Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark Knight
Dec 13, 2008

There was a game for PS2 that was sort of a 3D dual-joystick shooter on rails, and the goal was to chain stars together or something. There were weird interludes between the levels with something unrelated and surreal.

\/\/\/\/ Yep that's gotta be it, thanks.

Dark Knight fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Dark Knight posted:

There was a game for PS2 that was sort of a 3D dual-joystick shooter on rails, and the goal was to chain stars together or something. There were weird interludes between the levels with something unrelated and surreal.

Fantavision perhaps? It's a puzzle game, but the goal was to chain fireworks together, and I remember it having weird interludes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Sorry for a necromance, but does anyone remember an RPG where, about halfway through, your characters find a large mural in a dungeon or something that it supposed to tell the end of the world, or the past, or something? I think it was PS1 or PS2 era.

I know Tales of Vesperia had one, but I don't think that's the one I am remembering. If I remember right, it was in sorta a yellowish brown room, and as you were going deeper into the dungeon, the mural was on your left side.

This happens a lot. Grandia and Xenogears are the two games that pop in my mind where a bunch of dungeons are excavation sites of old ruins.

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly
I played a demo of a game sometime... must have been around 2003-2005. I'm not sure, it's been a long time. It was set on some alien planet. Everything was bright and fluorescent-seeming and the graphics were super excellent for the time. Your character was an average mid-20's-type space guy. I remember riding on some creature that may have resembled an ostrich, near aliens that were harvesting some kind of grain, it reminded me of rice paddies. This is driving me nuts. I want to lead that thing up and see what it looks like on a modern machine!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Freshman posted:

I played a demo of a game sometime... must have been around 2003-2005. I'm not sure, it's been a long time. It was set on some alien planet. Everything was bright and fluorescent-seeming and the graphics were super excellent for the time. Your character was an average mid-20's-type space guy. I remember riding on some creature that may have resembled an ostrich, near aliens that were harvesting some kind of grain, it reminded me of rice paddies. This is driving me nuts. I want to lead that thing up and see what it looks like on a modern machine!

Pretty sure it's Outcast which is older than your projected years but fits perfectly. It's available on GoG for cheap so go buy it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Sorry for a necromance, but does anyone remember an RPG where, about halfway through, your characters find a large mural in a dungeon or something that it supposed to tell the end of the world, or the past, or something? I think it was PS1 or PS2 era.

I know Tales of Vesperia had one, but I don't think that's the one I am remembering. If I remember right, it was in sorta a yellowish brown room, and as you were going deeper into the dungeon, the mural was on your left side.

Could be Dark Chronicle, aka Dark Cloud 2. The ocean caves dungeon has a big mural like that.

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Capsaicin posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27UGJE1_-iw Breath of Fire III is the first thing I thought of. This it?

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

al-azad posted:

Pretty sure it's Outcast which is older than your projected years but fits perfectly. It's available on GoG for cheap so go buy it.

Hell yes! That's it! I was so tired of typing "Nice looking game" +space +ostrich beast and other ridiculous variants thereof into Google. Right on, thanks again.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I'm trying to think of the name of a side scrolling platformer for DOS. It played Moonlight Sonata on the title screen and I think there was also a scrolling text intro over a post-apocalyptic landscape.
I may have misremembered some details but I hope that's enough info to identify it.

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001

Violent J Mascis posted:

I'm trying to think of the name of a side scrolling platformer for DOS. It played Moonlight Sonata on the title screen and I think there was also a scrolling text intro over a post-apocalyptic landscape.
I may have misremembered some details but I hope that's enough info to identify it.

Firehawk - Thexder II?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqYui5qpu2A

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Edit: Wrong thread.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 9, 2010

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Here's a difficult one that's been bothering me for a few weeks now.

There was an RTS-type game back when 3D games were just starting to show up. There were three alien races colored red, green and blue. They were fairly insectoid looking but the models were not very complex. Fairly simple triangular shapes. From the screenshots I remember the camera was down at ground level watching the action.

The only other thing I remember clearly was a single unit that looked like a Zoanthrope and was called a Mindflayer (Red aliens)

I think the title was something like Natural Selection, Evolution, or something like that.

Travic fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 9, 2010

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Solvalou posted:

Firehawk - Thexder II?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqYui5qpu2A

No but I looked it up and it was the first Thexder I was thinking of. Thanks.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
I'm trying to remember the name of a turn-based strategy RPG on the PC from (I'm guessing here) the mid-90s. I think I first played it between 1995 and 1997, but there's no guarantee that it wasn't already kind of old when I first played it. It was a futuristic one where all the combat is done in robots on a glorious hex-grid battlefield. One feature I remember is that your generic pilots will eventually die of old age as the game progresses and you would need to sign on new generic pilots that looked the same as the old ones. I want to say it has 'Storm' somewhere in the name.

I'll come back and add more if I remember anything else. Thanks!

