Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

guidoanselmi posted:

Ok 2 more q's because now I'm seriously entertaining ruining a bunch of my rolls.

-How about the toxicity of the chems? can you just pour them down the drain with the tetrinol? http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00GiGm seems like good enough, but more input the better
-What about diluting chems? I use 1/2 diluted HC-110 for BW and dev for 2x as long. I don't know if there's this sort of linearity with E6/C41 dev?

I get away with disposing of the chems at work with all the other evil stuff we use. Taking to the local dump is probably a good idea, like Reichstag said.

I've never heard of people diluting the chems and I couldn't really comment on the linearity of them either.

I've only being doing my own colour for a relatively shot time, and I haven't ruined a roll yet. I think all the fear comes from people who are nuts about getting the most precisely correct colour balance, but we all know how inconsistent labs can be, so give it a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongodrums
May 7, 2010
Hello everyone. I've got a question about Kodak d-76 if anyone can help me out that would be great.

I developed my first roll of Arista Prem iso 100 film and it looks like everything got blown out. I did a little more reading and I THINK i got the dev times mixed up.

I mixed the d76 with one gallon of water as the bag says, is this my stock solution? and Working solution is adding 1 part stock and 1 part water?

I think I used the Stock solution with Working solution time (8.5mins instead of 5). Would this result in blown out negs?

Cheers

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Sounds like that's what happened to me.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

this thing showed up at my door yesterday

DSC_6714 by richardhkirkando, on Flickr

Pretty much an impulse purchase for $550 on Adorama's used section. They had it listed as EX...yet they listed another M5 a day later in VG for $800 :stare:. Rangefinder alignment seemed off, but fixing the vertical alignment was stupidly easy (just turning the screw next to the frameline illuminator) and the horizontal shouldn't be too bad, from what I've read. Or maybe its just fine as-is...my first roll of film is fixing right now.

Anyway, I'm really impressed so far. The shutter is very quiet, and I can barely even feel it fire. I know the phrase "built like a tank" gets thrown around pretty liberally, but this actually does feel more solid than anything else I've touched. Viewfinder isn't quite as nice as my Bessa R, but the wider base makes it feel a lot easier to focus. That's the thing that I like about my Kiev - the base length makes it easy to see things snap into focus, plus you have a little bit of margin for error with fast lenses. This one seems very similar in that respect.

That all said, I can see why this is regarded as the Windows ME of Leicas. The strap lugs are awkwardly placed, and it is quite a bit larger than I expected. But hey, if I don't like it, I'm sure I can sell it for a decent profit.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

FasterThanLight posted:

Pretty much an impulse purchase for $550 on Adorama's used section. They had it listed as EX...yet they listed another M5 a day later in VG for $800 :stare:. Rangefinder alignment seemed off, but fixing the vertical alignment was stupidly easy (just turning the screw next to the frameline illuminator) and the horizontal shouldn't be too bad, from what I've read. Or maybe its just fine as-is...my first roll of film is fixing right now.

Anyway, I'm really impressed so far. The shutter is very quiet, and I can barely even feel it fire. I know the phrase "built like a tank" gets thrown around pretty liberally, but this actually does feel more solid than anything else I've touched. Viewfinder isn't quite as nice as my Bessa R, but the wider base makes it feel a lot easier to focus. That's the thing that I like about my Kiev - the base length makes it easy to see things snap into focus, plus you have a little bit of margin for error with fast lenses. This one seems very similar in that respect.

That all said, I can see why this is regarded as the Windows ME of Leicas. The strap lugs are awkwardly placed, and it is quite a bit larger than I expected. But hey, if I don't like it, I'm sure I can sell it for a decent profit.

Nice find, as I'm not sure you can find a Leica CL for less than 600 bucks. Does the meter still work?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

drat, nice find! $800 is a lot more in line with M5 pricing from what I've seen, you got a really nice deal on that one.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Nice find, as I'm not sure you can find a Leica CL for less than 600 bucks. Does the meter still work?

They're not that expensive at all; I think around $350-$400 or so for just the body, less if the meter isn't working. I got one last year (the Minolta version, but same difference) with the 40mm Summicron for about $530, but the shutter jammed on like my fifth test shot, so back it went.

M3's (the older, double-stroke kind) are also relatively inexpensive for a Leica, probably because they're meterless and don't have any framelines wider than 50mm.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

FasterThanLight posted:

rangefinder awesomeness...

I feel a powerful urge to make fun of you for buying an M5. I am mature enough to realize this is because I'm jealous of your new Leica.

I never shoot 35mm any more but every time I see a Leica I just have to go look at prices on KEH. I think I might have a problem.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I want to get an M5 just to be a rebel.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
M5 is an interesting camera. Sorta reminds me (looks wise) of a Fed 5.

