Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Has anyone heard of GRUB creating an unusually high hardware reserved ram when it boots windows 7?

I had a laptop dropped off that had 8GB of installed memory that both Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and Ubuntu detected however in Windows only 2.93GB was accessible and the rest was marked as Hardware Reserved.

It was only after I reinstalled the Windows boot loader that it went up to 6.93GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Landerig posted:

How does the Sound recorder accessory not pick up any sound even with a working microphone attached?

I found a brand new decent microphone that I guess got thrown away because the previous owner couldn't get it out of the package or something. :rolleyes:

Computer detects it. Enabling "listening to this device" makes my voice come through the speakers, so the microphone works fine, but the drat sound recorder accessory picks up nothing, has no configuration options, and doesn't do poo poo.

And I mean doesn't do poo poo. Only saves as WMA, XP and earlier could save to WAV, MP3, and you could futz with codec options to make Wav's encoded in MP3 if you wanted to.

Is SNDREC32 buried somewhere in my install by any chance?

I do not know on changing the device, but there is a fix it troubleshooting wizard in help.

As for saving in WAV, you have to start it with a special parameter, such as
soundrecorder /file outputfile.wav

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Grawl posted:

Is there a way to fix this? I do have an internet connection, but when I don't (once a month), I'd like to know without having to check out my applications.

I have disabled/removed any unneeded network, my drivers are updated, I disabled any unwanted adapters (Hamachi etc.).

edit: To make things clear, in the screenshow below I do have working internet, but Windows claims I'm not even connected to any network.

I had to fix this recently, myself. I had to uninstall Hamachi (virtual network adapter), and remove all instances of my ethernet adapter in device manager (uninstall) and reboot.

Since the uninstall tossed all of the previous network configuration information, the system came back up with a nice clean single network named 'Network', and no more 'Not Connected' message.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I use Launchy on my XP machine, but I just bought a netbook with Windows 7 Starter, and I'd prefer to use the built in search than install Launchy.

I've created a folder with 5 shortcuts in it (.lnk files), to programs that I installed, and I've added that folder to the searching index.

Once that was done, the total of indexed files in the Indexing Options dialogue went up by 5, so I know that they've been added, but none of them show up when I hit the start button and start typing any of their names.

I've rebuilt the index, removed the folder from the index and added it again, checked that the folder I created has the SYSTEM permission, none of these work.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ryokurin posted:

I do not know on changing the device, but there is a fix it troubleshooting wizard in help.

As for saving in WAV, you have to start it with a special parameter, such as
soundrecorder /file outputfile.wav

So, it will still save as WAV, but you have to use parameters to do it?

Is there any way to get the sound meter back? See, when I test a microphone, I like to open Sound Recorder, then tap or blow into the microphone and see if the sound meter jumps. But right now I have a sound recorder with no sound meter, that will only save WMA by default, and doesn't even record sounds.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

Landerig posted:

So, it will still save as WAV, but you have to use parameters to do it?

Is there any way to get the sound meter back? See, when I test a microphone, I like to open Sound Recorder, then tap or blow into the microphone and see if the sound meter jumps. But right now I have a sound recorder with no sound meter, that will only save WMA by default, and doesn't even record sounds.

So stop futzing around with it and download Audacity.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Centipeed posted:

I use Launchy on my XP machine, but I just bought a netbook with Windows 7 Starter, and I'd prefer to use the built in search than install Launchy.

I've created a folder with 5 shortcuts in it (.lnk files), to programs that I installed, and I've added that folder to the searching index.

Once that was done, the total of indexed files in the Indexing Options dialogue went up by 5, so I know that they've been added, but none of them show up when I hit the start button and start typing any of their names.

I've rebuilt the index, removed the folder from the index and added it again, checked that the folder I created has the SYSTEM permission, none of these work.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Put the folder in your user directory, or, just put the shortcuts directly in the start menu.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I have a question about the new Libraries thing for Win7. I'm using Home Premium and I've been trying to set up TortoiseSVN for Gmod add-on updating stuff. Problem is it simply won't work with the new libraries feature because the libraries don't represent the actual file/folder paths or something like that. Is there a way to just open up folders normally like you'd do in Win XP? Or is that just included in some 200$+ version of windows?

Edit: I'm running on a 64-bit system

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 3, 2010

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

Put the folder in your user directory, or, just put the shortcuts directly in the start menu.

I tried putting the shortcuts in the Users folder, and no dice. I also tried putting the shortcuts in the start menu, and I am unable.

Even though I am administrator, apparently Windows 7 doesn't let you mess with the Start menu contents (I'm new to Windows 7)?

