Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

penismightier posted:

So is the Eyes Wide Shut Blu worth buying, or should I hold out for a better release down the line?

Yes, it's one of the best examples of a soft, grainy film being left as-is on Blu-Ray. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews33/eyes_wide_shut_HD_Blu-ray.htm

The extras are surprisingly lackluster, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Bambi posted:

Alien Anthology + Last of the Mohicans $65.48 (scroll down to "Best Value")

God dammit... can't afford... must resist... ordered. :(

Hope I don't get the Alien set for Christmas now.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

Yes, it's one of the best examples of a soft, grainy film being left as-is on Blu-Ray.

Which, naturally, people bitched about. The current Blu is good but I could see it getting a significant upgrade. I'd love to get a commentary track, though it'd be hard to beat Garrett Brown's on The Shining.

Groan Zone
Nov 21, 2004

chug-a-lug, donna

Egbert Souse posted:

Yes, it's one of the best examples of a soft, grainy film being left as-is on Blu-Ray. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews33/eyes_wide_shut_HD_Blu-ray.htm

The extras are surprisingly lackluster, though.

That's not surprising at all actually. Like with most Kubrick releases.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Wow, getting the Austin Powers trilogy for $9.72 just made my day!

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Any word on a TRON Blu-Ray release? I would have loved to rewatch the original with my girlfriend before seeing the new one.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

SpaceAceJase posted:

Any word on a TRON Blu-Ray release? I would have loved to rewatch the original with my girlfriend before seeing the new one.

Disney is completely ignoring the existence of the original TRON until after Legacy makes them money. They showed it at one of their parks, and people were laughing at it. So they're afraid that it will make people not want to see the new movie.

I read somewhere that they do have a new HD transfer for it, but it won't be out until 2011.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
*sigh* Sad, but understandable.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop (Zhang Yimou's remake of Blood Simple) is coming Feb. 1 courtesy of Sony.
Welcome to the Rileys will be released the same day.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon is having a massive sale on a ton of Blu-Rays

This links to everything under $10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...creative=390957

Highlights include:
Lord Of The Rings for $7.99 each
Showgirls - $7.99
Lonesome Dove - $7.99
I Am Legend - $7.99
2 Futurama movies - $7.99-8.49 each
The Mist - $7.99
I Am Legend - $7.99
Time Bandits - $5.99
Slumdog Millionaire - $8.49
1408 - $7.99
The Wrestler - $7.99
Withnail And I - $5.99
Fanboys - $7.99
Fargo - $8.49
Various standup comedy specials - $5.99
Hot Tub Time Machine - $10

Also Dr. Strangelove for $11.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DJLCPE?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001DJLCPE

Dollhouse Season 1 for $13.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024FAR6G?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0024FAR6G

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I guess at $6 it might be a non-issue but wasn't the Time Bandits disc a disappointment

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Sporadic posted:

Amazon is having a massive sale on a ton of Blu-Rays

I spent too much. But $8 each for the Lord of the Rings movies was too good to pass up. And the completionist in me needed those Futurama movies. And and and. I basically had to pull myself away or would have gotten probably 12 or so instead of the 8 I got.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Captain Charisma posted:

I guess at $6 it might be a non-issue but wasn't the Time Bandits disc a disappointment
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Time-Bandits-Blu-ray/11283/

"Disappointingly, Time Bandits makes its U.S. debut on Blu-ray with an interlaced 1080i/AVC- encoded transfer that looks as though it may have been recycled from some HDTV broadcast master. (Although I can't say for sure.) If you have a large screen and/or you look closely, you'll definitely notice frequent macroblocking in the backgrounds and you'll spot a good deal of compression noise and other artifacts throughout. The print also features a moderate amount of flecks and scratches. Despite these problems, though, Time Bandits looks okay, and may even be the most subjectively eye-pleasing of the four HandMade titles that Image is releasing on the 24th, if only because the film had a bigger budget than Mona Lisa, The Long Good Friday, or Withnail and I. The transfer is persistently soft, but there's a clear upgrade from prior DVD editions and fine detail borders on better than merely acceptable at times. Color too sees an improvement, with a more balanced look overall, strong primaries, and even-keeled skin tones. Black levels, however, are a bit hazy and inconsistent. The film was released on Blu-ray by Optimum in U.K., and while I haven't personally seen that version, it features a much higher bit-rate, for what it's worth, is in 1080p, and sits on a dual-layer disc. A pity Image Entertainment couldn't have procured that transfer for the U.S. release."