I always get tempted to buy another Leica (I've owned an M3, an M6, and an MP) but every time I think about the propsect of shooting 35mm I think twice about it and don't pull the trigger. The M3 I sold because I couldn't deal with the double stroke wind and no wide angle, the M6 I sold because I bought a 300mm AF-S nikon lens, and the MP I sold because I couldn't bear the though of that expensive camera sitting in my bag never being used.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

killabyte posted:

M5 is an interesting camera. Sorta reminds me (looks wise) of a Fed 5.

I always get tempted to buy another Leica (I've owned an M3, an M6, and an MP) but every time I think about the propsect of shooting 35mm I think twice about it and don't pull the trigger. The M3 I sold because I couldn't deal with the double stroke wind and no wide angle, the M6 I sold because I bought a 300mm AF-S nikon lens, and the MP I sold because I couldn't bear the though of that expensive camera sitting in my bag never being used.

Bessa R2a/R3a

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Bessa R2a/R3a

I've actually owned an R3M. The drat rangefinder used to get misaligned all the time so I sold it, but the 50/2 heliar was a cool lens.

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK
First time shooting film.

Portra 400

Tri-X

Portra 800 pushed 1 stop.

Tri-X 400 pushed 2 stops.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Meter does work, though I'm not yet sure how accurate it is. The alkaline battery that came with it caused it to be way off, but replacing it with a Weincell zinc-air battery got it back within a stop or so when compared side-by-side with my DSLR. I've only been through a couple rolls of pushed Tri-X, so I'll have to see how it goes with slower film.

I've found that the side lugs work well if you put your strap over your left shoulder. Which I normally don't, but that's not a huge deal.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Stupid question, but as long as the film says "Process C-41" Walgreens or wherever can develop it, right?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

Stupid question, but as long as the film says "Process C-41" Walgreens or wherever can develop it, right?

Yes, and even if it doesn't, places that have film processing will be able to ship it out to a lab that can do it (most of the time).

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

A bit of work trying to pull the green out which has replaced it with some pink fringing here and there, but for terribly expired slides they're not too bad I guess.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
My soon to be father in law got all excited when I told him that I was getting into film (just bought a canon Elan II and have my first roll of film running through that right now). He ran down to his basement and brought up an Olympus XA a few minutes later. It's a super compact rangefinder that's got a cool little interface for aperture priority mode shooting only. After he showed me how a bunch of the features worked he told me that I should have it because he never uses film anymore. Neat! It's so weird not to have a big noisy mirror slap when I take a photo. It hardly seems like it's working.

Here's what it looks like (photo's not mine, but it's up on waffleimages):

Cannister fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 26, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cannister posted:

My soon to be father in law got all excited when I told him that I was getting into film (just bought a canon Elan II and have my first roll of film running through that right now). He ran down to his basement and brought up an Olympus XA a few minutes later. It's a super compact rangefinder that's got a cool little interface for aperture priority mode shooting only. After he showed me how a bunch of the features worked he told me that I should have it because he never uses film anymore. Neat! It's so weird not to have a big noisy mirror slap when I take a photo. It hardly seems like it's working.

Here's what it looks like:

Lucky you! They're awesome little cameras, great for slipping on a pocket and carrying around everywhere. Run a roll of Kodachrome through it before it's too late :unsmith:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Cannister posted:

Here's what it looks like (photo's not mine, but it's up on waffleimages):

It's a pretty awesome little camera.

If you can, get the meter recalibrated so it underexposes by a stop. Then you can get iso 1600 on it.

Then its a pretty awesome little camera that is good everywhere.

Wish I could find a local place to get that done. :'(

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

Demon_Corsair posted:

It's a pretty awesome little camera.

If you can, get the meter recalibrated so it underexposes by a stop. Then you can get iso 1600 on it.

Then its a pretty awesome little camera that is good everywhere.

Wish I could find a local place to get that done. :'(

I can't just set the ISO to like 420 instead of 400 for the same effect?

Also I just got the 1-hour photo results of my test rolls for both the Elan and the XA and I love them both (the XA especially). I'll post them in a few days when I get home to scan them!

Woo film! It's surprisingly fun!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cannister posted:

I can't just set the ISO to like 420 instead of 400 for the same effect?

You can, but the camera's ISO dial tops out at a measly ISO 800. If you get the meter recalibrated to read a stop fast the range will be 50-1600, with the option to get the low ISO's back with the +1.5EV backlight compensator switch if you want them.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I went into BH today asking if they had one of those Olympus XAs and left disappointed that they only had the ones with the flash. It wasn't until I saw a video of one a couple of minutes ago that I realized that the flash just screws on and wasn't a different version of the camera. I am a dumbass.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You can, but the camera's ISO dial tops out at a measly ISO 800. If you get the meter recalibrated to read a stop fast the range will be 50-1600, with the option to get the low ISO's back with the +1.5EV backlight compensator switch if you want them.
I seem to remember you talking about this a while ago, but how does one go about recalibrating the meter?

