Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

LLJKSiLk posted:

I demand some EU material covering the trip between the Star Destroyer and Bespin that logically leads to the "I love you" moment before Han is frozen.

Not quite, but close:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A_Valentine_Story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

tin can made man posted:

I mean, Jabba the Hutt could be seen as a super offensive Arab stereotype, if you chose to read him as such. He's fat, opulent, lives in a desert palace, keeps several female slaves, smokes a hookah, talks in a funny foreign language, and keeps court over a silk-draped den of thieves.
Not only that, but "Hutt" was derived from "ḥawt," the Arabic term for "whale."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

tin can made man posted:

And what I'm saying is that maybe George Lucas wasn't as sensitive to that fact and just wanted to have that classic archetype as a villain.

And then added the accent of another classic archetype, the Charlie Chan-esque comedic asian.

e: I think the Nemoidians dressed more like Guinan than anything else.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

T-1000 posted:

Even more obvious, if you're ugly, you're probably evil. The disfigured/masked other with an ominous voice is always the villain in the pulps. Normally it's just a foreigner with an accent and a scar or an eyepatch. Lucas went the whole hog and made him a cyborg with a gas mask, voiced by James Earl Jones no less.

This is stretching a bit and is inconsistant with the facts. We don't even know that Vader is disfigured until the next movie.

Vader is more of the "Black Knight" stereotype, down to the suit of armor. Star Wars didnt JUST borrow from pulp it borrowed from European and Japanese fantasy. Vader was the black knight or evil samurai. Even his mask is meant to look like a Samurai's helm.

Even James Earl Jones says he picked him because he wanted a deep, booming voice, not because he was black. For a time Orson Welles was up for a possibility, but they thought he would be too recognizable and break immersion. Jones had a similar deep voice and was an unknown.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

RagnarokAngel posted:

For a time Orson Welles was up for a possibility, but they thought he would be too recognizable and break immersion.

Aw crap, now you've got me trying to imagine a Star Warsy version of "Frozen Peas" and it's really hard. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Okay, I have to say this its bothered me forever.

When the A Wing crashes into the bridge of the Executor, how the HELL did they lose control?

I am going under the assumption that large battle-wagons such as the Executor have some sort of secondary control room, much like Destroyers or Battleships in real life do.

A SINGLE A Wing cause the loss of control of a ship 12 x the size of a normal Star Destroyer, not to mention the Executor had MASSIVE wings of fighters and more than the "Entire legion" that the emperor placed on the planet. That single ship could have EASILY wiped all the Rebel ships in orbit AND assaulted the planet.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Okay, I have to say this its bothered me forever.

When the A Wing crashes into the bridge of the Executor, how the HELL did they lose control?

I am going under the assumption that large battle-wagons such as the Executor have some sort of secondary control room, much like Destroyers or Battleships in real life do.

A SINGLE A Wing cause the loss of control of a ship 12 x the size of a normal Star Destroyer, not to mention the Executor had MASSIVE wings of fighters and more than the "Entire legion" that the emperor placed on the planet. That single ship could have EASILY wiped all the Rebel ships in orbit AND assaulted the planet.

It is kind of odd since the auxiliary control rooms are mentioned in a bunch of the EU books, but a theory made in Zahn's Thrawn trilogy was that during battles the Emperor was using the force to subtly control everyone in the fleet and improve performance. When Vader killed him, fleet cohesion fell apart and people still did their jobs, but really shittily, which coincidentally was at about the time that A wing hit the bridge.
:goonsay:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It probably takes more than a few seconds for control to switch to the secondary location. Or even if it can be done instantly, that doesn't mean it automatically would be.

If you're the officer in charge of auxiliary control, are you going to push the panic button at the very first hint of trouble? (The captain will probably get pissed at you the third or fourth time you seize control away from him because somebody spilled his coffee into his console.) Chances are you'll take a few seconds and confirm that the bridge has actually been hit and is no longer giving orders.

It was just bad luck that the ship swung around wildly and immediately plowed straight into the Death Star. If it had been farther away, there would probably have been time for the crew to recover control.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
The Executor blowing up is a really bad effect and looks like rear end. It's one thing I was actually hoping they had fixed when the special editions were being released.

Fledgling Gulps fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 23, 2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

It probably takes more than a few seconds for control to switch to the secondary location. Or even if it can be done instantly, that doesn't mean it automatically would be.

