Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

trevalyan posted:

Also known as the "Saddam Hussein Memorial College of Governing." But this is a fantastic summation.

Elan, it's only very recently that you've become remotely competent. I'm sure you remember (or not) that Luke fought Vader the first time, and Vader handed the kid his own rear end through sheer brute force. Tarquin casually extracted a fairly important bit of information from you without even trying (Vaarsuvius has Conjuration as a barred school), whomped a three person party pretty much by himself, and you think you're going to win?

Good luck, boyo.

Except V has cast spells from Conjuration before. I believe the (Intrusive) Black Tentacles are Conjuration, at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Taerkar posted:

Except V has cast spells from Conjuration before. I believe the (Intrusive) Black Tentacles are Conjuration, at the very least.

Yeah, not being able to cast it could mean either barred school or just doesn't happen to have the spell at hand.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, not being able to cast it could mean either barred school or just doesn't happen to have the spell at hand.

We know he can't cast teleportation at all. By now the party would have all chipped in to get him that spell if for no other reason than they need it. One of the strips he brings it up, I think it was during the Paladin's arc that a rules change had moved it from Universal to Conjuration so he lost out on ever learning it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

seaborgium posted:

We know he can't cast teleportation at all. By now the party would have all chipped in to get him that spell if for no other reason than they need it. One of the strips he brings it up, I think it was during the Paladin's arc that a rules change had moved it from Universal to Conjuration so he lost out on ever learning it.

Doink
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Taerkar posted:

That was Burlew bending the rules for the sake of a joke (well, technically we don't know what school that spell was from, but...)

I actually worked out his barred schools one bored afternoon a few months back; we've seen him cast core spells from every school except conjuration and necromancy.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

trevalyan posted:

Also known as the "Saddam Hussein Memorial College of Governing." But this is a fantastic summation.

Elan, it's only very recently that you've become remotely competent. I'm sure you remember (or not) that Luke fought Vader the first time, and Vader handed the kid his own rear end through sheer brute force. Tarquin casually extracted a fairly important bit of information from you without even trying (Vaarsuvius has Conjuration as a barred school), whomped a three person party pretty much by himself, and you think you're going to win?

Good luck, boyo.

It's also entirely possibly that Tarquin is just going to throw the fight in order to preserve the cycle his crew have set up.

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Karma is often harder on the woman, etc.

Calico Noose posted:

It's also entirely possibly that Tarquin is just going to throw the fight in order to preserve the cycle his crew have set up.

Oooh. You're right... but I don't think Elan has any interest in participating in the con now that he's aware how it works, even if he is asked to just perpetuate it. Maybe he'd do it in exchange for breaking Ian Starshine out of prison- but it's entirely possible the Order could do that anyways. Again, though, dramatics.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out. Shojo thought he had all the angles covered as well, but look what happened to him- and Azure City. Think Tarquin knows about that?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CapnAndy posted:

General rule of fiction. Villains are proactive, heroes are reactive.

Interesting thought experiment: What would you do if you ran into a Tarquin in a campaign you were playing in?

Thought about it? I ran this like four years ago, here on these very forums over in Traditional Games. The party ended up splitting straight down the middle. I had to make a new thread for the other half of the existing group and bring in a couple new players to fill out both sides.

Then I threw them all into a three-way brawl between themselves and the big bad guy. The game ended when the nihilistic assassin, using the magic MacGuffin, death attacked reality itself during the climactic showdown, having come to the conclusion that no one was right.

It was quite badass, really.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ConfusedUs posted:

Thought about it? I ran this like four years ago, here on these very forums over in Traditional Games. The party ended up splitting straight down the middle. I had to make a new thread for the other half of the existing group and bring in a couple new players to fill out both sides.

Then I threw them all into a three-way brawl between themselves and the big bad guy. The game ended when the nihilistic assassin, using the magic MacGuffin, death attacked reality itself during the climactic showdown, having come to the conclusion that no one was right.

It was quite badass, really.

Was that the Mario Brothers game?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

seaborgium posted:

Was that the Mario Brothers game?

Yes. Yes it was.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
In fact the Warhammer rpg had an entire sourcebook devoted to an area of land made up of nothing but tin pot dictators that were assassinated and replaced every few months.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Gassire posted:

In fact the Warhammer rpg had an entire sourcebook devoted to an area of land made up of nothing but tin pot dictators that were assassinated and replaced every few months.

South America?

:rimshot:

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

My Lovely Horse posted:

This comic has the greatest metaphor ever. Never has the "can't make an omlette without breaking some eggs" been better said.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Gassire posted:

The Forgotten Realms has an area like this, too, called the Steam Lakes or something like that in south central Faerun.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

trevalyan posted:

Oooh. You're right... but I don't think Elan has any interest in participating in the con now that he's aware how it works, even if he is asked to just perpetuate it. Maybe he'd do it in exchange for breaking Ian Starshine out of prison- but it's entirely possible the Order could do that anyways. Again, though, dramatics.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out. Shojo thought he had all the angles covered as well, but look what happened to him- and Azure City. Think Tarquin knows about that?

