Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Casao posted:

Trying MIUI again, really digging it a lot more this time.

It's gotten way way better. Specifically in the past two or three updates it's gotten very polished. New updates every Friday, and a pretty solid team working on English translations at http://forums.miui-dev.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

TB saved my Angry Birds stuff. Are you looking under com.rovio.angrybirds* ?
It's not there.

MeKeV posted:

I had TB missing out some apps, I hit problems? and reinstalled the busybox. That sorted it for me.
Did this, still not there.

I guess I could go ahead and uninstall/reinstall, but I just did that when I flashed (I didn't restore any apps or data, just allowed them to download and reset them myself).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Neurophonic posted:

The fact the weekly updates actually add full new features or three and don't introduce many new bugs is incredible, I've been using it for well over a month and haven't missed CM6 much at all.

I'm using the The Bundle, which is just the basic stuff. I'm even sticking with the stock Launcher 2, since it's actually kinda nice once you get used to it.

The new settings is a shameless iPhone ripoff, but it works as well as the other one did so who cares.

The whole UI is very nice. I really want to see Google hire the MIUI guys and Team Douche and just hand Android development to them. Between the two of them, they could do some intensely cool poo poo.

flyboi posted:

MIUI + AOSP icon set makes it more than tolerable. I absolutely hate the stock MIUI icons but I love all the customizations that come with each week. It would be cooler if they would do like 2 week updates or something because the weekly flashing to see what awesome new crap is in is cumbersome. Plus I am helping with the MIUI-dev team with translation and theming which gets tiresome.

I'm fine with iPhone icons, so it doesn't bug me.

Weekly flashing isn't too bad if you have ROM Manager, but you're right, I really wish someone would put something up on ROM Manager for this.

LastInLine posted:

It's not there.

I guess I could go ahead and uninstall/reinstall, but I just did that when I flashed (I didn't restore any apps or data, just allowed them to download and reset them myself).

If it wasn't there, installing BusyBox wouldn't add it, it would just probably make it able to back it up.

Mogomra posted:

It's gotten way way better. Specifically in the past two or three updates it's gotten very polished. New updates every Friday, and a pretty solid team working on English translations at http://forums.miui-dev.com/

Yeah, there were a few bugs last time I used it, which I'm not seeing this time. It's still definitely Android, which is great, but things like the Lockscreen, MusicPlayer and notification tray are so much nicer that it blows my mind.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

flyboi posted:

MIUI + AOSP icon set makes it more than tolerable. I absolutely hate the stock MIUI icons but I love all the customizations that come with each week. It would be cooler if they would do like 2 week updates or something because the weekly flashing to see what awesome new crap is in is cumbersome. Plus I am helping with the MIUI-dev team with translation and theming which gets tiresome.

Where can I find these icons? I like rounded icons MIUI brings but not the fact not every app uses them right.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MIUI Music app owns. But it doesn't support last.fm scrobbling :saddowns:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

LastInLine posted:

It's not there.

Does Angry Birds still not show up in TB for you?

If it doesn't did you try refreshing the apps list and/or reinstalling TB? I know it's kind of a dumb question but other than that I can't think of what else to do.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Skeezy posted:

Where can I find these icons? I like rounded icons MIUI brings but not the fact not every app uses them right.

http://miui-dev.com/forums/showthread.php?219-ALL-MIUI-aosp-elements-redux

There are a lot of different themes popping up too.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Casao posted:

MIUI Music app owns. But it doesn't support last.fm scrobbling :saddowns:

The developers post on that MIUI-dev.com forum now, so make a feature request, and I'm sure it'll be added before mid-December.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Does Angry Birds still not show up in TB for you?

If it doesn't did you try refreshing the apps list and/or reinstalling TB? I know it's kind of a dumb question but other than that I can't think of what else to do.
I didn't try refreshing the apps list but it still didn't show up. I haven't tried reinstalling TB yet but I'm sure I will eventually. Now that I know where the backup data is located for AB I'm not that worried about it.

