Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Doc Hawkins posted:

He's middle-eastern, but the elephant-nose clinches it for "jewish."

What race was Dexter Jettster?
Fat guy running a diner = Italian?

I didn't have a big issue with Dexter. Obi-Wan's got a history of colorful non-jedi friends/insiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Sneer Gory
Sep 7, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fat guy running a diner = Italian?

I didn't have a big issue with Dexter. Obi-Wan's got a history of colorful non-jedi friends/insiders.

While Dexter wasn't the best implemented, I liked him as a concept, showing that Obi-Wan isn't all ivory tower and has friends and contacts who weren't all Jedi or governmental muckety-mucks, and could even be people who were a little shady. Dexter is the closet we get to a lovable rogue for the entire prequel trilogy. He's really the only non-Force User clone who does really anything interesting or move the plot forward in any way, and who isn't a villain or Padme.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Mad Hamish posted:

Ew, no. She's obsessed with MANDALORIANS and looks like a horse.

Admiral Daala is where it's at :quagmire:

Are you aware that she used Daala to basically write herself into the SW universe in LOTF?

Right down to the insinuated affair with Boba Fett, iirc.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

What race was Dexter Jettster?

Reformed Black Man

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Arabs? I thought Watto was the moneygrubbing Jew.
There was debate amongst some anti-discrimination scholars at the time of which he was. The clones were meant to represent an endless wave of mexicans streaming across the border. Despite being maoris.

Honestly if he could be either an arab or a jew it can't be that bad a stereotype.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Makes me wonder what cringe worthy mish mash of racial stereotyping combined with alien we missed for Revenge of The Sith.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Biplane posted:

Reformed Black Man

Reformed? One might even say downright respectable!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Star Wars was just as white as Space Mutiny until ESB and ROTJ came along.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

White as the Hoth snow!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Captain von Trapp posted:

Reformed? One might even say downright respectable!

What I Learned from ESB: black people are rare and untrustworthy.

Nah, actually, I thought Leia and Chewie had way misdirected their aggression. Even as a kid, it was obvious that a guy in charge of a whole city had responsibilities, and when Darth loving Vader just drops in on him, all he can do is the best he can.

Real What I Learned: When the guy who suddenly and unexpectedly betrayed you sneaks back to your prison cell and lets you out...wait until you've reached minimum safe distance before strangling him to death, should that still be important to you.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Despite what people think I do think Lando is portrayed pretty sympathetically. He never stabs them in the back later or even thinks of it. The story does a good job explaining his hands were tied and he never sounds happy about doing it.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

Despite what people think I do think Lando is portrayed pretty sympathetically. He never stabs them in the back later or even thinks of it. The story does a good job explaining his hands were tied and he never sounds happy about doing it.

Right, even as a kid I never though what he did was that bad. The Empire knew Han & Co. were coming, and even beat them there. His choice was 1) play along, let his friends get captured, and save the city, or 2) not play along, friends get captured anyway, and have the city fall to imperial rule while probably getting himself killed.

And what he actually did was pretend to choose the first option while actually doing his best to arrange a rescue - which is a whole lot easier to do while not rotting in a cell because you didn't tell Darth Vader you'd cooperate.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Just watched Empire again last night. I know this has been asked before but what's the timeline supposed to be for that movie? It feels like the Han and Leia parts are supposed to be within the same day or two, but it seems like Luke was training on Dagobah for much longer.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Epi Lepi posted:

Just watched Empire again last night. I know this has been asked before but what's the timeline supposed to be for that movie? It feels like the Han and Leia parts are supposed to be within the same day or two, but it seems like Luke was training on Dagobah for much longer.

This is probably one of the most contested issues with the original movies because no it isn't clear. I think 2 months is roughly agreed upon. Assume Han keeps enough rations to survive long trips without hyperspace because with how often the falcon breaks down it's probably a valid concern.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

RagnarokAngel posted:

This is probably one of the most contested issues with the original movies because no it isn't clear. I think 2 months is roughly agreed upon. Assume Han keeps enough rations to survive long trips without hyperspace because with how often the falcon breaks down it's probably a valid concern.

From the explanation I've heard, the Millenium Falcon was "limping" from Hoth to Bespin at relativistic speeds, so traveling at a large fraction of the speed of light. Of course, as you approach the speed of light, time around you slows down. So while it may have seemed like months for Luke and Yoda, it may have only seemed like days for Han & Co.

Then again, that's the super-nerd answer, so whatever.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mecha Gojira posted:

From the explanation I've heard, the Millenium Falcon was "limping" from Hoth to Bespin at relativistic speeds, so traveling at a large fraction of the speed of light. Of course, as you approach the speed of light, time around you slows down. So while it may have seemed like months for Luke and Yoda, it may have only seemed like days for Han & Co.

