Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Pirate Jet posted:

What's the best way to guarantee I get a copy of the deluxe edition of the album without the censored Kanye+pheonix painting on both the album cover and disc art? I am willing to import it, yes I am that Goddamn silly with my money.

Get it from Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Brett824 posted:

e: on a related note, according to QTip another pressing of MBDTF is going to come out around Christmas that includes Chain Heavy and Mama's Boy as bonus tracks. The kicker is that Mama's Boy has two versions - one produced by QTip and one produced by Soulja Boy - and he doesn't know which one will be on the pressing.

He did a lot of interviews about how he was working on Soulja's album while Soulja was working on his. I haven't been able to see a producer list, so I was wondering if Soulja's made it to the album, because it's just such a weird thought to me.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
Yeah the mastering stands out when you listen to Late Registration, then listen to this album. Still, it hardly bothers me. I like that the album is too loud.

cymbalrush
Jul 12, 2008

NeuroticErotica posted:

He did a lot of interviews about how he was working on Soulja's album while Soulja was working on his. I haven't been able to see a producer list, so I was wondering if Soulja's made it to the album, because it's just such a weird thought to me.

My first thought was "please let it be Q-Tip's" But my curiosity is just like "what the hell is Soulja Boy production-wise that Kanye's taking notice?"

Didn't he produce a #1 hit in loving Fruity Loops at like 17. I know how overplayed and tired that song got, but still...

The (admittedly) very brief listen I've given to Soulja's stuff lately doesn't sound very promising, but I have enough faith in Kanye's ear for beats that I'm at least interested in hearing it.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

cymbalrush posted:

My first thought was "please let it be Q-Tip's" But my curiosity is just like "what the hell is Soulja Boy production-wise that Kanye's taking notice?"

Didn't he produce a #1 hit in loving Fruity Loops at like 17. I know how overplayed and tired that song got, but still...

The (admittedly) very brief listen I've given to Soulja's stuff lately doesn't sound very promising, but I have enough faith in Kanye's ear for beats that I'm at least interested in hearing it.

Actually, a lot of good producers do use FL software, it's not like you can't make something good in it.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

cymbalrush posted:

Kanye's spoken up about Soulja before - he says that he's what hip hop is supposed to be - He decided to make his own beats any way he could, he started his own dance, his own lingo, and worked at getting it out to people when it caught on. Kanye makes a good point.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Bubble Bathory posted:

Yeah the mastering stands out when you listen to Late Registration, then listen to this album. Still, it hardly bothers me. I like that the album is too loud.

It's not that it's just "too loud", it's that you can hardly bump the thing at all and feel the percussion without everything else clipping to hell. I constantly finding myself starting tracks, then wanting so bad to turn them up so I can feel that bass but then I do and am disappointed

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Brett824 posted:

A lot of this stems from the fact that he had to do all that touring and promotion right after this Mom died and he never got the proper chance to sit back and face the reality of it. If I remember correctly he described his performances after her death as "Losing an arm and leg and just trying to walk through it". Really sad stuff.

e: on a related note, according to QTip another pressing of MBDTF is going to come out around Christmas that includes Chain Heavy and Mama's Boy as bonus tracks. The kicker is that Mama's Boy has two versions - one produced by QTip and one produced by Soulja Boy - and he doesn't know which one will be on the pressing.

Yeah definitely. It was pretty intense, a real performer. I can't wait until her tours mbdtf, if he toured 808s and fit it into a rap concert I think I will die listening to this live

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

a milk crime posted:

On Vlado Meller and mastering the Vinyl release:

http://www.discogs.com/Kanye-West-My-Beautiful-Dark-Twisted-Fantasy/master/288153

It doesn't have him listed for mastering it. While that might be because it hasn't come out yet, I personally don't know.

Odds are the Kanye might have done the same thing Rick Rubin does when picking: just listening to it.

Here is an interview that Michael Fremer's Musicangle does with Rubin. Fremer is an idiot/dork when talking to him, but he gets a lot of good information out of him, so, the interview on the whole is good - at least from Rubin.
http://www.musicangle.com/feat.php?id=38&rpage=1

Quoting so you don't have to read the whole thing.
Page 3:

Basically, he picks what sells. Rubin doesn't necessarily seem to like it, and he seems to be looking for a solution to it, but he doesn't seem to be able to find one. I think a similar situation might be going on with Kanye there, not necessarily the idea of claustrophobia, but it is a good look at it.

