Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I always saw her closer to this horrible horrible women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Julet Esqu posted:

When I was reading the books, I always imagined Umbridge as this lady:

Buc-ket residence, lady of the house speaking~

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Honestly, since watching A Very Potter Sequel, I can't see as Umbridge as anyone but this guy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Honestly, since watching A Very Potter Sequel, I can't see as Umbridge as anyone but this guy.

Did you get my text messaaaaage?

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

I still find it tragic that they wasted Pam Ferris on some throwaway role in Azkaban. I always thought she'd be a fine Umbridge.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Finished the 5th book and watched the 5th movie. They really did avoid using Dobby in the 4th and 5th movie. Shoehorned Neville in there to give Harry gillyweed and then got Neville to just magically walk by the Room of Requirement. I can't wait for Dobby's return in the movie! Well it'll be loving sad. I can't wait to see how Daniel Radcliffe approaches that scene..

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Holy shiiit thi is amazing!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So I'm in the middle of The Magicians as per recommendation by this thread.

Any other stuff? Did I miss a good book or a list when I skimmed the pages?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Biplane posted:

Holy shiiit thi is amazing!

A Very Potter Musical is really good and done by those same guys. It's the first play in their series, with AVPSequel being the second.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Hedrigall posted:

So my sister-in-law is a huge Harry Potter fan and I am pretty sure she would really like these. is there a publication with these covers, or are these posters or just images?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Those are some of the new softback covers for the UK editions, as I recall.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I think a better question to. Ask is if there are leather bound hardcovers. Are there?

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
I've got mine re-bound in House Elf skin.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

reflir posted:

I've got mine re-bound in House Elf skin.

Mudblood, real pure bloods like me use basilisk hide. You must be one of those weasleys with no money.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I have mine made from actual mudbloods. The pages are made from mudbloods, cover from blood traitors.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I have mine made from actual mudbloods. The pages are made from mudbloods, cover from blood traitors.

Wow, I like that. Very dark. I liked the look of the muggleskin set I saw at Borgin and Burkes, but the smell of them was repulsive.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Is that the edition written in goblin blood?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

geeves posted:

Is that the edition written in goblin blood?

Unicorn

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2step posted:

I still find it tragic that they wasted Pam Ferris on some throwaway role in Azkaban. I always thought she'd be a fine Umbridge.

I started reading the books after I saw Azkaban in theaters (I had seen Philosopher's, got told never to think about Harry Potter again because it was evil, said gently caress it when Azkaban came out, loved it, read the books) and when I finished reading Order, I said "drat that woman who played Trenchbull in Matilda would be loving great as Umbridge.

Then my friend pointed out she was in Azkaban as Marge. Boo.

I too also pictured Mrs. Bucket as the perfect Umbridge whilst reading. She dresses the part perfectly. Mind you Imelda Staunton pretty much embodied that bitch better than I could have dreamed. My sister got so mad at her when she saw Order in theaters, she started hissing.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Like others, starting a reread of the series after seeing the new movie. It did make me recall a train of thought I had on my last reading of the books regarding the Wizarding World.

Going from the movies and what was said in the books, it feels as if the Wizarding World's in a downward spiral of stagnation. Looking at Diagon Alley, it pretty much resembles London of the late 1800s. Dress styles are similar in period to some point and from what limited bits of a wizard interacting outside the wizarding community it goes beyond just an unfamiliarity and into something drastically alien.

I'd think in light of the need to keep up the premise of hiding from the muggles, there'd at least be some better knowledge of what's going on with some of the basic trends with the muggle world to make for a more convincing charade. Equally while not much was really gone into with muggle born wizards such as numbers or wider impressions beyond the Malfoy pov or the altered MoM, it seemed as if there was an unsaid push towards intermarriage within the community going from what was mentioned about family trees. There also seemed to be a unified 'dumbing down' of the basic intelligence that there wasn't much done towards critical thinking or innovation.

With that said, it would seem as if the Wizarding community would eventually go to something along the route of the Gaunt family, inbred and barely able to function without magic.

Going on that tangent, it's similar to the Darksword series I read years ago where the real wizards ended up pulling out completely to their own world and were stagnating into a dying culture that had to reintegrate for survival.

