Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

knees of putty: Last year at Marienbad is my favourite of your list, so that's what you get. You should be aware that it has little to do stylistically with the films generally considered to be part of the French New Wave.

Those two mixed reviews of Sullivan's Travels make me sad, it's such a great film. The mix of comedy and serious themes is a bit jarring at times and the ending bugged me the first time too, but Sturges is pushing conventions and expectations all the way through the film and every time I watch it I appreciate it more. Maybe some day I'll get around to that Sturges thread and write many words on the subject.

Fantomas was a fun serial, but, drat, five hours is a long running time for it. While it still works on its own merits nearly a century later, its impact on an audience is certainly diminished by the intervening developments in pretty much all aspects of the medium. Even compared to Les Vampires it's less dynamic, has less developed and interesting characters and generally spends more time on even the simplest things. While I think even someone who hasn't seen a silent film could be engaged by Les Vampires I don't think the same is true of Fantomas, it requires much more acceptance of its limitations and an understanding that most of its twists will not be shocking to a modern audience. All that negativity aside, I really did enjoy it. The underlying story is very good and while many of the twists are predictable they're still pretty well executed. The performances are pretty good for an early silent and, while the static camera is tiring, the shots are well selected and the tinting works well to convey mood.

Updated list:
Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

Sans toit ni loi I bought the Criterion Varda boxset the week it came out, all excited after loving Cleo from 5 to 7 and then proceeded to not watch any of it.

Vidas Secas Another highly regarded film I keep putting off because I fear it's really depressing.

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

<---> I may not like Wavelength but I'm willing to give this a shot based on the title alone.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue Next up from directors I like but haven't seen in a while, Peckinpah.

Underworld (1927) This is considered a pretty seminal crime film and von Sternberg's direction is always enjoyable.

Ballad of Narayama Imamura, another director I've seen shamefully little from.

This Sporting Life Only seen If... from Lindsay Anderson, liked it quite a bit.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Les Vampires is better for sure but Les Vampires is the loving besttttt. The trick to Fantomas, and serials in general, is to watch it over a long period of time. Fantomas took me like a month to finish and I really dug the pacing as a result.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Les Vampires is better for sure but Les Vampires is the loving besttttt. The trick to Fantomas, and serials in general, is to watch it over a long period of time. Fantomas took me like a month to finish and I really dug the pacing as a result.

Yeah, I really want to watch Judex, because the remake is fantastic and I can see it working really well, but when I do I'm going to watch it at least over the span of a week.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

You ever get on any of the Republic serials from the 40s? Those can be a lot of fun.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Oh, I forgot:

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse was a bit long, but overall very good. Ingram's editing is much cleaner than Griffiths, and his compositions are usually much more striking. The battle scenes were excellent - premonitions of Potemkin in the editing. I couldn't really surrender myself to the love story, though - this is sort of a problem with very early 20s/late teens movies (Broken Blossoms and True-Heart Susie were the same way). Glad I watched it, but I can't really understand why it was one of the top-grossing silent films - I guess simple timeliness. Can't hate on a movie with a monkey butler. Oh, and the music in the TCM restoration was fantastic! Solid 8.5/10

I also watched Berlin Express. The story was slight, but it was visually stunning (I feel like I'm saying this a lot these days - too many second-tier noir). The climax was masterfully done and everything on the train was Hitchcock-good. Tourneur was an absolute master at moody images. 7/10

PA, I really want to give you <---> since this thread made me watch Wavelength - Snow for Snow, motherfuckers - but I'm going to try to not be a prick and give you The Ballad of Cable Hogue.

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Veronika Voss Been too long away from Fassbinder.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Docks of New York More like the cocks of New York, right guys?

Vivre sa vie I just really like the DVD cover. I really like some Godard and want to straight-up murder him other times (Made in USA).

Yesterday Girl Kluge is my biggest gap in the German New Wave.

The American Friend I've never gone deep enough into the Wenders catalog.

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

3 Women But I never saw 1 and 2!!!!

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10)

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
penismightier, go with 3 Women because of Altman. Don't worry, you don't need to see the first two to get what's going on.