Edit: Went ahead and reinstalled TB and now it's there.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 24, 2010

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
Looking at youtubes of MIUI is what is finally going to push me over the edge and make me root my EVO.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

tehfox0r posted:

Looking at youtubes of MIUI is what is finally going to push me over the edge and make me root my EVO.

I picked up MIUI yesterday and absolutely love it. It's amazing, and apparently 11.26 is adding Messaging widget.

It's pretty, it's fast, and it's stable. It's an amazing effort.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sorry I'm asking here instead of researching myself, I'm pretty busy.

But does anyone have an incredible and use MIUI? Any problems with it a la CM 6's camcorder FC?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Casao posted:

I picked up MIUI yesterday and absolutely love it. It's amazing, and apparently 11.26 is adding Messaging widget.

It's pretty, it's fast, and it's stable. It's an amazing effort.

I'm really happy with my current setup, but from watching a video of it, there's a few things that really stand out with MIUI that I'd love to see elsewhere:

* Waaaaaaay better homescreen management (drag and drop to rearrage? why the gently caress don't I have that now?)
* Widget placement system that takes the guesswork out of "do I have room for this widget I've never seen before?"
* Cleaner menu interface

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

MIUI is really drat nice, just gotta get used to the rounded icons. I used the AOSP Icon pack, but I don't want to change ALL the icons. Just some of them, that's all.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Skeezy posted:

MIUI is really drat nice, just gotta get used to the rounded icons. I used the AOSP Icon pack, but I don't want to change ALL the icons. Just some of them, that's all.

What Beautiful Widget skins are you guys using? Cause I'm having trouble finding a good one.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Casao posted:

What Beautiful Widget skins are you guys using? Cause I'm having trouble finding a good one.

Letters. It's the only one I ever use.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Casao posted:

I'm using LPP with MIUI so I based my choice on how it looks with a resized widget, but I'm using "Glow_Droid"

Looks pretty good on top of a resized simi clock widget.

I'm going to miss those 70 degree temps..

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Virtuous ROM is killing my battery life on my Incredible.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
I've had only good battery life with Virtuous. What kernel are you using? The latest stock one is good.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Doctor Butts posted:

Sorry I'm asking here instead of researching myself, I'm pretty busy.

But does anyone have an incredible and use MIUI? Any problems with it a la CM 6's camcorder FC?

I'm having no such problems.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

Oh god help me. I rooted my EVO, backed everything up with titanium backup, and flashed MIUI for EVO 1.29 with ROM Manager (backing up my ROM when I did it). Now it won't boot! Oh god oh jesus christ, oh :ohdear:, it just goes to the ANDROID MIUI logo, stops, then repeats itself over and over and over without ever booting. Did I do something wrong? :(

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

tehfox0r posted:

Oh god help me. I rooted my EVO, backed everything up with titanium backup, and flashed MIUI for EVO 1.29 with ROM Manager (backing up my ROM when I did it). Now it won't boot! Oh god oh jesus christ, oh :ohdear:, it just goes to the ANDROID MIUI logo, stops, then repeats itself over and over and over without ever booting. Did I do something wrong? :(

It's a boot loop. No big deal. Boot into recovery to fix.

Did you wipe data and cache? If not, do that, then re-flash the rom in Recovery.

If so, do it again, reflash the rom.

If it doesn't work, or if you want to go back, just restore the backup from Recovery.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Oh god my phone is hosed help me.

First, take a deep breath - it's incredibly difficult to brick an Android phone. Is your phone in a bootloop? Does everything force close everytime your phone starts? You can fix all of this very easily.

Boot into Recovery. How to do this varies by phone - for instance, on the N1 you hold down the trackball and turn the device on, then select Recovery from the Bootloader option. Google around to find out how to do it for your phone - it'll be quicker than asking here and waiting for a response.

Once you're in recovery, you have a few options.

