Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Is there a good list of recommended turntables (besides the ones in the OP) that are as good or almost as good as a Technics SL-1200mkII? I'm right now looking at buying a 15 year old one for $250, but I want to see if I can get a decent turntable for cheaper. The one I'm looking at would need a new cover and tone arm clip, so that's already an extra cost. I'm currently using an ION Profile 2 - I know it is absolute poo poo, but it was a drunken buy on Woot! for $60. I refuse to play any good condition vinyls on it because I know its not a good idea, I'm only running thrift store finds on it for now.

Also, while I am still shopping around for a receiver, I just bought an RCA to 3.5mm adapter and run sound through a pair of computer speakers. If I get a higher quality turntable with a ground wire, will this still work as a temp set up or does the ground wire have to be plugged in? Definitely getting a receiver ASAP, just curious about it.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Dr. Lenin posted:

Also, while I am still shopping around for a receiver, I just bought an RCA to 3.5mm adapter and run sound through a pair of computer speakers. If I get a higher quality turntable with a ground wire, will this still work as a temp set up or does the ground wire have to be plugged in? Definitely getting a receiver ASAP, just curious about it.

You'll need to get a preamp. You can get one for pretty cheap. The OP has a few listed in the receiver section.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I know I say this with little regard for peoples financial situations, but if you buy a new SL-1200 for Hi-Fi use only, it will literally be the last turntable you ever buy. Yesterday's build quality... Today!

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Not an Anthem posted:

Right now I have a pe5050 in the repair shop I bought at salvation army, when its fixed it will have in total cost me about 70$ and its a beaaautiful beast.

Oooh, I'm an absolute sucker for Perpetuum-Ebner turntables. Teutonic engineering at it's finest. I've wanted a PE2020 (that's the fully automatic one with the fingers that pop up and sense the record size) for about a decade, but because they are so rare here in Australia, I've not been able to get one.

Got any pictures or more info?

Edit: If this is you posting about it on AK, then not only is it a small world, but holy poo poo am I jealous... That's a PE2020. If it is you, then just get the 78 version of the stylus for whatever Shure cartridge it's got. Diamond 78 stylii last about as long as normal vinyl stylii do - Disposable steel needles for 78s went out about the time record players stopped needing to be wound by hand.

Aaaand this is what a PE2020 sounds like playing a clean 78 with a Shure cart!

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 18, 2010

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/...sky?sc=fb&cc=fp

Just saw this on NPR. Almost all of the Technics analog line of products are now being discontinued. Record sales are up for the first time in years but I guess that doesn't mean people are scratching more than before.

Edit: Not sure if this includes all their digital DJ equipment as well. I can't find the original statement on Panasonic's website where the article's quotes are taken from.

Here's another report saying that only one TT model was discontinued. http://rapfix.mtv.com/2010/10/29/sl1200-turntables-panasonic-ends-production/

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 21, 2010

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Got a hold of a Technics SL-1200! Woohoo!

I'm definitely getting a new headshell and cart for it, and was wondering if the Shure M44-7 is pretty good for regular usage, or is it more for DJs and scratching?

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
The tip is spherical and it requires a tracking force of 1.5-3.0 grams according to the specs on Shure's site. That doesn't seem unreasonable. It's high output and might over emphasize the bass a bit. It might just be okay to use until you can get another cartridge if you're not too keen on the sound. Typically, you don't want to set the tracking force too high. It wears records out faster.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
I have one that I use to listen to hip-hop, quiet recordings, or bass-lacking recordings, but in general it sounds pretty harsh and very bass-heavy on other genres and well recorded albums.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
I guess this would be a much better option then?
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-M97xE-High-Performance-Magnetic-Cartridge/dp/B00006I5SB/ref=pd_luc_sim_01_04_t_lh

Of course, I would like to find one that is a bit cheaper so if anyone has a recommendation that would be great.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Dr. Lenin posted:

I guess this would be a much better option then?
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-M97xE-High-Performance-Magnetic-Cartridge/dp/B00006I5SB/ref=pd_luc_sim_01_04_t_lh

Of course, I would like to find one that is a bit cheaper so if anyone has a recommendation that would be great.

No, go with that. It's a great cart and at that price you can't go wrong. Anything cheaper won't be near as good.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

HKR posted:

No, go with that. It's a great cart and at that price you can't go wrong. Anything cheaper won't be near as good.