Sherman's March was interesting. A documentarian, Ross McElwee, plans on following Sherman's path of destruction through the South, but instead visits his ex-girlfriends in an attempt to re-evaluate or re-kindle their relationships. An interesting concept, but the movie was too long and boring. It was difficult to see what attracted these women to Ross because his personality was so dull. 3.5/5

1. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu:
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.

2. Toy Story 2:
2. Sherman's March
2. Grizzly Man
Another doc that's supposed to be good, but the guy just seems really annoying. It's Herzog so I'm sure I'll like it.

3. Lawrence of Arabia
3. His Girl Friday
I've owned this for a long time, but just never had the inclination to watch it.

4. M:
Peter Lorre is always interesting to listen to.

5. Lost Highway:
I love Mulholland Drive, but I've heard that this isn't nearly as good.

6. Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?

7. Downfall:
Just haven't gotten around to it.

8. The Battle of Algiers
8. A Shot in the Dark:
I didn't like The Pink Panther, but I've heard that this is much, much better.

9. La Dolce Vita
I like 8 1/2, but I'm not sure if this would be worth the running time.

10. Europa:
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

]It was difficult to see what attracted these women to Ross because his personality was so dull.

You know, that always bugged me too. I love Sherman's March, but how the gently caress is he pulling all those women? He's a class-A weirdie.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
I have to assume that there was a lot of romancing going on off camera. A few people did make comments about how he used the camera as security and hid behind it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

His Girl Friday for TenSpadesBeTrump

The Ballad of Cable Hogue is about as deeply flawed as its main character and its director, but I loving loved it anyway. I actually found the incongruous tone, odd bits of comedy mixed with lighthearted moments and vicious cruelty, rather endearing as it makes it all feel very human and sincere. While darkness looms throughout the film it doesn't envelop it and there are stretches where, just like the characters, you forget the harsh setting. Even the ending is just right, the perfect culmination of what precedes it and ultimately the only way the film could end. I can't believe I waited so long to watch this. Since David Warner is the forum's actor crush du jour you should all know he's got a spectacular supporting role in this.

Updated list:
Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

Sans toit ni loi I bought the Criterion Varda boxset the week it came out, all excited after loving Cleo from 5 to 7 and then proceeded to not watch any of it.

Vidas Secas Another highly regarded film I keep putting off because I fear it's really depressing.

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

<---> I may not like Wavelength but I'm willing to give this a shot based on the title alone.

Underworld (1927) This is considered a pretty seminal crime film and von Sternberg's direction is always enjoyable.

The Saragossa Manuscript I hear this is really good.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10

penismightier posted:

You ever get on any of the Republic serials from the 40s? Those can be a lot of fun.
The two Feuillade serials are the only ones I've ever seen. Are there any you'd recommend?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Peaceful Anarchy, any movie named <---> is definitely something I want to know more about. Tell us how it is.

The Maltese Falcon was pretty drat good. Took a bit to get into it but once I did I really loved how everything wrapped up. Bogart is brilliant. 8/10

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? - This one doesn't get mentioned a lot but is supposed to be a classic. Willing to give it a watch and it's on Netflix instant.

#15 The Godfather - It's on Netflix instant now, I really have no excuse for this one.

#16 Bonnie & Clyde - I bought this one awhile back and just haven't watched it.

#17 Seven Samurai - I enjoyed Rashomon and for a film with such praise I should probably watch it. The run time was a little off putting but I do want to see it.

#18 M - I've never seen a Lang film before and I'm not sure whether I should start here or with Metropolis. However, I've had an interest in seeing this one for awhile and I do love Peter Lorre.

#19 Annie Hall - Haven't seen a Woody Allen film and I need to add something more lighthearted to the list.

#20 Terminator 2: Judgment Day - My nerd cred is suffering.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The two Feuillade serials are the only ones I've ever seen. Are there any you'd recommend?

I really like The Adventures of Captain Marvel and Manhunt of Mystery Island. Flash Gordon is obviously a must as well. I'm in the middle of The Phantom right now, which is shaping up nicely.

