Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Just saw this on my buddy's fb profile who went to Syracuse Law.

"About Me: I went to law school, I now work at Chipotle."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

Unlike mookie he's in a growing business.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

I'd laugh but technically he beat me there (they never responded to my application)

Fortunately things are looking a little better for me right now - I'm blowing things up at the temp job I'm at (because the work is so easy that a second-grader could do it and I'm significantly smarter than a second grader). A copywriter position opened up while I was here and I applied for it and they're considering me for it even though I technically have no experience in that field and they're asking for 2-5. I got through the interview stages and the next step is to submit a writing test, which I'm gonna do this weekend. Then I guess they compare it to the other applicants or something. I dunno. We'll see. The writing style is totally different from what I'm used to - it's for a travel company so I have to write a letter from the VP to potential customers saying stuff like "my trip to tunisia was magnificent, I walked in the shadows of history and you too can do the same, here's how our company's trip is awesome and why you should pay $3000 for a vacation with us". I have to be all flowery and romantic and I've had three years of training of avoiding that style at any cost so I DUNNO

Even if I don't get it they said they'll probably have projects for me that I can work on on a part time basis after this one ends so maybe I won't have to renew my application to starbucks for a while after all!

anyway sorry to hear about your bonus mookie sounds like you're in a rough spot

Harry Ellis
Nov 9, 2004

Hans, bubby, I'm your white knight!
:qq: I work so hard and nobody appreciates me :qq:

*spends meager 5-digit bonus on expensive holiday gifts*

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope I earn 5 digits this year

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Just gave myself the old five-digit bonus if you catch my drift

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

how about an old fashioned for the road

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
This bonus news hurts me the most because I have a very specific watch collection I intend to build over the next several years and this is making some of the Patek Phillipes I was looking at questionable. The fiscally responsible thing would be to downgrade to IWC or Panerai.

E: To Mookie, that's a harsh stat you just listed. There's gotta be a better way.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I still love you even if you ignore me at the red light

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Solomon Grundy posted:

Ouch. Has the thread finally turned on our brightest star? Is Mookie no longer our favorite son? That very same callousness to the suffering of others is what lead to Mookie's amusing thread indentity (e.g. "skulls for the skull throne.")

I don't want to even begin to suggest that Mookie isn't deserving of whatever he wants out of his career. He's worked plenty hard enough, to hear him tell it. As a son of Detroit however an early lesson I received is that you never EVER bitch about money in a room full of unemployed people. The kindest response from your audience will be indifference.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Did you guys see this gem?

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm a lawyer and I make about 29k. I feel like if I had 50k I'd never have a worry in the world. Or my current salary and no law school debt. Or if I want to retire ever maybe a little more. I don't want nice things. I just don't want to have an existential crisis when the check engine light in my hyundai comes on.

edit: 3-4 years ago when I thought 50 was a given I probably would have said 100+

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

BigHead posted:

It obviously depends on the subject matter and how long you've been doing legal writing, what kind of writer you are, and how familiar you are with the subject. Are we talking after the research and factual gathering has been done? Or starting from scratch? As a 1L or a law clerk? As you get more experienced, it shouldn't take more than a day to whip out a 15 page memo if you know the subject well enough.

This was after research was done, I'm a 1L and it took me about a 9-5 day with breaks for breakfast and lunch - it's entirely possible that I worked quickly with lovely quality, though, so eh. It's weird, I don't dislike the actual process, it just takes valuable starcraft time so it bothers me.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Direwolf posted:

This was after research was done, I'm a 1L and it took me about a 9-5 day with breaks for breakfast and lunch - it's entirely possible that I worked quickly with lovely quality, though, so eh. It's weird, I don't dislike the actual process, it just takes valuable starcraft time so it bothers me.

You'll get faster. The research is the part that takes the longest.

And then eventually you'll just say "gently caress memos" and write the drat motion yourself.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hope I earn 5 digits this year
Letter to the ditor in my local paper

quote:

Re "OK, got a degree; where's my job?" (Page A1, Nov. 20): Long before today's generation, higher education was viewed as an opportunity to get educated in order to improve one's lot in life. Higher education has always promised the same opportunity to improve one's standing by allowing a young adult to get educated and thus have a skill set to become marketable.

Since the mid-'90s, college graduates have expected that a college education entitled them to a five- or six-figure salary even though the grads had not yet proven themselves worthy of such compensation. News flash – the only promise that comes with a degree is that you will increase your opportunities to find a job, not the job. That will take time, patience and hard work.

– Danny Delgado, Sacramento
See, you just aren't worthy of a five figure salary!

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
10000/yr is a five figure salary

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

atlas of bugs posted:

I still love you even if you ignore me at the red light

Can you tell the crazy old man at Rampart and Calliope that the last thing I want to do after 12 hours in the office is give him a dollar?

