Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Perry Normal posted:

You need to watch as much stuff as you can from Chris Jericho's 2007 heel turn, his feud with Shawn Michaels and his tag team with the Big Show.
Nothing beats Jericho's heel work in WCW.
http://www.youtube.com/user/nWoNitro#p/c/62E787FB1F90A157 This is part 1 in a 30 part youtube series chronicling Jericho's best WCW moments. The other parts of the series are listed on this page also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Web Jew.0 posted:

i think he trained in ovw for a bit but yeah it's kinda ironic that angle trumped undertaker's black magic with street magic
I was gonna try and find one of my fave Angle moments from back when he was in the "3 I's" era and introduces his family to K Kwik. It owns so hard but I can't find the video :(

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Can anyone recomend any pod casts or online radio shows?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

I enjoy Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast which you can find at http://www.welovecolt.com/

Since he either knows or is friends with a lot of the big young names in the business he interviews a lot interesting people

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

savinhill posted:

These are two completely different things. In WCW he was a midcard comedy act, in his last WWE heel run he was a main/semi-main event level self-righteous heel. It's like saying that Caddyshack is a better sports movie than Rudy. They're both about a sport but the differences in intent, genre, and everything else are huge.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WeaselWeaz posted:

These are two completely different things. In WCW he was a midcard comedy act, in his last WWE heel run he was a main/semi-main event level self-righteous heel. It's like saying that Caddyshack is a better sports movie than Rudy. They're both about a sport but the differences in intent, genre, and everything else are huge.

Except Rudy blows while Jericho was good in both roles.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

kdrudy posted:

I enjoy Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast which you can find at http://www.welovecolt.com/

Since he either knows or is friends with a lot of the big young names in the business he interviews a lot interesting people
Thank you, listening now despite not knowing much about CC.

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
Hey Wrestlehut, seeing Miz cash in and win on RAW last night got me thinking that I can't remember the last time a WWE/WHC title belt changed hands on RAW. Wasn't it Edge in '06, or am I missing something?

Thanks in Advance.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

NoMoneyDown posted:

Hey Wrestlehut, seeing Miz cash in and win on RAW last night got me thinking that I can't remember the last time a WWE/WHC title belt changed hands on RAW. Wasn't it Edge in '06, or am I missing something?

Thanks in Advance.

On Raw? June 2009 when Orton won a Fatal Four Way match. Smackdown would be Swagger cashing in MiTB maybe?

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Din't Punk cash in on Edge after Batista beat the gently caress out of him?

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS

Wojtek posted:

Din't Punk cash in on Edge after Batista beat the gently caress out of him?

Yeah Wiki says June 2008 for this.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

I like the weekly LAW(Live Audio Wrestling) Show. The podcast is a recording of a Sirius wrestling radio show. They go over the latest news in wrestling, have a weekly interview with Dave Meltzer and a wrestling personality, and another segment where they review an old PPV. This is the download link to their latest show:
http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news/wrestling/8812/click_here_to_download_the_law

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

savinhill posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/nWoNitro#p/c/62E787FB1F90A157 This is part 1 in a 30 part youtube series chronicling Jericho's best WCW moments. The other parts of the series are listed on this page also.

I compiled and uploaded this for SomethingAwful back in 06. I put it on youtube as well and my account got deleted. Would you believe some assclown reuploaded it without giving me any credit?

Captain Hats, if you're looking for other things to watch involving great heels (bad guys), I recommend watching my Eddie Guerrero in 2000 and The Rock in 1998 videos. http://www.dailymotion.com/user/Ninjafish

Here's The Rock turning heel
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2n69b_rock-mankind-story-part-1_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2n6d7_rock-mankind-story-part-2_sport

Here's Eddie turning on Chyna
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3crw2_eddie-guerrero-as-a-heel-in-2000-1_sport
(This is 11 parts long if you want to see the rest)

Also, you must see
Jericho's debut
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x30wrc_jericho-s-wwf-debut-unedited-versio_sport

and Stone Cold as a villain in 96
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nf79_buildup-to-bret-vs-austin-at-surviv_sport

That should give you some idea of what wrestling is all about.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Also, you must see
Jericho's debut
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x30wrc_jericho-s-wwf-debut-unedited-versio_sport

Think I have seen this about 100 times now and it still gives me chills.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

savinhill posted:

I like the weekly LAW(Live Audio Wrestling) Show. The podcast is a recording of a Sirius wrestling radio show. They go over the latest news in wrestling, have a weekly interview with Dave Meltzer and a wrestling personality, and another segment where they review an old PPV. This is the download link to their latest show:
http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news/wrestling/8812/click_here_to_download_the_law

That sounds exactly like what I was after.

I also really enjoyed the Colt Cabanna show, not that I know anything about him but he's fantastic at beinjg interesting on radio.

What about some shoots, brothers?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 24, 2010

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

MrMondayNight posted:

My favorite part is the two step pop. The first when people cheer just because hey new guy coming in, then when his name pops up the place goes insane.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrMondayNight posted:

The reaction when they see his name gets me every time, it's amazing.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

The reaction when they see his name gets me every time, it's amazing.

I can't understand why. Cruiserweights never drew a dime, brother!

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Here's Eddie turning on Chyna
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3crw2_eddie-guerrero-as-a-heel-in-2000-1_sport

This is the one we should all be talking about.

Has a heel turn ever been done this realistically? It's completely understandable why Eddie would blow up at Chyna and start treating her like poo poo. It's also understandable why Chyna would feel betrayed by Eddie.

It all started off so innocently too.

