Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The mastering is such a bummer. Every time I'm listening to "Hell of A Life" and that "When you never gently caress with the lights on..." part comes in, I'm expecting this powerful, trunk-rattling bass, and it never happens.

When I get the vinyl, I'm going to rip it and see if it's mastered different. It probably isn't, but I would really like some more defined percussion, 'cause that's the only thing that is bugging me about this album so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008
So is there definitely a vinyl version being released?

From what I understand (and I could be wrong... someone more knowledgeable should correct me if that's the case), records can't really be mastered the way this album was. They need more dynamics or else the needle or has a hard time with it.

Either way, it'll be nice to get a good 24-bit vinyl rip of this fantastic record.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm disappointed with the album mix of Runaway. I think he did way too much with the "Who got ya?" backing samples and filled in some of the awesome space that was filled with piano and strings on the pre-album mix. I get what he's trying to do with the autotune solo, but it sounds kind of out of place with the piano and strings. Plus it clips like crazy.

Still, that's my biggest complaint and that should say something. This is an amazing album and is probably one of the best hip hop albums released in the past 5 years.

If if helps, the sample is "Look atcha!" which ties into the sense of self-reproach and self-loathing built up in the song.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

cymbalrush posted:

So is there definitely a vinyl version being released?

From what I understand (and I could be wrong... someone more knowledgeable should correct me if that's the case), records can't really be mastered the way this album was. They need more dynamics or else the needle or has a hard time with it.

Either way, it'll be nice to get a good 24-bit vinyl rip of this fantastic record.

http://www.insound.com/My-Beautiful-Dark-Twisted-Fantasy-3xLP-Kanye-West/P/INS83181/

I just hope that some website in Europe decides to sell 'em too.

e: also available for cheaper on Amazon.com! (But their packaging is loving awful for LPs) And they've got a small preview picture.

Looks goooood.

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 23, 2010

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

sportsgenius86 posted:

Nicki Minaj's verse on Monster is loving insane

This. Her verse on Monster is the best verse of her career.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

The Modern Leper posted:

If if helps, the sample is "Look atcha!" which ties into the sense of self-reproach and self-loathing built up in the song.

That certainly makes more sense in context, but I still like the pre-album leaked version a million times better because it uses the piano and strings for much greater effect.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Angryhead posted:

http://www.insound.com/My-Beautiful-Dark-Twisted-Fantasy-3xLP-Kanye-West/P/INS83181/

e: also available for cheaper on Amazon.com! And they've got a small preview picture.

While Amazon is cheaper, their shipping can be iffy. Last time I ordered a record from them, it came in a box the size of a microwave with one sheet of bubble wrap.

I'll gladly pay a few extra bucks to order with Insound because they're one of the best record stores online and they've always been good to me.

So loving glad I ordered the vinyl, looks like we're getting some prints of one of the George Condo paintings as well as a lyric sheet? Awesome! :haw:

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

sportsgenius86 posted:

Nicki Minaj's verse on Monster is loving insane

It's unreal, might be the best verse on the album for sheer "holy gently caress."

In regards to Cee-Lo, I like him, but his album is "meh." He's a great feature guy, can really make a song great, but I find his solo stuff to be like someone else said earlier, forgettable. "gently caress You" was a great revenge song for guys, but the rest of the album I don't really remember much. He's like Will Arnett, hilarious as a supporting cast member, not funny as the main guy.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Superchunk posted:

While Amazon is cheaper, their shipping can be iffy. Last time I ordered a record from them, it came in a box the size of a microwave with one sheet of bubble wrap.

I'll gladly pay a few extra bucks to order with Insound because they're one of the best record stores online and they've always been good to me.

So loving glad I ordered the vinyl, looks like we're getting some prints of one of the George Condo paintings as well as a lyric sheet? Awesome! :haw:

No lyrics, just credits for each song.