The thing about them is that the first chapter is usually twice as long as all the subsequent ones, so you just gotta sorta sit tight for the first 15 or so. The chapters are all front and backloaded pretty heavy, so you're pretty much guaranteed a good set piece every twenty minutes or so. Manhunt of Mystery Island has one of my all-time favorite fistfights.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TrixRabbi, you get the fantastic Annie Hall.

My first post in this thread, but it's about time I got to watching more of what I have lying around.

01) Grand Illusion - One of two absolute classics by Renoir that I really need to see.
02) The Mirror - Going through Tarkovsky films in order, this is next on the list.
03) La Dolce Vita - Seen and loved 8 1/2, and this is his next most celebrated.
04) Goodfellas - Not reeally that big on Scorsese from what I've seen so far, but this could change that!
05) Vertigo - It's #2 on the TSP top 1000 and I still haven't seen it.
06) Chinatown - I like noir, and I've yet to see any Polanski.
07) Boogie Nights - Managed to watch PTA's films in reverse order and this is next. From what I've heard it sounds like I'll love it.
08) Underground - I have a friend who really loves this, and Kusturica seems like an interesting director.
09) Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Ben Braddock's stupid personality ruined The Graduate for me, so hopefully this will fare better. Sounds like my type of thing.
10) A Man Escaped - Will be my first Bresson, and this is arguably one of his most celebrated.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

Bown posted:

06) Chinatown - I like noir, and I've yet to see any Polanski.

This is Polanski's best film and my favorite noir, so do this one.

So I misread Flippycunt's post and watched The Kingdom, then quickly realized I'd made a mistake and watched Adventures of Robin Hood.

The Kingdom is a very strange ride which reminds me a lot of Lynch's Eraserhead and Kubrick's The Shining, two films which I love. I didn't care for this quite as much as those, as it's a long slog and I think slightly lesser than these, but it's still quite strong and features some very frightening scenes. I can't say that I'll watch it again, but I liked it.

Adventures of Robin Hood, on the other hand, is pure fun. Errol Flynn is really enjoyable in the lead role, and I like the rest of the cast as well. The fights are terrific, and it has some of the most gorgeous Technicolor I've ever seen. I will watch this again.

Updated list:

1. La Dolce Vita- I haven’t seen enough Fellini

2. Cries and Whispers- I’ve seen a good handful of Bergman (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Scenes from a Marriage), but I could always use an excuse to watch more.

3. Shane- I don’t know much aside from that iconic ending scene.

4. The Big Parade- I own it on video, so watching would be easy, but…

5. Little Caesar- Let’s get a classic gangster movie in here.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Orpheus- I really don’t know that much about this one other than that it was directed by Jean Cocteau and it’s supposed to be great. I own it on VHS.

8. Swimming to Cambodia- I like me some Jonathan Demme and own this on video but haven’t watched it yet.

9. Hearts of Darkness- Apocalypse Now is one of my all time favorite films, so why I haven’t see this is beyond me.

10. Sherlock, Jr.- Here’s another Buster Keaton I haven’t seen that’s probably hilarious.

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment, The Last Waltz, City Lights, Modern Times, Broken Blossoms, The Gold Rush, The General, Grave of the Fireflies, Red River, Koyaanisqatsi, American Graffiti, The Kingdom, Adventures of Robin Hood

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

meanmikhail, you get La Dolce Vita.

Managed to get Annie Hall in today. It was great, definitely one of the best sculpted comedies I've seen. 8/10

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? - This one doesn't get mentioned a lot but is supposed to be a classic. Willing to give it a watch and it's on Netflix instant.

#15 The Godfather - It's on Netflix instant now, I really have no excuse for this one.

#17 Seven Samurai - I enjoyed Rashomon and for a film with such praise I should probably watch it. The run time was a little off putting but I do want to see it.

#18 M - I've never seen a Lang film before and I'm not sure whether I should start here or with Metropolis. However, I've had an interest in seeing this one for awhile and I do love Peter Lorre.