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
I was really excited when I finished up the first rolls from both the Elan II and the XA, so I ran to walgreens and had prints made fast. I need to get some drat chemicals (I have to wait until Christmas since I asked for a bunch of that stuff) because each roll was 9 bucks to develop and print there. What a rip.

Anyway - here's one from the Elan:

And one with the XA (my fiancee is hold the aforementioned elan):

I'm really excited about what came out of both rolls. I'm officially crossing my fingers HARD for the Bronica for Christmas. I'll have so many different camera options! I only learned how to focus the XA near the end of the first roll (it can be VERY hard to see the 2nd image floating around in the viewfinder in poor light).

Also: The BW film was Kodak professional BW 400. When I got it back all of the photos were super sepia-looking. Very brown/yellow. I desaturated the photo when I scanned it. Is that the look of that film in general, or an artifact of poor processing at Walgreens?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spf3million posted:

I seem to remember you talking about this a while ago, but how does one go about recalibrating the meter?

I sent it out; Midstate Camera Repair has a part-time dedicated Olympus tech. The XA had a jammed shutter already, they didn't ask anything extra for the meter recalibration.

Cannister posted:

I was really excited when I finished up the first rolls from both the Elan II and the XA, so I ran to walgreens and had prints made fast. I need to get some drat chemicals (I have to wait until Christmas since I asked for a bunch of that stuff) because each roll was 9 bucks to develop and print there. What a rip.

Anyway - here's one from the Elan:

And one with the XA (my fiancee is hold the aforementioned elan):

I'm really excited about what came out of both rolls. I'm officially crossing my fingers HARD for the Bronica for Christmas. I'll have so many different camera options! I only learned how to focus the XA near the end of the first roll (it can be VERY hard to see the 2nd image floating around in the viewfinder in poor light).

Also: The BW film was Kodak professional BW 400. When I got it back all of the photos were super sepia-looking. Very brown/yellow. I desaturated the photo when I scanned it. Is that the look of that film in general, or an artifact of poor processing at Walgreens?

Try cleaning off the RF window of the XA; if it gets dusty that can make it harder to see. Another trick is to take a section of blank, processed C-41 film and tape that over the viewfinder; you lose some overall brightness, but gain contrast. Was the only way I could use my my Zorki.

The BW400 should look like regular B&W film when you scan it. You should definitely look into getting your own negative scanner (especially if you get that Bronica), developing a 36-exp roll of C-41 film at my local CVS is only like $2.60 after tax.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Cannister posted:

<snip>
Haven't used that film, but I understand that the brown cast is characteristic of the negatives. The brown prints are a result of someone not paying attention at the processor. If you have to develop at a Walgreen’s again, ask for development only and—if you want, a CD—and skip the cost of prints. Scan them yourself, if possible.

Also, you may want to ask the clerk to NOT cut the negs and just drop the roll into a canister and cut the negs yourself. If you don't have your own archival sleeves at home, ask to take home one of their sleeves. I say this because my local drug store developers tend to manhandle negs, cut into frames, and wander off to leave my film in the open to gather dust.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I sent it out; Midstate Camera Repair has a part-time dedicated Olympus tech. The XA had a jammed shutter already, they didn't ask anything extra for the meter recalibration.

$85 for just the calibration.

And they aren't terribly willing to ship to Canada. :emo:

Finally got all the stuff necessary for developing. Spent all Saturday night clearing out the backlog in my fridge.

I had forgotten how dull developing really is. Printing is definitely where its at. Now I just need January to get here so I can get back into a proper darkroom.

e:spelling.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 1, 2010

widerruflich
May 6, 2007
...we accept the inevitable
Just picked up a Canon AE-1 Program w/ 50mm f/1.8 for $55. It's my first film camera since I used to play around with compacts when I was a kid.

The cost of film + developing + printing is prohibitively expensive though :O. The cost of purchasing, developing, and printing a roll of film would easily be half of what I paid for the camera.

I guess it's time to learn how to develop them myself :P

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

$100 will get you just about everything you need to dev B&W at home, the expensive part is the scanner.

Cannister posted:

...or enlarger/paper
ya 8(

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 1, 2010

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

evil_bunnY posted:

$100 will get you just about everything you need to dev B&W at home, the expensive part is the scanner.

...or enlarger/paper

vvvvv I mean that one must not necessarily spend a lot of money on a scanner - as there are good enlargers going for cheap and you'd never need to touch a scanner. vvvvv

Cannister fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 1, 2010

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
^^^^I got my entire home darkroom setup for $100 on Craig's List. I switched out to Nikkor lenses but it even came with a 50 and 75. Deals are out there to be found.

And speaking of CL, I just got 10 Hewes reels for $10. I never have to touch some lovely spring clamp reel again!

