Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Col. Mustard posted:

I had the fortune to attend a workshop at the Point Reyes National Seashore a couple weeks ago. This is a gorgeous area, with so many photographic scenes, it was hard to decide what to post.

Was that with Harold Davis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I'm so much more interested in the forest behind the waterfall, Dread Head.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Dread, would you might writing up a post about how you find places to go shooting? Do you go walking off trails into the woods or what?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Interrupting Moss posted:

I'm so much more interested in the forest behind the waterfall, Dread Head.

Yes, those waterfalls are amazing, but the forest behind them is unreal. The first is definitely my favorite of the three. The lighting of the moss on the rocks is great. I can't tell if you found amazing light or actually did some dodging in photoshop, but either way it looks great. The only negative thing I see is that the tree is blocking just a bit of the top waterfall.

The tree across the second one is really distracting to me, which is a shame because everything else about the shot is really strong.

I really like the third one as well, especially the way the shot is framed with the water coming right at me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The tree across the second one is really distracting to me, which is a shame because everything else about the shot is really strong.

I liked the second one best, because you can actually see some of the creek bed. The other two have a little too much cotton candy going on. I agree the log is a little distracting but the route of the water is more interesting.

I agree with the comments about the location though. The hazy, mossy forest really steals the show.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
When I got to the location I was pretty worried because the fog was so thick, could hardly see and it was very dark. I am really glad the fog was there though. I never really got any of the forest because although it looks really cool and it was there was never really and good focal points in it and the undergrowth/ground was not that attractive.

As for the location it was about 45-60 minute hike one way up a steep, trail/stream. I actually hiked to the top of the mountain a few weeks ago and spotted this on the way and just got round to lugging my gear up to get some photos. Most of the locations I go to are from hiking, before I was taking photos I spent a lot of time hiking/biking/climbing and I still do but now I tend to hike for photos. Most of the places are near established hiking trails or even on the trail. I also tend to do a fair bit of exploring off the main trails which can be super hit or miss but that is how it goes.

Some of the photos are tough to frame how you want simply because it is often impossible or very unsafe to get the angle you want, like with the falls with the tree across, there was not good or easy way to get to the other side. Just have to make due with what you can.

Snap shot from the trail to give you an idea of the steepness and the forest.

Edit: that is not me in the awesome pink coat.

Col. Mustard
Nov 26, 2000

Initech Administrator

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Was that with Harold Davis?

With Betty Sederquist.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm just looking to get some ND-grad filters (probably the Cokin z-series), and just wanted to know wanted some opinions/tips on using them in landscape work, and whether people use them frequently or not?

vikingtravels
Jul 13, 2006
Experienced life-enjoyment executive
Glad to see more forest pictures in here.

Went for a little hike the other day, lost one of the dogs for about an hour, chasing a deer through the woods, then another dog disappeared under an abandoned house for 20 minutes. Yeah, plenty of time for photo. ;)

Hanging in There by Kim Marius Flakstad, on Flickr

Lone Giant by Kim Marius Flakstad, on Flickr

Hopefully a couple more will come out ok from this trip.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Click image(s) to view on black background, avoid burning your retinas, and appreciate shadow detail.

An Inner Sanctum
Nature invites you to her inner sanctuary; a place of grace and majesty.

Great Otway National Park, Victoria.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
2s f/16.0 at 33.0mm iso250

Rocky Pathways
Boulders and a rock shelf protrude out from under streaking waves as they crash and recede in front of me.

Captured moments after sunset at a gorgeous location north of Sydney.

4s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso400

The Drapery Falls
After experiencing the heaviest rain in ten years, this past April, the waterways of the South Island of New Zealand were abundant; creeks and streams overflowing, and waterfalls pouring freely; you'd think there was a neverending water supply.

Presented here is the base of the magnificent Matai Falls in the lush dense temperate rainforest of the The Catlins on the south coast of the South Island.

2.5s f/11.0 at 33.0mm iso200

H

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

octane2 posted:

Click image(s) to view on black background, avoid burning your retinas, and appreciate shadow detail.

