Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Xanin posted:

What's REI?

I just bought them from a travel shop on the high street, can't remember a brand but those things are fairly generic. They're quick-drying and also can be converted to shorts (never did that too as it wasn't the best look).

Those are good. I got some socks that are I think meant for atheletes (won them at some hipster bicycle race); they were cut off at the ankle and made of a thin material that breathed super-well and dried quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Xanin posted:

What's REI?

I just bought them from a travel shop on the high street, can't remember a brand but those things are fairly generic. They're quick-drying and also can be converted to shorts (never did that too as it wasn't the best look).

http://www.rei.com/

Excellent outdoors co-op in the US.

I was looking at their travel packages and they looked pretty good, generally I want a bit more freedom but I might consider doing one sometime.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 19, 2010

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
Well, they didn't arrest me, and I got my stamp :) now I'm stuck in Kangar waiting for the bus to butterworth.. again.

Georgetown was pretty nice though.

Does anyone know if I can take a direct bus from georgetown/butterworth to singapore ?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Klogdor posted:

Added bonus : seems like I somehow bypassed getting a Malaysian visa, and I'm now illegaly in the country.. poo poo.

This happened to me too! Their borders/airports must really suck! When I went back the following day they tried to blame it all on me but good job on building an airport that people can walk right through, without having to go through immigration. The officer played tough guy and said "You think this is easy for me?" blah blah blah and in the end, all he did was writing "Enter date X" in my passport and let me go.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Any of you Bangkok vets (sheep, spog, pompous etc) know someone I can talk to regarding a Thai person threatening to sue me after a traffic accident? Can PM more details.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

Ringo R posted:

This happened to me too! Their borders/airports must really suck! When I went back the following day they tried to blame it all on me but good job on building an airport that people can walk right through, without having to go through immigration. The officer played tough guy and said "You think this is easy for me?" blah blah blah and in the end, all he did was writing "Enter date X" in my passport and let me go.

Actually the ones I talked to were really nice, just shook their heads and laughed a bit, did some paperwork and let me go.

a waste of a nice morning, but meh.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I'm going to be in Singapore for a few days and I want to take the ferry to Indonesia. How much time should I allocate for the four border control passages? (Sin out, Ind in, Ind out, Sin in)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ringo R posted:

Any of you Bangkok vets (sheep, spog, pompous etc) know someone I can talk to regarding a Thai person threatening to sue me after a traffic accident? Can PM more details.

Dunno, it'll be someone Thai you want to talk with though (either a cop or a lawyer, neither of which can be foreigners).

edit - my initial gut reaction is the guy is going to be poo poo out of luck; I think the window of opportunity for restitution like that is at the police station/at the time of the incident (guessing/hunch from my experience, I don't actually know). Of course, this being Thailand, how much the law applies depends on who he knows.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 19, 2010

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ringo R posted:

I had a contract dispute with a school and called up the board of ed and wound up talking to the head of the department, who, in very polite but slightly stilted English, told me to please have the school call him and he'd sort everything out (and he did). That's as far as I ever went into anything law related. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I have heard that Thai lawyers aren't all that expensive.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Ringo R posted:

Is he threatening to sue you or actually suing you?

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Sheep-Goats posted:

Koh Lipe

So guess who just got back from Koh Lipe. :buddy: You were right about the snorkeling, very clear waters and lots of sea life to see once you get out of the main beaches and head for the tiny islands. The sea gypsy town is now a market street booming with bars, shops and massage parlors, with still more under construction. According to the locals there has been a rash of development within the last 5 years. Sad, but these things happen I guess. And yes, the dogs are still a menace when walking alone. I was up at dawn and basically alone on the beach except for a pack of dogs nipping at my legs and bumping into my tripod.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm in Thahkek right now and would like to get back to Ho Chi Minh in the next 4 days. It's probably going to be by bus but my problem is the whole visa thing. I haven't seen anywhere around here to apply for one and as far as I can tell, the online option is for people flying in. Is it too much of a bitch to pick one up? And how long would you think it'd be to get there from here (Central Laos). Just looking for some helpful advice on getting there.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008

Klogdor posted:

Well, they didn't arrest me, and I got my stamp :) now I'm stuck in Kangar waiting for the bus to butterworth.. again.