I've told him before but his Alzheimers must've progressed because he's started coming up to me again. Please do this every day

In exchange you may continue reading my posts. TIA

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Can you tell the crazy old man at Rampart and Calliope that the last thing I want to do after 12 hours in the office is give him a dollar?

I've told him before but his Alzheimers must've progressed because he's started coming up to me again. Please do this every day

In exchange you may continue reading my posts. TIA

You know Phil, I think you might be the perfect cranky yelly oldschool lawyer we need for a TLC series. Can you drink a lot and throw staplers at me occasionally?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Happy Thanksgiving. I'm going to be writing a paper and making eggs! Might even use some 2% in the mix, I dunno! I'm thankful for milk.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Happy Thanksgiving, I'll be writing a brief...for five minutes, then indulging in scotch, tequila, and moonshine. I'm thankful for liver health.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

billion dollar bitch posted:

10000/yr is a five figure salary
That was the point. You need to lower you standards and take 9k/yr

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

Feces Starship posted:

I don't want to even begin to suggest that Mookie isn't deserving of whatever he wants out of his career. He's worked plenty hard enough, to hear him tell it. As a son of Detroit however an early lesson I received is that you never EVER bitch about money in a room full of unemployed people. The kindest response from your audience will be indifference.

Actually, I would rather be unemployed than have Mookie's job. True story, bro.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Pulling an all-nighter to finish a paper; noticed there's a loving gray hair in my beard.

don't go

no jobs

age prematurely

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Hey Defleshed, my first round of real MCLE credit is due this summer, do you know what the best/cheapest way to get that done in Chicago is? Already have like 6ish credits but ugh I don't wanna pay thousands to finish this out.

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

I read A Civil Action while the fam watched football for 12 hours yesterday and I have a question: Did that judge royally gently caress it up, or was the book biased against him? He just seemed to hate Schlichtmann and was buddies with Facher, but I kept feeling like he must have been following protocol and Schlichtmann was too inexperienced to recognize it.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I need to go about finding an attorney, but I have never utilized an attorney before and have no idea what to look for and how not to get ripped off. I need the following:

1) Minor contract review. I will have a couple employment contracts I'd like an attorney to look over so that in all the legal language I don't miss something important.

2) Post-nuptual agreement. Pretty self-explanatory.

3) Power(s) of Attorney. I'll be out of country for at least one year, possibly two, and need to have my family handle some of my affairs while I am gone.

I assume that #2, the post-nup, is basically going to determine who I go with (and I also understand it will require her to get a separate attorney, as well)? What is the best way to go about searching for an attorney? I don't just want to open the phone book and pick at random, and I certainly don't want to get ripped off.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Rrail posted:

I assume that #2, the post-nup, is basically going to determine who I go with (and I also understand it will require her to get a separate attorney, as well)? What is the best way to go about searching for an attorney? I don't just want to open the phone book and pick at random, and I certainly don't want to get ripped off.

The best way to do this, typically, is ask person friends who you trust who have used a lawyer for the same or similar issues in the past and whose performance they were satisfied with. Barring that, most state bars have a lawyer referral service based on particular fields of law. Not necessarily the best mode of referral, but likely to yield better results than calling random guys from the phone book.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

prussian advisor posted:

The best way to do this, typically, is ask person friends who you trust who have used a lawyer for the same or similar issues in the past and whose performance they were satisfied with. Barring that, most state bars have a lawyer referral service based on particular fields of law. Not necessarily the best mode of referral, but likely to yield better results than calling random guys from the phone book.

I've asked around, no one has any family friends that are attorneys or anything. I guess I will be doing the referral from the bar deal. My friend is even going to law school in Seattle right now and doesn't know anyone.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

_areaman posted:

I read A Civil Action while the fam watched football for 12 hours yesterday and I have a question: Did that judge royally gently caress it up, or was the book biased against him? He just seemed to hate Schlichtmann and was buddies with Facher, but I kept feeling like he must have been following protocol and Schlichtmann was too inexperienced to recognize it.

The judge was an rear end in a top hat in that case. Schlictmann actually had a lot of experience and won a lot of major cases. The judge was just an rear end in a top hat, like most judges (and why Schlictmann's business model of 'only have one or two major cases' is idiotic. Judges ignore the law all the time).

e: bad grammar

JudicialRestraints fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 27, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

JudicialRestraints posted:

The judge was an rear end in a top hat...

The judge I/we clerk for is awesome and does NOT ignore the law thank you very much. It's only if you get into those retarded election-judge states that the judges care more about electrocutin' that particular bad guy* than justice. We care about justice in the Last Frontier.