#21 The Seventh Seal - Been meaning to start with Bergman for awhile. Also, I want to know how that chess game ends.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Oooh you motherfucker I don't have enough time to get 3 Women in tonight but I'm itching to make you watch Terminator 2. You could be mine, TrixRabbi

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

penismightier posted:

Oooh you motherfucker I don't have enough time to get 3 Women in tonight but I'm itching to make you watch Terminator 2. You could be mine, TrixRabbi

I know now why you cry.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
TrixRabbi you get Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? because it doesn't get enough credit for how great it is.

His Girl Friday was very funny. I know it's been said many times before, but Grant and Russell are masters at fast talking at each other, and they bounce off each other perfectly. It dragged quite a bit in the middle when it focused on the killer, and when Grant wasn't on screen. 4/5

1. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu:
I saw bits of this a few years ago, and have been wanting to see the whole thing for a while.

2. Toy Story 2:
2. Sherman's March
2. Grizzly Man
Another doc that's supposed to be good, but the guy just seems really annoying. It's Herzog so I'm sure I'll like it.

3. Lawrence of Arabia
3. His Girl Friday
3. Last Year At Marienbad
Because I saw it on a bunch of other people's lists, and couldn't think of what else to add here.

4. M:
Peter Lorre is always interesting to listen to.

5. Lost Highway:
I love Mulholland Drive, but I've heard that this isn't nearly as good.

6. Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?

7. Downfall:
Just haven't gotten around to it.

8. The Battle of Algiers
8. A Shot in the Dark:
I didn't like The Pink Panther, but I've heard that this is much, much better.

9. La Dolce Vita
I like 8 1/2, but I'm not sure if this would be worth the running time.

10. Europa:
I've seen almost all of Lars von Trier's work besides The Idiots (unfortunately not available on Netflix) and this.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

I wouldn't be put off by that if I were you, you don't have to like him to like the movie.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

We meet again TenSpadesBeTrump, something different this time, Last Year At Marienbad.

<---> really is a cool, and appropriate, title, but I really ought to know by now that watching an experimental film based on a title alone is not a good idea. Even so, this wasn't too bad, though it wasn't particularly good either. A camera pans back and forth at varying speeds for about 45 minutes, occasionally some mundane stuff happens on screen. I couldn't make much connection between what happens on screen and when the camera decides to speed up or slow down, and there were some cuts that I found really abrupt and which broke any flow that was occasionally created. It was an interesting experiment though, and I let my mind wander into how cuts and pans are used in film so it succeeded in something. I also wondered whether those whip pans caused motion sickness to anyone watching it in a theatre. Anyway, certainly a better experience than Wavelength, and it even got a verbal reaction out of me at about the half hour mark when something unexpected that I don't want to spoil happened, but I'd still have a hard time recommending it.

Updated list:

The Saragossa Manuscript I hear this is really good.

The Devil and Daniel Webster This sounds cool like an interesting film.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Devil and Daniel Webster This sounds cool like an interesting film.

This. Near the end, it brought back a fond memory of when Treehouse of Horrors episodes were good.

Anatomy of A Murder - When I first started it, I saw the running time and let out a sigh. I plowed through it and had to stop with 30 minutes left even though I still wanted to finish it. When a movie is nearly 3 hours long and you never think about the time, that's a good sign.

I was a little worried that at the end it'd do the thing where you find out he did do it, like a few similar movies did.

1. Satya - I know absolutely nothing about this, other than it's Indian.
2. Broken Blossoms - Some silent movie I've never, ever, heard of.
3. Grease - Never really seemed like my kind of thing.
4. Coraline - I bought this on blu-ray when it came out. I've seen a little bit here and there from when the kids watched it but never sat down with it.
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - No clue about this movie.
6. Sophie's Choice - Never heard of it but it's one of the last 5 to do on my AFI's 100 movies list.
7. Walk The Line - Never got excited to see this even though I heard it's good.
8. Hellboy II: The Golden Army - First one was alright. Just never got around to watching this.
9. Dirty Harry - I'm 33 and never seen this. I never cared for Eastwood or Stallone as a kid but times have changed, I just haven't seen most of the movies yet.
10. The Last Emperor - I think I saw part of this a long time ago and wanted to come back and watch it in full

Seen: The Wrestler, Witness for the Prosecution, White Heat, The Kid, Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925), Pushpak, Juno, The Right Stuff, Anatomy of A Murder

Schmuck of Ages
Dec 18, 2009
chemosh6969, you get Sophie's Choice, because I greatly appreciate the value in trying to finish near-autistic lists.