But hey, it's $6

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
# Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) [Blu-ray] - Orlando Bloom
$8.49
# Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World [Blu-ray] - Russell Crowe
$7.99
# Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix [Blu-ray] - Daniel Radcliffe
$10.00
# Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince [Blu-ray] - Daniel Radcliffe
$10.00
# Deadwood: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] - Timothy Olyphant
$137.99
# The Wrestler [Blu-ray] - Mickey Rourke
$7.99
# Batman [Blu-ray] - Michael Keaton
$9.99
# Batman Returns [Blu-ray] - Michael Keaton
$9.99
# The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring [Blu-ray] - Elijah Wood
$7.99
# The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King [Blu-ray] - Elijah Wood
$7.99
# The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers [Blu-ray] - Elijah Wood

Going to be a solid few weeks.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

grabbed:

Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
Return of the King
She's Out Of My League
The Hangover
Hot Tub Time Machine
Black Dynamite
Fanboys
Kick-rear end
Watchmen

Black Friday owns

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The LotR Blu-rays aren't the EE versions though, right?

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

Nate RFB posted:

Right, they're the theatrical cuts. All three movies for the likely price of one EE is fairly tempting, though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

True. But who knows when we'll get the EEs

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got:

Slumdog Millionaire
Fargo
Princess Bride

Mostly because two of those I haven't seen yet, and the third I've only ever owned on VHS.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

FirstCongoWar posted:

Right, they're the theatrical cuts. All three movies for the likely price of one EE is fairly tempting, though.

Yeah... I was holding out for the EEs too. But honestly, for 7.99 a pop, there's really no reason not to pick them up (Especially ROTK and TTT which I felt were fine in their original form. FOTR is admittedly much better as an extended cut.)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

GonSmithe posted:

I read somewhere that they do have a new HD transfer for it, but it won't be out until 2011.

It'll probably come out with the Tron Legacy Blu-Ray.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

sportsgenius86 posted:

True. But who knows when we'll get the EEs

From what I've read, the rumors are that the EE's are planned to be released when the Hobbit comes out in 2012. That was far away enough for me to jump in on this deal now.

Also, the Return of the King comes with a free video on demand rental of the movie. Not sure why I would watch a streaming version of the movie rather than just wait for the blu-ray one to come in the mail though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Guys, guys! HD Moods: Aquarium 2.0 is on sale for $8.50 at amazon!

edit: The Day the Earth Stopped for $6!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Amazon UK has Harry Potter movies (1-6) out for just 25 GBP (40 dollars vs. 70 dollars in Amazon US) and they're region free. Any thoughts on whether Amazon US will slash prices this low on the collection during Thanksgivings?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harry-Potter-Collection-Years-Blu-ray/dp/B002MPP9JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290460741&sr=8-1

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Amazon UK has Harry Potter movies (1-6) out for just 25 GBP (40 dollars vs. 70 dollars in Amazon US) and they're region free. Any thoughts on whether Amazon US will slash prices this low on the collection during Thanksgivings?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harry-Potter-Collection-Years-Blu-ray/dp/B002MPP9JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290460741&sr=8-1
The Harry Potter collection was just $49.99 US last week. They might lower it again, but who knows.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It's going to be $39.99 at Amazon.com tomorrow as part of their week-long Black Friday promotion.

Proof

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

doctor thodt posted:

It's going to be $39.99 at Amazon.com tomorrow as part of their week-long Black Friday promotion.

Proof

You are going to buy it even though you have the ultimate editions already aren't you?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Heck no, what would be the point of that? In fact I sold off my individual copies of the first four after getting the Ultimate Editions.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have never seen any of the Harry Potter movies nor read the books.

At $40, will I be at all disappointed in buying the set tomorrow?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

doctor thodt posted:

Heck no, what would be the point of that? In fact I sold off my individual copies of the first four after getting the Ultimate Editions.