Unless you mean pinning them to the Most Used Programs list.

Also, these are workarounds. I'm very interested in knowing why adding a custom folder to the list of indexing locations adds the files to the index, but then fails to have them show up during searches.

Edit: Just looked it up again, and it turns out I CAN edit the "All Programs" contents. I tried before and it said I wasn't able to, so I must have been going about it wrong.

It works now that I've moved the shortcuts into the Start Menu folder. I wish it worked the other way, though. Weird.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 3, 2010

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Office Thug posted:

I have a question about the new Libraries thing for Win7. I'm using Home Premium and I've been trying to set up TortoiseSVN for Gmod add-on updating stuff. Problem is it simply won't work with the new libraries feature because the libraries don't represent the actual file/folder paths or something like that. Is there a way to just open up folders normally like you'd do in Win XP? Or is that just included in some 200$+ version of windows?

Edit: I'm running on a 64-bit system

Go to Computer or type C:\ etc in the run box?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

fishmech posted:

Go to Computer or type C:\ etc in the run box?

Also I think if you use the Windows Key + E combination it opens a more traditional looking explorer window.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Squibbles posted:

Also I think if you use the Windows Key + E combination it opens a more traditional looking explorer window.

Nope, still brings up the Libraries explorer.

I just found out what it was, I downloaded the 32bit installer, not the 64bit one for SVN :doh:. I'm glad that was it since I like Libraries, I didn't want to remove it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Office Thug posted:

I just found out what it was, I downloaded the 32bit installer, not the 64bit one for SVN :doh:. I'm glad that was it since I like Libraries, I didn't want to remove it.

There is no such thing as a Libraries Explorer, Libraries is just the default folder for a new explorer window.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Office Thug posted:

Libraries is nothing more than grouping a couple of folders together. You can make as many or as few libraries as you want, in fact. If you're trying to tell a program where to save its files and you want it to go to someplace covered by your Documents library, just tell it to go to C:\Users\Office Thug\Documents since that's the folder in the group anyway.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Issue I'm hoping someone can help with: Starting recently, I can't minimize or unminimize windows by clicking on their taskbar icon unless they're the active window. Also, their taskbar icon will flash orange out of no where. Any idea?

Edit: Found the culprit; it was f.lux. Had to uninstall it, not just exit.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 4, 2010

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Guerrand posted:

So stop futzing around with it and download Audacity.

That works! But it raises some more questions.

Microphone and sound card are working fine. Audacity proved that. I can play WMA's with no issues, so the files that Sound Recorder is outputting should play. They play but there is no sound.

From what I can tell, this new sound recorder has zero configuration options, so there's nothing to accidentally break... So why the hell isn't it working? I mean yeah I have a workaround now but I still would like to know why it's outputting blank files.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Centipeed posted:

I also tried putting the shortcuts in the start menu, and I am unable.

Even though I am administrator, apparently Windows 7 doesn't let you mess with the Start menu contents (I'm new to Windows 7)?

I'm not exactly sure what you need to do, but there are some ways to make changes (add folders, shortcuts, etc.) to the Win7 Start Menu. Here are some links that may be useful:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/296-start-menu-all-programs-add-delete-shortcuts.html

http://www.sharepointcomic.com/archive/2010/05/27/edit-the-start-menu-folders-in-windows-7.aspx

Disclaimer: I can't help you if this hopelessly fucks your start menu, so proceed at your own risk

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Office Thug posted:

You can see the actual path to any included folder by right-clicking on a Library and choosing Properties.

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

Fuschia tude posted:

You can see the actual path to any included folder by right-clicking on a Library and choosing Properties.

In fact, you can simply rightclick and select "Open folder location" (or hit 'I') to go the actual location of the file on the harddrive. It annoys me to no end how half-assedly they have implemented Libraries and things like browsing devices (with paths like "Computer\phone\Internal Storage\"). Anyway, there's your fix.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm currently loving my new Windows 7 install but wondering how/where to find things like custom themes?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm selling a laptop of mine this week and I realized I have no idea about the best way to wipe the computer completely back to factory. Is it still standard to use the OS disks? fakefastedit: Windows 7

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm currently loving my new Windows 7 install but wondering how/where to find things like custom themes?

what exactly do you want to "theme"? there's an entire subforum at sevenforums dedicated to this but really most of what you can do is making aero different colors and adding different background sets.

some of the more popular tweaks off the top of my head are XP-style context menus and explorer interfaces (which I find useless) and xp-style start menu replacements (which *are* useless)

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm selling a laptop of mine this week and I realized I have no idea about the best way to wipe the computer completely back to factory. Is it still standard to use the OS disks? fakefastedit: Windows 7

for max safety I'd wipe the machine (zero the drive + factory restore,) or reload it back to the user account creation screen, leave it there for them to fiddle with.