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Cannister posted:

...or enlarger/paper

vvvvv I mean that one must not necessarily spend a lot of money on a scanner - as there are good enlargers going for cheap and you'd never need to touch a scanner. vvvvv

I would love to have an enlarger. Although I cant imagine trying to use it in my wee little bathroom.

But they seem to go cheap on craigslist surprisingly often, so I may be figuring how to make it fit pretty soon...

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
Some crazy person just posted a lot of film cameras for sale in SA Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3370067&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post385188930

Ok it was me but I am crazy! I've been lurking here for a while so I thought someone might be interested.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
IVE GOT A QUESTION ABOUT PAPER.

Specifically, "direct positive" paper. I'm doing a project that requires direct positive paper, and unfortunate Harman's Direct Positive B&W (which I lusted over) isn't really easily available in the States in the time frame/price range I'm looking at. Anyone have any recommendations?

The project, which probably won't work, is to take video data from a webcam, interpret it using a programming library called openCV, send it to an arduino microcontroller, which will tell an 8x8 grid of LEDs to light, depending on the information received. This will expose a piece of photo paper, which I will then develop. It's like a human photobooth. With abstract photos. Or something.

(I thought cause y'all, you know, still shoot film, you might know a thing or two about paper. I asked in the general questions thread, but made the mistake of asking in the midst of some discussion and consequently got ignored).

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 2, 2010

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Awkward Davies posted:

IVE GOT A QUESTION ABOUT PAPER.

Specifically, "direct positive" paper. I'm doing a project that requires direct positive paper, and unfortunate Harman's Direct Positive B&W (which I lusted over) isn't really easily available in the States in the time frame/price range I'm looking at. Anyone have any recommendations?

The project, which probably won't work, is to take video data from a webcam, interpret it using a programming library called openCV, send it to an arduino microcontroller, which will tell an 8x8 grid of LEDs to light, depending on the information received. This will expose a piece of photo paper, which I will then develop. It's like a human photobooth. With abstract photos. Or something.

(I thought cause y'all, you know, still shoot film, you might know a thing or two about paper. I asked in the general questions thread, but made the mistake of asking in the midst of some discussion and consequently got ignored).

Efke Photo Positive Paper

This is right up your alley. I've used it personally and it's pretty decent.

Crappy cellphone pic of a crappy pinhole pic. Sorry. For what you're describing it should be fine.

gib
Jul 14, 2004
I am probably Lowtax
Could you just make the 8x8 grid display a negative image so that it'll show up as a positive on regular paper? You could stick it inside of an MF camera and use a Polaroid back.

widerruflich
May 6, 2007
...we accept the inevitable
Goons, I've just impulsiely bought and collected this for about $26:

Condenser on adjustable stand with bulb
lens F 55
condenser D=73, f=80
magnification lin. 1 / 8.5
adjustable frame 18mm x 24mm
red filter
dark room light with bulb
35mm film developing tank with auto load reel

It's lying in a box in my bathroom... Where do I start? :negative:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I just picked up from the shop the first roll of film I've shot since I bought my DSLR. One of the ebay lenses I bought unexpectedly came with 2 rolls of Fuji Pro 160, and I'm pretty happy with how the first roll turned out. They expired September of 2009, and I'm poking around ebay looking for good deals on similar expired film.

I really like the colours in the Ektachrome stuff posted on Flickr, but ebay prices are up around $10 / roll, which seems really high for old stuff. Two somewhat silly questions:
1. Can slide film be developed to CD-ROM, or would I need to have it printed as slides, and pay for scanning (or find a scanner)?
2. C-41 film is much cheaper. Anyone have any prefered brands that give interesting results?

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

I just picked up from the shop the first roll of film I've shot since I bought my DSLR. One of the ebay lenses I bought unexpectedly came with 2 rolls of Fuji Pro 160, and I'm pretty happy with how the first roll turned out. They expired September of 2009, and I'm poking around ebay looking for good deals on similar expired film.

I really like the colours in the Ektachrome stuff posted on Flickr, but ebay prices are up around $10 / roll, which seems really high for old stuff. Two somewhat silly questions:
1. Can slide film be developed to CD-ROM, or would I need to have it printed as slides, and pay for scanning (or find a scanner)?
2. C-41 film is much cheaper. Anyone have any prefered brands that give interesting results?

1. The process is no different than the way C-41 is put on CD. The negatives are developed and the film is scanned.

2. Try Ektar 100, it's basically the newest tech. Ilford XP2 is a black and white C-41 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Just got a poo poo ton of film from CL:

13 rolls of 120 acros, some other bw (lucky and formapan), velvia, and ektachrome and then rolls of 220 160S, : $26

on that note:

ExecuDork posted:

That's really high. I think I get it at like $5/roll for 120. (just checked and it's like $7ish locally)