Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pitchfork suffers from hella white guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

theflyingexecutive posted:

Pitchfork suffers from hella white guilt.

They've actually always described it as a recognition of the extent to which the iPod has changed how we think about music. With the decisive shift from album to single, producers have been given much more free reign to create succinct blasts of awesome. That tends to (tends to) favor rap and pop artists more than traditional rock artists.

Since they made that statement, there's been more explicit cross-pollination, and Pitchfork's made an effort to skew experimental to maintain their baseline cred.

Dammit... I still love this writeup:

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/7693-the-top-500-tracks-of-the-2000s-20-1/2/

Pitchfork posted:

So you've spent the past five days clicking through pages of this countdown only to find out that the best single of the 2000s was released just 10 months into the decade. (To the ensuing nine or so years of music: thanks for showing up.) And that it's the very same song that topped Pitchfork's Best Songs of 2000-2004 list from five years ago. Now you know how your parents feel when they tune into a long-weekend classic-rock radio countdown for the inevitable valedictory spin of "Stairway to Heaven".

But really, do we have any other choice? "B.O.B." is not just the song of the decade-- it is the decade. Appropriately, the contemporary hip-hop act most in tune with the Afro-Futurist philosophies of Sun Ra, George Clinton, and Afrika Bambaataa, wound up effectively crafting a fast-forwarded highlight-reel prophecy of what the next 10 years held in store. The title-- aka "Bombs Over Baghdad", a phrase that sounded oddly anachronistic in 2000, sadly ubiquitous two and a half years later-- is only the start of it. In "B.O.B"'s booty-bass blitzkrieg, we hear an obliteration of the boundaries separating hip-hop, metal, and electro, setting the stage for a decade of dance/rock crossovers. We hear a bloodthirsty gospel choir inaugurating a presidential administration of warmongering evangelicals. We hear André 3000 and Big Boi fire off a synapse-bursting stream of ripped-from-the-headlines buzzwords ("Cure for cancer/ Cure for AIDS"), personal anecdotes ("Got a son on the way by the name of Bamboo") and product placements ("Yo quiero Taco Bell") that read like the world's first Twitter feed. We hear four minutes of utter loving chaos yielding to a joyously optimistic denouement (a point reinforced by the Stankonia cover's re-imagination of the American flag, which anticipates a White House set to be painted black).

Of course, there is a downside of being ahead of your time-- upon its release, "B.O.B." didn't even dent the Billboard Hot 100, and merely peaked at No. 69 on the Hip-Hop/R&B Chart. But unlike OutKast's subsequent number one singles ("Ms. Jackson" and "Hey Ya") "B.O.B." is too disorienting and exhausting an experience to ever succumb to over-saturation, and its majesty has never been diminished by ironic cover versions from cred-hungry rock bands. Because even after a decade that's seen the act of copying music become as easy as a mouse-click, and the process of performing simplified for toy video-game guitars, the future-shocked ferocity "B.O.B." is something that just cannot be duplicated. --Stuart Berman

\/\/\/\/ Oh, I'm down. Just pointing out that this isn't exactly a left-field decision by the editorial staff.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 23, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Modern Leper posted:

They also called Justified one of the top ten albums of the year it was released, and Outkast's B.O.B the song of the decade. This is not unforeseeable.

There are many things wrong with Pitchfork, but neither of these things numbers among them

Royal Challenge
Jun 24, 2005
http://www.complex.com/CELEBRITIES/Cover-Story/kanye-west-project-runaway

New cover story on Kanye. Amazing read by the editor, who got invited to Hawaii during the recording.

What really saddens me though is throughout the article he talks about Kanye sleeping in the studio with engineers behind the boards 24 hours a day and him changing small things on the fly but we're never going to be able to hear it because the dude who mastered the album is a goddamn dumbass.

Edit: For explanation look below.

Royal Challenge fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 23, 2010

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

theflyingexecutive posted:

This is obnoxious as poo poo, I hope the vinyl release really won't take an extra month.