Georgetown was pretty nice though.

Does anyone know if I can take a direct bus from georgetown/butterworth to singapore ?

try https://www.aeroline.com.my/ they have very comfortable buses their are a few other VIP bus services in Malaysia some with wifi etc and pretty cheap too

Shah Rukh Khan
Dec 23, 2008

Shampy posted:

So I'm in Thahkek right now and would like to get back to Ho Chi Minh in the next 4 days. It's probably going to be by bus but my problem is the whole visa thing. I haven't seen anywhere around here to apply for one and as far as I can tell, the online option is for people flying in. Is it too much of a bitch to pick one up? And how long would you think it'd be to get there from here (Central Laos). Just looking for some helpful advice on getting there.

I think you just pay $30 at the border for a 3 month visa. Maybe plan to spend a day at the border waiting for paperwork to go through? Not sure. But I don't think you have to do it by mail or online or anything as long as you aren't flying.

The Wildcard
May 8, 2003

I fought the Nightman, lived as Dayman; / Now I'm
here
to ask for your hand.
Alright, I'm back to this thread, things have been way too busy, but I've been promising myself all year I would take the plunge in December.
Is all this Red Shirt activity/talk of a coup something to be worried about? I'm thinking about grabbing a ticket and visiting Thailand from around Dec. 6th to maybe January 1st or so. I don't imagine I'll spend a lot of time in Bangkok, I'm more interested in the islands/beaches. I figured I'll plan my first three or four days, so I won't be walking around like a chicken with its head cut off, then wing it from there. That seems like half the fun.

Anyone else going to be in the country around that time? And, if I got Hep A and B shots, obviously I'd only be able to get one set before I left, would that be a worry? I don't plan on going wild partying, picking up girls, or hanging out in the deep jungle, but I still want to be safe/smart about what I get.

Also, I figure I'll fly into Singapore first, spend a few days with family friends. From there I plan on heading to an island/beach. Can anyone recommend one that's not a tourist trap, but not too off the grid? Finally, I saw some talk earlier in the thread about Train Travel between Singapore and Thailand. Has anyone ever tried that? If it's a fun/interesting experience, I'd be glad to take the extra time, but if it sucks, I'd much rather just fly.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

MrFrosty posted:

The sea gypsy town is now a market street booming with bars, shops and massage parlors, with still more under construction.

I haven't been to that many Thai islands, but I'd be extremely surprised if someone could point to a place that's a better example of horrific overdevelopment than Ko Lipe. The island is literally 3 or 4 k's long and there's like fifty resorts on it.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

freebooter posted:

I haven't been to that many Thai islands, but I'd be extremely surprised if someone could point to a place that's a better example of horrific overdevelopment than Ko Lipe. The island is literally 3 or 4 k's long and there's like fifty resorts on it.

Soi Bangla, Patong Beach, Koh Phuket

I'll just leave this here!

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD
Tiger is a nice disco :colbert:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MrFrosty posted:

So guess who just got back from Koh Lipe. :buddy: You were right about the snorkeling, very clear waters and lots of sea life to see once you get out of the main beaches and head for the tiny islands. The sea gypsy town is now a market street booming with bars, shops and massage parlors, with still more under construction. According to the locals there has been a rash of development within the last 5 years. Sad, but these things happen I guess. And yes, the dogs are still a menace when walking alone. I was up at dawn and basically alone on the beach except for a pack of dogs nipping at my legs and bumping into my tripod.

Oh great so now that's one more Thailand story that I get to tell like I'm a 55 year old British expat "WELL BACK IN THE DAY IN REAL THAILAND INNIT"

Yes I am!
Nov 7, 2009
Hey guys, looking for some advice on a tight schedule for Vietnam.

