Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Universal is far and away the worst major studio doing Blu-Ray right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Inception reviewed

I know bitrate isn't everything, but it's still incredible to me that WB is releasing brand new movies at 20mbps.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FirstCongoWar posted:

If this: http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u98/adzez/Apollo%2013/Apollobd4.png

is supposed to look bad to me then I know I can steer clear of AVS Forum reviews forever

edit: reading through that thread a lot of the things they're pointing out is stuff I would never ever notice unless I was going through screencaps looking for stuff.

oh no those 3 tiny dots you can barely see on this unzoomed screencap and definitely won't notice if you have a normal person TV are blurrier! better not pay 3 dollars for this movie, it is trash

They are the biggest :spergin: group of people on the internet. It's best to ignore almost everything that comes out of it.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Urgh. These Amazon deals. In the past 2 days I've ordered:

American Psycho
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Last of the Mohicans
Role Models
Snatch

What's even worse is that I just moved on Sunday. I discovered today that I now like within 20 miles of an amazon shipping center. My 2 day Prime shipping only takes 1 day.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Sporadic posted:

They are the biggest :spergin: group of people on the internet. It's best to ignore almost everything that comes out of it.

While they can be pretty 'spergy sometimes, they can be right on the money once in a while. Case in point: Gladiator and Gangs of New York. Those two original transfers were absolutely atrocious and anyone who said they were decent transfers were probably blind. The replacements we ended up getting are gorgeous.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

VoodooXT posted:

While they can be pretty 'spergy sometimes, they can be right on the money once in a while. Case in point: Gladiator and Gangs of New York. Those two original transfers were absolutely atrocious and anyone who said they were decent transfers were probably blind. The replacements we ended up getting are gorgeous.

I still think Gladiator looked great. :confused:

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Rocco posted:

You're a crazy person

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rocco posted:

You are absolutely and completely blind, and shouldn't waste money on blu-rays if you think this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

GonSmithe posted:

You are absolutely and completely blind, and shouldn't waste money on blu-rays if you think this.

oh okay I'll stop

Edit: It wasn't like I was jizzing over the picture quality (and the Braveheart disc I popped in afterwards DID look a lot better), but I just didn't know there was anything "wrong" with it until people kept telling me there was.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.
Is this the one you guys are all talking about?

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare7/gladiator.htm

If it is, I'm confused because it got pretty good reviews. Was there a reissue or something?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

VoodooXT posted:

Gangs Of New York, yes I agree.
Gladiator...eh. I watched the original release and it didn't look that horrible in motion. The missing pieces of arrow things they were foaming at the mouth about was impossible to see unless you paused the movie and got close to your TV.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 24, 2010

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

William Pahllace posted:

If it is, I'm confused because it got pretty good reviews. Was there a reissue or something?

I believe the complaints stem from DNR, too much of it makes people looks like figurines of plastic.

You also have to remember about the Internet that groupthink is pretty much a standard around here. Expressing opinions that counter perceived concepts will have you shouted down or banned.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
I defy anyone to look at direct screen comparisons of the two Gladiator discs and tell me there isn't something seriously wrong with the first one.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

William Pahllace posted:

I'm surprised he never added the remastered blu-ray, I guess it would make his original review look absolutely nuts.

Original Blu-ray: http://imgur.com/Z6ALr.jpg
Remastered Blu-ray: http://imgur.com/W5iV0.jpg

Fine detail comparisions

Click here for the full 1234x420 image.

Click here for the full 1234x420 image.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I would never deny that the re-release looks much better, but when I popped the disc in of the first release, I couldn't notice anything truly horrid while playing it. Watching the Predator Ultimate Edition made the back of my brain itch, but Gladiator looked very watchable. It only makes me wince when I look at stills, like above.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Bambi posted:

I know bitrate isn't everything, but it's still incredible to me that WB is releasing brand new movies at 20mbps.
It's not like it's a constant bitrate and the Inception images looks great. What's so incredible?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Sporadic posted:

Gangs Of New York, yes I agree.
Gladiator...eh. I watched the original release and it didn't look that horrible in motion. The missing pieces of arrow things they were foaming at the mouth about was impossible to see unless you paused the movie and got close to your TV.

I wasn't even thinking about the disappearing arrows issue. I was referring to the huge amounts of sharpening added post-DNR. When you know what to look for and where to look for it, you can't unsee it and bugs the poo poo out of me, at least.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

On the topic of Blu-Ray movies that do not look good/have issues

Public Enemies has one of the worst sound mixing jobs. I have no idea who thought it would be a good idea to have the talking be so quiet and the environment so loud. I tried this out on multiple systems and got the same results. I was so disappointed by it that it immediately was sold after watching it. I had never seen it in the theaters so I have no idea if that issue was in the theater as well.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Public Enemies has one of the worst sound mixing jobs. I have no idea who thought it would be a good idea to have the talking be so quiet and the environment so loud. I tried this out on multiple systems and got the same results. I was so disappointed by it that it immediately was sold after watching it. I had never seen it in the theaters so I have no idea if that issue was in the theater as well.

