to account for all the necessary corrections. The crew did the best it could, entering what it thought were the most critical corrections to come up with reasonable numbers.)

* Partial failure of speed brakes and ground spoilers. These are panels that lift from the wings to aid in deceleration, both aloft and on the ground. Not only was the landing roll going to be unusually long due to the aforementioned high approach speeds, but the ability to decelerate would also be hampered.

* Loss of brake anti-skid system. Ditto.

* Inability to shut down the adjacent, No. 1 engine using normal or emergency ("fire switch") methods. This was not discovered until after landing, but it meant there had been no fire protection available for the No. 1 engine after the uncontained failure of the one directly next to it. Had there been shrapnel damage to this engine as well, causing a fire, there would have been no way to shut it down.

* Plus a host of other, smaller problems and failures.

I have been told that the crew chose to commence its approach not because the problems were sorted out, but because of worries over fuel balance and center-of-gravity.

Also in other airplaney news:

quote:

F-35 saga continues

The short takeoff, vertical landing (STOVL) variant of the F-35 Lightning II has encountered the latest in a long line of serious development problems, and some government officials are suggesting the model be scrapped.

Last week, Lockheed Martin announced that fatigue cracks had been discovered in the aft bulkhead of an F-35B variant during ground testing.

The cracks were found after 1,500 hours of fatigue testing and could indicate a serious design flaw in one of the aircraft's biggest and most crucial components. The airframe should have held up to more than 16,000 hours of the tests, officials said.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The F-35B should've been scrapped 5 years ago.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also in other airplaney news:

F-35 stuff
Thank goodness "Live Free or Die Hard" had access to computer graphics software; another in a long line of movies that feature more of a specific aircraft than have been built. One of the "Incredible Hulk" movies had four or five RAH-66 Comanches on-screen at once, when only three were ever built.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Godholio posted:

The F-35B should've been scrapped 5 years ago.
And keep the Harrier around another 30 years?

The F-35B is, of the 3 variants, the one where there is really NO alternative at all but to fix it. In the whole scheme of things, reinforcing parts of the structure doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. There are always engineering changes/updates in projects this big.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

grover posted:

There are always engineering changes/updates in projects this big.

True, but fatigue cracks appearing in a major structural component at less than 10% of the design life seems like a pretty "oops" this late in the program, especially with all the other schedule and budget overruns LockMart has run into during the F-35 project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

grover posted:

The F-35B is, of the 3 variants, the one where there is really NO alternative at all but to fix it. In the whole scheme of things, reinforcing parts of the structure doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. There are always engineering changes/updates in projects this big.

I think this may be part of the problem, strangely. I'm not sure when we started saying "we're going to replace our Xs with Ys, which is filled with all sorts of new technology we're in the middle of developing but we're still going to start using them four years hence", but it seems to me this causes problems.* It makes the developers focus on meeting an arbitrary deadline instead of getting all the bugs worked out. In the Osprey, for example, if they had just kept working on it, and had the marines just buy regular helicopter replacements in the near term, the Osprey would have had far fewer problems. It's the same process that creates bad software and video games.

Also weird fact about the Harrier: it is the most deadly aircraft in the Western arsenal, having killed quite a few of it's own pilots over the years. Of course, the thing is basically just a giant turbofan with some wings and mounting points attached.

*This is of course presuming defence contractors are not purposely proposing things that are insanely complex and over ambitious to begin with to keep the thing perpetually in development