She even references the fact that Raw was being filmed. She went home and watched a replay of Raw and saw Eddie smiling behind her back. When is the last time that happened? For that matter, when is the last time we had a good realistic heel turn?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Also, you must see
Jericho's debut

I think the music they play as the lights flicker before he comes out is the same music they play as they select the next pod in the Elimination Chamber

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Is *tears off shirt to reveal nWo* heel turn a running gag with everyone of a certain age, or are my group of friends just total nerds?

ie: playing pickup hoops, you stuff your team-mate as he goes for a layup, then start high-fiving the other team and pretending to have an nWo shirt on underneath yours

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DannoMack posted:

Is *tears off shirt to reveal nWo* heel turn a running gag with everyone of a certain age, or are my group of friends just total nerds?

ie: playing pickup hoops, you stuff your team-mate as he goes for a layup, then start high-fiving the other team and pretending to have an nWo shirt on underneath yours
I think you and your friends are just assholes who are also nerds.

also one of you better shout YEAH BUT WHO'S SIDE IS HE ON every time someone enters a room.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I don't know if it's the same thing as what you're talking about but people make jokes all the time about (for example) Brett Favre pulling off his jersey to reveal the other team's.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Chilly McFreeze posted:

I don't know if it's the same thing as what you're talking about but people make jokes all the time about (for example) Brett Favre pulling off his jersey to reveal the other team's.

That would make for an entertaining day of football. ESPN's collective pants would explode at their hero doing something like that.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Endorph posted:

I think you and your friends are just assholes who are also nerds.

I was worried this was the case.

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Yeah these are the kinds of jokes. We have one friend who completely hates the jokes for some reason, so we tend to make them whenever the kicker on his favourite team hooks one.

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 25, 2010

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

This is the one we should all be talking about.

Has a heel turn ever been done this realistically? It's completely understandable why Eddie would blow up at Chyna and start treating her like poo poo. It's also understandable why Chyna would feel betrayed by Eddie.

It all started off so innocently too.

She even references the fact that Raw was being filmed. She went home and watched a replay of Raw and saw Eddie smiling behind her back. When is the last time that happened? For that matter, when is the last time we had a good realistic heel turn?

If I remember correctly didn't they lose that subtlty soon after by having Chyna catch Eddie in the shower with some hos or something?

The only other recent turn I can think of is Jericho's heel turn against HBK in 2008 which was pretty much justified based on Michaels' past.

My question is this, Dean Malenko's real name is Dean Simon so I'm guessing that the Simon Dean gimmick is a play on his name. Are there any other gimmick names that are ribs or riffs on wrestlers' real names?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

reality_groove posted:

My question is this, Dean Malenko's real name is Dean Simon so I'm guessing that the Simon Dean gimmick is a play on his name. Are there any other gimmick names that are ribs or riffs on wrestlers' real names?

Santino Marella's name is a play on Gorilla Monsoon's real name Robert "Gino" Marella

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

reality_groove posted:

Dusty Rhodes' real name is Virgil, hence Virgil as a rib. When he went to WCW, he became Vincent after Vince McMahon.

What about Rocky Miavia which took his dad's first name (Rocky Johnson) and his grandfather's last name (Peter Miavia)?

Rusty Shackelford fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 25, 2010

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

reality_groove posted:

The only thing like this I can remember right now is when Herb Abrams, the owner of UWF, made a jobber with the name Davey Meltzer to mess with journalist Meltzer.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

reality_groove posted:

If I remember correctly didn't they lose that subtlty soon after by having Chyna catch Eddie in the shower with some hos or something?

That was perfect if I remember it correctly because they had just had their biggest fight and then they made up. Eddie was treating her nice and it looked like they were back together in love for weeks. Then bam, it's over.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Several ECW guys were given names that were take-offs of NWA Promoters:

Stevie Richards - Steve Rickard
C.W. Anderson - Ole Anderson

Those are the two that I can remember, but I think there were at least 4 total guys and one of them was Mikey Whipwreck, but I can't remember who his name was from.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

reality_groove posted:

One of those ho's? Victoria, making her WWF debut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1C9d38LKEo

Funny enough, later when they would revisit that angle for reasons I cannot remember, they replayed the GTV segment and blurred out Victoria's face,, presumably so as not to confuse anyone. I miss you, Chris Kreski.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Dusty Rhodes' real name is Virgil, hence Virgil as a rib. When he went to WCW, he became Vincent after Vince McMahon.

At some point in WCW, I think they started calling him Shane too.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I was giving my nephew a little bit of a history lesson on WCW and we got to Vince Russo. Can anyone suggest the "Best" Of Vince Russo's booking via 2000-2001 WCW that I should show him?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 25, 2010

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Definitely the last show of September 2000 and the first one of October. AKA: "The one where Vince Russo wins the title" and "The one with the San Francisco 49ers match"

Also, the New Blood Rising PPV is must-see as well.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Definitely the last show of September 2000 and the first one of October. AKA: "The one where Vince Russo wins the title" and "The one with the San Francisco 49ers match"

Also, the New Blood Rising PPV is must-see as well.

Jerusalem did New Blood Rising on one of the Sunday threads right?

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010
Was it ever revealed why NXT Ring Announcer turned NXT3 Rookie, Jamie Keyes, got eliminated and future endeavored so quickly?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hinoarashi posted:

Was it ever revealed why NXT Ring Announcer turned NXT3 Rookie, Jamie Keyes, got eliminated and future endeavored so quickly?

She had to go into the past to find John Connor.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Hinoarashi posted:

She was the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Not to be a dick, and being a guy I have no idea what she must be going thru, but its been like 6 months since she lost her baby. How much time do you need exactly?

Hinoarashi posted:

She didnt talk about TEETH!