Currently will be in Ho Chi Min city from 11th. I was planning to leave HCMC around 14th (night time) and go to Hanoi, after which on the 18th I will be flying to Hong Kong.

However I've been looking around and it seems as if 3 days and 3 nights in Hanoi is a bit of an overkill.

I was thinking of stopping by Hue, for 1 day and 1 night before heading to Hanoi. Would this trip be worth it? Or would it simply be too much to pack in? and I should just spend the time in Hanoi or extend stay in HCMC?

Any advice would be great!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Shah Rukh Khan posted:

I think you just pay $30 at the border for a 3 month visa. Maybe plan to spend a day at the border waiting for paperwork to go through? Not sure. But I don't think you have to do it by mail or online or anything as long as you aren't flying.

I don't think this is true; you have to apply for your Vietnam visa in advance and set an entry date, unless they've changed their (dumb, inconvenient) policy.

The Wildcard posted:

Alright, I'm back to this thread, things have been way too busy, but I've been promising myself all year I would take the plunge in December.
Is all this Red Shirt activity/talk of a coup something to be worried about? I'm thinking about grabbing a ticket and visiting Thailand from around Dec. 6th to maybe January 1st or so. I don't imagine I'll spend a lot of time in Bangkok, I'm more interested in the islands/beaches.

Also, I figure I'll fly into Singapore first, spend a few days with family friends. From there I plan on heading to an island/beach. Can anyone recommend one that's not a tourist trap, but not too off the grid? Finally, I saw some talk earlier in the thread about Train Travel between Singapore and Thailand. Has anyone ever tried that? If it's a fun/interesting experience, I'd be glad to take the extra time, but if it sucks, I'd much rather just fly.

I wouldn't worry about the Red Shirts at this point, but if/when the King dies, all bets are off.

I've heard the Jungle Railway in Malaysia is pretty cool/scenic, but personally I'd probably just fly for $50 on Air Asia or Tiger and save myself two days.

Yes I am! posted:

Hey guys, looking for some advice on a tight schedule for Vietnam.

Currently will be in Ho Chi Min city from 11th. I was planning to leave HCMC around 14th (night time) and go to Hanoi, after which on the 18th I will be flying to Hong Kong.

However I've been looking around and it seems as if 3 days and 3 nights in Hanoi is a bit of an overkill.

I was thinking of stopping by Hue, for 1 day and 1 night before heading to Hanoi. Would this trip be worth it? Or would it simply be too much to pack in? and I should just spend the time in Hanoi or extend stay in HCMC?

Any advice would be great!

You should do Halong Bay instead of Hue.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

The Wildcard posted:

Anyone else going to be in the country around that time?

I'll be in Thailand from December 5 until January 22. I'll be on Koh Tao from December 20 until January 18.

You'll be there in peak tourist season, so finding a place that isn't overrun with tourists will be difficult. Some places (Phuket) are worse than others (Koh Tao), but there are some places that are completely untouched - but it sounds like you want something in the middle.

I suggest Koh Tao: it's not off the grid, but it attracts a different kind of island goer than somewhere like Phuket or Koh Samui - younger, more relaxed, mostly there to dive, no sex tourists. There's one main beach area, and then half a dozen smaller, more isolated, less visited bays with little villages (some without a small village at all). It's easy to get to from Singapore, too: Train to Chumpon, ferry to Koh Tao.

I wouldn't discount Malaysia, either. It's well worth visiting (you'll have to visit if you get the train anyway).

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm and http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm should help with the train stuff, but don't rely upon the timetable posted there.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh great so now that's one more Thailand story that I get to tell like I'm a 55 year old British expat "WELL BACK IN THE DAY IN REAL THAILAND INNIT"
Heheh. Well things aren't quite so bad as that photo brendan poster up there. And the beaches really are amazingly beautiful. Bila beach in particular, just a tiny strip of sand with a chill little bar on it. gently caress I wish I was back there instead of the office.

u got mares in yr house fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 22, 2014

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

MrFrosty posted:

Heheh. Well things aren't quite so bad as that photo brendan poster up there. And the beaches really are amazingly beautiful. Bila beach in particular, just a tiny strip of sand with a chill little bar on it. gently caress I wish I was back there instead of the office.