Woah now, physics? In my Star Wars?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mecha Gojira posted:

While you are correct, this is never approached in Star Wars in any way, so I doubt it played a factor here.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

thrawn527 posted:

While you are correct, this is never approached in Star Wars in any way, so I doubt it played a factor here.

I think there was some sort of interview with George Lucas where he discussed the pacing and that the time Luke was on Dagobah was supposed to be months and not a matter of days like it appears in the movie.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I've always thought Rodians were alien Hispanics.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LLJKSiLk posted:

I think there was some sort of interview with George Lucas where he discussed the pacing and that the time Luke was on Dagobah was supposed to be months and not a matter of days like it appears in the movie.

Oh yes, I'm sure it was months. What I'm saying is Mecha Gojira's explanation of Han and Leia traveling close to light speed caused time to go at a different rate for them is probably not involved. It's probably just that Han and Leia spent longer traveling to Bespin than we saw, most of the trip just wasn't shown.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Looking at it that way, we'd also get a literal twin paradox -- Luke will then be a few months older than his twin sister.

I can't decide if that's silly or cool. Possibly both.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

thrawn527 posted:

Oh yes, I'm sure it was months. What I'm saying is Mecha Gojira's explanation of Han and Leia traveling close to light speed caused time to go at a different rate for them is probably not involved. It's probably just that Han and Leia spent longer traveling to Bespin than we saw, most of the trip just wasn't shown.

I demand some EU material covering the trip between the Star Destroyer and Bespin that logically leads to the "I love you" moment before Han is frozen. Obviously there had to be some rational relationship development.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

And what he actually did was pretend to choose the first option while actually doing his best to arrange a rescue - which is a whole lot easier to do while not rotting in a cell because you didn't tell Darth Vader you'd cooperate.

Note that he also managed to do it from right under the noses of Vader, Fett, and the entire Super Star Destroyer Executor. (STAR DREADNOUGHT YOU PHILISTINE)

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

LLJKSiLk posted:

Obviously there had to be some rational relationship development.

In a Star Wars movie? Are you serious?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

that awful man posted:

In a Star Wars movie? Are you serious?

I was of course being facetious. What I really want to see is how George Lucas' courtship ritual went as a kid. Did he take a girl to the drive-in just to scream "YOUR SKIN ISN'T AS COURSE AS THE SAND MY LOVE" in her face while grabbing a boob?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

LLJKSiLk posted:

I was of course being facetious. What I really want to see is how George Lucas' courtship ritual went as a kid. Did he take a girl to the drive-in just to scream "YOUR SKIN ISN'T AS COURSE AS THE SAND MY LOVE" in her face while grabbing a boob?

It was the sixties, throw in some casual acid use and this sounds just about right.

Hantu
Jan 28, 2009

A slight derail. How to judge a Wiki: if you want to know the quality of a wiki, especially a fan made one, search for the keyword breasts. Therefore, dear readers, I present to you the Wookiepedia's entry on breasts. And of course, the first image on that page is this:

Yeah, I was expecting Twi'lek stuff too.

Linked in the article is the horrifying TDL Nanny Droid.:aaaaa:

Choice quote:

quote:

Standard equipment on the TDL was four arms (whyyyy?) covered with Synthflesh :psylon: that mimicked the child's mother's scent and warmth and an internal 2L tank that could hold milk...Years earlier, Anakin Solo was protected by a TDL/X1-Lioness while on Anoth. This droid was modified so that all four arms contained hidden blasters.

Following links in the sub-heading Non-mammals with breasts gives us this:T'ra Saa where the scholarly Wookiepedians speculate on why a tree-like creature even have breasts. Truly a fountain of knowledge and enlightenment.

God damned perverted Star Wars Extended Universe!:argh:

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I'm glad that Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope is listed as the first appearence.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hantu posted:

Linked in the article is the horrifying TDL Nanny Droid.:aaaaa:

Thank you Kevin J. Anderson!

T'ra Saa gets a pass because she's from the awesome Ostrander comics...Although come to think of it didn't Kevin Anderson originally invent her species in Tales of the Jedi?

Thank you again KJA, looking forward to your work on the new Dune movie!

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Epi Lepi posted:

The answer is in the OP.

crazychicken
Dec 15, 2004
Is Hans Solo a shape shifting lizard in the films? Or was that idea totally abandoned?

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm still amazed we got Neimodians AND Gungans in the same drat film. Goddamn, Lucas.