Update: Still upset

Can you guys explain this? As someone who has never even put an album together I don't understand the pissed off people in here. Would like to learn something new.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Can you guys explain this? As someone who has never even put an album together I don't understand the pissed off people in here. Would like to learn something new.

These two do a better job of explaining it than I ever could:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Also want to point out that the album version of Monster takes out a lot of the little nuances in Bon Iver's performance (including the little trill he does his contribution starts). It's really noticeable, and I keep singing that part when it's not there.

Switched out the Good Friday version in the album tracklist. Much better.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
Just chiming in to say this album is amazing and all of the lights is ridiculous.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wow at first I thought that it was my car that made songs like Monster sound like rear end, but looking at that waveform and I finally know its not. What a goddamn shame.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I held off until I thought the hype had died down, but, wow, Kanye returns to form! This entire album is ridiculous, but it's still a first listen.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I was blown away by this album. I enjoyed 808s, and I really loved graduation, but this this is really something special. Holy poo poo.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

Royal Challenge posted:

http://www.complex.com/CELEBRITIES/Cover-Story/kanye-west-project-runaway

New cover story on Kanye. Amazing read by the editor, who got invited to Hawaii during the recording.

What really saddens me though is throughout the article he talks about Kanye sleeping in the studio with engineers behind the boards 24 hours a day and him changing small things on the fly but we're never going to be able to hear it because the dude who mastered the album is a goddamn dumbass.

Edit: For explanation look below.

What an amazing article, wow. I really liked the picture that showed all of the rules of the studio.

I hope they release a remastered version of the album.

adjective_noun
Jan 5, 2007

Antony played guitaaaaaaaaar!!
This album is unbelievable. So many people focus on Kanye the man/child/manchild, and love to mention how he's an rear end in a top hat and pass that off as a reason not to listen to him. Those people are trying to come off as cooler than they are, and doing a poo poo job at it. Kanye's public persona gets all of the headlines because, well, it's fun to laugh at eccentric people. 30 years from now, do you think people will be talking about Kanye the person? No, they'll be talking about Kanye the artist. He already had a discography full of all time classics (Late Registration in particular) but here he has created something bold and new, a complete work that I truly believe will stand amongst the greatest albums of the pop era, going all the way back to the Sun Sessions. It's tough to put a bead on right now, but pop has permanently absorbed hip-hop as a cultural and sonic influence, in the future I believe Kanye will be viewed as the first post-hip-hop pop artist. Anyway, great album, deserving off all the praise, honestly I think everyone is so caught up in the glory of this album right now that I am looking forward to dusting it off in a year when I've fully digested the contents, and hearing just how well I know it's going to age.

Also, anyone who says they aren't surprised that Pitchfork gave this album a 10 clearly never reads Pitchfork. The last album to get a 10 was Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, which was well over 8 years ago. In that interim, Pitchfork has grown exponentially in exposure and importance, not to mention journalistic integrity and self seriousness. A friend of mine wrote for them up through 08 and told me it was an unwritten rule that they DID NOT give out a 10 to anything other than a reissue. Even Merriweather Post Pavilion, the universally acclaimed mainstream breakthrough of Animal Collective, their favorite pet band, got a 9.6. Regardless of what you think of Pitchfork, the fact that MBDTF got the sacred double digit speaks to just how special undeniably great this album really is.

Also I agree the one flaw in this album is the stupidly blown out mastering, however the mixing is incredible, he uses empty spaces better than any charting pop act, so hopefully a more tastefully mixed edition will be used for the vinyl, and hopefully the coded download it comes with.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

trigger9631 posted:

What an amazing article, wow. I really liked the picture that showed all of the rules of the studio.

I hope they release a remastered version of the album.

NO HIPSTER HATS

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This album has me going back through the discography and paying attention to every note, and I'm really enjoying this. Other than "Workout Plan" (which was never quite as clever as it was intended to be) I don't know if there's a bad song on College Dropout.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Surfing gave you the links, but if you want the 2 bullet digest of it, those graphs show two problems.

