Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Shenadigins posted:

This might be more suited to a computer sub-forum, but my internet shits itself every time I load a page with too many images, or watch a video on some sites. It used to be just dailymotion, now that's ok, but now it's vimeo. It loads about 20% of it then the internet drops out. Similar with a page of pictures, it will load parts of most of them and then just die. I have to go downstairs and unplug the modem thing to reset it then plug it back in and it's a pain in the arse.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to fix it?

are you low on hard drive space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Sawchuk
Jul 13, 2001
Does the term "box office gross" refer to how much a studio makes from a movie, or is this how much the studio and theaters combined made from ticket sales? For example, Avatar made over $2.7 billion worldwide, but did the studio actually get all of this? And can anyone give me a rough estimate of what percentage of money made from ticket sales goes to theaters and how much the studios get? The numbers I get from Google vary widely.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

kapalama posted:

How is not legal is a better question.

You are not paying any taxes, the shop is paying taxes. Sales tax is figured on the business license holders gross receipts:

Shop report sales of $100.00. The taxing authority expects 7% of gross receipts, or $7.00. If a shop charges you a POS sales tax of 7% they lose money, because if they do not collect $7.00 on a $93.00 sale. ($93.00* 7%= $6.51). A smart business claims as much as possible of the purchase price is tax. But, in fact, the taxing authority just makes a claim against gross receipts. In the case of a 7% gross receipts tax, the retailer must charge a POS sales tax of 7.5% or he will lose money. ($93.00 * 7.5%= $7.00 roughly).

In some locales the taxing authority back figures the difference, so that the POS tax can look like a flat percentage. In many places they do not. Again either way, the tax is collected by the taxing authority from the retailer at a flat percentage of gross receipts.

In most if not all states, it is illegal for a store to charge you more in sales tax then the rates set by the state and any lower-level government.

Not to mention that certain individuals and individuals purchasing for certain groups are fully exempt from sales tax and stores do not have to pay sales tax on receipts from those people.

Gus Sawchuk posted:

Does the term "box office gross" refer to how much a studio makes from a movie, or is this how much the studio and theaters combined made from ticket sales? For example, Avatar made over $2.7 billion worldwide, but did the studio actually get all of this? And can anyone give me a rough estimate of what percentage of money made from ticket sales goes to theaters and how much the studios get? The numbers I get from Google vary widely.

Box office gross is simply all the tickets sold at whatever price they are. The movie studios demand a lot of the ticket price go to them, which is why theaters keep raising ticket prices and concession stand prices, simply to be able to afford to stay open.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
With YouTube, is there a way that I can pick a video at random from a user's channel? I want to have a video on the front page of a website, but I want it to be different when the user refreshes / visits another time.

It doesn't have to be sequential, or random so long as its not always the same video.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even if Youtube won't do that itself, it's trivial to do with Javascript or PHP or whatever backend the site is using.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

gwar3k1 posted:

With YouTube, is there a way that I can pick a video at random from a user's channel? I want to have a video on the front page of a website, but I want it to be different when the user refreshes / visits another time.

It doesn't have to be sequential, or random so long as its not always the same video.

http://monkeytooth.net/2010/08/display-random-youtube-videos-on-your-site-or-blog-with-php/

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Thanks both of you. Your suggestions appear to require a pre-known list and while that's not a problem, I'd prefer a solution that gets the video list from the user's channel.

I delved deeper into the documentation and it looks like I can do what I want with the Data API.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

madprocess posted:

In most if not all states, it is illegal for a store to charge you more in sales tax then the rates set by the state and any lower-level government.

Not all. Hawaii does not care about whether you charge tax. They just want their 4% of the gross. You can call it 50% tax, no tax, whatever, at the point of sale.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

How can I find which US states grant public access to voting histories?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

aude omnia posted:

How can I find which US states grant public access to voting histories?