If you're the officer in charge of auxiliary control, are you going to push the panic button at the very first hint of trouble? (The captain will probably get pissed at you the third or fourth time you seize control away from him because somebody spilled his coffee into his console.) Chances are you'll take a few seconds and confirm that the bridge has actually been hit and is no longer giving orders.

It was just bad luck that the ship swung around wildly and immediately plowed straight into the Death Star. If it had been farther away, there would probably have been time for the crew to recover control.

I think it was ridiculous, the Empire always seems to have some sort of plot device implanted that gives the Rebels all these chances to defy the odds.

And, since we don't really have battle plans or the movements made by the Empire and Rebels fleets, how did the Executor go from being on the far side of a pincer movement to right BESIDE the Death Star? It should have had MUCHO sufficient space for damage control and time to regain its C2 systems. Unless by some weird coincidence the helmsman died with his foot on the gas peddle...

The Star Wars wikipedia said it was a massive bunch of explosions due to all the power units on the ship exploding in series....I am calling bull right there, I am confident that engineers designing the ship KNEW it would go into an active fight where there MAY be explosions and it should have had a sufficient damage control system in place (fire fighting systems, secure bulkheads, purge systems, etc.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Okay then. A wizard Jedi did it. :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

Okay then. A wizard Jedi did it. :)

Oh I loved the Star Wars wiki's explaination for the empire practically running away like scared dogs after the Death Star blew up.

It was all the emperor baby....

skindepth
Jun 22, 2010

So wait, Emperor Palpatine had battle meditation? I thought that was largely specific to the KOTOR games. Still, anything that brings them more into official canon is good from my point of view.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

skindepth posted:

So wait, Emperor Palpatine had battle meditation? I thought that was largely specific to the KOTOR games. Still, anything that brings them more into official canon is good from my point of view.

Yes, according to this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Endor

Go down to Aftermath

EDIT: Woops, according to the Wiki it was Grand Admiral Nial Declann aboard the Death Star using battle meditation.

None the less, according to the wiki the death of the Emperor made the Elite Imperial Navy less elite, apparently it was all the Emperor's doing

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 23, 2010

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

skindepth posted:

Battle meditation didn't originate in KOTOR, it originated in the Tales of the Jedi comics that KOTOR was based off of. It's been used in a lot of other EU stuff also. Actually KOTOR is pretty well integrated into the rest of the EU all things considered - an issue of the Republic comics was set in a Rakatan temple, there are a lot of callbacks to it in the Legacy comics (including the spirit of Nihilus appearing), the Darth Bane books are basically sequels to KOTOR I, Traviss mentions a lot of the Mandalorian stuff from KOTOR in her books, etc.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 23, 2010

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

It goes back farther than that -- it's a plot point in Heir to the Empire. I'm pretty sure it was just described, though, and not explicitly called Force™ Battle Meditation™.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It made sense to me. The Emperor's motivations are a little vague, but his immediate goals seem to be the subjugation of all intelligent life to his direct domination, terror reducing them to near-mindless thralls, perfect obedience only spoiled by the occasional trembling hesitation. Some kind of ultimate expression of the dark side: fear, aggression, and anger.

Though maybe it only seems like that because his motivations are not explored?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I'd swear the Nemoidians say 'Herro' in TPM...

If I could even bring myself to watch it to prove myself right/wrong I would. Until then, that's the nail in the coffin to the argument.

And does anyone else see Omid Djalili when they hear Watto's voice? I'm talking about like when he did the Mummy or portrays any other Middle Eastern for that matter in film.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

It is kind of odd since the auxiliary control rooms are mentioned in a bunch of the EU books, but a theory made in Zahn's Thrawn trilogy was that during battles the Emperor was using the force to subtly control everyone in the fleet and improve performance. When Vader killed him, fleet cohesion fell apart and people still did their jobs, but really shittily, which coincidentally was at about the time that A wing hit the bridge.
:goonsay:

The auxiliary control rooms are right behind the primary ones, so the A-wing smashed through both.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

The auxiliary control rooms are right behind the primary ones, so the A-wing smashed through both.

True cause of the Empire's downfall: hiring designers off craigslist

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

True cause of the Empire's downfall: hiring designers off craigslist

Somebody photoshop this up like now.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

ZeeToo posted:

That's literally the worst design plan I've ever heard.

I mean to beat that level of stupid you'd need, like, the ship's stockpile of kerosene to be stored right next to their torpedo storage bay or something.