Rick Rubin is an OG. I respect him, so I'll take his word for it. I'm sitting here behind my keboard saying I don't like Vlado Meller's mix, but I haven't even heard any others.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Nicki Minaj's verse on Monster is loving insane

its the best verse on the album. flow, content, voice manipulation. if it werent so blatantly her style i wouldnt be able to believe it was actually her writing.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

now that i think about it, kanye probably made her rewrite that poo poo like 200 times.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

40 lbs to freedom posted:

now that i think about it, kanye probably made her rewrite that poo poo like 200 times.

He said he worked for over two days straight on her verse alone and nothing else.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

NeuroticErotica posted:

He said he worked for over two days straight on her verse alone and nothing else.

when and where

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
I've heard 200 different stories about Nicki and that Monster verse.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Jam2 posted:

when and where

He's said something like this on a few occasions. I believe in his GQ interview he mentioned it and I also saw it in a Q/A video posted some time ago. Sorry for no links! TRUST ME.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I was on a seven-hour bus ride today, and I listened to this album three times. This probably has something to do with the Dark Fantasy intro, which I keep trying to figure out and keep not figuring out. Strongly considered trying to get a ticket for the Bowery show, as my bus was a 2pm from Pittsburgh to NYC, and I did get there at nine, but after the long ride I wasn't up for it anyway, nevermind that tickets were impossible to get.

Best moments for me from these listens* were the Dark Fantasy intro into the first drop of the Oldfield sample, every loving second of Power through Monster, Aphex Twin/Chris Rock Praise replacing Girl Talk's Aphex Twin/Souljah Boy as weirdest pairing of something with Aphex Twin after only like two weeks, and Lost In The World->Who Will Survive, which needs to be rearranged by a really really ambitious acapella group as soon as possible.

*: Here, "best moments" indicates the highlighted is fantastic as opposed to merely great

e: Yeah no loving way I was making it through to that show on no sleep like I got last night http://twitter.com/#!/brooklynvegan/status/7305677550649344

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

etherealshaq posted:

to be fair, the new MIA album was pretty bad. It is kind of strange to me though that Pitchfork would give a 10.0 to such an inevitably mainstream (note: mainstream meaning "mainstream-level sales figures") record. I don't doubt it deserves the rating, though.

This is almsot unfair. People bitching about Pitchfork giving this album its due prove what most of us already know: people who only like indie music only like that music because it's unpopular.

My Dark Twisted Fantasy is the only album that sounds like this any of us will listen to this year. Because it was the only one put out on any label, major or minor this year that sounds like this. This album sounds wildly different from what anyone else is making. But if it sells volume it must be bad?

Honestly, that review redeems pitchfork more than anything. It proves that they are willing to support something that sells well, but isn't Radiohead.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!

Z.S. Ghost posted:

I was on a seven-hour bus ride today, and I listened to this album three times. This probably has something to do with the Dark Fantasy intro, which I keep trying to figure out and keep not figuring out. Strongly considered trying to get a ticket for the Bowery show, as my bus was a 2pm from Pittsburgh to NYC, and I did get there at nine, but after the long ride I wasn't up for it anyway, nevermind that tickets were impossible to get.

Best moments for me from these listens* were the Dark Fantasy intro into the first drop of the Oldfield sample, every loving second of Power through Monster, Aphex Twin/Chris Rock Praise replacing Girl Talk's Aphex Twin/Souljah Boy as weirdest pairing of something with Aphex Twin after only like two weeks, and Lost In The World->Who Will Survive, which needs to be rearranged by a really really ambitious acapella group as soon as possible.

*: Here, "best moments" indicates the highlighted is fantastic as opposed to merely great

e: Yeah no loving way I was making it through to that show on no sleep like I got last night http://twitter.com/#!/brooklynvegan/status/7305677550649344

Im only slightly exaggerating when i say that i would kill someone to be at that show right now.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I thought everybody was exaggerating about the mastering of this poo poo. Then I listened to it on headphones. :wtf:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

BrandNew posted:

Im only slightly exaggerating when i say that i would kill someone to be at that show right now.

I'm not, I'd use my hands if I had to.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

^burtle posted:

I'm not, I'd use my hands if I had to.

The thing that really bothers me is i couldve been in NYC for the past few days if i had gone with my friend. WHY DID I NOT GO?! gently caress my life.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

The Singing Chav posted:

I thought everybody was exaggerating about the mastering of this poo poo. Then I listened to it on headphones. :wtf:

Yeah, I agree with this. I've never had problems with mastering before, and I tend to agree with the "dudes complaining about it are sperglords" camp, but when the album moved from my car to my headphones, I could really tell the difference.

It seems like Kanye, master of perfection and detail-oriented dude that he is, would take issue with this were it brought to his attention.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Jam2 posted:

when and where

I can't tell you how many interviews I've read about this album so I can't possibly place where it is. I wish I could, because I'd like to read it again.