Because you have some crazy desire to own every blu-ray in existence.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

sportsgenius86 posted:

They're not that great. Save yourself the money.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

sportsgenius86 posted:

They're decent movies and definitely worth the price

Edit: :argh: ^^^^

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sportsgenius86 posted:

On the whole, it's a rich and rewarding film series. The first two are kiddie bullshit, but worth owning just for completion's sake. The third, fifth and sixth films are marvelous (and quite sumptuous on Blu-Ray in terms of audio/video/supplements). I would recommend the Ultimate Editions over the regular version nine times out of ten, but since you're completely uninitiated with the series and it's a lot cheaper/more convenient to buy the box set, this would be the one time out of ten where it's okay. $6.66 per movie is a drat good deal, too.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because you have some crazy desire to own every blu-ray in existence.

Yeah....no.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

On the whole, it's a rich and rewarding film series. The first two are kiddie bullshit, but worth owning just for completion's sake. The third, fifth and sixth films are marvelous (and quite sumptuous on Blu-Ray in terms of audio/video/supplements). I would recommend the Ultimate Editions over the regular version nine times out of ten, but since you're completely uninitiated with the series and it's a lot cheaper/more convenient to buy the box set, this would be the one time out of ten where it's okay. $6.66 per movie is a drat good deal, too.

thank you!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. I've always wanted to watch them so I figure I'll get this and watch them and if I end up loving them, I can turn this set around in a couple months for at least what I'm paying for it and pick up the Ultimate Editions.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
How much do the ultimate edations have compared to the chest set that came out with OotP?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Freddy posted:

How much do the ultimate edations have compared to the chest set that came out with OotP?

Aside from the physical extras (a hardcover book and some collectible character cards), each Ultimate Edition contains one segment of an eight-hour, extremely well-produced documentary:

Part 1: The Magic Begins
Part 2: Characters
Part 3: Magical Creatures
Part 4: The Music of Harry Potter
Part 5: The Evolution of Harry Potter
Part 6: Special Effects
Part 7: Growing Up Potter
Part 8: The Harry Potter Phenomenon

The first two UE's also contain extended cuts, picture-in-picture commentaries, and new DTS-HD audio tracks that aren't on the regular editions. The fourth one also has an awesome P-i-P track that was on the HD-DVD, but not the regular Blu-Ray.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Bought a bunch of region-free movies off Amazon:

Terminator
Terminator 2
Ocean's Trilogy
Ghostbusters
Watchmen
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Vicky Christina Barcelona

Total €83,26

A local store also has Kick rear end for €12 and Jackie Brown for €8, going to buy these sometime this week.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Expendables reviewed
Videodrome reviewed

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Does anyone use Blockbuster online having previously used Netflix? How do they compare for blu-ray? I'm getting sick and loving tired of Netflix jacking their prices up and failing to deliver content. It's bad enough my 3 disc unlimited plan costs me over 20 bucks to have the option for blu-ray rentals on it, but between that going up another 3 dollars to subsidize the streaming-only subscriptions and the fact they've pretty much stopped stocking any new catalog titles on blu-ray (such as Alien Anthology, Back to the Future, Metropolis, Psycho, and others high profile titles that aren't considered "new releases") I've absolutely had it. Is switching to Blockbuster a good idea, or am I going to find similar selection and prices there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

doctor thodt posted:

Aside from the physical extras (a hardcover book and some collectible character cards), each Ultimate Edition contains one segment of an eight-hour, extremely well-produced documentary:

Part 1: The Magic Begins
Part 2: Characters
Part 3: Magical Creatures
Part 4: The Music of Harry Potter
Part 5: The Evolution of Harry Potter
Part 6: Special Effects
Part 7: Growing Up Potter
Part 8: The Harry Potter Phenomenon

The first two UE's also contain extended cuts, picture-in-picture commentaries, and new DTS-HD audio tracks that aren't on the regular editions. The fourth one also has an awesome P-i-P track that was on the HD-DVD, but not the regular Blu-Ray.

Is there any place that sells these at a good price? Every time Ive seen them, I want to get them, but being 40 bucks each means a lot of money to buy all the ones that are out.

• Locked thread