Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

IMJack posted:

We've seen Haley's dad, when he was younger: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0608.html

I don't see Haley's dad in it?

edit: There he is. drat my eyes suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Alternatively, Tarquin lied about being on bad terms with Nale and part of the surprise is seeing what's left of the Linear Guild swoop into the room on rocket skates.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Well, Tarquin had asked Elan if he had defeated any Villains to which he responded "not really" Im guessing that he would be more proud of being the first Villain his son defeats than being the clandestine ruler of a continent.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love this comic and everything about it.

Yes that includes the boring setup episodes because usually they set up things like this.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Hahaha, oh God. While I think Order of the Stick is a funny webcomic it has actually been quite some time since it actually made me laugh at it like this strip did.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Because I enjoy living up to my user name can anyone link the comic referred to in the second last panel? TIA.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0747.html

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh my god that is amazing.

Synchronized rebel burning. This owns.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I always figured Darth Vader could use a more classy personality trait, like an appreciation for art. Tarquin delivers.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

God drat Burlow is hitting this out of the park.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Those last three panels are amazing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
What's really amazing is how utterly Tarquin has undone all the good Haley and V did today, and he did it without any effort whatsoever and his only motive was to make a nice surprise for his son. That's a villain.

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Karma is often harder on the woman, etc.

DrakePegasus posted:

I always figured Darth Vader could use a more classy personality trait, like an appreciation for art. Tarquin delivers.

Then he'd be Thrawn, if you added some competence and strategic thinking.

But seriously, looking at the face of Elan as he enters "horrified realization" mode is... spectacular. You can compare the mouth to your average Buckley mouth, and know that Burlew can pretty much turn lead into gold, artistically.

Oh, Tarquin. You have raised the bar for all us writers.

EDIT: I should also add: what the hell is Tarquin supposed to sound like? I imagine Michael Ironside as a counterpart to a young, peppy Elan, but then you read some of Tarquin's more Elany dialogue and it doesn't work. Yet I imagine his more formal, villainous dialogue in that voice exactly. It's most confusing.

trevalyan fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 20, 2010

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

trevalyan posted:

EDIT: I should also add: what the hell is Tarquin supposed to sound like? I imagine Michael Ironside as a counterpart to a young, peppy Elan, but then you read some of Tarquin's more Elany dialogue and it doesn't work. Yet I imagine his more formal, villainous dialogue in that voice exactly. It's most confusing.

Harry Groener from when he played Mayor Wilkins in Buffy works pretty well.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sefer posted:

Harry Groener from when he played Mayor Wilkins in Buffy works pretty well.

That's pretty much exactly how I heard him in my head. Richard Wilkins is the perfect archetype of the congenial villain.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I just imagine Tarquin sounding friendly and excited about being evil, except when he's doing drama stuff.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm thinking he sounds something like James Woods, as Hades.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jeremy Irons.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Danny Kaye. An evil Danny Kaye.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I can't help but hear Hank Scorpio when Tarquin is speaking.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Tarquin is pretty on the ball, I don't see how he could think Elan would react anything but poorly to that little nugget of info.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Coolio posted:

Tarquin is pretty on the ball, I don't see how he could think Elan would react anything but poorly to that little nugget of info.

He probably wants Elan to oppose him, because it's dramatic!

Melche
Apr 29, 2009
Yeah, his plan to quietly rule until he died of old age didn't really sound suitably dramatic. And then he announced that everything he does is for Elan now, before basically forcing him to realise he's evil. So I guess he got bored of ruling and decided he'd rather set Elan up for an awesome dramatic heroic overthrow.

Of course he's Tarquin, so he probably doesn't need to get killed out of it. Elan will probably throw him of a cliff, then not check to see if he's dead because no one could possibly survive that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Melche posted:

Of course he's Tarquin, so he probably doesn't need to get killed out of it. Elan will probably throw him of a cliff, then not check to see if he's dead because no one could possibly survive that.
That scene works perfectly in my mind but replace 'throw off cliff' with 'the empress of blood falls on him'

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

That scene works perfectly in my mind but replace 'throw off cliff' with 'the empress of blood falls on him'

Chekovs gigantic bloated dragon, classic plot device.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tarquin is just so happy about this. Look at that last fuckin' panel.

Why must the villains in this strip be more entertaining than the heroes*? Xykon is hilarious, evil V was a thousand times more fun than normal V, Redcloak owns, and now Tarquin is this jolly happy-go-lucky ruthless dictator. He's like Santa, if Santa were also Hitler, dishing out horrible death and presents all in one go.

*Except O-Chul. O-Chul is the best.

Bow2Gaijin
Mar 15, 2006

Gaijin Smash!
The only thing that could make this better is if a surprise thunderstorm springs up during their fight.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Bow2Gaijin posted:

The only thing that could make this better is if a surprise thunderstorm springs up during their fight.

That's be pretty epic in a desert rooftop battle.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Wouldn't raining blood be more apropos?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Split the difference with something climate appropriate: massive, freak sandstorm.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ConfusedUs posted:

Why must the villains in this strip be more entertaining than the heroes*?
General rule of fiction. Villains are proactive, heroes are reactive.

Interesting thought experiment: What would you do if you ran into a Tarquin in a campaign you were playing in? Elan's solution is the most obvious, but I don't think it's the best. The desert lands system of constant parades of brutal dictators killing each other existed long before he got there, after all. In his incredibly evil way, he's actually improving things by getting rid of it. What good are you doing by taking him out and letting the old ways of unending slaughter back in? Plus, he's promised the empire to you, and you're a good guy. Accept the short-term evil as the price for ending a larger one, and when your father hands over a desert-wide empire to you, work at turning into a benevolent one. In other words: walk the gently caress away and let Tarquin have his win, it's the most good you can possibly do.

Plus? Dude scares the poo poo out of me, I wouldn't wanna fight him.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Cabbit posted:

Split the difference with something climate appropriate: massive, freak sandstorm.

Of blood.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bow2Gaijin posted:

Tarquin is clearly going to send for some wizards/clerics to provide one.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
They do have thunderstorms in the desert. It's like no one here as been to the Southwest, I guess.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Cabbit posted:

crime fighting hog posted:

Of blood.

There's a sandstorm-like spell that sucks blood from people in it. Would that work?

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Karma is often harder on the woman, etc.

ConfusedUs posted:

He's like Santa, if Santa were also Hitler, dishing out horrible death and presents all in one go.

Also known as the "Saddam Hussein Memorial College of Governing." But this is a fantastic summation.

Elan, it's only very recently that you've become remotely competent. I'm sure you remember (or not) that Luke fought Vader the first time, and Vader handed the kid his own rear end through sheer brute force. Tarquin casually extracted a fairly important bit of information from you without even trying (Vaarsuvius has Conjuration as a barred school), whomped a three person party pretty much by himself, and you think you're going to win?

Good luck, boyo.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Challenging Tarquin isn't smart, it's dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Challenging Tarquin isn't smart, it's dramatic.
And as such his prestige class probably gives him huge bonuses in this situation.