Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Is there any place that sells these at a good price? Every time Ive seen them, I want to get them, but being 40 bucks each means a lot of money to buy all the ones that are out.

$25.46 each at WBshop.com if you create an account (you won't see those prices until you're logged into your account), with free shipping.

http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-WB-Site/default/Search-Show?cgid=hp_2010sale&promo=toutHPSALEC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Is there any place that sells these at a good price? Every time Ive seen them, I want to get them, but being 40 bucks each means a lot of money to buy all the ones that are out.

e: F,B /\
If you're patient, Amazon will discount them to $25 for a week or two.
Okay fine, the WBshop has them right now for basically the same price.

Yeah, it's kind of lame the first two UE have extended cuts, but not PoA or GoF. Here's hoping the next two have extended cuts.

The hardcover book is usually a bunch of random pictures, maybe sketches with a few comments. So it's just something to thumb through or read for like 5 mins before/after the movie.

The tipping point between buying the UE and the regular editions is mainly the documentary.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah, it's kind of lame the first two UE have extended cuts, but not PoA or GoF. Here's hoping the next two have extended cuts.

I've heard (but can't verify) that the 3rd and 4th UE's don't have extended cuts because that's what the respective directors wanted. If this is true, then it will basically fall on David Yates to determine whether the last 4 UE's have extended cuts. Not sure whether he's gone on the record about how he feels about that yet, or whether there's even enough additional footage to add back into the last 4 films to warrant it.

But yes the documentaries on the Ultimate Editions are GREAT.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space_Butler posted:

Does anyone use Blockbuster online having previously used Netflix? How do they compare for blu-ray? I'm getting sick and loving tired of Netflix jacking their prices up and failing to deliver content. It's bad enough my 3 disc unlimited plan costs me over 20 bucks to have the option for blu-ray rentals on it, but between that going up another 3 dollars to subsidize the streaming-only subscriptions and the fact they've pretty much stopped stocking any new catalog titles on blu-ray (such as Alien Anthology, Back to the Future, Metropolis, Psycho, and others high profile titles that aren't considered "new releases") I've absolutely had it. Is switching to Blockbuster a good idea, or am I going to find similar selection and prices there?

I use to have a Blockbuster Online account. They were great with Blu-Rays. Always got new ones in (including Criterion titles) and they were mostly listed as available. There are certain titles that are "very long wait" which means you are going to be waiting months for it (David Gilmour's Blu-Ray is the one I remember from my old queue). If you don't care about streaming, I would say Blockbuster is better (except for the fact they don't carry NC-17 movies)

Only reason I canceled was because they closed all of the B&M Blockbusters around me which made my unlimited Total Access + 2 free in-store coupons (which ruled) useless. That and I didn't need my 3 out at a time plan (which I got grandfathered into a $19.99 price for everything) as much as I wanted streaming.

With this new Netflix price hike, I have been thinking about going back and dumping my Netflix down to streaming only.

- edit I just checked Blockbuster, they don't have Back to The Future or Alien Anthology listed, Psycho is unavailable and Metropolis is "on order" (We have ordered this title, and now we are just waiting for it to arrive at our distribution center so we can send it out to you.)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 23, 2010

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

I use to have a Blockbuster Online account. They were great with Blu-Rays. Always got new ones in (including Criterion titles) and they were mostly listed as available. There are certain titles that are "very long wait" which means you are going to be waiting months for it (David Gilmour's Blu-Ray is the one I remember from my old queue). If you don't care about streaming, I would say Blockbuster is better (except for the fact they don't carry NC-17 movies)

With this new Netflix price hike, I have been thinking about going back and dumping my Netflix down to streaming only.
That's what I was planning on doing. If Netflix wants to move in a streaming direction, that's fine. I see no reason why those who are already paying more should subsidize those accounts paying less. Not to mention Netflix has been absolutely horrible with getting me any kind of new release on time. The 28 day delay sucks bad enough, but then most titles take about a month to go off long wait. By that time, I can find the same release for 50% off or more somewhere. The only reason I've put up with it this long is just because of how cheap its been. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Well then that's disappointing. I suppose, at the very least, the money saved would make it more worthwhile, and new releases would be better. Still, it sucks that my only option to see Alien on blu-ray is to just pay 70+ bucks for the set.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space_Butler posted:

That's what I was planning on doing. If Netflix wants to move in a streaming direction, that's fine. I see no reason why those who are already paying more should subsidize those accounts paying less. Not to mention Netflix has been absolutely horrible with getting me any kind of new release on time. The 28 day delay sucks bad enough, but then most titles take about a month to go off long wait. By that time, I can find the same release for 50% off or more somewhere. The only reason I've put up with it this long is just because of how cheap its been. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Well then that's disappointing. I suppose, at the very least, the money saved would make it more worthwhile, and new releases would be better. Still, it sucks that my only option to see Alien on blu-ray is to just pay 70+ bucks for the set.

Yeah, I don't know what it is about those titles that are making all the rental places avoid it. I was kind of surprised to see that BBO didn't have them. They were always really good with getting new Blu-Rays in (including Warner/Fox stuff under the 30 day limit with Redbox/Netflix) when I was with them (a few months ago)

I would say try the two week trial and see if it works for you.

Also, you know, you should really have platinum.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cronos reviewed

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I cannot wait for Cronos or Videodrome, gonna be a sweet night of movie watching.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
As a rabid consumer of the streaming service, the $3 hike is okay with me if they keep expanding content like they have.

And considering BB is dying, and Redbox only stocks garbage, I'd go with Netflix and just buy the awesome poo poo they don't stock, like, say, the Alien set, which everyone should own.

It does suck they don't have BttF, though. After the spergelords had a convulsing shitfit over them, I'd like to rent before buying.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I have never seen any of the Harry Potter movies nor read the books.

At $40, will I be at all disappointed in buying the set tomorrow?

I sat through Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban, and to be honest, I didn't get it. To me, it seems like a (very rich-looking, and well done) children's film. Like thodt said, it breaks down to about $6.66 per movie if you buy the set, but that's still somewhat of an investment for a franchise you have no knowledge about. Then again, the series is pretty popular, and most girls I know love it.

Rule of thumb: If you watch it and hate it, but have a friend/kid you can gift it to, there you go. Or, if you have your own kids, it's a no-brainer. I'd personally rather spend the $40 on a few Kubrick films.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, I see through your bullshit, Barnes and Noble. 50% off Criterion and there's not one copy of Chungking Express, Kagemusha, Last Emperor, or any other movie I wanted.

The sale ended yesterday and those movies were pretty much spilling out all over the shelves.

Jerks. :mad:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Also, I see through your bullshit, Barnes and Noble. 50% off Criterion and there's not one copy of Chungking Express, Kagemusha, Last Emperor, or any other movie I wanted.

The sale ended yesterday and those movies were pretty much spilling out all over the shelves.

Jerks. :mad:

it really must depend on where you live, I went there last week and the blu-ray section still had titles that had been out-of-print for months just sitting there

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Red posted:

I sat through Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban, and to be honest, I didn't get it. To me, it seems like a (very rich-looking, and well done) children's film. Like thodt said, it breaks down to about $6.66 per movie if you buy the set, but that's still somewhat of an investment for a franchise you have no knowledge about. Then again, the series is pretty popular, and most girls I know love it.

Rule of thumb: If you watch it and hate it, but have a friend/kid you can gift it to, there you go. Or, if you have your own kids, it's a no-brainer. I'd personally rather spend the $40 on a few Kubrick films.

If I don't like them, I may just re-gift it to my seven-year-old niece since her birthday is in February.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Sporadic posted:

Amazon is having a massive sale on a ton of Blu-Rays

This links to everything under $10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...creative=390957

That link shows 170 blus for under $10

I clicked something and this one shows 394 blu-rays for under $10!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ex_n_1?rh=n%3A130%2Cp_74%3A0-999%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A387547011&bbn=130&ie=UTF8&qid=1290519456

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Red posted:

I sat through Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban, and to be honest, I didn't get it. To me, it seems like a (very rich-looking, and well done) children's film.