First is a no-wipe flash. This means basically flashing the rom you're currently using again - this will fix any gently caress ups to the /system files or default poo poo. This is a great first step, since it's non-destructive - you won't lose any data. The zip should be on the root of your SD if you installed it manually, or in the clockworkmod downloads folder if you used rom manager.

If this doesn't work, Wipe and Flash. Choose the Wipe data and Wipe cache options. You might also wanna wipe android_secure and anything els that's an option. Then, flash your rom. This is basically a factory restore of your rom - it'll take you back to a brand new phone. This will NOT wipe your sd card generally, so you won't lose pictures or music or anything, but it's always good to have a backup just in case. Then, flash your rom as above.

There's also Nandroid Restore. Everytime you mess with your rom, take a backup. Applying a theme? take a backup. Flashing a new rom, take a backup. Modifying a single file? You should probably take a backup. It takes a few minutes and very little space, and it saves you a ton of time. DO IT. Choose the restore option. Note that Clockwork mod has the option of restoring specific parts of a backup - generally, you'll want to chose the Restore All option, but there might be a reason for restoring only one. There's no need to wipe or flash anything here, since it will be overwritten.

Recovery will also let you mount your phone to your PC - this is usually called USB-MS or some variation. Using this option lets you copy backups to/from your PC, as well as put new rom zips on your phone. Very useful.

Generally, Recovery will let you fix any issue with your rom itself. Bootloops, bad apps, permissions gone nuts, whatever. It'll fix you right up.

If, for some reason, you can't get into recovery, you're a bit more limited. Depending on the phone, you might be in trouble. Boot into fastboot/hboot/bootloader. Again, google how to do this. N1 is hold trackball and power on.

The bootloader is a very small, low level system that allows you to flash images of various types. This will require a PC with a working usb/adb driver, so make sure you have that set up.

You can then use the fastboot application on your computer to flash a new recovery image. Note that this is only going to work with an unlocked bootloader. The Nexus One has one, and believe most HTCs have an option to do this when rooting - it might be called S-OFF or similar. This will let you re-flash your custom recovery.

If your phone is NOT S-OFF/unlocked bootloader, you might still be able to return it to stock. To do this, find a thread on XDA/similar for your phone devoted to a return to stock. You'll need to find a 100% stock Recovery image and a 100% stock rom image. Follow the directions from the thread you found the images in to restore yourself to a factory recovery, and then use that to flash a factory update.zip. This will unroot your phone, so keep that in mind.

S-OFF is, aside from being a major convenience, a safety net. It's the only thing that you generally can't undo if you're planning to get warranty service but it will allow you to fix almost any software issue. HTC has been good about honoring warranties for hardware defects even on S-OFF phones, but it's not guaranteed.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

E: Nevermind, figured it out. Thank you for the help :)

george soros irl fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 25, 2010

Inverted Sanity
Nov 27, 2007
Lies and trickery!
Edit: Nevermind.

Inverted Sanity fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 25, 2010

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

God Exists. posted:

I've had only good battery life with Virtuous. What kernel are you using? The latest stock one is good.

I use the "Full ROM" from this page: http://www.virtuousrom.com/p/download.html

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Skeezy posted:

The themes are really easy to modify.. Just unzip the theme, delete the images you don't want and then zip it all back up!

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma

Aatrek posted:

I use the "Full ROM" from this page: http://www.virtuousrom.com/p/download.html

Try the latest stock Kernel available in ROM Manager. I haven't got less than two days of use out of a single charge since I started using it (around 8-9 hours of awake time) on a 1300mah battery.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

So I tried out and played with MIUI on my EVO. I liked it a lot, however the battery life was abysmal when idle and I couldn't get used to having a ton of homescreens for every single app I had and I missed the App drawer terribly. I know you could make folders for your apps in MIUI, but that just became burdensome after some time and I gave up. If there was a way to use MIUI and literally have the LauncherPro app drawer icon on bottom dock, I'd be sold. I've even considered putting every app I don't need on my home screen into a single folder and go from there, but browsing your apps from the folder view is burdensome and not very efficient in that small window. I guess I'm not very good at dealing with change :(