Assuming you mean the voting histories in the legislature (because no state is allowed to keep a history of who private citizens vote for in elections) all of them are required to by federal law.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Im on US Airways somewhere over Missouri, dicking around on my iPhone and complementary wifi. When I go to maps, the gps puts me square center in Orlando International Airport. There's clearly no cell service, and I'm going too fast for gps to get a lock/traveling in a giant faraday cage where gps can't reach me. Why did google maps peg me in Orlando, Florida?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

935 posted:

Im on US Airways somewhere over Missouri, dicking around on my iPhone and complementary wifi. When I go to maps, the gps puts me square center in Orlando International Airport. There's clearly no cell service, and I'm going too fast for gps to get a lock/traveling in a giant faraday cage where gps can't reach me. Why did google maps peg me in Orlando, Florida?

The iPhone uses an augmented GPS service called Skyhook Wireless that guesses your position based on wifi networks it can see. The plane must have been in Orlando when its on-board network was registered in their database.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

madprocess posted:

Assuming you mean the voting histories in the legislature (because no state is allowed to keep a history of who private citizens vote for in elections) all of them are required to by federal law.
No, I meant private citizens, and each state treats citizens' voting records differently. The answer is whovoted.net if you're interested.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Have there been any ask/tell threads in the past about becoming a real estate agent/broker? I'm debating taking classes for my license, but I'm curious about a first-hand perspective. I searched with no results, but it seems like it would have come up sometime.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Schweinhund posted:

are you low on hard drive space?

A little bit, I have 22 GB of 233GB available on my macbook pro, but I'm pretty sure it was happening when I had heaps more space.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Shenadigins posted:

A little bit, I have 22 GB of 233GB available on my macbook pro, but I'm pretty sure it was happening when I had heaps more space.

There's a forums here where people will help if they can just make sure to read the rules and use the template:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

Something to try is isolation:

Does it do it when your are not wireless and hard wired?
Does it do it when you are closer to the router?
Do you have other devices on the network that are wireless?

Etc.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Dumb questions about TSA screening for anyone who's been to the airport recently since I will be travelling for the holidays very soon:

I moved recently and the address on my I.D. is no longer my current address. If I bring a bank statement with my new address + bank card with my name on it is this okay?

I also have a titanium rod in my leg from a bad break I had a while ago. Is this going to ping and get me molested?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Why would the address on your ID matter?

Yes, expect "secondary screening". It shouldn't take more than a couple minutes. It's not a rare thing.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Why would the address on your ID matter?

Yes, expect "secondary screening". It shouldn't take more than a couple minutes. It's not a rare thing.

I don't know, honestly. Is the I.D. just something with my picture that the checkpoint people glance at? Expedia sent me some e-mail that made it sound like they were practically doing background checks for screeners when I purchased my ticket.

Edit: I guess I'm just being paranoid. Which is kind of ironic.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Woozy posted:

I don't know, honestly. Is the I.D. just something with my picture that the checkpoint people glance at? Expedia sent me some e-mail that made it sound like they were practically doing background checks for screeners when I purchased my ticket.

Yea, I've never heard of anything about your address being an issue. They do have to get thousands of people through. I wouldn't sweat anything unless you're typically an obnoxious rear end in a top hat when confronted by authority figures. ;)

(E; or look all terroristy :( )

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Yea, I've never heard of anything about your address being an issue. They do have to get thousands of people through. I wouldn't sweat anything unless you're typically an obnoxious rear end in a top hat when confronted by authority figures. ;)

(E; or look all terroristy :( )

That depends. I haven't been to an airport in a while. The bar part is after the security part right?

Edit: Thanks for the reply! :)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

baquerd posted:

netting no more than ~1" square per block
sonic solution b

Barometer posted:

ceramic Owls

kapalama posted:

sticks with shiny propellors on it

Thanks for all the suggestions, we'll be trying them out from least ugly to most obnoxious :)

favoritehello
Sep 17, 2010
I'm really bad at searching things in Google, so I've tried to answer my question but haven't had luck. I apologize in advance for being a complete moron.

How do I clear the search history on my computer? I'm NOT asking how to clear the internet search history, but rather the actual computer.