Photos ---> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=247464&id=645967334&l=d92c9fc0bf

Haha, this is awesome in so many ways.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MrFrosty posted:

Photos ---> http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=247464&id=645967334&l=d92c9fc0bf

Agreedo on the beaches they were very nice.

Yes I am!
Nov 7, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I don't think this is true; you have to apply for your Vietnam visa in advance and set an entry date, unless they've changed their (dumb, inconvenient) policy.

I wouldn't worry about the Red Shirts at this point, but if/when the King dies, all bets are off.

I've heard the Jungle Railway in Malaysia is pretty cool/scenic, but personally I'd probably just fly for $50 on Air Asia or Tiger and save myself two days.

You should do Halong Bay instead of Hue.

Excellent, went for the 3 day 3 nights in Hanoi.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

brendanwor posted:

Soi Bangla, Patong Beach, Koh Phuket

I'll just leave this here!

Yeah but that's on Phuket which is an enormous island connected by a bridge to the mainland. Whereas Ko Lipe is basically a sandbar in the middle of nowhere.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

MrFrosty posted:

I know I'm already gigantic SE Asia sourpuss, but if you think Ko Lipe's beaches are beautiful then please sample Australia, where they aren't coated in rubbish and where the marine life is still alive.

Actually has anyone experienced Malaysia's beaches/islands? I blitzed through it on my way to Thailand, but then heard really good things and figured that in retrospect I should have gone snorkelling and diving there instead. What I heard was that because they're a first-world country they take a bit more care of their reefs, wildlife etc, confirm/deny

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Whoever told you that is an idiot but they do have nice beaches and some crappy ones.

Yes I am!
Nov 7, 2009

freebooter posted:

I know I'm already gigantic SE Asia sourpuss, but if you think Ko Lipe's beaches are beautiful then please sample Australia, where they aren't coated in rubbish and where the marine life is still alive.

Actually has anyone experienced Malaysia's beaches/islands? I blitzed through it on my way to Thailand, but then heard really good things and figured that in retrospect I should have gone snorkelling and diving there instead. What I heard was that because they're a first-world country they take a bit more care of their reefs, wildlife etc, confirm/deny

You'll be wanting to go to East Malaysia. Some places are heavily geared to honey mooners though.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

freebooter posted:

I will, as soon as the Aussie dollar stops being so drat strong against the Ringgit. :smith:

You must not have seen very much of Malaysia, because we are most definitely NOT a first-world country. West Malaysia has Pulau Perhentian which has turtles and cleaner beaches than Koh Lipe IMO and Lang Tengah which I hear is decent, but yeah East Malaysia is really where you want to go for our beaches.

The Wildcard
May 8, 2003

I fought the Nightman, lived as Dayman; / Now I'm
here
to ask for your hand.

Steve. posted:

I'll be in Thailand from December 5 until January 22. I'll be on Koh Tao from December 20 until January 18.

You'll be there in peak tourist season, so finding a place that isn't overrun with tourists will be difficult. Some places (Phuket) are worse than others (Koh Tao), but there are some places that are completely untouched - but it sounds like you want something in the middle.

I suggest Koh Tao: it's not off the grid, but it attracts a different kind of island goer than somewhere like Phuket or Koh Samui - younger, more relaxed, mostly there to dive, no sex tourists. There's one main beach area, and then half a dozen smaller, more isolated, less visited bays with little villages (some without a small village at all). It's easy to get to from Singapore, too: Train to Chumpon, ferry to Koh Tao.

I wouldn't discount Malaysia, either. It's well worth visiting (you'll have to visit if you get the train anyway).

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm and http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm should help with the train stuff, but don't rely upon the timetable posted there.