The Timely Howard fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 9, 2010

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Googling [hex strategy pc game robots "aging"] got me MissionForce: CyberStorm , which seems to fit most of your criteria. The sequel went with a square grid.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
This is an arcade game I would have played in the early 90s. It was a shooting gallery style game. There were two guns for two players, and you were shooting at a house with 6-8 rooms, looked like a split open dollhouse. Ghosts would appear in different rooms in the house and you would shoot them.

This game was different in that the house and the rooms were physically there, and the ghosts were somehow projected digitally onto them. I remember that in the bathroom there was this little toilet whose lid would flip up, and a digital ghost would poke its head out. The effect looked like the cgi ghosts in Ghostbusters.

I was pretty taken by how the game looked at the time and wouldn't mind knowing what it was called. I think the cabinet was half the height of a regular arcade cab.

pud
Jul 9, 2001

Pweller posted:

This is an arcade game I would have played in the early 90s. It was a shooting gallery style game. There were two guns for two players, and you were shooting at a house with 6-8 rooms, looked like a split open dollhouse. Ghosts would appear in different rooms in the house and you would shoot them.

This game was different in that the house and the rooms were physically there, and the ghosts were somehow projected digitally onto them. I remember that in the bathroom there was this little toilet whose lid would flip up, and a digital ghost would poke its head out. The effect looked like the cgi ghosts in Ghostbusters.

I was pretty taken by how the game looked at the time and wouldn't mind knowing what it was called. I think the cabinet was half the height of a regular arcade cab.

Might be Ghost Squad or one of it's spinoffs.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Pweller posted:

That would be Golly! Ghost!

Ghost squad is a conventional lightgun game where you shoot terrorists, not ghosts.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Yes! Golly Ghost, thanks

Riidi WW
Sep 16, 2002

by angerbeet
Okay, this one's for my wife. She says it was an old DOS game that came on a 5.25 floppy with a midi soundtrack of moonlight sonata. She also says that it was "kind of like prince of persia, but with less jumping. maybe made by sierra??"

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Riidi WW posted:

Okay, this one's for my wife. She says it was an old DOS game that came on a 5.25 floppy with a midi soundtrack of moonlight sonata. She also says that it was "kind of like prince of persia, but with less jumping. maybe made by sierra??"

Thexder probably.

Riidi WW
Sep 16, 2002

by angerbeet

Flannelette posted:

Thexder probably.

Yep, that's it. Thanks!

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There's a Playstation 1 game I played just once as a kid, and never saw again. It's a top-down shooter where you controlled one person and you went room to room blasting away at goons. There was some variety with the character you could choose to play as. The three that I remember: one is a girl who I think had a bazooka style weapon, one is a black guy with a flamethrower, and the last guy I remember is a guy with a fedora who went akimbo with pistols - he also had a special attack that rippled out a red wave that wiped out enemies.

I remember respawning after dying quite a number of times; which made the game seem pretty lenient, before finding out that the continues were actually finite. I also seem to remember that while the dead bodies faded out, there were a lot of bloodstains left behind after you killed the mooks, the exception coming from the flamethrowing character.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

M. Propagandalf posted:

There's a Playstation 1 game I played just once as a kid, and never saw again. It's a top-down shooter where you controlled one person and you went room to room blasting away at goons. There was some variety with the character you could choose to play as. The three that I remember: one is a girl who I think had a bazooka style weapon, one is a black guy with a flamethrower, and the last guy I remember is a guy with a fedora who went akimbo with pistols - he also had a special attack that rippled out a red wave that wiped out enemies.

I remember respawning after dying quite a number of times; which made the game seem pretty lenient, before finding out that the continues were actually finite. I also seem to remember that while the dead bodies faded out, there were a lot of bloodstains left behind after you killed the mooks, the exception coming from the flamethrowing character.

Loaded and Re-Loaded on PSX?

I haven't played either game since the late 90s, so it's a guess.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I'm thinking of an old NES game I used to play.

It had awesome music, and unless I'm blending two games in my memory (I don't think I am but it's possible) it had two different gameplay modes: you'd fly around in space with a first person view out of your cockpit until you found whatever planet you were supposed to reach and then it would shift to a 3rd person sidescrolling view where you could move the ship up down left and right (but the stage always scrolled to the right and your ship always faced right, you couldn't backtrack) and you shot up enemies.

What game or games I'm thinking of?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
There was this 2d PC side scroller (with motion capture animation IIRC) where you would start off with a dark monster far away in the background which would follow you until you met it after some time. Some kind of lion-like creature if I remember correctly, anyone know which game I'm talking about?

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Andrigaar posted:

Loaded and Re-Loaded on PSX?

I haven't played either game since the late 90s, so it's a guess.

Thanks!

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Koesj posted:

There was this 2d PC side scroller (with motion capture animation IIRC) where you would start off with a dark monster far away in the background which would follow you until you met it after some time. Some kind of lion-like creature if I remember correctly, anyone know which game I'm talking about?