It basically looks like a giant version of the deluxe CD.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Superchunk posted:

Oh yeah, I don't know how I keep forgetting about that, considering that I've bought LPs from them twice and their packaging was really lovely both times, causing one of my records to skip and another almost fell out of the huge cardbox box they shipped it in :sigh:

And as everyone has said, the album is awesome. Favourites are All of the Lights, Devil in a New Dress, Lost in the World and Hell of a Life.
Pretty much the only thing I'd do on the album is change Power to the G.O.O.D. Fridays remix version instead.

e: Amazon vinyl shipping :downs:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 23, 2010

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Superchunk posted:

Just pre-ordered at AMZN. Considering jumping ship now.

Bonye West posted:

It's unreal, might be the best verse on the album for sheer "holy gently caress."

In regards to Cee-Lo, I like him, but his album is "meh." He's a great feature guy, can really make a song great, but I find his solo stuff to be like someone else said earlier, forgettable. "gently caress You" was a great revenge song for guys, but the rest of the album I don't really remember much. He's like Will Arnett, hilarious as a supporting cast member, not funny as the main guy.

To this day, I still listen to Cee-Lo Green ... is the Soul Machine.

Jam2 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 23, 2010

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Speaking of Nicki, I'm listening to Pink Friday right now. It's, um, well it's not nearly as interesting as her Monster verse would have you hope. On the other hand, listen to "Blazin" if you want to hear her rap circles around Kanye again. It's honestly a little embarrassing how much better she is than him on that track, especially in the parts where the beat drops.

And anyone who thinks of Cee-Lo as forgettable is not someone I'm ever going to see eye to eye on in terms of any music ever.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

maxnmona posted:

And anyone who thinks of Cee-Lo as forgettable is not someone I'm ever going to see eye to eye on in terms of any music ever.

Any music? Any music, of any genre? Do you know how fuckin ridickalus that sounds.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Final Fart Buttball posted:

Any music? Any music, of any genre? Do you know how fuckin ridickalus that sounds.

Welcome to talking about music man, people take poo poo wayyyy too personal when you talk about music and don't like their bands. I could care less, I'm not gonna hate on what people like 99% of the time, music is awesome, there's so much of it out there to discover, people like that it's probably best you don't ever talk to about music. It's like when you're a teenager and "THAT BAND" is the end all of your life and anyone saying poo poo about them is attacking YOU AS A PERSON. Sadly when people leave high school, they don't all leave that mindset back there.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I love the mixing and mastering on this album because everything sounds super-loud and distorted and I like the distorted sound of the album so it would probably sound worse if it wasn't.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

kingcobweb posted:

I love the mixing and mastering on this album because everything sounds super-loud and distorted and I like the distorted sound of the album so it would probably sound worse if it wasn't.

This is exactly why I was bothered by some of the bitching in this thread. Is compressing songs to poo poo and flirting with clipping bad? Generally. But there is absolutely no such thing as an inappropriate mixing and/or mastering technique, only an unfitting one. There are plenty of cases where this of course would be completely inappropriate, but given how maximalist the approach to the album's ingredients is, having every sound in the red and shoved together can create an appropriate "claustrophobic" quality. Breathing room is good, but only where you want the listener to have somewhere to breathe.

You cannot just stare at a loving waveform and declare what is good engineering and what is not.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Also, Kanye spent absurd amounts of time and money on this, you don't think he constantly hovered over the shoulder of any engineer that came within a two-block radius of his studio? It's his vision, deal with it

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma
I don't really care about waveforms I just think it sounds lovely

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bonye West posted:

Welcome to talking about music man, people take poo poo wayyyy too personal when you talk about music and don't like their bands. I could care less, I'm not gonna hate on what people like 99% of the time, music is awesome, there's so much of it out there to discover, people like that it's probably best you don't ever talk to about music. It's like when you're a teenager and "THAT BAND" is the end all of your life and anyone saying poo poo about them is attacking YOU AS A PERSON. Sadly when people leave high school, they don't all leave that mindset back there.