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

Slantedfloors posted:

I mean to beat that level of stupid you'd need, like, the ship's stockpile of kerosene to be stored right next to their torpedo storage bay or something.

Nope. Star Destroyers don't carry any kerosene. The main torpedo magazine is on deck 47, right next to the firing range and directly above the main reactor. Due to cost cutting, the wall between the firing range and the torpedo magazine is a piece of stainless steel sheet metal.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Galactic Empire and Old Republics Engineers are morons.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Slantedfloors posted:

My wife works at a hotel and in the basement where they do laundry, there is this huge hot iron that presses all the sheets. This thing gets up to almost 150 degrees. Wanna know what's just inches from it?

The main natural gas line.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Diagram of a SSD's bridge tower.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
That thing is way too loving big. How do they fit that many zeros on the funding papers approving that thing to be built.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

Diagram of a SSD's bridge tower.

Off topic, but from the text blurb there I see that the history of the Executor is yet another part of established EU lore that Force Unleashed shits over.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Chairman Capone posted:

Off topic, but from the text blurb there I see that the history of the Executor is yet another part of established EU lore that Force Unleashed shits over.

Yeah, though i'm not sure how the Empire would have the resoruces to build both the Death Star , and the Executor , along with whatever other ships all at once.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 25, 2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nckdictator posted:

Yeah, though i'm not sure how the Empire would have the resoruces to build both the Death Star , and the Executor , along with whatever over ships all at once.

Accordingly they bankrupted several start systems to build them.

This is such a stupid design. REALLY loving stupid, so stupid in fact that I refuse to believe that is real

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Chairman Capone posted:

No, you see, the one in TFU is actually a prototype that was going to be destroyed in TFU3 and the Emperor decides to rebuild it after the destrcution of the first Death Star because Vader wanted a new one :shepface:

E: vv If the HW2 mod Warlords has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough Star Destroyers and Titan Cruisers.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 25, 2010

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Nckdictator posted:

Yeah, though i'm not sure how the Empire would have the resoruces to build both the Death Star , and the Executor , along with whatever over ships all at once.

The Empire has control of an entire galaxy and has access to technology that can convert raw materials into finished products (see: World Devastators, Coruscant building recyclers). They literally have an entire galaxy's worth of raw materials. The question isn't how does the Empire have the resources to build that poo poo, it's why haven't they built MORE?

Dewclaw
Apr 22, 2010
I must share my good news with you guys! I was at an old thrifts store today and found the original, unaltered trilogy box set for three dollars! Three!

However, I'm incredibly broke right now, and couldn't buy it, even though I'd had an eye out for it for a while. Then my girlfriend whipped out her wallet, and in it was exactly three dollars and the amount of change needed for tax!

It was like the sun just illuminated the store and angels started singing. It was a beautiful day.

tl;dr

We spent our last three dollars on Star Wars.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's when you get home and find out you don't have a VCR.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

The Empire has control of an entire galaxy and has access to technology that can convert raw materials into finished products (see: World Devastators, Coruscant building recyclers). They literally have an entire galaxy's worth of raw materials. The question isn't how does the Empire have the resources to build that poo poo, it's why haven't they built MORE?

Well, that little Galactic Civil War thing comes to mind.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Mecha Gojira posted:

Yeah one thing star wars has is a real problem with scale. The books and games seem all over the place when it comes to how big fleets really are. For example in one book you get the capital of the empire defended by only 4 star destroyers (remember this is an empire of over 3 million planets) in another you get the average garrison of a backwater sector consisting of over 24 star destroyers backed up hundreds of smaller ships and fighters. That's before we get into the whole Karen Traviss inspired 3 million clones thing.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Mecha Gojira posted:

Manpower, it takes thousands if not tens of thousands of people to man one, and those many people could be more easily trained as stormtroopers or even put them to work in the industrial sector. The benefit of super star-destroyers, star-destroyers, etc. is not as much as that of thousands of ground troops.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

homerlaw posted:

Manpower, it takes thousands if not tens of thousands of people to man one, and those many people could be more easily trained as stormtroopers or even put them to work in the industrial sector. The benefit of super star-destroyers, star-destroyers, etc. is not as much as that of thousands of ground troops.

Remember when they tried to solve that issue with computers and Dreadnaughts? good times!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

homerlaw posted:

You figure with all that automation in the future manpower requirements for starships would be minimal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CommieGIR posted:

You figure with all that automation in the future manpower requirements for starships would be minimal

That being the case then why bother making them so large?