Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Himuro posted:

I'm disappointed Kanye has morphed into a generic rap icon. To me, Kanye used to be a symbol for alternative hip hop

Are people just loving with me or do they actually believe this? Not including MBDTF which will surely go #1, his albums have debuted #1,1,1, and 2 on the Billboard 200 chart. And the 5 years period before he began his solo career, he was the most sought-after producer in hip-hop not named The Neptunes. He's never been a symbol for "alternative hip hop," whatever that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Anyone know who is singing the last variation of the chorus on All of the Lights? It sounds like old-time black gospel singers and I love it.

Thrust On Moore
Jul 13, 2010

She keeps coming closer,
Saying "I can feel it in my bones.
Schizophrenia,
Is taking me home."
So has anyone noticed that Kanye hasn't updated his Twitter in the last six days, not to mention the absence of this week's Good Friday track? I realize the album is being officially released in a day, but you'd think he'd say one way or the other "Oh yeah, no free song this week." Instead he just seems to have up and died.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Brett824 posted:

Rome got Gidget is a reference to Gidget Goes To Rome, the other got Bridget is a reference to Bridget Jones. Rome and London are sister cities, and going from Rome to London is a 'trip'. Bridget and Gidget in the context of the song are both "sisters" (culturally (they're black)) and sisters, biologically.

This is some clever rear end wordplay I did not notice until this morning.

I thought Bridget Jones was White? Both the author writing her and the actress portraying her were white, and unless I just don't see it, the wiki says nothing about the character being black.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

bows1 posted:

I thought Bridget Jones was White? Both the author writing her and the actress portraying her were white, and unless I just don't see it, the wiki says nothing about the character being black.

Kanye is telling a story about him meeting two black sisters named Bridget and Gidget ("they black, they sisters.. their momma named them after white bitches"). It is paralleled by references to characters in fiction and two cities.

Thrust On Moore posted:

So has anyone noticed that Kanye hasn't updated his Twitter in the last six days, not to mention the absence of this week's Good Friday track? I realize the album is being officially released in a day, but you'd think he'd say one way or the other "Oh yeah, no free song this week." Instead he just seems to have up and died.

Big Sean tweeted that G.O.O.D. Friday is going to be late. I'm assuming Kanye is just super super busy. He doesn't even have a cell phone, so for him to tweet he needs to be at a computer.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Brett824 posted:

Kanye is telling a story about him meeting two black sisters named Bridget and Gidget ("they black, they sisters.. their momma named them after white bitches"). It is paralleled by references to characters in fiction and two cities.

Oh my mistake.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
"I don't need your pussy bitch, i'm on my own dick" is my favorite ego stroking line. I was impressed with Ross' appearances on the album. I've never been a fan of his as his flow has always come across as "fat dude who gets winded quickly."

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

the Bunt posted:

Anyone know who is singing the last variation of the chorus on All of the Lights? It sounds like old-time black gospel singers and I love it.

"I tried to tell you but all I can say . . ."? I don't have a source, but the general consensus is that it's Elton John.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

The Modern Leper posted:

"I tried to tell you but all I can say . . ."? I don't have a source, but the general consensus is that it's Elton John.

No, I recognized that part as Elton. I mean the bit right before the beat comes back in. It's a repetition of "turn up the lights in here baby..." hook but with different vocalists.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
The Joy is amazing but what the gently caress is with that weird grunting/groaning sample in the background throughout the whole song? Could do without it, haha.

KayJay748
Dec 8, 2006

Seven and a switchblade.
Chiming in with some more praise for this album, one of the best of the year for me. My favourite tracks are So Appalled, Dark Fantasy and Blame Game, which is probably my favourite Kanye song to date. One of the lines particularly stands out for me:

I heard he bought some coke with my money, that ain't right girl/
You getting blackmailed for that white girl/

I didn't know Kanye was capable of such wordplay, I'm guessing it might have been ghostwritten, top marks if it wasn't.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
Not sure on the ghostwriting status. He's getting really feisty with these deceptively "standard" sounding lyrics.
It feels like people are reeeally not wanting to give him props for his rhymes and I don't get it.

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?
Has Kanye said what he's saying during the distorted, autotuned part of Runaway? Rolling Stone called it a guitar solo, but I can distinctly hear him say "So let's have a toast" towards the end.

Bubble Bathory posted:

Not sure on the ghostwriting status. He's getting really feisty with these deceptively "standard" sounding lyrics.
It feels like people are reeeally not wanting to give him props for his rhymes and I don't get it.

I suspect Kanye had some ghostwritten lyrics as well. His flow and his rhymes are just so improved over his previous albums that it's not out of the question that he had someone come in and write (or at the very least coach) him.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

KayJay748 posted:

Chiming in with some more praise for this album, one of the best of the year for me. My favourite tracks are So Appalled, Dark Fantasy and Blame Game, which is probably my favourite Kanye song to date. One of the lines particularly stands out for me:

I heard he bought some coke with my money, that ain't right girl/
You getting blackmailed for that white girl/

I didn't know Kanye was capable of such wordplay, I'm guessing it might have been ghostwritten, top marks if it wasn't.

I don't see whats the great wordplay here, seems like a pretty standard line. I like it but I don't see what you mean

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

THAT'S THE JOKE.

HalPhilipWalker posted:

Has Kanye said what he's saying during the distorted, autotuned part of Runaway? Rolling Stone called it a guitar solo, but I can distinctly hear him say "So let's have a toast" towards the end.