My favorite is when you play "weird" music around people who don't listen to anything other than Top 40 and they get all angry like "What is this?! Turn it off!"

You know that scene in Talladega Nights when the French driver comes into the bar and changes the jukebox to jazz? Everyone starts screaming and yelling "I WANT THESE NOISES OUT OF MY HEAD!!" That's reality.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

There are plenty of cases where this of course would be completely inappropriate, but given how maximalist the approach to the album's ingredients is, having every sound in the red and shoved together can create an appropriate "claustrophobic" quality. Breathing room is good, but only where you want the listener to have somewhere to breathe.

This is a good point, and if the overblown mastering was intentional for this reason I would understand.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Bonye West posted:

*writes a long melodramatic paragraph because of an offhand comment on SomethingAwful.com* Yeah, I just wish people would be more mature, you know?

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

maxnmona posted:

*writes a long melodramatic paragraph because of an offhand comment on SomethingAwful.com* Yeah, I just wish people would be more mature, you know?

Oh you mad cuz I'm stylin on ya?

e: the Jazz comment is so true. But it can go the other way when people like to only listen to obscure music no one has ever heard of. They tend to vote democrat.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Angryhead posted:

e: also available for cheaper on Amazon.com! (But their packaging is loving awful for LPs) And they've got a small preview picture.

Looks goooood.

I really wish the vinyl cover was him loving the phoenix. Maybe there will be a Euro version. *hope*

adjective_noun
Jan 5, 2007

Antony played guitaaaaaaaaar!!
I've already professed my love for this album, but this mixing is just lousy. Listen to the chorus on All Of The Lights or most of Monster, it clips really really badly, making it sound like it's coming out of lovely speakers turned up way too loud even at a low volume on good equipment. I understand this is a pop/hip-hop album, and while I am a fan of subtle dynamic, this album demands to be loud, it would sound strange and out of placed if it were mastered like a Grizzly Bear record. However, a good engineer cannot allow clipping like this to happen, it's unprofessional, and given the dynamic of the mixing, unintentional. Fellow audiophile goons, is there any kind of e-mail campaign we could get together to get a more tasteful mix for the vinyl and it's attached download? I've already payed for this album once and totally intent to do so again, but it would be that much better knowing I was getting a more professional mix out of it, because this honestly sounds like someone just turned the master volume up 3 points and called it a master.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights
That guitar riff in "Gorgeous" is nice. Too drat catchy.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

maxnmona posted:

Heh check out this dude, he wrote 100 words about music, what a loser, trying to discuss albums on a music discussion forum.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
On Vlado Meller and mastering the Vinyl release:

http://www.discogs.com/Kanye-West-My-Beautiful-Dark-Twisted-Fantasy/master/288153

It doesn't have him listed for mastering it. While that might be because it hasn't come out yet, I personally don't know.

Odds are the Kanye might have done the same thing Rick Rubin does when picking: just listening to it.

Here is an interview that Michael Fremer's Musicangle does with Rubin. Fremer is an idiot/dork when talking to him, but he gets a lot of good information out of him, so, the interview on the whole is good - at least from Rubin.
http://www.musicangle.com/feat.php?id=38&rpage=1

Quoting so you don't have to read the whole thing.
Page 3:

quote:

Michael Fremer: I don’t know. I have heard some excellent 48K/24 bit ADAT recordings.

Rick Rubin: The guy who does my mastering at Sony in New York…

MF: Vlado Meller?

RR: Yea.

MF: Now somebody smashed The Mars Volta record (De-loused in the Comatorium).

RR: Him.

MF: WHY??????

RR: (chuckling) That’s what he does.