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

tehfox0r posted:

So I tried out and played with MIUI on my EVO. I liked it a lot, however the battery life was abysmal when idle and I couldn't get used to having a ton of homescreens for every single app I had and I missed the App drawer terribly. I know you could make folders for your apps in MIUI, but that just became burdensome after some time and I gave up. If there was a way to use MIUI and literally have the LauncherPro app drawer icon on bottom dock, I'd be sold. I've even considered putting every app I don't need on my home screen into a single folder and go from there, but browsing your apps from the folder view is burdensome and not very efficient in that small window. I guess I'm not very good at dealing with change :(

This was covered earlier in the thread. I actually asked that question; just install Launcherpro.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can someone give me a rundown of what makes MIUI so great

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Captain Charisma posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of what makes MIUI so great

Better music player, better lock screen with music controls, better theming capabilities, fast as gently caress and very nice to my battery.

This is in comparison to CM6.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

flyboi posted:

Better music player, better lock screen with music controls, better theming capabilities, fast as gently caress and very nice to my battery.

This is in comparison to CM6.

Speaking of the music player, they updated it in MIUI 11.26

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
CM6 RC2 is out for the N1, Evo, and Slide if anyone's not giving MIUI a whirl.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Virtuous ROM seems to be working better for me since I installed their custom kernel, but now my battery widget (Battery Left) doesn't seem to work right.

Anybody know a good battery widget I should try?

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

Cyanogen Mod v6.1-RC2 was released this morning / last night for those of you interested. I can't find a changelog yet, but you can download and flash it.

http://mirror.teamdouche.net/get/supersonic/update-cm-6.1.0-RC2-Supersonic-signed.zip
http://goo-inside.me/google-apps/gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip (GApps)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

jusion posted:

Cyanogen Mod v6.1-RC2 was released this morning / last night for those of you interested. I can't find a changelog yet, but you can download and flash it.

http://mirror.teamdouche.net/get/supersonic/update-cm-6.1.0-RC2-Supersonic-signed.zip
http://goo-inside.me/google-apps/gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip (GApps)
This link is for the Evo for those who are wondering.

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

LastInLine posted:

This link is for the Evo for those who are wondering.
Oh, right. I forgot the threads consolidated. RC-2 is also out for Nexus One and Slide.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mogomra posted:

CM6 RC2 is out for the N1, Evo, and Slide if anyone's not giving MIUI a whirl.

I'm digging on the new lock screen options (gestures + phone/SMS).

I gave MIUI a try a few days ago and while it was nice I just couldn't get into it. Navigation and settings just seemed super unintuitive. Plus I was having some major issues with the Market and AGPS.

Vanilla 4 lyfe, y0.

Edit: Credit to the MIUI group for making a fantastic Android ROM though. I like it way more than Sense or any of the other carrier OS injections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Flashed CM6.1rc2 on my wife's slide, everything seems a-okay. She doesn't gently caress with her phone like I do, but I assume all is well. I did an in-place upgrade over rc1, so if she reports any nastiness, I'll run a clean install and see if it behaves better.

I also got off my rear end and rooted and flashed my Vibrant because I was tired of waiting on samsung. I tried Axura 2.0.5, and it's nice, except for some goofy font and UI elements. Still, it shows a lot of polish, and it's certainly quicker. Mainly, I was just sick of the cool stuff coming in requiring 2.2, and I was on the sidelines. I'm looking forward to trying out Onyx once they work out all their bugs. The XDA forums for the team whiskey roms have a lot of gotcha's. It was also nice to be able to do a regular clockwork install, rather than have to mess around with the odin nonsense.

Hoping that the Nexus S means that the galaxy series gets an early 2.3.