Last time I tried to bring this up in discussion elsewhere, it was as if I suggested bold heresies for even considering that there potentially could be something inherently off with the Wizarding World.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nah, that's a fairly common notion. Harry's world is very hard to justify past the 1700s or so considering they routinely take muggle-born students. Even then it's sketchy at best.

By the 1990s, where HP seems to be set, even gun shy England would see muggle students saying "what the gently caress, give me a cell phone and a G36 and I could single-handedly own this entire community, let alone Voldemort."

The wizarding world, especially the ministry supposedly tasked with interfacing with muggles should have been making GBS threads their pants over the several hundred per minute Avada-kevadra spitting machines that anyone from Dumbledore to Dobby can operate past, oh, the 1860s.

But we're well into sperg territory at that point.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

Last time I tried to bring this up in discussion elsewhere, it was as if I suggested bold heresies for even considering that there potentially could be something inherently off with the Wizarding World.

I think it's this thread that I posted in or it could have been one of refiler's but I've sort of had the same thoughts you have.

I think Rowling either intentionally or unintentionally has mirrored the decline of Britain or Western society in her books. Especially with things like the reliance of standardized testing in education and how bureaucracy is the worst thing ever. You had a lot of thinly veiled criticism at anti-terror legislation as well.

I do think it's a huge flaw that Rowling made muggles so retarded in the eyes of the wizarding community. It's pretty shocking how quickly muggle born wizards are indoctrinated in that view point as well.

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009
I think the wizard community is pretty inbred and barely able to function already. Do they even have paper money?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Does that really matter when they probably have purses that can teleport money from their vaults or like that bag Hermione made in the last book?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Starting from book 5 onward Harry Potter novels always came out on my birthday :unsmith: I'd always burn through them during the day. I read through 7 in a day, but seriously need to re read it before seeing the movie.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thebardyspoon posted:

Does that really matter when they probably have purses that can teleport money from their vaults or like that bag Hermione made in the last book?

Then why have an elaborate central bank in the first place?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Well, either other option would be like carrying a debit card with no pin. And wizards in the HP world are probably too stupid to add further security measures. I mean, when 3 late teens who are middling at best at magic can waltz into what is effectively the vice president's office, security is not a high science.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

It wasn't so much a failure of security as much as it was another failure to acknowledge that How-To magical books are too dangerous to just leave in a library where young children can get to them. The entire series is a result of Voldemort getting to the "How To Murder People And Split Your Soul Up (must be at least 13 years old)" book in the library.

So when three late teens are able to make Polyjuice Potion with ease and impersonate a Ministry official, that's a blatant example of the main problem in the magical world. The plebes know too much.

Speeeerrrrrgggggggggg

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

IRQ posted:

Nah, that's a fairly common notion. Harry's world is very hard to justify past the 1700s or so considering they routinely take muggle-born students. Even then it's sketchy at best.

By the 1990s, where HP seems to be set, even gun shy England would see muggle students saying "what the gently caress, give me a cell phone and a G36 and I could single-handedly own this entire community, let alone Voldemort."

The wizarding world, especially the ministry supposedly tasked with interfacing with muggles should have been making GBS threads their pants over the several hundred per minute Avada-kevadra spitting machines that anyone from Dumbledore to Dobby can operate past, oh, the 1860s.

You muggles and your guns.

Accio G36. :smug:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

bitterandtwisted posted:

You muggles and your guns.

Accio G36. :smug:

Accio Voldemort's brain. Boom. Danger over.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

IRQ posted:

The situation regarding the Wizarding World in Harry Potter actually inspired me to start work on a fantasy novel that shows what would happen if a secret magical society continued down that route. Eventually, the masquerade cannot be maintained, and when the magical world is finally revealed to the rest of us, all Hell breaks loose.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

THE HORSES rear end posted:

The situation regarding the Wizarding World in Harry Potter actually inspired me to start work on a fantasy novel that shows what would happen if a secret magical society continued down that route. Eventually, the masquerade cannot be maintained, and when the magical world is finally revealed to the rest of us, all Hell breaks loose.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is too huge a nerd to get over that.

Anyway are we talking about the new movie in here? It was about half an hour too long, other than that no real complaints other than one moment that kind of came out of nowhere.

I really don't think it should have been split into two movies either. Has any reason for that been given beyond "we like money"?