I had to get in on this, so here's my shameful selection:

01. Harvey - One of those "you haven't seen this?!" type of films, I think.
02. Scarface (Howard Hawks version) - I felt the remake was kinda overrated and boring, so I want to see how the original fares against it.
03. Red Psalm - A while ago I became hugely interested in Jancso and grabbed about five of his films but I've only watched one of them since. I am a fool.
04. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Powell & Pressburger rule.
05. Almanac of Fall - I've done the "big" Tarrs now, so I want to plow through the rest of his filmography if I can.
06. La Chienne - There's a load of Renoirs that I haven't seen, embarrassingly enough. No real excuse either.
07. Orpheus - Slightly wary because Cocteau seems a bit of a git, but I did really like La Belle et la Bete so who knows?
08. The Wild Bunch - Never seen a Peckinpah.
09. Z - I tried to watch this once with a headache, stupidly. I don't have one now so the time may be right to try it again.
10. Day for Night - There's a load of Truffauts I haven't seen that I feel guilty about, but this is the biggest one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Schmuck, you can have Almanac of Fall, because Bela Tarr is great!

Chinatown was good, but I wasn't especially huge on it. I would have liked it to be more stylised, and it only started really gripping me towards the end of the second act. Fantastically bleak ending, though, and the screenplay is very, very good.

01) Grand Illusion - One of two absolute classics by Renoir that I really need to see.
02) The Mirror - Going through Tarkovsky films in order, this is next on the list.
04) Goodfellas - Not reeally that big on Scorsese from what I've seen so far, but this could change that!
06) City Lights - Looks like a fun place to start with Chaplin.
07) Boogie Nights - Managed to watch PTA's films in reverse order and this is next. From what I've heard it sounds like I'll love it.
08) Underground - I have a friend who really loves this, and Kusturica seems like an interesting director.
09) Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Ben Braddock's stupid personality ruined The Graduate for me, so hopefully this will fare better. Sounds like my type of thing.
10) A Man Escaped - Will be my first Bresson, and this is arguably one of his most celebrated.

Seen: Chinatown

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Bown, give Scorsese another shot and try Goodfellas. (By the way, have you seen Taxi Driver? Easily his best in my opinion.)

Just finished Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and that was a crazy movie. Quite good although I had some trouble getting into it at first. 8/10

#21 The Seventh Seal - Been meaning to start with Bergman for awhile. Also, I want to know how that chess game ends.

#22 Casablanca - Time to admit I haven't seen this one. Watching Bogart in The Maltese Falcon reminded me.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 23, 2010

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

#22 Casablanca - Time to admit I haven't seen this one. Watching Bogart in The Maltese Falcon reminded me.

Casablanca for you.

Watched The Third Man last night and boy did it live up to the hype. I'm very glad I managed to pick up the Criterion blu ray before it went out of print. It's hard for me to find any fault so far with this one and the experience of watching it was fantastic. The characters, mood, setting, visuals and everything were just spot on. I look forward to revisiting this one many times in the future.

Updated list:

L'Age D'Or - I've seen quite a bit of Bunuel, but not this. Caught Un Chien Andalou on Netflix Instant the other day and enjoyed it so this made the list.

Wild Strawberries - I need more Bergman in my life.

Faces - Having only seen A Woman Under the Influence, I'm interested in watching more Cassavetes

Hoop Dreams - I should keep a slot on here for documentaries and this one was first on my netflix queue.

Battleship Potemkin - I need to watch more silents.

Ikiru - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen this one yet. It's been recommended to me many times.

A Woman is a Woman - More Godard, this one's been on the Netflix queue forever.

The Trial - Haven't seen too much of Welles and this one really interests me as I've read the book.

Tokyo Story - I've been meaning to check out some Ozu for a while.

Inland Empire - I like Lynch quite a bit, but I've been putting this one off for a while.

Finally Watched: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Raging Bull, Ben-Hur(1959), Taxi Driver, Andrei Rublev, Breathless, 8 1/2, The Third Man

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

FancyMike posted:

Ikiru - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen this one yet. It's been recommended to me many times.