Out of This World (US) / Another World (elsewhere)

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
A PC game I would have played in the (late?) 90s. Isometric view, you controlled a soldier who would be placed in a stage with many other enemies which you had to kill to move on. You had an arsenal of weapons on you, machine gun, pistol, grenades that you could switch between. Graphics were really bad and rudimentary. I think most of the levels looked like you were outside and there were walls of buildings you could go in and out of. I also think you had to be careful and sneak up behind the badguys since they would start shooting at you as soon as you got within range.

Hopefully this doesn't sound too generic, I can picture it in my head. It's like an old school rainbow six game except the people are like 10 pixels tall.

BrQ
Nov 1, 2010
A very old PC game, it was by SEGA (I remember when I started it up, you could hear someone say 'SEEEEEGA'. You would be presented by a screen where you could choose a game. It was a black screen and in the middle you had the picture of the first game. When you pressed LeftArrow, it would go to the second game picture etc. Some games were RPGs, some were mario like.
I remember the second game was a game with chicks (the animal!). You would be a big chick I believe and you had to touch other chicks so that they would follow you, but you had to watch out for some kind of monster that would eat/kill the chicks.
I remember from the first game that it was an RPG. I believe there were goblins in it. The fight scenes looked like Heroes III fight scenes, but turned 90 degrees with older graphics of course.

Oh and another one, where you were basically in some kind of maze, topdown 2d view. You were a guy and there were ants around you. Everytime you took a step, the ants also took a step, so you had to move strategically. You had to go to a certain place without getting killed by the ants.

BrQ fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 22, 2010

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X

Pweller posted:

A PC game I would have played in the (late?) 90s. Isometric view, you controlled a soldier who would be placed in a stage with many other enemies which you had to kill to move on. You had an arsenal of weapons on you, machine gun, pistol, grenades that you could switch between. Graphics were really bad and rudimentary. I think most of the levels looked like you were outside and there were walls of buildings you could go in and out of. I also think you had to be careful and sneak up behind the badguys since they would start shooting at you as soon as you got within range.

Hopefully this doesn't sound too generic, I can picture it in my head. It's like an old school rainbow six game except the people are like 10 pixels tall.

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

I feel like a total plebe for forgetting about this game :(

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

The Entity posted:

Nope, will be older than that. The graphics were seriously like a total of a dozen pixels for a person. Their heads were one pink pixel.

Game was real-time, you could move forwards and backwards, rotate left and right, shoot, and switch weapons. That's it.

e: maybe it was early 90s

graphics were wayyyy worse than that still
vvvv

e2: this will probably never get guessed, I probably played it right when windows 95 rolled around, maybe not even. I do remember the game was a single exe file I got from some random game website. It was simple but had some pretty sweet gameplay.

Pweller fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 22, 2010

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

The Entity posted:

Could be Jagged Alliance.

edit although that wasn't real-time IIRC

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Seizure Robot posted:

I'm thinking of an old NES game I used to play.

It had awesome music, and unless I'm blending two games in my memory (I don't think I am but it's possible) it had two different gameplay modes: you'd fly around in space with a first person view out of your cockpit until you found whatever planet you were supposed to reach and then it would shift to a 3rd person sidescrolling view where you could move the ship up down left and right (but the stage always scrolled to the right and your ship always faced right, you couldn't backtrack) and you shot up enemies.

It might be Destination Earthstar. I'm not sure.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What was that old freeware platformer with all the hats?

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X

BrQ posted:

A very old PC game, it was by SEGA (I remember when I started it up, you could hear someone say 'SEEEEEGA'. You would be presented by a screen where you could choose a game. It was a black screen and in the middle you had the picture of the first game. When you pressed LeftArrow, it would go to the second game picture etc. Some games were RPGs, some were mario like.
I remember the second game was a game with chicks (the animal!). You would be a big chick I believe and you had to touch other chicks so that they would follow you, but you had to watch out for some kind of monster that would eat/kill the chicks.
I remember from the first game that it was an RPG. I believe there were goblins in it. The fight scenes looked like Heroes III fight scenes, but turned 90 degrees with older graphics of course.

Oh and another one, where you were basically in some kind of maze, topdown 2d view. You were a guy and there were ants around you. Everytime you took a step, the ants also took a step, so you had to move strategically. You had to go to a certain place without getting killed by the ants.

The chick game you mention is definitely Flicky. The RPG is probably Shining Force.

Not too sure on the ant game, though.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

BrQ posted:

DROD

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Saint Septimus posted:

It might be Destination Earthstar. I'm not sure.

Yes! That's exactly it, glad I'm not crazy and it does indeed have both different gameplay modes. Pretty cool for an NES game and I'm listening to the music right now and it's as awesome as I remember it (I'm sure nostalgia plays a part in this but still.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

BrQ posted:

The bird one was Flicky, I believe. No idea about the others.

• Locked thread