It sounds like you got it just fine. It is a children's movie, and that film in particular is essentially the only one that has nothing to do with Harry and friends battling Voldemort. The end of the fourth movie is when the series shifts away from just being a fun little kid's story.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

PeePot posted:

That link shows 170 blus for under $10

I clicked something and this one shows 394 blu-rays for under $10!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ex_n_1?rh=n%3A130%2Cp_74%3A0-999%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A387547011&bbn=130&ie=UTF8&qid=1290519456

quote:

Gamera: Guardian of Universe & Gamera: Attack of [Blu-ray] Starring Gamera and Miki Mizuno
That's great.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Yeah, I can't resist all 3 LOTR movies on blu for $20. That's just too good of a deal to pass up.

When the EEs come out I'll just give the theatricals to my friend. No harm, no foul, and I get to look like a nice guy.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Since you're all well versed on Amazon's Black Friday deals, do you know if you can just add an item prior to the deal becoming active and then going directly to checkout and getting the deal?

I'd rather not have to go through all of that with some of these early morning items.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

BitterAvatar posted:

Since you're all well versed on Amazon's Black Friday deals, do you know if you can just add an item prior to the deal becoming active and then going directly to checkout and getting the deal?

I'd rather not have to go through all of that with some of these early morning items.
Wouldn't that totally defeat the purpose of them if they could easily be bought like that?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

From what I recall, if you leave an item in your cart, the price does fluctuate appropriately with the changes on Amazon.com proper.

EDIT: Yep!

http://www.mynxzilla.com/2009/12/making-most-of-your-amazon-cart-lets.html

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Well fine, just RUIN ALL OF MY DREAMS OKAY

I mean I still have to get up early to actually buy it but it seemed like if I was in the 15 minute lightning window and it wasn't sold out it would still work.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As a Canadian I don't like your Yankee Black Friday People Trampling Parties, but I do envy the price cuts...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
12 Monkeys just dropped down to $9.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026FCNK2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0026FCNK2

- edit Back To The Future boxset is $34.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00198X0UO?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00198X0UO

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 23, 2010

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's a deal to buy BTTF and another BD to get $8 off.

If you combine the deal with Apollo 13, you only spend $2 more for both of them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._rd_i=193640011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Harlock posted:

There's a deal to buy BTTF and another BD to get $8 off.

If you combine the deal with Apollo 13, you only spend $2 more for both of them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._rd_i=193640011

Wow, I'm surprised that deal is still going on. I remember posting it months ago when it was $5 off

Here's the full list:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00198X0UO?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00198X0UO

Psycho for $10 more.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for $5 more.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lobok posted:

As a Canadian I don't like your Yankee Black Friday People Trampling Parties, but I do envy the price cuts...
That's why you sit at home and shop internet deals. I went out to see what Black Friday was all about last year and it gave me a loving headache, never again.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Casimir Radon posted:

That's why you sit at home and shop internet deals. I went out to see what Black Friday was all about last year and it gave me a loving headache, never again.

A headache from someone's boot stomping down onto your skull?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lobok posted:

A headache from someone's boot stomping down onto your skull?
I don't think anyone got trampled last year in the local area. I got a headache from all the retarded inconsiderate behavior I witnessed.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lobok posted:

At least you get some nice exclusive titles there like Assassination of a High School President and Mr. Nobody which are ridiculously expensive to import to the States.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is BTTF worth buying or is the DNR bad enough to avoid it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Captain Charisma posted:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Back-to-the-Future-25th-Anniversary-Trilogy-Blu-ray/9152/
4.5 out of 5 picture quality

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews52/back_to_the_future_blu-ray.htm
"while I suspected some edge-enhancements, and there is some - halos exist, but I could not find egregious evidence to suggest it was too heavily applied. I also thought I saw some moiring but any visual deficiencies where minor enough to dismiss. Frankly, considering the age and stock used this looks very good - better than I anticipated. The restoration has addressed some of the DVD issues and comparatively the 1080P is a vast improvement"

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

Steve Yun posted:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Back-to-the-Future-25th-Anniversary-Trilogy-Blu-ray/9152/
4.5 out of 5 picture quality

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews52/back_to_the_future_blu-ray.htm
"while I suspected some edge-enhancements, and there is some - halos exist, but I could not find egregious evidence to suggest it was too heavily applied. I also thought I saw some moiring but any visual deficiencies where minor enough to dismiss. Frankly, considering the age and stock used this looks very good - better than I anticipated. The restoration has addressed some of the DVD issues and comparatively the 1080P is a vast improvement"

This is exactly what I referenced before making my decision today. I guess I'm not as nitpicky as some here (which isn't good or bad) so I'm excited for it to arrive.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got the Sherwood today.