1) If everything is loud, then nothing is loud. The album is a solid wall of sounds, all at the same volume. This makes it great for jogging, radio, casual listening, etc. But there are moments on any albums where a little bit of quiet might make a return to full volume more powerful.

2) It's possible to be too loud every time you see the waveform go completely to the edge is the media saying it can't handle any more. At that point, the music will actually distort, and that is not a good thing.

The idea (and this is objectively true) is that louder sounds better. Go ahead and try it sometime. Listen to a song at a normal volume, then halfway through the verse turn it up a touch. It'll sound "better" because you can hear everything clearer. So it follows that if loud sounds good, everyone tries to out-loud each other, which is the poorly written awkward midnight synopsis of what you can read in more detail in the Loudness War wikipedia entry.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

Ziir posted:

NO HIPSTER HATS

JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP SOMETIMES

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Just gonna stick this right about here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ct2z_kanye-west-hey-mama-live-grammy-200_music

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This album has me going back through the discography and paying attention to every note, and I'm really enjoying this. Other than "Workout Plan" (which was never quite as clever as it was intended to be) I don't know if there's a bad song on College Dropout.

Surfing gave you the links, but if you want the 2 bullet digest of it, those graphs show two problems.

1) If everything is loud, then nothing is loud. The album is a solid wall of sounds, all at the same volume. This makes it great for jogging, radio, casual listening, etc. But there are moments on any albums where a little bit of quiet might make a return to full volume more powerful.

2) It's possible to be too loud every time you see the waveform go completely to the edge is the media saying it can't handle any more. At that point, the music will actually distort, and that is not a good thing.

The idea (and this is objectively true) is that louder sounds better. Go ahead and try it sometime. Listen to a song at a normal volume, then halfway through the verse turn it up a touch. It'll sound "better" because you can hear everything clearer. So it follows that if loud sounds good, everyone tries to out-loud each other, which is the poorly written awkward midnight synopsis of what you can read in more detail in the Loudness War wikipedia entry.

I've noticed this with sound in the media in general. Didn't know there was a term for it and that it had been happening for years.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Sorry, I don't hear what everyone is finding so special about this album. It's perfectly good, about on par with Late Registration and Graduation, but it's not anywhere near great. College Dropout and 808s are the only two albums that I would consider using that particular adjective with. It's not the best hip-hop album this year thanks to Big Boi, and it's not even the best album this month thanks to Cee-Lo

The "all praise due to the most fly" line is fantastic though. Reminds me of his Malcolm X line a few years back.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

maxnmona posted:

Sorry, I don't hear what everyone is finding so special about this album. It's perfectly good, about on par with Late Registration and Graduation, but it's not anywhere near great. College Dropout and 808s are the only two albums that I would consider using that particular adjective with. It's not the best hip-hop album this year thanks to Big Boi, and it's not even the best album this month thanks to Cee-Lo

The "all praise due to the most fly" line is fantastic though. Reminds me of his Malcolm X line a few years back.

Cee-Lo? Really? I can kinda understand thinking Big Boi's album is better, but Cee-Lo's album is a pretty big stretch.

Also mods make NO HIPSTER HATS be an official NMD rule, tia.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Brett824 posted:

Cee-Lo? Really? I can kinda understand thinking Big Boi's album is better, but Cee-Lo's album is a pretty big stretch.

Also mods make NO HIPSTER HATS be an official NMD rule, tia.

Cee-Lo's album is fantastic. There's not a single weak track. I would easily put it above this album, which I would rate more as "good".

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

maxnmona posted:

Cee-Lo's album is fantastic. There's not a single weak track. I would easily put it above this album, which I would rate more as "good".

To each his own, I guess. I think all of Cee-Lo's music is pretty forgettable and I don't think I've actually listened to his album after my initial listen.

adjective_noun posted:

Also, anyone who says they aren't surprised that Pitchfork gave this album a 10 clearly never reads Pitchfork.