MF: He shouldn’t have done that! That sounds like it could have been a great recording. It was a great recording but he squeezed the dynamics out of it. A friend of mine’s a mastering engineer in New Jersey, his name is Alan Douches, you may have heard of him, he does a lot of alternative rock stuff and guys come in there and they say “I want it as loud as blah blah blah.” And he says “But then there’ll be no dynamics and music has to…” “I don’t care! I want it 1 dB louder!” And he tells them there’s nothing there already! Why is this? It doesn’t sound better on the radio. No one’s going to convince me of that. The radio is compressed to poo poo already anyway.

RR: That’s correct. Sometimes actually, if it’s too loud, it sounds worse on the radio.

MF: Something has to be done about that. Can’t you control the mastering guy? “Vlado, lay off!”

RR: The difference is though, I wish I had examples here to play for you. If I knew we were going to talk about this I’d go through the library and find examples. Ultimately, if you listen on a car sound system or in the mainstream place where most people listen to music: cars, boomboxes, sound systems you get at [chain stores], and if you “A/B” the less compressed version to the more compressed version, you pick the (more) compressed version.

MF: Even in a good car stereo?

RR: Even in a good car stereo. We do shoot-outs all the time. I master with as many as five different mastering engineers mastering the same album and then we “A/B” them and it’s interesting, Vlado wins nine out of ten times, and he claims it’s not him. He’s got technology in that room that’s a 2 million dollar mastering suite that other people don’t have.

MF: “So I’m going to use it godamn it, even if it’s not better!”

RR: All I’ll tell you is that my whole job in life is to A/B things, that’s all I do, and for some reason, I don’t know that what he’s doing is necessarily the best, but I haven’t heard anything to beat it and we try.

Basically, he picks what sells. Rubin doesn't necessarily seem to like it, and he seems to be looking for a solution to it, but he doesn't seem to be able to find one. I think a similar situation might be going on with Kanye there, not necessarily the idea of claustrophobia, but it is a good look at it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Why are you comparing Kanye with Rubin? Rubin has no technical skills at all; he doesn't know the first thing about the mechanical/technical aspects of making an album. Kanye knows how to do things.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Also, I am constantly baffled why people seem to think the most important topic for discussion when any big-name new album comes out is its mixing and mastering. There are other aspects to the music. You can even have opinions on them.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Music is extremely complicated especially considering most people aren't musicians, sound quality seems much less so.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Just gonna stick this right about here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ct2z_kanye-west-hey-mama-live-grammy-200_music

I think this is one of the best performances I've ever seen cause it's completely full of emotion. The change of words in the song is a nice touch. Didn't he break down and start crying performing this song some time ago?

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Periodiko posted:

Music is extremely complicated especially considering most people aren't musicians, sound quality seems much less so.

I am the opposite here, I don't really understand or give a poo poo about this mixing/mastering debate that's going on, I just like the music and feel comfortable talking about that aspect. But, you know, spergin and SA and all.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Also, I am constantly baffled why people seem to think the most important topic for discussion when any big-name new album comes out is its mixing and mastering. There are other aspects to the music. You can even have opinions on them.

It just happens to be particularly awful on this album. The songs are great, but even a clean vocal part of the song clips to high hell, when the good friday tracks didn't.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Ziir posted:

I think this is one of the best performances I've ever seen cause it's completely full of emotion. The change of words in the song is a nice touch. Didn't he break down and start crying performing this song some time ago?

I've seen him live twice here in Australia once a bit after 808s came out and the first time was only like a couple months after his mum had died and was before that Grammy performance iirc and both times he did that performance but goddamn the first time being so soon afterwards was really raw... He was definitely tearing up, missing words and the like... Brutal

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

kingcobweb posted:

In this case the mastering makes an otherwise good album sound bad to a lot of people. Hence, opinions.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

teacup posted:

I've seen him live twice here in Australia once a bit after 808s came out and the first time was only like a couple months after his mum had died and was before that Grammy performance iirc and both times he did that performance but goddamn the first time being so soon afterwards was really raw... He was definitely tearing up, missing words and the like... Brutal