To be fair, I never saw Neimodians as being asian stereotypes. Their whole style and aesthetic (flowing robes, ornate headdresses, evil robots, etc) is mean to evoke a sort of pulpy "Ming the Merciless" feel. It just probably never occurred to Lucas that the writers of Flash Gordon may not have been the most racially sensitive lot, so he did very little to modify the archetype.

Also as someone mentioned: since people can't agree if Watto is an offensive Jewish or Arab stereotype, it's probably safe to say that he was not intended to be either.

I mean, Jabba the Hutt could be seen as a super offensive Arab stereotype, if you chose to read him as such. He's fat, opulent, lives in a desert palace, keeps several female slaves, smokes a hookah, talks in a funny foreign language, and keeps court over a silk-draped den of thieves.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

tin can made man posted:

To be fair, I never saw Neimodians as being asian stereotypes. Their whole style and aesthetic (flowing robes, ornate headdresses, evil robots, etc) is mean to evoke a sort of pulpy "Ming the Merciless" feel. It just probably never occurred to Lucas that the writers of Flash Gordon may not have been the most racially sensitive lot, so he did very little to modify the archetype.

Ming the Merciless was pretty much an offensive asian stereotype.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

tin can made man posted:

I mean, Jabba the Hutt could be seen as a super offensive Arab stereotype, if you chose to read him as such. He's fat, opulent, lives in a desert palace, keeps several female slaves, smokes a hookah, talks in a funny foreign language, and keeps court over a silk-draped den of thieves.

In one of the recent Clone Wars episodes, Ziro the Hutt (gay stereotype) visits his mother who is absolutely a black southern mammy caricature. And the Hutt council members are pretty much all sleazy Italian stereotypes. (And yes, I know they're supposed to be spoofing famous movie mafiosos)

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

tin can made man posted:

Also as someone mentioned: since people can't agree if Watto is an offensive Jewish or Arab stereotype, it's probably safe to say that he was not intended to be either.

I read somewhere that the Neimoidians used a Transylvanian accent (or an approximation thereof), but I don't know if it's true. Andrew Secombe (who voiced Watto) based his portrayal of him on Fagin from Oliver Twist (particularly Alec Guinness's portrayal of the character). I also agree that if you can't identify what its supposed to be a stereotype of, then it's not really a stereotype. The whole racial thing is a nasty combination of Lucas' sheltered life and his use of classic archetypes that are often associated with minorities.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NGL posted:

I read somewhere that the Neimoidians used a Transylvanian accent (or an approximation thereof), but I don't know if it's true. Andrew Secombe (who voiced Watto) based his portrayal of him on Fagin from Oliver Twist (particularly Alec Guinness's portrayal of the character). I also agree that if you can't identify what its supposed to be a stereotype of, then it's not really a stereotype. The whole racial thing is a nasty combination of Lucas' sheltered life and his use of classic archetypes that are often associated with minorities.

The version of Oliver Twist with Alec Guinness wasn't released in the US for several years specifically because his version of Fagin was pretty much a "disgusting Jew" stereotype, so that doesn't really help the argument...

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Chairman Capone posted:

The version of Oliver Twist with Alec Guinness wasn't released in the US for several years specifically because his version of Fagin was pretty much a "disgusting Jew" stereotype, so that doesn't really help the argument...

Oh. Well there you go, then.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

arioch posted:

Ming the Merciless was pretty much an offensive asian stereotype.

And what I'm saying is that maybe George Lucas wasn't as sensitive to that fact and just wanted to have that classic archetype as a villain.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

tin can made man posted:

And what I'm saying is that maybe George Lucas wasn't as sensitive to that fact and just wanted to have that classic archetype as a villain.

Right, it's not as though relatively tame stereotypes are a uniquely horrible sin that Lucas alone is guilty of. How many times a year do we see movies with a plot that amount to "Haha, a black guy and a white guy have different taste in music!"?

For that matter if we're talking classic villain archetypes, the main one Lucas uses is the one that's rarely noticed because it's as common as oxygen - the classic bad-guys-with-upper-class-British-accents trope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

For that matter if we're talking classic villain archetypes, the main one Lucas uses is the one that's rarely noticed because it's as common as oxygen - the classic bad-guys-with-upper-class-British-accents trope.
Even more obvious, if you're ugly, you're probably evil. The disfigured/masked other with an ominous voice is always the villain in the pulps. Normally it's just a foreigner with an accent and a scar or an eyepatch. Lucas went the whole hog and made him a cyborg with a gas mask, voiced by James Earl Jones no less. And every threatening-looking alien is either evil or at least hangs out in shady places, while the good aliens don't really look threatening at all.