Or I'm just a bit perceptive and cocky. P4k has always loved Kanye (I think he got a 9.4? for LR) and this album is just made to get good reviews. It's certainly exceptional (getting a 10.0 from Pitchfork), but it's not mind blowing or anything. It just makes sense as the the album that P4k would give their first 10 to after 8 years.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 23, 2010

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Brett824 posted:

To each his own, I guess. I think all of Cee-Lo's music is pretty forgettable and I don't think I've actually listened to his album after my initial listen.

Yeah, at this level its entirely subjective. Neither album is doing anything new or innovative or hugely complex, so it comes down to taste. In this case, nothing Kanye is doing can top songs like these in my mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85fzs45XFwM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UwFRbJ0P_g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zldjiwOlaRg

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

For those in the NYC area, Kanye is performing at Bowery Ballroom tonight and tickets go on sale at noon. I checked Ticketmaster and they're priced at $100, not including fees.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

maxnmona posted:

Yeah, at this level its entirely subjective. Neither album is doing anything new or innovative or hugely complex, so it comes down to taste. In this case, nothing Kanye is doing can top songs like these in my mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85fzs45XFwM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UwFRbJ0P_g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zldjiwOlaRg

To be honest, I think Cee-Lo would be surprised to hear you say that. I only listened to "Bright Light Bigger City," but it doesn't even sound as though he's trying for something as ambitious as Kanye's album. Not that that's a slight: maybe Cee-Lo is more consistently great across the entire album, but it doesn't sound like he's aiming for the same kind of grand statement.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

If Kanye was going for a grand statement with this album, then on that front I would rate it as a complete failure. There is nothing especially profound here, just fun production and the occasional clever one liner.

To me, both albums have the same intent: to be fun and catchy pop albums. I think Cee-Lo does a much better job with that.

interpunct posted:

For those in the NYC area, Kanye is performing at Bowery Ballroom tonight and tickets go on sale at noon. I checked Ticketmaster and they're priced at $100, not including fees.

Wow, Bowery Ballroom is really really small for someone like Kanye. No wonder tickets are so much.

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 23, 2010

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah, doesn't seem much point in discussing the point if all you're hearing is "fun production and the occasional clever one liner." Whether you think he succeeded or not, an objective look at the lead up to this album contradicts the notion that this is just supposed to be a fun pop album.

Anyway, Nathan Rabin at the A.V. Club has given both an A-. I think it was intentional that the same person did both reviews:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/kanye-west-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy,48117/

http://www.avclub.com/articles/cee-lo-green-the-lady-killer,47733/

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

maxnmona posted:

If Kanye was going for a grand statement with this album, then on that front I would rate it as a complete failure. There is nothing especially profound here, just fun production and the occasional clever one liner.

To me, both albums have the same intent: to be fun and catchy pop albums. I think Cee-Lo does a much better job with that.

Wow, Bowery Ballroom is really really small for someone like Kanye. No wonder tickets are so much.

Did you even see "Runaway" the movie?

I think part of the interesting element of this is the intensely personal element we get from Kanye's music. This is the first CD that we're hearing from him since he was chased out of America. Comparing this to other rap albums alone, the arrangement - both in terms of individual track arrangements and in respect to the album as a whole, this is much more creative and innovative than the traditional verse + chorus + verse + chorus that we get from most rappers. "Lost in the World" is definitely not like any other rap song we've heard, at least, not since Bring Me Down. "All of the Lights" has featured on it enough people for it to qualify as this decade's "We Are the World." To have a three-plus minute distorted vocal solo on "Runaway" is pretty out there.

Even if you take the album concept alone, of this being Kanye's "Beautiful/Dark/Twisted" Fantasy, this definitely is more ambitious than Cee-Lo's album.

I mean, really, if you didn't like Kanye to begin with, then I could understand not liking this, maybe.

Personally, if Kanye doesn't win any Grammy's from this, then he might never win one.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I did see Runaway. It was hilarious (I hope intentionally so, but it's hard to tell with Kanye).