you could probably get away with just deleting all user accounts except for admin and letting them create their own.

disclaimer: I've never done this(sold a machine), curious to see what others would recommend

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 7, 2010

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
Are OEM keys compatible with regular versions of windows? I have a Revo 3610 that I want to upgrade the hard drive in, can I get the product key and use a regular install of Windows 7 as long as I use the correct version (I have the windows 7 iso's with the modified file to install any version on prompt)? I'd rather do that so I can skip uninstalling a bunch of shitware.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Traxxus posted:

Are OEM keys compatible with regular versions of windows? I have a Revo 3610 that I want to upgrade the hard drive in, can I get the product key and use a regular install of Windows 7 as long as I use the correct version (I have the windows 7 iso's with the modified file to install any version on prompt)? I'd rather do that so I can skip uninstalling a bunch of shitware.

It should work; I've done several reinstalls with OEM keys plus probably the same ISO you're using, all without incident. Vista and 7 seem to be much less picky than XP about which keys will work with which installers.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Definitely don't just delete the user accounts. This leaves all kinds of personal data behind, and most people are using the admin account anyway.

Make sure you have the license key! Then boot off the install media, then click "Install Now". Choose "Advanced", delete the partitions until it says "Unallocated Space" and then reformat it or just hit "Next" if you aren't concerned about someone doing a forensic analysis of the drive. If you are really paranoid, download DBAN, burn it to a blank disc & write zeros to the disk before reinstalling.

Does anyone know how you terminate the install so when the new owner boots up they get the screen which asks for the user name & password, so they can just enter it themselves?

Drosian
Sep 27, 2004
not intrusive
Can anyone suggest some image-viewing software? I find that the image viewer included with Win 7 kind of sucks for the following reasons:
  • won't play animated gifs
  • a little awkward
  • can't delete stuff in "showcase" mode like you could in XP

I've tried the faqs, but haven't found an SA-approved image viewer. Google suggests Irfanview, which I'm willing to try, but I'm curious if anyone has any other suggestions.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Irfanview.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Suniikaa posted:

Irfanview.

I use it, but amn't happy with it's clunky UI and viewing modes.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 15, 2014

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

papa horny michael posted:

I like FastStone MaxView

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Drosian posted:

Can anyone suggest some image-viewing software?
I like Zoner. Something about IrfanView's interface rubs me the wrong way, this one just feels better.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

papa horny michael posted:

You may like Xnview which is a bit more flexible and has a better UI. Unfortunately it does not properly support uuencoded directories (directories where some of the folders are in a foreign language) but there are early betas with that support in their forum.

pete0r
Oct 6, 2003
me
Has anyone done volume licensing for a corporation with Windows 7? For the love of god, can you please tell me what I need to buy if I'm picking up workstations with OEM Windows 7 Pro? Do I only need a select agreement or do I need to buy software assurance for each workstation or do I need to buy a Windows 7 pro upgrade?

I've spoken with 4 vendors plus the MS hotline and they all tell me something different. All I want is a drat volume key to use for making an image.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As far as I know all you need is SA for each workstation. Our company buys HP desktops with Win7 and we just imaged one and use that for each new PC we buy.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

AlexDeGruven posted:

I had to fix this recently, myself. I had to uninstall Hamachi (virtual network adapter), and remove all instances of my ethernet adapter in device manager (uninstall) and reboot.

Since the uninstall tossed all of the previous network configuration information, the system came back up with a nice clean single network named 'Network', and no more 'Not Connected' message.

In the end I fixed it by uninstalling both Hamachi and my VirtualBox Virtual Network Interface. After a reboot the icon went back to normal.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Couple years ago I built this PC and installed an OEM Vista Home Premium. Could I upgrade with OEM Windows 7 Home Premium or will I require the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade? It's really tough to Google a straight answer to all this MS license poo poo :mad:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do I get my GFX card to always use PCI-e 2.0 instead of 1.1?

It's giving me stuttering issues when it's not on 2.0 playing back hd movies. Nor is my cpu being used up instead, so it just lags.

I got around this by having it launch in full screen and in focus, but :smith:

I like alt tabbing...

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
OEM vs. Upgrade version - if you're buying it retail it doesn't matter. Get the cheaper one.

The PCIe question - under the advanced power options there's some PCIe power management settings. Turn those off or to low and it should fix your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LoKout posted:

The PCIe question - under the advanced power options there's some PCIe power management settings. Turn those off or to low and it should fix your problem.

Those are already set to off.