An Inner Sanctum
Nature invites you to her inner sanctuary; a place of grace and majesty.

Great Otway National Park, Victoria.

2s f/16.0 at 33.0mm iso250

Rocky Pathways
Boulders and a rock shelf protrude out from under streaking waves as they crash and recede in front of me.

Captured moments after sunset at a gorgeous location north of Sydney.

4s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso400

The Drapery Falls
After experiencing the heaviest rain in ten years, this past April, the waterways of the South Island of New Zealand were abundant; creeks and streams overflowing, and waterfalls pouring freely; you'd think there was a neverending water supply.

Presented here is the base of the magnificent Matai Falls in the lush dense temperate rainforest of the The Catlins on the south coast of the South Island.

2.5s f/11.0 at 33.0mm iso200

H
You get the award for inducing in me the biggest eye rolls out of anyone here for your commentary and captions but I'll be damned if you don't always consistently post awesome photos.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

octane2 posted:

[content]
H
That third image is solid gold, but the post above me is spot on.. You need to start selling prints at art festivals. Between the excellent imagery, and the bone-crushingly cheesy captions, you'd make millions.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Ah, you guys got me! The awesome wordsmith that I am, I secretly want to be remembered more for my literary impressions and footnotes than my photos.

As long as the cheese factor and my less impressive droppings are consistent, I'll take both your comments in the positive and continue to share both into the future.

BYO wine.

Thanks, gents.

spf3million posted:

You get the award for inducing in me the biggest eye rolls out of anyone here for your commentary and captions but I'll be damned if you don't always consistently post awesome photos.

quazi posted:

That third image is solid gold, but the post above me is spot on.. You need to start selling prints at art festivals. Between the excellent imagery, and the bone-crushingly cheesy captions, you'd make millions.

octane2 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 17, 2010

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

octane2 posted:

Ah, you guys got me! The awesome wordsmith that I am, I secretly want to be remembered more for my literary impressions and footnotes than my photos.

hum?

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Yessum? (I was being facetious!)

unixbeard posted:

hum?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

_MG_6139 by natebol, on Flickr

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

octane2 posted:

Yessum? (I was being facetious!)

do you know rax and those guys?

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Aye. ;)

unixbeard posted:

do you know rax and those guys?

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

hah ... small world. are you on facebook or anything? let me know your email address

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Been a long time since I've shot anything, but found a good deal on some new gear and it's given me some motivation. Really liking everything I've been seeing in this thread lately, excited to get back into it.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
The wind this morning was insane. So cold and strong it was tiring just standing upright. Still, glad I finally managed to get this side in good light.

torbay pt #2 by scottch, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
mmm, love those mountains. Truly remarkable...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Hotwax Residue posted:

Dodge that stump or whatever it is in the foreground.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
Look at this pile of sexy rocks. Just look at them!

:drat:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I want to stuff that HDR button of yours somewhere unpleasant. Unfortunately you appear to be more beefcake than I.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Heintron posted:

Look at this pile of sexy rocks. Just look at them!

:drat:

All I can see in this is the horizon. It looks like it's a thousand miles away. Don't even care about the pile of rocks, my eye keeps being drawn to the background.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

xzzy posted:

All I can see in this is the horizon. It looks like it's a thousand miles away. Don't even care about the pile of rocks, my eye keeps being drawn to the background.

Yeah, its an old picture. I would not make the same composition today. But it is a picture of a pile of rocks in a landscape posted in a thread about landscapes and rocks :haw:

evil_bunnY posted:

I want to stuff that HDR button of yours somewhere unpleasant. Unfortunately you appear to be more beefcake than I.

Haters gonna hate. (but I agree with people who dislike HDR pics. Almost every HDR picture is complete poo poo.)

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007

I'm pretty new at shooting landscapes, so any advice/criticism is appreciated.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Snapped this on a little driving trip through Florida after some awful shopping.