Kanye was not chased out of America. People thought that something he did at an awards shows was stupid, he's not exactly a martyr outside of his imagination and apparently the mythology some of you are building up in your heads.

I do like Kanye. And I like the album, pretty much. But you're ascribing more weight to a pop record than it can possibly take. It's a little weird.

Also if you think this album is musically innovative, then I don't know what to tell you except maybe listen to more music. The post above this is just reaching to the point of absurdity.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

maxnmona posted:

I did see Runaway. It was hilarious (I hope intentionally so, but it's hard to tell with Kanye).

Kanye was not chased out of America. People thought that something he did at an awards shows was stupid, he's not exactly a martyr outside of his imagination and apparently the mythology some of you are building up in your heads.

I do like Kanye. And I like the album, pretty much. But you're ascribing more weight to a pop record than it can possibly take. It's a little weird.

Also if you think this album is musically innovative, then I don't know what to tell you except maybe listen to more music. The post above this is just reaching to the point of absurdity.

"listen to more music." Okay. I wouldn't go around making blind accusations about how much music people listen to in order to prove your point.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I want Kanye to tour for this album, but I know its going to be a lot of money for good tickets :(. $100 for Bowery room tonight? drat

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Surfingelectrode posted:

That's what happens when you have Vlado Meller master your album.

Monster:

This is what the actual album sounds like? I noticed a lot of clipping, but I thought I just got a bad rip. What a disappointment.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

maxnmona posted:

There's no reason for me to continue this discussion, but it really sounds as though you're conflating whether the effort was successful with whether an effort was made.

Whether you think that he is justified in feeling the way he feels, it's pretty clear that the artist is working through what he perceives as a tremendous emotional burden. Whether you think he succeeded at it, he has made a clear effort (across multiple forms of media) to make some type of statement about his place in the world. It's going to fail if solely judged as a "fun-pop" album, because that's not what it is: though there are several songs that stand alone as amazing pop singles, it's clear he wasn't trying to create "club-bangers" (based on Kanye's commercial history, it's not as though he couldn't if that was his intent).

tl,dr: Your subjective opinion on the album's qualities is valid, but you're basing it on an objectively incorrect view of the album's origin and intent.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

maxnmona posted:

Neither album is doing anything new or innovative or hugely complex, so it comes down to taste.
I've seen many hip-hop heads at other forums say it's "groundbreaking", fwiw

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 23, 2010

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

What, specifically, is groundbreaking or innovative? Those terms are overused to the point of losing their meaning because certain types of music fans can't seem to like an album unless they think it's doing something no one else has done before (almost no albums, even the great ones, have ever actually done something no one else has done before).

Can't people think something is good or even great without trying to paste silly terms like "groundbreaking" on something that is manifestly not?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I'm paying a bunch of money to try to get these tickets and to change my flight to be earlier. I am officially crazy. Kanye has made be do an insane thing.

e: fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk I didn't get tickets. Fuckkkk.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 23, 2010

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

maxnmona posted:

What, specifically, is groundbreaking or innovative? Those terms are overused to the point of losing their meaning because certain types of music fans can't seem to like an album unless they think it's doing something no one else has done before (almost no albums, even the great ones, have ever actually done something no one else has done before).
Guess I'll let their reviews speak for themselves:
http://rateyourmusic.com/review?id=33683538
http://rateyourmusic.com/review?id=33694520
I'm not saying anything. But there you have it.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Runaway: The first vocoded voice solo I've ever heard on a rap album. It's almost my single favorite moment.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I'm disappointed with the album mix of Runaway. I think he did way too much with the "Who got ya?" backing samples and filled in some of the awesome space that was filled with piano and strings on the pre-album mix. I get what he's trying to do with the autotune solo, but it sounds kind of out of place with the piano and strings. Plus it clips like crazy.

Still, that's my biggest complaint and that should say something. This is an amazing album and is probably one of the best hip hop albums released in the past 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nicki Minaj's verse on Monster is loving insane

• Locked thread