I had fun with this. More than I expected to going into it.

Sophie's Choice - Not amazing, not bad but nothing I'd want to watch again. It's a nice change of pace to see the dude from Ghostbusters II in something else than the last 50 times I've seen him when Comedy Central would constantly air Ghostbusters II.

1. Satya - I know absolutely nothing about this, other than it's Indian.
2. Broken Blossoms - Some silent movie I've never, ever, heard of.
3. Grease - Never really seemed like my kind of thing.
4. Coraline - I bought this on blu-ray when it came out. I've seen a little bit here and there from when the kids watched it but never sat down with it.
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - No clue about this movie.
6. Bullitt - Bought the blu-ray last year, I think, and there it sits next to me since it came home with me.
7. Walk The Line - Never got excited to see this even though I heard it's good.
8. Hellboy II: The Golden Army - First one was alright. Just never got around to watching this.
9. Dirty Harry - I'm 33 and never seen this. I never cared for Eastwood or Stallone as a kid but times have changed, I just haven't seen most of the movies yet.
10. The Last Emperor - I think I saw part of this a long time ago and wanted to come back and watch it in full

Seen: The Wrestler, Witness for the Prosecution, White Heat, The Kid, Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925), Pushpak, Juno, The Right Stuff, Anatomy of A Murder, Sophie's Choice

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

chemosh, I'm honored to make you watch Dirty Harry. Do you feel lucky?

Anyway, I've got nothing to do all night so movies it is and I must say Casablanca lived up to it's reputation. Excellent in all regards and it drew me in from the start, something that for some reason The Maltese Falcon didn't do. 9/10

#23 Mulholland Dr. - Let's give Lynch another go.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink, #2 Apocalypse Now, #1 Eraserhead, #4 The Maltese Falcon, #19 Annie Hall, #14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, #22 Casablanca

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

TrixRabbi posted:

M is a great place to start. That or The Testament of Dr. Mabuse.

I went ahead and watched both The Passion of Joan of Arc and Modern Times. Joan of Arc was just as harrowing as I expected it to be, but I didn't expect the editing and cinematography to be quite so weird. The lurid quality of the prosecutor's faces and just the lack of common ground between it and the common grammar of cinema made it seem like an artifact from another aesthetic universe. Beautiful and strange, but hard to watch. Modern Times was a cute, fun time. The gamine was a pretty energetic heroine, a refreshing surprise after expecting someone like the love interest from City Lights.

My revised list:

1.) Fantomas- I'm not familiar with this era of silent serials, and there's a new set of these out. I love Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse so the genesis of that sort of criminal mastermind genre is also interesting to me.

2.) Sweet Movie- I like Makavejev but I'm sort of squeamish about scatological imagery. I've been putting this one off for sort of a long time.

3.) Cria Cuevos- I really liked Ana Torrent in The Spirit of the Beehive. I've heard good things about this too, and Spanish film is kind of a lacunae in my education.

4.) Short Cuts- Actually anything by Robert Altman. I love Raymond Carver, but not necessarily enough to sit and stare at his whole business for three hours.

5.) Late Spring- I just recently have begun getting familiar with Ozu. I still find his style sort of forbiddingly austere, but I want to keep exploring.

6.) Z- Or any Costa-Gavras. Army of Shadows sort of put me in the mood for political thrillers.

8.) Beauty and the Beast- Actually I haven't ever seen a Cocteau movie. I'm most intrigued by the Orphic Trilogy but B&B seems like a better place to start.

11.) The Earrings of Madame de...- I've just never seen anything by Max Ophuls. I recall reading about him in one of Pauline Kael's books. Sounds like somebody I should know, I guess.

13.) Stranger Than Paradise- I've been watching a lot of Jim Jarmusch lately, but haven't seen this.

14.) The Magician- I like Bergman, but I don't know too much about this one. Supposedly sort of a dark comedy?