BrandNew posted:

I can't wait for him to come to LA. Because I will pay much more than my weekly pay to go see him, AND I WON'T EVEN FLINCH.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma
I'll report my girlfriend to Canadian homeland security and get her whole terrorist family for Kanye tickets.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
I wish I felt the same way about Nicki Minaj's verse. Listening to her rap is really grating for me. I think I dislike her as a rapper for the same reason other people like her as a rapper -- her spaztasticness on the mic just irritates me. Oh well.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LcnE_SM6x0

Kanye saying Kanye things.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Skeezy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LcnE_SM6x0

Kanye saying Kanye things.

I would've done bad things to be there .

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

kingcobweb posted:

Why are you comparing Kanye with Rubin? Rubin has no technical skills at all; he doesn't know the first thing about the mechanical/technical aspects of making an album. Kanye knows how to do things.

Rick Rubin has been in the industry five years longer than Kanye has been alive, I'm going to take his word on the technical aspect of things. I know that this is almost argumentum ad verecundiam; however, Rubin's work seems to perform well every time: Beastie Boys, Jay-Z, Public Enemy, Danzig, RHCP, Mars Volta, Dixie Chicks, etc. Rick Rubin has plenty of experience to validate his claims.

kingcobweb posted:

Also, I am constantly baffled why people seem to think the most important topic for discussion when any big-name new album comes out is its mixing and mastering. There are other aspects to the music. You can even have opinions on them.

This wasn't the most important topic to me. I decided to do some research after people were complaining about it. I found an interview with Rick Rubin, thought that those interested might want to read it. I wasn't intending it to shape the entirety of the discussion. I, personally, wish that I could listen to the full range of dynamics when listening to it, without some of the undue clipping (distortion is not clipping, for those who are curious). There are the low parts that I wish would be more noticable. If that could have happened *and* the same maxing out/claustrophobic effect would have occurred, I would have been fine with the mastering.

On the actual music:

Can anyone point out where La Roux is actually featured on All of the Lights?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The best thing about the album was helping me discover Minaj.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

if anyone has any tips on how to get into gorgeous, so appalled, and blame game i'd appreciate it. all three of those are so boring to me, but i wish i could like them as much as the rest of the album.

also i cant listen to devil in a new dress without just wondering what ghostface would sound like ripping over that beat instead.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

a milk crime posted:

Can anyone point out where La Roux is actually featured on All of the Lights?

Elly Jackson says she can't even hear her vocals on the track. It's pretty heavily layered.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

if anyone has any tips on how to get into gorgeous, so appalled, and blame game i'd appreciate it. all three of those are so boring to me, but i wish i could like them as much as the rest of the album.

also i cant listen to devil in a new dress without just wondering what ghostface would sound like ripping over that beat instead.

For me, the best parts of So Appalled are Jay's flow, Pusha T's verse, and the strings in the sample.

Big fan of the line "Range rove leather roof/love war gently caress a truce/Still move a bird like I'm in bed with mother goose"

Blinkz0rz fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 24, 2010

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Q-Tip was tweeting earlier that Chain Gang Heavy and Mama's Boyfriend are going to be on the next pressing of the album as bonus tracks, though he isn't sure if Mama's Boyfriend is the version he (Tip) produced or the one Soulja Boy did.

Also no indication as to whether there will be even more bonus tracks or when the second pressing is gonna hit stores. Think I'm gonna wait for it to pick up my hard copy though.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

"Gorgeous"'s hook is infectious. I haven't listened to the album since the day of the explicit leak (it's been snowing hard so I had to order the CD from Amazon, getting it in today) and that was one of the moments that really stuck with me. "I will never ever let you live this down, down..."

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 24, 2010

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Brett824 posted:

Elly Jackson says she can't even hear her vocals on the track. It's pretty heavily layered.

Where'd you read this?

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1652700/20101119/la_roux.jhtml

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Video/Photos of the Bowery show: http://pitchfork.com/news/40816-report-kanye-raps-sings-rants-at-nyc-gig/

Justin Vernon attempting to groove during "Monster" is pretty :3:

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
So Appalled and Blame Game are still my least favorites but I won't skip them now.
DIAND and Gorgeous are... gorgeous. Rick Ross' verse on DIAND is surprisingly loving awesome. I love that weird grunting/coughing noise he does a few times. :cool:
Yeah whoever said that thing about Ghost shoulda been on that song had the right idea.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Does the news media now gently caress with Kanye just to be ironic now? They're quoting the Kanye speech from Bowery out of context and making him look awful when the speech was about the media doing that exact thing. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights
Glad I didn't go (even though I have the flu and could not have). I woulda have been hella upset when he didn't encore with "Drive Slow".

I coulda taken Paul Wall's verse.

• Locked thread