I think he's just kind of vocalizing wordlessly and every now and then singing words from the chorus.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

bows1 posted:

I don't see whats the great wordplay here, seems like a pretty standard line. I like it but I don't see what you mean

I think the line is

You getting black male
For that white, girl

Meaning she's getting banged by another black dude. Sounds like blackmail but it's not, pretty clever

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
edit: im dum

TITY BOI fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 22, 2010

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As a guy who primarily listens to black metal and other ugly forms of music, this album is loving incredible. I can't get enough of it and in my humble opinion, Kanye is one of the only real artists left out there.

Runaway, Blame Game, All of the Lights are my standout tracks, perfection. Just as good as 808's.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

HalPhilipWalker posted:

Like Bubble Bathory said, I don't think it's supposed to matter. Whether the inability to decipher words is Kanye making meaningful, symbolic statement in the context of the song or as something that just sounds very cool (I haven't quite decided which one I think it is yet), it's one of the highlights of the album for me. The words start to become intelligible near the end of the song, but he's just repeating the chorus, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Album now out on Amazon, $4 for MP3 download here.

trigger9631 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 22, 2010

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

bows1 posted:

It also works because it's almost certainly a reference to his ex using money Kanye paid her as a confidentiality settlement. Like he's being blackmailed for her silence on his dirty secrets.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

nevermind

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

illcendiary posted:

I think the line is

You getting black male
For that white, girl

Meaning she's getting banged by another black dude. Sounds like blackmail but it's not, pretty clever

It's "blackmailed", but that word was chosen because it does also sound like "black maled" -- wordplay, you know? It's also how in the line "Too many Urkels on your team, that's why your wins low" refers to both losing and to Carl Winslow on Family Matters.

"White girl" is also slang for cocaine, referencing the coke in the previous line. Anything else?

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma
I really hope we don't need to explain slang in a thread about a rap album.

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?
And stuff like that^^ make me think Kanye had a ghostwriter. Did he have wordplay that clever on any previous albums?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Yes? He's got mad punchlines, he has a natural affinity for double meanings.

Kanye has been underrated as an MC for a long time, check him on All Falls Down, Get 'Em High, Spaceship, Diamonds from Sierra Leone, Touch the Sky, Back Like That Remix, Throw Some D's Remix... I mean I don't doubt he works with writers but he's clearly a clever dude.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
This album is ridiculous. Every song is fantastic but All of the Lights is gonna have to be my favorite. There's just so much going on in that song.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
So is this out in stores yet? I'm holding off on hearing it until I can get my hands on a physical copy and reading this thread is pretty hard now. I heard some people say Monday but a couple people in here reported picking it up, I don't know.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Dar...EVH9W0JZFYW70YE

4 bux on amazon

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

THAT'S THE JOKE.

HalPhilipWalker posted:

And stuff like that^^ make me think Kanye had a ghostwriter. Did he have wordplay that clever on any previous albums?

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Yes? He's got mad punchlines, he has a natural affinity for double meanings.

Seriously. Listen to College Dropout and Late Registration. Dude's raps are underrated as hell. He even goes out of his way to mention it a few times.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14880-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy/

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I understand Pitchfork is just one of many popular and influential music websites, but a 10.0 from them is unheard of. :golfclap: Kanye. Let's all have a toast to the douchebags.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma
I am confused by the people underrating his wordplay and lyricism. Do you just let his ridiculous persona cloud his music? Separate the two, leave all the shennanigans out of it and listen to his songs. He's always had witty lyrics, wordplay, double meanings, the whole thing. A thing I learned a long time ago, judge the music and the musician separately, it's how I can listen to so many "emo" bands. Just because they dress like girls doesn't mean they can't rock.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Superchunk posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

I understand Pitchfork is just one of many popular and influential music websites, but a 10.0 from them is unheard of. :golfclap: Kanye. Let's all have a toast to the douchebags.

The last album that got a 10.0 on it's initial release was Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, which came out eight years ago.

Goddamn.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

10? Open the :qq:-gates.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Superchunk posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

:lol: Wow.

I was joking with a friend that this would happen a week or so ago, but I didn't actually expect it to. Bravo.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Additionally, there is something way the gently caress wrong with the mixing or mastering or Amazon or something. The whole album sounds like 64kbps on $2 earbuds.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's "blackmailed", but that word was chosen because it does also sound like "black maled" -- wordplay, you know? It's also how in the line "Too many Urkels on your team, that's why your wins low" refers to both losing and to Carl Winslow on Family Matters.

"White girl" is also slang for cocaine, referencing the coke in the previous line. Anything else?

Bonye West posted:

I really hope we don't need to explain slang in a thread about a rap album.

I understood all of it. Just didn't seem like amazing wordplay, hes had better. Thats all

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Does anyone know where the background art for the G.O.O.D. Fridays tracks are coming from? They're killer.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Additionally, there is something way the gently caress wrong with the mixing or mastering or Amazon or something. The whole album sounds like 64kbps on $2 earbuds.

That's what happens when you have Vlado Meller master your album.

Monster:

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

theflyingexecutive posted:

10? Open the :qq:-gates.

This was just posted by a fellow manager at my radio station on Facebook. He's completely serious (but also a huge drama queen hah)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future
More than three years of anticipation finally culminates tomorrow morning. I can't believe it's finally here.

• Locked thread