I did a couple searches for certain files I misplaced in my documents but being the OCD person I am, it bothers me that when I do other searches, the old ones show up. (It just looks sloppy that the previous searches are there from forever ago.)

If someone could explain how to do this, I would be very grateful.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Woozy posted:

Yeah, they don't care where the ID says you live. They look at you, look at your tickets, look at the ID to make sure it looks like you and the tickets are in your name, and shine a UV light on the ID to make sure it's an official one. Takes a couple of seconds.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I moved into my current apartment in May, with a four month lease (I am a student). The landlord said that if I wanted to continue living there after the four months were up, I would have to sign an eight month lease. I said that's fine & and that I would find a subletter.

The four months came and went, but the landlord never got me to sign a new lease. However, he seems to think I'm in an eight month commitment and wants me to find a subletter. I've been looking for one, but I haven't found one yet, and I intend(ed) to move out at the end of December.

If I haven't found a subletter by then, am I screwed because of some sort of verbal contract (don't know how those work), or is the landlord screwed because I never actually signed an eight month commitment?

Four months rent is more than I'm willing to pay to be a nice guy.

Edit:
I should clarify that the Ontario renters rights guide says that because my initial lease expired, and I never physically signed a new lease, I'm technically month-to-month. However, because the landlord told me I had to agree to an eight month commitment if I stayed past August, I'm not sure if I'm on the hook or not.

just another fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 23, 2010

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
You may get a more detailed response here. However, with my somewhat limited law knowledge, I can tell you that you've offered him consideration and could be under enforceable contract. However, I don't know Canadian law at all and yeah go ask in that other thread.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 23, 2010

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

favoritehello posted:

I'm really bad at searching things in Google, so I've tried to answer my question but haven't had luck. I apologize in advance for being a complete moron.

How do I clear the search history on my computer? I'm NOT asking how to clear the internet search history, but rather the actual computer.

I did a couple searches for certain files I misplaced in my documents but being the OCD person I am, it bothers me that when I do other searches, the old ones show up. (It just looks sloppy that the previous searches are there from forever ago.)

If someone could explain how to do this, I would be very grateful.

You didn't mention your OS, but if you're on Windows 7 you can follow these steps.

Maybe something like CCleaner would help as well.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

the balloon hoax posted:

I moved into my current apartment in May, with a four month lease (I am a student). The landlord said that if I wanted to continue living there after the four months were up, I would have to sign an eight month lease. I said that's fine & and that I would find a subletter.

The four months came and went, but the landlord never got me to sign a new lease. However, he seems to think I'm in an eight month commitment and wants me to find a subletter. I've been looking for one, but I haven't found one yet, and I intend(ed) to move out at the end of December.

If I haven't found a subletter by then, am I screwed because of some sort of verbal contract (don't know how those work), or is the landlord screwed because I never actually signed an eight month commitment?

Four months rent is more than I'm willing to pay to be a nice guy.

Edit:
I should clarify that the Ontario renters rights guide says that because my initial lease expired, and I never physically signed a new lease, I'm technically month-to-month. However, because the landlord told me I had to agree to an eight month commitment if I stayed past August, I'm not sure if I'm on the hook or not.

IANAL, but let's call it, "You agreed to sign an 8-month lease when your 4-month lease expired." That is how you understood your verbal agreement. He presented you with no such lease, so you assumed that he had changed his mind. I'd assume that verbal agreements aren't of much use in landlord/tenant disputes; that's why they make you sign a lease.

Fake-Edit:
That Wikipedia article makes it sound like it would be legally binding if Balloon Hoax had agreed to sign a new contract as part of his contract he'd be in trouble.
When did you agree to sign the new lease; before or after the 4-month lease was signed?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Gravity Pike posted:

When did you agree to sign the new lease; before or after the 4-month lease was signed?