DSC_0394 by Lando123, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Hotwax Residue posted:

You are a landscape wizard, please, please, please share your workflow or if you want to get abstract, your mindset in how to approach landscapes.

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007

Lando posted:

Snapped this on a little driving trip through Florida after some awful shopping.

DSC_0394 by Lando123, on Flickr

Maybe it's because I live in rural Kansas and see this sort of thing all the time, but this photo just doesn't do it for me. I see a field and a barbed wire fence, but I don't see anything remarkable about either of those things.

I think this kind of subject material might work better from some sort of perspective that you wouldn't see just sitting in a car on a highway, or perhaps with some spectacular light or something. I realize this sounds harsh, and I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just trying to give you some feedback here.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

You are a landscape wizard, please, please, please share your workflow or if you want to get abstract, your mindset in how to approach landscapes.
Holy poo poo. Thanks mate, you've made my day :D

I'm not sure how well I'll be able to answer your question though, I don't always work in the same way. I guess I have the most success on my second or third visit to a specific location. After my first visit I usually get some sort of an idea about what might work the best and I have a better idea of what direction the light will be coming from at whatever time. I prefer side lighting if I can get it. Once I've got an idea about what I'm after I go back either just before sunset or just before sunrise(most of the time anyway). Sometimes I find the picture in my head never happens, the light doesn't fall the way I thought it would or something else doesn't work. This is where the 3rd visit comes in. Also sometimes I end up finding an unexpected composition that works better than whats in my head so you have to be flexible.

In saying that, I've got some good shots just by being out and making the most of what I can find.

I hope that's kind of what you were after.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Probably best to look at a larger one.

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Sage advice.

You'll find that even on those off days where the weather and light is poo, you may still come home with something.

Due to La Nina, we've been having some spectacular sunsets her in Canberra. I have been going up a mountain lookout 4-5 days a week in the hope of getting the shot. I've managed to come home with a shot, even though the sunset promised much but delivered naught.

Also, brilliant use of monochrome, in that image. Love your work (as commented previously).

Hotwax Residue posted:

In saying that, I've got some good shots just by being out and making the most of what I can find.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Hotwax Residue posted:

Holy poo poo. Thanks mate, you've made my day :D

I'm not sure how well I'll be able to answer your question though, I don't always work in the same way. I guess I have the most success on my second or third visit to a specific location. After my first visit I usually get some sort of an idea about what might work the best and I have a better idea of what direction the light will be coming from at whatever time. I prefer side lighting if I can get it. Once I've got an idea about what I'm after I go back either just before sunset or just before sunrise(most of the time anyway). Sometimes I find the picture in my head never happens, the light doesn't fall the way I thought it would or something else doesn't work. This is where the 3rd visit comes in. Also sometimes I end up finding an unexpected composition that works better than whats in my head so you have to be flexible.

I hope that's kind of what you were after.

Yeah, that does help. Thanks!

I do tend to think about light direction in advance when I have a location in mind, but I really should start taking more than one visit to a location. I also need to move somewhere topographically more interesting than a loaf of bread.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I went to Scotland in September, but I didn't get round to sorting and processing most of my shots until now because of Fallout: New Vegas

Glen Coe

Isle of Skye, near the Glenbrittle Fairy Pools

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I went to Scotland in September, but I didn't get round to sorting and processing most of my shots until now because of Fallout: New Vegas

Glen Coe

Isle of Skye, near the Glenbrittle Fairy Pools

That first one is really nice. I like the valley leading the eyes through the photo. Love it.

The second one is alright, but the lighting makes it seem kind of flat. Not sure there is much you can do about it though.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
First one is very awesome, would like to see it pushed a little further in post.. perhaps a bit more dynamic range in the clouds.. but I really like it :D

Second one i'd probably prefer with a little desaturation.

It always amazes me how much photos of Scotland look like they could have come from New Zealand (maybe I'm just homesick)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
Are you missing fresh water Cyber? ;) But you're right. Where I live there is even a place called called Glen Coe

This is a re-edit of an old photo