Willy Loman
Sep 29, 2010

Edit: what, ok

Willy Loman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 24, 2010

SagatPunisherFanFic
Apr 16, 2009
Is the salvation war the collection of forum posts that people think is a novel?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That also sounds nothing like what The Horses' rear end posted.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I just finished the whole series for the first time and it was absolutely worth it. I grew up on Lord of the Rings and nothing will surpass that for me, but I can see how this became a modern classic for young adults. Rowling captured a lot of the themes that made Tolkien's work resonate so well with an earlier generation.

And yet, one thing kind of bothered me about one of the last chapters in Hallows. Snape's death didn't really sit right by me, and I went back to reread it. I guess I wanted to see a more dramatic redemption, or at least some fleeting moment of happiness for the guy. I also didn't really get why he wanted to look Harry in the eyes so badly as he was dying and then... Oh. :( Nicely done, Rowling.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

IRQ posted:

I really don't think it should have been split into two movies either. Has any reason for that been given beyond "we like money"?

It would have been rushed if all of it was pressed in 2.5h, the result probably pretty similar to the incomprehensible, jumbled mess that was The Goblet of Fire and The Order of the Phoenix (despite some really great scenes, they didn't work well as movies). It might have been 30 min to long (although unlike the book I didn't find the camping trip boring, and the feeling of despair/aimlessness was far better conveyed in the movie), but adding the Gringotts' heist and the Battle of Hogwarts into it would have made in probably 2h too short. Even so they left out nearly all of Dumbledore's backstory and probably will do the same with Snape's.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

IRQ posted:

Anyway are we talking about the new movie in here?

I thought it was alright. There were some minor deviations from the book I didn't like, but that was made up for by the CGI team nailing the Ron-vs-horcrux scene loving perfectly. It played out exactly like I imagined it. I was especially impressed by horcrux-Harry and horcrux-Hermione actually being "both more terrible and more beautiful" than the real Harry & Hermione, just as they are described in the book.

edit:

quote:

(although unlike the book I didn't find the camping trip boring, and the feeling of despair/aimlessness was far better conveyed in the movie)

I'm of the exact opposite opinion. In the book it felt well done, in the movie it felt contrived in a "oh look they are not so subtly signalling Ron is drawing conclusions based on soap opera logic" sort of way.

reflir fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 22, 2010

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
Overall I liked the movie but yea, I hated the camping scene stuff. But that's probably hold over from my dislike of the camping trip in the book.

The scene in the beginning, with Hermionie Obliviating her parents, was much more powerful than I remember it being in the book. I looked over the text again and I realized that wasn't a scene in the book at all, she merely describes it in conversation. Its been a while since I've read the series, but were there other bits like that in the movies? Where they showed us even on-screen that were only implied by the text.

Normally I'm not a huge fan of book-to-screen conversions (book snob) but I could get behind that kind of movie making, if they treat the movie as a supplement rather than a retelling. I guess that wouldn't fly for most stuff, but for Harry Potter, I'd imagine everyone going to see the movie has read the novels by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

reflir posted:

I thought it was alright. There were some minor deviations from the book I didn't like, but that was made up for by the CGI team nailing the Ron-vs-horcrux scene loving perfectly. It played out exactly like I imagined it. I was especially impressed by horcrux-Harry and horcrux-Hermione actually being "both more terrible and more beautiful" than the real Harry & Hermione, just as they are described in the book.
It's odd that you mention that phrase, because it looked just like Galadriel from the Lord of the Rings when she is tempted by the ring and says the exact same thing; "...And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night!"

Sivlan posted:

Normally I'm not a huge fan of book-to-screen conversions (book snob) but I could get behind that kind of movie making, if they treat the movie as a supplement rather than a retelling. I guess that wouldn't fly for most stuff, but for Harry Potter, I'd imagine everyone going to see the movie has read the novels by now.
I agree. This is the first movie I've watched all the way through, and I enjoyed the entire trip. The things they changed might not have been to my preference, but they were understandable and usually by necessity, either to avoid unnecessary complexity or so the actual actors had any screentime at all. The locket scene was not at all what I had imagined in terms of size, but it fit perfectly and genuinely thrilled me with a sense of terror.

• Locked thread