I'm kicking around the idea of taking the train up through Malaysia, I imagine it would be possible to get off the train at some point, explore for a bit (a day or so, whatever) and then catch the next one the rest of the way, no? My concern is all the travel advisories I'm seeing for Southern Thailand/Malaysia, should I be concerned as someone traveling alone? Plus apparently they have curfews in Bangkok, but I'm not planning on spending a lot of time there anyway. Nobody else seems to be worried about this, so I'm guessing I'm over thinking it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Hundreds killed in Cambodian festival stampede

Holy poo poo :smith:

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

The Wildcard posted:

I'm kicking around the idea of taking the train up through Malaysia, I imagine it would be possible to get off the train at some point, explore for a bit (a day or so, whatever) and then catch the next one the rest of the way, no? My concern is all the travel advisories I'm seeing for Southern Thailand/Malaysia, should I be concerned as someone traveling alone? Plus apparently they have curfews in Bangkok, but I'm not planning on spending a lot of time there anyway. Nobody else seems to be worried about this, so I'm guessing I'm over thinking it.

Yeah, it's possible to do that - but you have to book each led separately. As far as I'm aware, there's no facility for stop overs.

I'd probably break the journey up in Kuala Lumpur for a couple of days, and Georgetown (Penang) for a few more. You'll need to stop at Butterworth anyway, and that's mainland Penang.

Travel advisories for Southern Thailand and Northern Malaysia are all fairly valid, although they're reasonably alarmist. There is bad stuff happening there on a regular basis, but train travel should be OK. The bad guys are very polite: they like to keep the violence amongst themselves, and the main train line is very much on the tourist trail.

I don't know anything about curfews in Bangkok. I know there were months ago, but I thought they'd been lifted and only applied to certain areas, anyway. I'm guessing people more down with what's going on there could probably help out a bit more.

Travelling solo will be fine - you should be as concerned (or not) as if you were travelling in a group. It's all very much on the well oiled tourist trail, so you won't be forging any new territory but you will find yourself being ushered from place to place so quickly you'll arrive wondering what the hell just happened.

I find this is usually a good resource, and fairly up to date - much more so than government issued advisories, anyway: http://www.asigroup.com/HOTSPOTS.asp

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I went to that festival and it really is just a mass of people. Probably the most dense crowd I've ever been in except maybe rushing the field at Appalachian State when we clinched our berth in the Football championship game. The difference was the App State thing was 15 minutes, this crowd was all day and all night

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Steve. posted:

I don't know anything about curfews in Bangkok. I know there were months ago, but I thought they'd been lifted and only applied to certain areas, anyway. I'm guessing people more down with what's going on there could probably help out a bit more.

Nope, no curfews in BKK unless you happen to be red shirted and with a large group of similarly dressed friends.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

brendanwor posted:

Nope, no curfews in BKK unless you happen to be red shirted and with a large group of similarly dressed friends.

Sweet. Hopefully there's no more drama - I'm counting down until I'm there (less than two weeks!).

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Steve. posted:

Sweet. Hopefully there's no more drama - I'm counting down until I'm there (less than two weeks!).

Shrug, I was there a few months back, well after the major protests and all that though. Stayed right in Ploen Chit, and there wasn't a hint of any drama around. And will be there again in a couple of weeks :neckbeard:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
So, my Vietnam plans are coming together. Hopefully gonna spend 2 full days in Hanoi, 2/3 days at Ha Long Bay, 2 days in Hue, 2 in Hoi An, 4 in Nha Trang, and just 1 (my final day) in HCMC. Only two weeks to squeeze it all in, sadly. Would you goons do anything different? I keep hearing that HCMC is a bit overrated, but should I cut a day from Nha Trang and add it to HCMC?

The appeal of spending so much time in Nha Trang will be the beaches and relaxation. But is 4 days a little much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astian
Jun 16, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I was smashed up in this same crowd earlier in the evening, luckily I got back home before it happened.

Double a city's population, put the entirety of it on the streets, and take away all common sense; it's a recipe for a tragedy like this. I went to the bridge today; it's still carpeted in shoes and clothing. Streets are silent now, lined with incense, candles, offerings...