It was pretty awful in theaters too.

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time

I remember it being like that in cinemas. I think that's how it's supposed to be.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It might just be the nature of the sound mix - a lot of action movies seem to be too noisy.

A Private Function - Feb. 8
Chaplin - Feb. 15

A Private Function is an underrated comedy worth seeing (and it stars Michael Palin).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

FateoMcSkippy posted:

American Psycho
Last of the Mohicans
Role Models
Snatch

What's even worse is that I just moved on Sunday. I discovered today that I now like within 20 miles of an amazon shipping center. My 2 day Prime shipping only takes 1 day.

You got that right. The Princess Bride's Blu-Ray/DVD combo for $8.99 is an amazing deal - what an easy gift.

I wonder what kind of post-Christmas deals they'll have.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?

VoodooXT posted:

I wasn't even thinking about the disappearing arrows issue. I was referring to the huge amounts of sharpening added post-DNR. When you know what to look for and where to look for it, you can't unsee it and bugs the poo poo out of me, at least.

And thats why you dont go out of your way to find things like that. Ignorance is bliss. I didnt see anything much wrong with the original Gladiator either, sure the remastered is noticeably better when compared to the original but I still never would've guessed the shitstorm over it.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
You know people are allowed to have their own opinions on things, right? If someone bought a blu-ray and enjoy it in spite of what everyone is telling them, good for them. I actually think Back to the Future looks pretty good, myself.

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Nov 24, 2010

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
How are we supposed to know which Gladiator release is which? I'm eyeing the UK steelbook.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FateoMcSkippy posted:

American Psycho
Last of the Mohicans
Role Models
Snatch

Has Role Models been lower than the current $9.99? I haven't seen it, but am thinking of blind buying it.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

bmmello posted:

Has Role Models been lower than the current $9.99? I haven't seen it, but am thinking of blind buying it.

If I'm reading the chart on blu-ray.com right, no, this is the lowest it's been.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Well this is great news, even though they did not get 50,000 likes they are still doing the deal on Amazon.

Mad Men" Seasons 1,2, and 3 to $9.99 each on DVD and Blu-ray from Nov. 25 through Nov. 27.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Well this is great news, even though they did not get 50,000 likes they are still doing the deal on Amazon.

Mad Men" Seasons 1,2, and 3 to $9.99 each on DVD and Blu-ray from Nov. 25 through Nov. 27.

FUCKKK YES

to anyone reading this: if you've never seen this show but appreciate great television, blind buy these. I swear you will not regret it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

FUCKKK YES

to anyone reading this: if you've never seen this show but appreciate great television, blind buy these. I swear you will not regret it.

I have only seen season 1 and there is no way in hell I am going to pass this up.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

sportsgenius86 posted:

FUCKKK YES

I would say blind buy those, only if you dig that time period and a more soap opera type of storytelling. I tried my best to give Season 1 a shot but it didn't grab me, which was strange because I loved Breaking Bad.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
The pre-order for Justified: Season 1 has been lowered to $22.99, while the dvd still stands at $35.99. Something tells me this is either a mixup, or very temporary. In any case, I can't recommend this show enough, if you've never seen it.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0038M2AQ4

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

doctor thodt posted:

Universal is far and away the worst major studio doing Blu-Ray right now.

They're going to ruin The Blues Brothers (whenever it comes out), aren't they :gonk:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you guys held off on LOTR for a couple of days..

http://www.target.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Trilogy-Blu-ray/dp/B003HPAYZG

$8 on Target for the complete set :smug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

FUCKKK YES

Price just changed, do it now.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Seriously, it's worth it just for "The Wheel" alone.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Harlock posted:

If you guys held off on LOTR for a couple of days..

http://www.target.com/Lord-Rings-Picture-Trilogy-Blu-ray/dp/B003HPAYZG

$8 on Target for the complete set :smug:

Out of stock as of this moment.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Kingdom Of Heaven: Director's Cut is $7.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ICLRIE?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000ICLRIE

And at 2PM PST, it looks like Apocalypse Now (maybe the Blu-Ray) is going to be the lightning deal.

- edit And it seems like alot of the movies I posted about a day or two ago dropped $0.50-$1.50

Also the Mad Men $9.99 deal is live.

Season 1 = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017JKEL8?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0017JKEL8
Season 2 = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027HOBM2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0027HOBM2
Season 3 = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LITRJ4?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002LITRJ4

- edit 2 Date Night dropped down to $13.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZG97BK?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002ZG97BK

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 25, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I finally got around to watching the Criterion Collection Yojimbo last night and holy poo poo it was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Apocalypse Now: Full Disclosure Edition lightning deal is up, $29.99. Not nearly as big of a discount as I was hoping for.

• Locked thread