Watched: If..., Paris, Texas, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Modern TImes

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

3 Women So this is Altman's Lynch film, huh. Or at least his Polanski film. Maybs his Cronenberg film? poo poo, what do I know? Sissy Spacek is loving SCARY as usual, and Shelly Duvall once again reminds me why she's the most underrated actress of her generation. It was apparently based on a dream and that influence really shows. It's got a sort of sleepy fever-dream quality, especially the way whole conversations would go on without anybody being on-screen. God, I loving love Robert Altman.

Archyduke, Beauty and the Beast

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Veronika Voss Been too long away from Fassbinder.

Portrait of Jennie Love that Joe Cotton

The Docks of New York More like the cocks of New York, right guys?

Vivre sa vie I just really like the DVD cover. I really like some Godard and want to straight-up murder him other times (Made in USA).

Yesterday Girl Kluge is my biggest gap in the German New Wave.

The American Friend I've never gone deep enough into the Wenders catalog.

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Harakiri I reckon this one's got sword fightin'.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10)

Schmuck of Ages
Dec 18, 2009
penismightier, you get Harakiri, because coincidentally I watched it today and it's brilliant.

Almanac of Fall was... well, it wasn't like the later Tarrs! I'm not entirely sure what to think of it - I wasn't ever bored or anything, but generally speaking I wasn't too sure of what was what (a rewatch might help). There were some strikingly emotional bits, though.

01. Harvey - One of those "you haven't seen this?!" type of films, I think.
02. Scarface (Howard Hawks version) - I felt the remake was kinda overrated and boring, so I want to see how the original fares against it.
03. Red Psalm - A while ago I became hugely interested in Jancso and grabbed about five of his films but I've only watched one of them since. I am a fool.
04. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Powell & Pressburger rule.
05. Damnation - Swappin' Almanac out for another Tarr.
06. La Chienne - There's a load of Renoirs that I haven't seen, embarrassingly enough. No real excuse either.
07. Orpheus - Slightly wary because Cocteau seems a bit of a git, but I did really like La Belle et la Bete so who knows?
08. The Wild Bunch - Never seen a Peckinpah.
09. Z - I tried to watch this once with a headache, stupidly. I don't have one now so the time may be right to try it again.
10. Day for Night - There's a load of Truffauts I haven't seen that I feel guilty about, but this is the biggest one.

Seen: Almanac of Fall

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Schmuck of Ages, you get the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Le Cercle Rouge was outstanding. The whole silent heist had me on the edge of my seat for its entirety. It may be the best filmed robbery I've ever seen. And Alain Delon is still the coolest man alive.

1) Dracula (Legosi)- haven't seen many of the universal Monsters and I should start
2) Dog Day Afternoon- I hear that this may be Pacino's best work
3) 8 1/2- gotta start somewhere with Fellini
4) Fitzcarraldo- starting in on Herzog
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Singin' In the Rain- it never really piqued my interest but I keep hearing how good it is
9) Double Indemnity- I should have seen this by now
10) She Wore A Yellow Ribbon- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Le Cercle Rouge was outstanding. The whole silent heist had me on the edge of my seat for its entirety. It may be the best filmed robbery I've ever seen.

You seen Rififi?

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Got the Criterion coming, figured I'd throw it on my list when I got it in. I've heard good things

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Schmuck of Ages posted:

Almanac of Fall was... well, it wasn't like the later Tarrs! I'm not entirely sure what to think of it - I wasn't ever bored or anything, but generally speaking I wasn't too sure of what was what (a rewatch might help). There were some strikingly emotional bits, though.

It's basically Sartre's "No Exit". It's also my least favorite Tarr. You will like Damnation much more, I guarantee it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Got the Criterion coming, figured I'd throw it on my list when I got it in. I've heard good things

Yeah, you'll probably like it if you're into silent heist scenes. Which, deep down, we all are.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

You seen Rififi?

The heist scene in Le Cercle Rouge is still better.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The heist scene in Le Cercle Rouge is still better.

That don't mean he shouldn't watch Rififi.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

2) Dog Day Afternoon- I hear that this may be Pacino's best work

Great movie with great acting across the board.

The 39 Steps is a great, tightly constructed thriller. Robert Donat plays a great "wrong man" and Madeleine Carroll's character was a good foil as well. This movie has a very nice combination of tension, action and humor. Some of the plot points were ridiculously convenient, but really who cares?