The technics I bought has a Stanton headshell attached to it. Will Shure carts fit on that or do I have to buy a different headshell as well?

I'm rather new to turntables so I've never dealt with replacing parts first hand, I've only read about a few things so far... I feel like I'm asking some dumb questions here :v:

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
The m97xe is my everyday cart, it's awesome. As long as your headshell has the two screw slots like this one it will fit no problem.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

metaxus posted:

Oooh, I'm an absolute sucker for Perpetuum-Ebner turntables. Teutonic engineering at it's finest. I've wanted a PE2020 (that's the fully automatic one with the fingers that pop up and sense the record size) for about a decade, but because they are so rare here in Australia, I've not been able to get one.

Got any pictures or more info?

Edit: If this is you posting about it on AK, then not only is it a small world, but holy poo poo am I jealous... That's a PE2020. If it is you, then just get the 78 version of the stylus for whatever Shure cartridge it's got. Diamond 78 stylii last about as long as normal vinyl stylii do - Disposable steel needles for 78s went out about the time record players stopped needing to be wound by hand.

Aaaand this is what a PE2020 sounds like playing a clean 78 with a Shure cart!
Heeeeey small world :)

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Not an Anthem posted:

Heeeeey small world :)

Ooops. Posted that Youtube link from my phone... Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9WX1KepTo4

And yeah, it is a small world! :3:

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 24, 2010

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Owsla posted:

The m97xe is my everyday cart, it's awesome. As long as your headshell has the two screw slots like this one it will fit no problem.

Yep, that should fit then. Thanks!

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

Owsla posted:

Another m97xe user here. Extremely happy with it, you can't go wrong.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Any opinions on the DT-Z1(s) JVC pickup? My QL-A5 uses it but I'm not sure there's anything to gain from upgrading...

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

bacon! posted:

Another m97xe user here. Extremely happy with it, you can't go wrong.

And another here, these are really nice intro carts that won't break the bank.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Picked these up during the Black Friday sale, which ends tomorrow. I should be getting them in about a month. They have extremely polarized reviews, so I'm glad there's a 60 day auditioning period with free shipping both ways. I'll post my thoughts in here when I get them.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Really nice efficiency. http://www.audioelectronicsupply.com/reviews/ae-25_super_amp.pdf I built one of these about 9 years ago when they were still offered as kits. With high efficiency speakers, it sounds awsome. I think it has more pep with EL-34s. It sounds a bit dry with KT-88s or 6550s.

I gave away a cheap and cheerful pair of fairly efficient Athena 2.2 floorstanding speakers for a pair of Polk Monitor 40 bookshelf speakers. I'm starting to think they would sound better being pushed with about 100 watts of solid state power.

http://www.diyaudio.com/index.php There are several interesting amp designs discussed in the solid state section. I believe Douglas Self is a contributor to this forum. I'm currently reading his book Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook. It's an interesting read and a cure for insomnia. A few pages of technical jargon and I'm off to sleep.

If I wasn't such a huge wuss, I'd probably attempt to build my own speakers. Something about saws and how you can lose digits if you're not careful doesn't appeal to me.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 28, 2010

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ghumbs posted:

Picked these up during the Black Friday sale, which ends tomorrow. I should be getting them in about a month. They have extremely polarized reviews, so I'm glad there's a 60 day auditioning period with free shipping both ways. I'll post my thoughts in here when I get them.

Very nice. I'm currently using a pair of Soul Superflys that I really like. Right now I'm saving up money to pick up a good tube amp. I'm thinking of going with a classic Dynaco ST-70, since current-production tube amplifiers seem to be exceptionally overpriced.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?

TheMadMilkman posted:

Very nice. I'm currently using a pair of Soul Superflys that I really like. Right now I'm saving up money to pick up a good tube amp. I'm thinking of going with a classic Dynaco ST-70, since current-production tube amplifiers seem to be exceptionally overpriced.

Do you have the know how or skills to refurbish an old one? I've heard you can get a used one for a few hundred dollars. I read there are problems getting the tubes that are used on the original driver board. They are long out of production. I think there are several companies that offer redesigned driver boards using more common tubes and may sound better to boot. This guy offers kits and parts that are just like the original. http://www.dynakitparts.com/store/ Might be a bit pricey when you realise you can get a used one for a lot less than a complete kit. Still, nothing beats putting your own equipment together.