It's not a question of does Elan want to be part of it. It's the general populace showing up cheering and waving flags, overjoyed you'd overthrown the dictator and lead them to freedom, then what do you do with them.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

crime fighting hog posted:

The Forgotten Realms has an area like this, too, called the Steam Lakes or something like that in south central Faerun.

it would.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Calico Noose posted:

It's not a question of does Elan want to be part of it. It's the general populace showing up cheering and waving flags, overjoyed you'd overthrown the dictator and lead them to freedom, then what do you do with them.
More to the point, what do you do with every other country in the desert, who is going to see a big, fat, tempting target? Because with no Tarquin, they're gonna attack. You planning on finding another gate ever or do you intend to stick around and play King until someone gets lucky and bloodily conquers you? Tarquin's an evil, horrifying son of a bitch. But he's still the best choice.

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

More to the point, what do you do with every other country in the desert, who is going to see a big, fat, tempting target? Because with no Tarquin, they're gonna attack. You planning on finding another gate ever or do you intend to stick around and play King until someone gets lucky and bloodily conquers you? Tarquin's an evil, horrifying son of a bitch. But he's still the best choice.

Most people- probably including other countries- think it's the huge dragon that rules the Empire of Blood. The other federations are secretly controlled by Tarquin cronies, so it's not like they'd necessarily be interested in working with his goody-twoshoes son. This is not a nice area, and it has less than nice people in it. I agree Tarquin is the best option- the system can and will fall apart without him.

Elan might have enough sense to realize this when he's told directly, and I think he's even less likely to want to kill his dad. The smoothest option for him would be to kill the dragon, population huzzahs, and he convinces his dad to put a more responsible puppet on the throne.

Of course, Lord Tyrinar the Responsible had a half-life of about 20 minutes. So there's that.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Zereth posted:

And as such his prestige class probably gives him huge bonuses in this situation.

"Ok...so, I get...what? +2 for rooftop duel, +4 for it being against an evil family member, +1 for recent betrayal...oh, and +2d6 damage per round if there's an ominous thunderstorm...Does Durkon have Control Weather prepared today?"

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
:siren: NEW STRIP :siren:

Looks like Elan and Tarquin share more than just roguish good looks!

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Oh god so many terrible puns :gonk:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Was I the only one waiting for a Monkey Island quote?

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

It wouldn't have fit very well because they weren't really insulting each other.

That is, inasmuch as call-and-response swordfighting isn't a broad Monkey Island reference in pop culture.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, Princess Bride too.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 24, 2010

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh god, another Dashing Swordsman.

And this one probably wasn't inept beforehand.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Pope Guilty posted:

I think the author has actually said he'd never heard of Monkey Island.

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

navyjack posted:

"Ok...so, I get...what? +2 for rooftop duel, +4 for it being against an evil family member, +1 for recent betrayal...oh, and +2d6 damage per round if there's an ominous thunderstorm...Does Durkon have Control Weather prepared today?"

"Don't forget your Climatic Duel dodge bonus, son."

"Thanks, Dad! Wait... how do you know what bonuses I should apply for this fight?"

"I have the same prestige class, son. In fact, I have more levels in it than you."

"... gently caress."

Melche
Apr 29, 2009
"The etymologies are unrelated" is the most badass fight-ending one liner.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

See, this is just making me want a Xykon/Tarquin showdown more and more.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ashenai posted:

Oh god so many terrible puns :gonk:

The title of the strip is "Advanced (S)wordplay"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I have nothing to say about this strip other than poo poo am I grinning.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Cabbit posted:

See, this is just making me want a Xykon/Tarquin showdown more and more.

That would make me so happy.

Tertiary Stresses
Jul 27, 2007
Is Tarquin so good that he's actually fending of Elan while dropping puns just for the fun of it? After all, he did disarm Elan in the last panel without any wordplay.

Also, in my mind Tarquin will join the party and replace the soon to be deceased Belkar. It will happen through a dramatic fight ala Dragon Age and Loghain.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well Tarquin isn't a bard so without DS bonuses he's a much better swordsman anyway. So I'm not really sure either. Uhh, he isn't a bard, right? Even though he does do all of Elan's trope stuff too.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
He's not a bard, but I imagine his villain prc has dramatic flair bonuses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tertiary Stresses posted:

Is Tarquin so good that he's actually fending of Elan while dropping puns just for the fun of it? After all, he did disarm Elan in the last panel without any wordplay.

I think he surprised Elan there. He lowered his sword for a moment and Tarquin used the chance to disarm him, as opposed to actually disarming him through combat.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Tertiary Stresses posted:

Melche posted:

"The etymologies are unrelated" is the most badass fight-ending one liner.

That may not be a pun, but "unrelated" is definitely a play on words.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

navyjack posted:

That may not be a pun, but "unrelated" is definitely a play on words.

drat. I can't believe I didn't get that one.

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I think he surprised Elan there. He lowered his sword for a moment and Tarquin used the chance to disarm him, as opposed to actually disarming him through combat.

Or, in DnD terms, he Feinted.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
at least a couple more slaves went out :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

I'm more than ok with this resolution.