I also watched Dirty Harry and I thought that it was decent. There is some good action and a couple of great lines, but all of the characters were awful. Harry himself is a completely unlikeable rear end in a top hat. I like ugly, mean characters when they're actually interesting. There is nothing worthwhile about Harry. He's the less of two evils and on the opposite side of the law, that's it. His partner is completely useless, the mayor was retarded, and the villain wasn't interesting at all. I guess that it's pretty hard to look at this movie fairly since it's been parodied millions of times. Like good old McGarnagle.

1. Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. Ikiru - All 3 Kurosawa movies that I've seen so far have been excellent. I would like to see more.

5. The Wild Bunch - I do like violent westerns...

6. Boogie Nights - Supposed to be a great Scorseseish movie, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

7. The General - Apparently one of Buster Keaton's best, this would also be the oldest movie that I will have seen.

8. The Lady Vanishes - More Hitchcock.

9. M - It has a very compact title, doesn't it?

10. Pickpocket - Another French movie that I don't know much about.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, The Bicycle Thief, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Atheistdeals.com, go for Aguirre. I didn't like it at first but something like 3 watches later I think it's completely fantastic.

Goodfellas....I don't even know where to begin. I'm officially sold on Scorsese, that's for sure. I completely loved the fast, frentic, almost punk rock style of it; a complete departure from Taxi Driver (which I have seen, TrixRabbi, but wasn't a huge fan of - this was a couple of years ago, though, so I might like it more now). One of my new favourites.

04) My Neighbour Totoro - Looks sweet and fun, and I'd like to see more Miyazaki (loved Mononoke and Spirited, liked Nausicaa).
06) City Lights - Looks like a fun place to start with Chaplin.

Seen: Chinatown, Goodfellas

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Bown, you get Vertigo. I loved it when I watched it last week.

Dog Day Afternoon is now my favorite Pacino performance. It seem s that now he's almost become a parody of himself at times, but this was him at his best. I didn't know much about it going in, other than it was a bank robbery movie, and wasn't expecting the social overtones running through it. What a fine, fine film.

1) Dracula (Legosi)- haven't seen many of the universal Monsters and I should start
2) Serpico- my last major Pacino work to see
8) Singin' In the Rain- it never really piqued my interest but I keep hearing how good it is

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Bown, you get Vertigo. I loved it when I watched it last week.

Dog Day Afternoon is now my favorite Pacino performance. It seem s that now he's almost become a parody of himself at times, but this was him at his best. I didn't know much about it going in, other than it was a bank robbery movie, and wasn't expecting the social overtones running through it. What a fine, fine film.

2) Serpico- my last major Pacino work to see

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon

Mistletoe Donkey...I always seem to pick for you and you've liked my picks. I hope you also enjoy Double Indemnity.

Watched: Le Samourai. I think this film had a good combination of an interesting character study, some amazing direction/cinematography, and that je nais se quoi "cool" factor. Jef did seem to be a little inconsistent to me -- alternately being a moron (I can rationalize not killing the piano player...but what about not changing his drat clothes?) and a genius (My pet bird is doing...something. Obviously the apartment's been bugged).

New List:

1. The Holy Mountain - Already have this downloaded and it looks visually amazing.
2. Cinema paradiso - don't know anything about it other than it's rated quite high on IMDB
3. All About Eve - It's on every best-of list.
4. Rebecca - one of the major Hitch films I haven't seen
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds intriguingly abstract.
6. The Philadelphia Story - Stewart, Grant & Hepburn, how could it be bad?
7. Repulsion - always wanted to see this. Catherine Deneuve.
8. Germany, Year Zero - I clicked on a random page on TSPTD and saw this and realized I've never seen a Rossellini film.
9. Viridiana - I have not really enjoyed any Bunuel film i've seen but i'll keep trying him, as a fan of surrealism in general.
10. Love & Death - I think I've only seen 4 Woody Allen films. Also, this is Dr Drew's favorite movie.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven, The Best Years of our Lives, High & Low, It Happened one Night, Le Samourai