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm This company's 60 wpc ST-120 kit really got my attention. I spend way too much time looking at this stuff.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 29, 2010

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Paperweight posted:

Do you have the know how or skills to refurbish an old one?

Unfortunately I do not. I'm capable of putting together a kit, mainly because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to assembly, but I'll probably go with one that has already been refurbished/upgraded. I really like the look of the ones handled by Will Vincent (Autospec on audiogon), and considering that his cost is less than $200 more than most of the kids, I'd say it's worthwhile.

The problem right now is saving up the $800 I'd need for the amp, but I'm working on it.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Just bought a Pioneer SX-525 Receiver on ebay for $35. Pretty good condition too, just missing one button from the tape player selection (which I will probably never use anyways). I'll post some pictures once it arrives, but there are some on the auction page:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...BSA%3AUS%3A1123

Fake James fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 29, 2010

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Dr. Lenin posted:

Just bought a Panasonic SX-525 Receiver on ebay for $35. Pretty good condition too, just missing one button from the tape player selection (which I will probably never use anyways). I'll post some pictures once it arrives, but there are some on the auction page:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...BSA%3AUS%3A1123

I bought a 626 on ebay and love it. You won't be disappointed.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
My dad had a Pioneer of that same vintage, maybe a little older. I can't remember the exact model number but the front, back and cabinet were almost exactly the same as that auction picture. He bought it while stationed in Japan in the early 70s. The right channel went out and I took it apart years ago to see what I could do with it. Unfortunately, that was before I knew any better. They are fairly easy to repair and I believe the output configuration is what they call quasi-complimentary. The output is all NPN power transistors driven by a complimentary pair of NPN and PNP transistors. I think he still has the speakers he bought to go with it. Last time I looked at them, the surround on the dome tweeters had disintegrated.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

1) Pioneer

2)I used a SX-525 and it's wonderful except for the speaker connectors. They use an old propitiatory Pioneer made input, and it's hard to get anything that will seat in them. Look for some spade bits to terminate the end of your cables and use a bit of tape to hold them in place.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

HKR posted:

I used a SX-525 and it's wonderful except for the speaker connectors.

I had actually forgotten about that since the seller of my 626 included the connectors for free which was really nice since those can go for $40 a pair(more than the receiver itself).

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

HKR posted:

1) Pioneer

Whoops. For some reason I keep mixing up Pioneer and Panasonic!

I hadn't actually noticed the input style until now, thanks for pointing that out.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 29, 2010

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
How much should I be looking to spend on this beast? Seems like a nice reciever.

Also, what should I look out for when I go to pick it up if I decide to start bidding?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HUGE-RARE-PI...=item45f6ffc470

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Love an amp with 2 phono inputs, makes A/B comparisons a breeze.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I just got a killer deal on a Technics SL1200MK2 and now I'm looking to pick up a new cartridge and stylus for it, as the one that came with it is a DJ cart with a fairly high tracking force. I'm considering the Audio Technica AT440MLA: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT440MLA-Dual-Moving-Magnet-Cartridge/dp/B00009MK3A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291169694&sr=1-1

Does anyone have any experience with this cart or a recommendation for a different one?

Socrates Johnson
Dec 29, 2008
On an impulse I bought a Sanyo TP 266 turntable at a garage sale for $1. I figured it was garbage, but I don't know anything about turntables and for $1 I'm willing to gamble. It appears to be in pretty good shape; the belt doesn't disintegrate when I spin it, and the needle is still there. Right now, the only problem I'm aware of is the power cable. Apparently, it was designed to plug into a Sanyo receiver, not a typical AC outlet. It looks like this:

So, my questions are these:
1. Is this thing garbage?
2. If not, is there a way I can power it without a Sanyo receiver, preferably cheaply?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Veeeeery briefly, check the back information panel for an operating voltage, It may be your grid level voltage.

If it is, you might be lucky enough to just splice a plug on there. Most probable outcome is that you will need to find a powerpack of the same low voltage and amperage listed on the panel.