A lot of this stems from the fact that he had to do all that touring and promotion right after this Mom died and he never got the proper chance to sit back and face the reality of it. If I remember correctly he described his performances after her death as "Losing an arm and leg and just trying to walk through it". Really sad stuff.

e: on a related note, according to QTip another pressing of MBDTF is going to come out around Christmas that includes Chain Heavy and Mama's Boy as bonus tracks. The kicker is that Mama's Boy has two versions - one produced by QTip and one produced by Soulja Boy - and he doesn't know which one will be on the pressing.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 24, 2010

SafetyDancer
Aug 30, 2003

hop for jesus
So just to solidify that Kanye is the weirdest person on this earth, you should read this snippet of him interviewing Rihanna for Interview.

quote:

Kanye: So what inspired you to have that pink tank on your last tour? That was amazing, when you were sitting on top of the army tank.
Rihanna: I love to combine femininity with a kind of extreme masculine egde, and I felt like the tank is just not a typical thing that you think of when you think of a girl — or in any kind of relation to a girl. Then we made it hot pink. We just added that touch.
Kanye: I mean, people really need to see a photograph — the entire tank was pink. That was a great piece of commercial pop art. Was the idea of that to kind of portray an American Dream — like the fantasy of a this hot black girl sitting on a top of a pink tank?
Rihanna: I never actually thought of it like that.
Kanye: How does it feel to know that you could have any man in the world. Or woman. How does it feel to know that you can turn straight women gay?
Rihanna: Is that a real question?
Kanye: Yeah.
Rihanna: Well … Thank you. I don’t know how to feel about that. I guess that’s flattering.
Kanye: But just to have that level of power. How do deal with it? No one woman should have that much power.

And there's more!

Like, when Kanye asks Rihanna if she knows any famous people.

Kanye: How did you get signed?
Rihanna: Well, I met Evan [Rogers] and Carl [Sturken], these two producers who live here in New York. They are both married to Barbadian women, so they go there to vacation all the time. My friend introduced me to them, and I sang for them, and we talked, and they had me and my mom come back a couple of days later. After that, we started traveling to New York, working on a demo. Within a year, it was done, and we sent it out. Def Jam was the first label to call back. We got other calls, but they were the most enthusiastic. It was so nerve-wracking, though, the whole experience.
Kanye: Why?
Rihanna: I mean, I was 16. From Barbados. Like, you would never … the chances of ever meeting somebody famous or ever being signed — that was just a deadly combination. Like, I had to meet Jay-Z and audition for him at the same time.
Kanye: Do you know any famous people now?
Rihanna: Huh
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/11/kanye_totally_weirds_rihanna_o.html

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

quote:

Kanye: But just to have that level of power. How do deal with it? No one woman should have that much power.

It really takes someone like Kanye to reference their own single in a completely unrelated interview.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SafetyDancer posted:

So just to solidify that Kanye is the weirdest person on this earth, you should read this snippet of him interviewing Rihanna for Interview.
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/11/kanye_totally_weirds_rihanna_o.html

This is awesome.

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

Honestly, the reason I care about the mastering is because the album is so good, it's honestly the only thing I have to complain about.

- The music/beats are perfect. Everything works and, generally rare for a hip hop album, actually flow together cohesively and interestingly.

- Kanye's verses and flow over the course of the entire record are so far above just about anything he's ever done before. (Prior to this, I always thought him a mediocre MC/awesome producer... He's apparently awesome at both now.)

- Every guest verse seems to fit and I really can't think of a weak one on it. Great quality control on Kanye's part.

- There's a cohesive narrative over the course of the record, making it work well when listened to as a whole just as well as when listening to the songs individually.

I really think it's drat close to being perfect, and that makes the piss poor mastering stand out even more. That's why it's an obvious topic of conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
What's the best way to guarantee I get a copy of the deluxe edition of the album without the censored Kanye+pheonix painting on both the album cover and disc art? I am willing to import it, yes I am that Goddamn silly with my money.

• Locked thread