When I signed my lease in May he said that, if I wanted to renew my lease in September, then it would have to be an eight month lease, and that I did not have to decide until mid-summer. He asked me to confirm if I was staying around the end of July, which I did, but he never provided another rental contract to sign, and I never thought much of it because I was busy with work & school.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

While ago I ripped a music CD using Media Player for a friend whose drive was broked. Since he was gonna put it straight on his USB I just saved it to my desktop. Dude went away and took the CD with him, but now every time I start up Media Player that same folder with the same music files reappears on my desktop. It is annoying. How can I make it not do that? I don't even like the music.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
It is winter here, and I have an old house. I get a lot of condensation on the inside of my windows, to the point that it starts dripping down the walls and poo poo. I'm worried about mold happening or causing electrical problems, so is there anything I can do to prevent/reduce this, short of installing double-pane windows?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

the balloon hoax posted:

When I signed my lease in May he said that, if I wanted to renew my lease in September, then it would have to be an eight month lease, and that I did not have to decide until mid-summer. He asked me to confirm if I was staying around the end of July, which I did, but he never provided another rental contract to sign, and I never thought much of it because I was busy with work & school.

Is there any wording in the lease that explains this situation in writing?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

stubblyhead posted:

It is winter here, and I have an old house. I get a lot of condensation on the inside of my windows, to the point that it starts dripping down the walls and poo poo. I'm worried about mold happening or causing electrical problems, so is there anything I can do to prevent/reduce this, short of installing double-pane windows?

Some people use dehumidifiers for this. There are also systems that essentially use a fancy Cling-Wrap to turn windows into faux dual pane windows if you want to skip the expensive dual pane windows. For another cheaper alternative that has other benefits, storm window can help.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 23, 2010

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kapalama posted:

Some people use dehumidifiers for this. There are also systems that essentially use a fancy Cling-Wrap to turn windows into faux dual pane windows if you want to skip the expensive dual pane windows. For another cheaper alternative that has other benefits, storm window can help.

Yeah, we have a dehumidifier, but it just can't keep up with the condensation. I thought about the film stuff too, but I wasn't sure if that would help any.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
When checking out of a hotel a couple of days ago, I accidentally left some dresses in the closet. When I called the hotel about six hours after checking out, they said they were not there, and the next morning told me the cleaning staff hadn't found anything. What recourse do I have, because someone clearly stole the dresses?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Nothing really other than being a persistent pain in the rear end, which can work wonders.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

Golbez posted:

When checking out of a hotel a couple of days ago, I accidentally left some dresses in the closet. When I called the hotel about six hours after checking out, they said they were not there, and the next morning told me the cleaning staff hadn't found anything. What recourse do I have, because someone clearly stole the dresses?

Very little, sadly. Most hotels have something on the registration card (the dealybob you sign when you check in) that says very explicitly "We aren't responsible for your things or stuff", since from their point of view they have nearly no way to know if you're lying or the staff is. If you are very persistent and/or a high-ranking member of whatever customer reward program they offer, you might receive a free night or a gift certificate or something similar, but that's pretty much the best case scenario.
(This is at least accurate at Holiday Inn Expresses and similar hotels, if it was a very fancy resort place it might be different?)

Sorry to hear about yo' dresses, though.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Golbez posted:

What recourse do I have, because someone clearly stole the dresses?

Sorry about losing stuff, but that is a hilariously bizarre way of looking at it.

You leave possessions behind in a place where you have signed a release stating that left items will be disposed of, and you call it 'stealing'? There is a reason why people who travel always put everything in the car, and do a walkthrough.

When you clean hotel rooms, the last thing you want is other people's used clothing. Used clothing just gets thrown out, because playing with other people's semen stained clothes is just disgusting. You simply think of left clothing as one more thing to be thrown out. Of course the cleaning staff did not find it, any more than they would have found your used tissues in the trach can.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 24, 2010

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

I don't know about you, but I personally don't spray ejaculate all over my clothing when I'm in a hotel room or in any other scenario for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I don't know about you, but I personally don't spray ejaculate all over my clothing when I'm in a hotel room or in any other scenario for that matter.

Clearly you aren't going to the right hotels.