Socrates Johnson
Dec 29, 2008
It's DC 12V and 100mA, though I don't pretend to know what that means. Would something like this work? http://www.tti-plus.com/12VDC-Switching-Power-Supply-With-Screw-Terminals-p/st-12500.htm

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Are linear tracking turntable always terrible? I don't know why but I keeping wanting to pick a sansui one to mach my receiver.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Just got my Zerodust stylus cleaner in the mail. I bought it on eBay from fantasia_records based in Japan. I placed the order on the 12th of November, it was sent out economy mail on the 14th and arrived today on the 3rd of December. What's really funny is that the original Japanese retail price sticker is still on the outer wrapper. Apparently they get them for 1,890 yen or about $23 USD. I paid $43 which included free economy shipping. That seems a bit steep but consider the fact that you can't get this anywhere else for less than $60. It is simple, easy to use, should last quite a while and is easily cleaned with just tap water.

The envelope is pretty neat too. Besides the moon language, there are 5 different kinds of postage stamps all over it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Socrates Johnson posted:

It's DC 12V and 100mA, though I don't pretend to know what that means. Would something like this work? http://www.tti-plus.com/12VDC-Switching-Power-Supply-With-Screw-Terminals-p/st-12500.htm

If the voltage and amperage both match, I really couldn't see why not. The amperage on that link worries me, see if you can't find a closer match.

aricoarena posted:

Are linear tracking turntable always terrible? I don't know why but I keeping wanting to pick a sansui one to mach my receiver.

I run a Technics SL-J3 and they are great when properly maintained. When the grease goes to glue, you might as well drag the stylus slowly across the surface of your favorite record. When in good working order they are a great secondary everyday table for good condition records. Models with a lid mounted stylus are perfect for parties because douchebags can't go all Mix Master Mike on your rare Smiths b-side or whatever.

They do have their drawbacks, fully automatic tables will have difficulty reading and seeking tracks on heavily scuffed albums, or those with no gaps at all (obviously). Extremely warped albums can ram or bounce the cartridge into the lid of the turntable, although if they are that bad you should really not be playing them on anything.

Most Technics linears seem to be liked, although some earlier models had lid latches that would break the instant you touched them. Heard both good and bad about B&Os. Wasn't even aware until now that Sansui produced them, but other stuff they made was pretty good, can't see why a linear tracker would be any different unless they varied wildly from what everyone else was doing.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
So with my Christmas bonus coming I'm thinking about upgrading my stereo setup and since this thread has yet to steer me wrong I thought I'd throw out a list of what I'm considering. For reference, my current setup is a Debut III w/ the stock Ortofon OM5, an Outlaw Audio RR2150, and a pair of Insignias (along w/ a Spin Clean). Anyone wanna go to bat/throw out the hazard lights for any of the following:

- Acryl-It turntable platter
- Ortofon 2M Red or Blue (I've never replaced a cartridge before so if there's a comparable cartridge which happens to be retardedly easy to install it would be v. relevant to my interests)
- Herbie's Way Excellent TT Mat (would this even be necessary with the platter upgrade?)
- Zerodust (can these be eBayed safely or will you end up with some knockoff poo poo?)

trdn89 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
From what I've read, the Groovetracer subplatter and bearing upgrade make a bigger difference than their acrylic platter on Rega turntables. Both Rega and Pro-Ject have a plastic fiber subplatter that leaves a lot to be desired. I had to file out a warp on a Pro-Ject subplatter to get it to work without excessive wow and flutter. Then again, replacing the platter on a Pro-Ject might make a difference since the stock platter is only lightweight aluminum. I find that a mat is unnecessary if a recess for the record label is machined into the platter. It helps couple the record to the platter. Without a label recess, a mat may be needed for the record to sit properly. It's probably a subjective difference to know if you need a mat or not. Sometimes you need the record to be coupled or decoupled, depending on the situation.

I use a Gila Bend Bren1 record clamp to help couple the record to the platter and help out with mild warps. I found them to be one of the cheaper record weight/clamps on the internet. I bought mine through Amazon.com. Turns out, they are based 20 miles from here in Thomasville, NC. Once again, depending on the situation, a clamp will either help or hinder the sound or make no discernible difference at all.

The Ortofon 2M Blue is a wonderful stylus for the money. It's a nude eliptical that will play drat near anything without any tracking errors on well maintained records. Set it up using the protractor that came with the Pro-Ject turntable and you won't go wrong. Just make sure you set the tracking force correctly.

As far as I can tell, the Zerodust I got yesterday for $20 less on eBay is the exact same thing I got from Sleeve City a year ago.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 5, 2010