Edit: god i'm so jaded after taking Innocent Project in law school. One of two actually useful classes. And I'm going to be a DA. Christ I hope this forum doesn't show up during my background check.
Edit2: this post is a friday-night clusterfuck.

*He had hair evidence AND a jailhouse snitch working against him! Oh and cross-racial identification (not-racist).

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 27, 2010

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Rrail posted:

You don't necessarily have to find a separate lawyer for #1 and #2. A lawyer that focuses on contracts would very likely be able to review both an employment contract and draft a post-nup, assuming that you do not have extremely specialized needs. If it's an odd employment situation or you have a shitload of assets for the post-nup, then you might consider a separate specialized attorney for each one. If the post-nup is the most important part, find a person that specializes in family law and see if they would be willing to review the employment contract as well. In a firm setting, it would be common to have one lawyer take care of your main concern but have a different lawyer in the firm take care of your needs in the other practice area.

If you literally don't know anyone that has ever used an attorney, then the lawyer referral service is probably your best bet.

That being said, remember you don't have to hire the first firm or lawyer you talk to. A lot of people do, but you have no obligation to do so. Ask the referral service for several names if they don't give you more than one, and talk to all of them and hire the one that meets your needs the best/doesn't treat you like a piece of poo poo.

If you're in Washington or Oregon you can PM me and I can probably give you a few leads that might be better than the lawyer referral service. I'm in Oregon though, so other than a few attorneys on the Washington side of the river here in Portland, any Washington names would just be a "know someone who knows someone" type of deal.

edit: I'm dumb and I just read your question a little closer. You meant your fiancee or new wife will also need to get her own attorney. That isn't strictly required, but any attorney who drafts the post-nup should jump up and down and tell you to make sure both parties have independent counsel. It is a good idea to have your wife get her own lawyer, both to make sure her interests are well-represented and to cover your own rear end in the future if anything were to go wrong, she wouldn't be able to claim she was strong-armed into signing it without knowing what it meant.

mushi fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 27, 2010

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

BigHead posted:

The judge I/we clerk for is awesome and does NOT ignore the law thank you very much. It's only if you get into those retarded election-judge states that the judges care more about electrocutin' that particular bad guy* than justice.

Electioneering BS in Texas is so bad, 60 minutes has actually done multiple reports on it.

If Texas Civil Procedure has taught me anything, it's that I want to stay in federal courts as much as possible.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Daico posted:

If Texas Civil Procedure has taught me anything, it's that I want to stay in federal courts as much as possible.

Or forum shop. Dallas County is plaintiff friendly at the moment and that makes me happy.

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS
I hope none of you guys forget to "give back" to your Universities and Law Schools which gave you the opportunity to acquire any wealth you will attain in the future.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Roger_Mudd posted:

Or forum shop. Dallas County is plaintiff friendly at the moment and that makes me happy.

"Now specializing in cases where a substantial part of the action accrued in Dallas County!"

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Forever Zero posted:

I hope none of you guys forget to "give back" to your Universities and Law Schools which gave you the opportunity to acquire any wealth you will attain in the future.
I love this poo poo. The law schools are so loving cold about it and do not wait even a goddamn year before sending poo poo your way. Some of my friends have toyed around with the idea of sending them a very nicely worded letter that says how much they would like to contribute and then sending them a donation for a negative amount, because that's all law school has gotten them. Negative income.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Northeastern at least has the courtesy to end its letters with something along the lines of "we understand that times are tough and many of you are still looking for work - if you can't donate, don't worry about it"

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

mushi posted:

I love this poo poo. The law schools are so loving cold about it and do not wait even a goddamn year before sending poo poo your way. Some of my friends have toyed around with the idea of sending them a very nicely worded letter that says how much they would like to contribute and then sending them a donation for a negative amount, because that's all law school has gotten them. Negative income.

The manipulative callers UCLAw sends after you make me feel like poo poo. They will do anything, say anything, to get money.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Copernic posted:

The manipulative callers UCLAw sends after you make me feel like poo poo. They will do anything, say anything, to get money.

Oh god, they actually call you on the phone? Northeastern and UConn (undergrad) just send letters. And UConn hasn't figured out that I moved out of my mom's house yet so she just throws them away for me.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Daico posted:

Electioneering BS in Texas is so bad, 60 minutes has actually done multiple reports on it.

No no no no no no

You do NOT want to be in federal court. Especially in the West District of Texas.

Federal judges will gently caress you.

You and opposing counsel both want to put the case on hold for Christmas/other cases?

The federal judge will scream "gently caress you, my court" and refuse to move anything. He holds all the power.

Edit: Also your possible jury pool is huge and full of hillbillies.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Copernic posted:

They are pretty bad for undergrad as well. A lot of the time it's Alumni Scholars doing their 20 hours or whatever it is to keep their scholarship going.