:sigh:

I couldn't keep it on for more than 1-2 minutes before it shut itself off constantly. This is with either Region 1/0 or 2 stuff. That's just for DVDs. It took minutes for me to be able to get it to release the DVD, so I didn't even bother putting a Blu disc in there.

I'm guessing this is a defective model or it's reflective of the usual quality of the player.

Does anyone else own the Sherwood all-region player? I already got it repacked for returns, but I'm thinking of just getting a refund from Amazon and use it towards a better player.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Captain Charisma posted:

RichterIX posted:

If you can look at this screenshot and not feel sort of creeped out, then the problems with the BttF blu-rays probably won't bother you so you should purchase and enjoy them on your own terms

http://www.imagebam.com/image/268ceb103448476

I posted this earlier but I dunno how representative of the whole set this is.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Apollo 13 Blu-ray is a perfect fit to buy with the BTTF blu-rays. It's DNR'd, EE'd, and contrast boosted. It got the works.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243394

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hitze posted:

Apollo 13 Blu-ray is a perfect fit to buy with the BTTF blu-rays. It's DNR'd, EE'd, and contrast boosted. It got the works.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243394

I'm looking at the comparisons, and I don't get it. The HD-DVD one looks a lot worse than the Blu-ray. It looks very grainy and rather soft, where the bluray appears to have more detail and doesn't looked DNR to death. It reminds me of Band of Brothers where everyone was throwing a hissy-fit because the bluray was slightly less grainy than the HD-DVD, so obviously it was a wreck and a mess and not true to the director's original intention.

Honestly, it's like the loving loudness war all over again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I got Eternal Sunshine with BTTF instead. It seems nobody has reviewed the blu-ray yet, so I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

I got Eternal Sunshine with BTTF instead. It seems nobody has reviewed the blu-ray yet, so I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it.

Hasn't been reviewed because it doesn't come out for another 2 months :)

Egbert Souse posted:

Got the Sherwood today.

:sigh:

I couldn't keep it on for more than 1-2 minutes before it shut itself off constantly. This is with either Region 1/0 or 2 stuff. That's just for DVDs. It took minutes for me to be able to get it to release the DVD, so I didn't even bother putting a Blu disc in there.

I'm guessing this is a defective model or it's reflective of the usual quality of the player.

Does anyone else own the Sherwood all-region player? I already got it repacked for returns, but I'm thinking of just getting a refund from Amazon and use it towards a better player.

I've heard as many bad stories about this player as I have good ones. Probably a good idea to steer clear of clones in general. You can get the Momitsu that the Sherwood is a clone of for not a whole lot more money, but if you have the money to spare, you can't go wrong with an Oppo.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 24, 2010

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
If this: http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/Apollo%2013/Apollobd4.png

is supposed to look bad to me then I know I can steer clear of AVS Forum reviews forever

edit: reading through that thread a lot of the things they're pointing out is stuff I would never ever notice unless I was going through screencaps looking for stuff.

oh no those 3 tiny dots you can barely see on this unzoomed screencap and definitely won't notice if you have a normal person TV are blurrier! better not pay 3 dollars for this movie, it is trash

FirstCongoWar fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
They're right, the Apollo 13 Blu-Ray is inferior to the HD-DVD. The contrast is all wonky and there is copious dnr and edge enhancement.

Cemetry Gator posted:

The HD-DVD one looks a lot worse than the Blu-ray. It looks very grainy and rather soft

This is not a bad thing.

Cemetry Gator posted:

where the bluray appears to have more detail

It doesn't.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread