Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

ElBrak posted:

Uh, rifle men will never penetrate a Stug from any direction. When you compare antitank to armor after a armored unit is hit, the armor gets a d6. So it would be antitank 2 vrs 7-13 front armor, so even with out the d6 the riflemen have no chance to penetrate.

Oh right, I get it now, I was looking at it the other way. For some reason I was thinking that guns get the d6 added, not the armour, that makes heaps more sense. Things will start to make a bit more sense when I finish painting up my starter set and get some practice games in.

Does that mean rifle companies are not particularly competitive? I suppose the game is geared more towards recreating historical battles rather than proper competitive play. The rules for a D-day landing in Das Book sound like a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Oh right, I get it now, I was looking at it the other way. For some reason I was thinking that guns get the d6 added, not the armour, that makes heaps more sense. Things will start to make a bit more sense when I finish painting up my starter set and get some practice games in.

Does that mean rifle companies are not particularly competitive? I suppose the game is geared more towards recreating historical battles rather than proper competitive play. The rules for a D-day landing in Das Book sound like a lot of fun.

Games in Flames of War are not always about "kill all of the enemy". In fact most missions are about capturing or holding objectives.

Infantry are pretty tough to kill once they're dug in. They defend like crazy.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Rifle companies are very competitive. You'll basically never be attacking objectives, and you'll be incredibly hard to shift.

If you're worried about tanks just bring a bunch more bazookas.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
It probably won't be a problem, I doubt I'll ever be playing competitively. That's the reason I'm getting two armies, so I can just muck around with friends and it would be more fun if it felt like both armies actually had a chance at destroying the other, if that makes sense.

It would get a bit boring playing games of "see how long you can hide in your foxholes while my tanks rain shells down on you".

Either way, both lists have now been ordered from Maelstrom games, so they should be here in a month or so!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Generally they have to both shift you AND then occupy it unopposed for a full turn. That's harder than it sounds. Infantry with gammon bombs in counter-attack on tanks pinned by bazooka or AT gun fire will make tanks have a very bad day indeed.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Ostfront is the go to book if I want to do a Soviet army right? The dude at the shop yesterday was chatting it up about the new Stalins Europe (?) sourcebook which he says has some cool lists in.

I'd like to do tank list which has those big Heavy Tanks (IS-2s I believe) and some inf to support.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Fortress Europe is what most people use.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

BeigeJacket posted:

Ostfront is the go to book if I want to do a Soviet army right? The dude at the shop yesterday was chatting it up about the new Stalins Europe (?) sourcebook which he says has some cool lists in.

I'd like to do tank list which has those big Heavy Tanks (IS-2s I believe) and some inf to support.

Do you know what period you're playing? If Mid-War, you want Eastern Front (the newer, better looking Ostfront). If Late-War, you want probably Fortress Europe to start, which has basic lists, and from there you can expand into the Bagration campaign books or Stalin's Europe, which have more of the obscure variant lists for late-war.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Devlan Mud posted:

Do you know what period you're playing? If Mid-War, you want Eastern Front (the newer, better looking Ostfront). If Late-War, you want probably Fortress Europe to start, which has basic lists, and from there you can expand into the Bagration campaign books or Stalin's Europe, which have more of the obscure variant lists for late-war.

I'm leaning toward MW at the moment, but since I imagine this will be a modelling project formost, due to lack of local players, its not really a biggie either way.

Does Eastern Front cover the period after Stalingrad, but before Operation Bagration?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

BeigeJacket posted:

I'm leaning toward MW at the moment, but since I imagine this will be a modelling project formost, due to lack of local players, its not really a biggie either way.

Does Eastern Front cover the period after Stalingrad, but before Operation Bagration?

Eastern Front is '42-'43, while Fortress Europe covers '44-'45, essentially.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Hey guys, if any one is interested I thought I would share some pics of my latest project.

I've done a few 1/35 scale AFVs now but I thought I'd have a go at basing one. So here are some WIP shots of the Cromwell from earlier on in this thread.

Its meant to be advanced elements of the 7th Armoured Division advancing on Caen and meeting with units from the 6th Airbourne (more figures to come.) shortly after the Normandy Landing. :britain:

Sorry 'bout the crappy pictures but best I can do at current.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Hey.

HEY!

http://www.victrixlimited.co.uk/news-82-2nd-December-Christmas-special-10-box-deal

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

I saw that offer too, and it is really good. It would also take ages for me to paint. Made me remember this insane fellow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqLoLKlbVuU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

I saw that offer too, and it is really good. It would also take ages for me to paint. Made me remember this insane fellow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqLoLKlbVuU

That is nuts!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

My 6mm housing project is going places:

I started using tiny tiny straight noodles to do some detail work. There are always more tricks to learn out there. Now I'm waiting for my order of kneadatite to appear so I can finish the thatched roofs I have left, especially for the watchtower, and then I think I have enough to start looking into what equipment I need for resin casting.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That makes me wanna play Shogun: Total War so bad

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

My computer won't handle S:TW 2 and when I try to play the old one the battles goes at 4x playable speed. :(

I posted the pics on the baccus forums, and it seems like there are at least a few players out there who would consider buying them if I cast them, so now I have a reason to get them finished sooner rather than later.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

lilljonas posted:

My 6mm housing project is going places:

I started using tiny tiny straight noodles to do some detail work....

Your Japanese housing is made of noodles?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sergeant Rock posted:

Your Japanese housing is made of noodles?

I was stuck with the roofing, not finding anything that was the right size, and my attempts of doing it with green stuff was going very badly. Then suddenly, my wife cooks these tiny straight noodles... this is the hobby of improvisation, after all.

They are a complete bitch to file down if you cut them too long though, as they just crumble. I really should start using plastic rods instead, but I've found nothing that small around here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

http://www.fieldofglory.com/fog_pc.html

I wonder if the AI is any good. Might be nice to play some tabletop historicals without having to buy two armies, &c.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Lord Commissar posted:

I wonder if the AI is any good. Might be nice to play some tabletop historicals without having to buy two armies, &c.

You might peruse this thread.

I can't remember if anyone there's actually played it, but it's the place to ask for impressions.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Crossposting from the oath thread, here's Tokugawa Ieyasu flanked by Honda Tadakatsu, Kuroda Nagamasa with the awesome scoop hat, and various squires.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I've discussed the plans to make a miniature company with my wifey, and she's cool with it. I'll start very small with handcast 6mm houses, but since I'll be away from home for almost a month I thought I would start on the homepage now, as I've never made a homepage before. It'll probably be horribly ugly, but still better than some of the worst abortions out there.

I'm planning on a very simple website with products combined with a picture gallery of terrain and miniatures for inspiration, as well as some painting and modelling articles to keep it interesting. With historical websites generally being so bad, what things do you hate the most and/or what would you like the most from a small miniature website? My personal hobby horse is the ghost product, when people try to sell miniatures online without having pictures. Since I hate it so much there is no way I'd do it myself, but do you have some other gripe that I should be careful to keep in mind as I make the website?

Also, does anyone have a good, non-cheesy name for a company that makes mostly Asian miniature terrain? Everything I come up with is so bad I'm too embarrassed to write it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

You pretty much hit on my biggest gripe, the non-picture websites suck. Or the ones where I have to send them a letter in the mail with a check because they don't let you order online.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

You pretty much hit on my biggest gripe, the non-picture websites suck. Or the ones where I have to send them a letter in the mail with a check because they don't let you order online.

I have never seen this other than Irregular Miniatures, who wants you to send them your order by fax or by phone to the UK. It's not a coincidence that I've never ordered from Irregular Miniatures.

I'm not sure how to deal with orders yet, at the very start I might only be able to take them by e-mail with payments through bank transfer or paypal. Would that put you off from buying from a miniatures company?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No, I've done Paypal stuff with people before.

there should be some easily-available shopping cart software out there for cheap that'll let you use Paypal, too.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

No, I've done Paypal stuff with people before.

there should be some easily-available shopping cart software out there for cheap that'll let you use Paypal, too.

Turns out that I can just cut and paste code from the paypal site to get a fully working shopping cart, so that's cool, even though I've heard so many people hating on paypal. I think I'll add then, and then just a blurb about accepting orders through e-mail as well.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

lilljonas posted:

I've discussed the plans to make a miniature company with my wifey, and she's cool with it. I'll start very small with handcast 6mm houses, but since I'll be away from home for almost a month I thought I would start on the homepage now, as I've never made a homepage before. It'll probably be horribly ugly, but still better than some of the worst abortions out there.

I'm planning on a very simple website with products combined with a picture gallery of terrain and miniatures for inspiration, as well as some painting and modelling articles to keep it interesting. With historical websites generally being so bad, what things do you hate the most and/or what would you like the most from a small miniature website? My personal hobby horse is the ghost product, when people try to sell miniatures online without having pictures. Since I hate it so much there is no way I'd do it myself, but do you have some other gripe that I should be careful to keep in mind as I make the website?

Also, does anyone have a good, non-cheesy name for a company that makes mostly Asian miniature terrain? Everything I come up with is so bad I'm too embarrassed to write it.

After a quick scan of wikipedia for "Japanese Architecture" I found the following:

Asuka and Nara architecture.

The earliest structures still extant in Japan, and the oldest surviving wooden buildings in the world are found at the Hōryū-ji to the southwest of Nara. They serve as the core examples of architecture in Asuka period.

So I'd say either 'Nara historical miniatures' or perhaps 'Asuka historical miniatures'. Basically pick a name of building style or a period in ancient history and use that followed by 'historical miniatures'. Don't be too specific when naming a company as you may branch out later and it can be tough to do that if your name is too specific. The best example around here is Triple play sports collectibles, which later added comics and then role playing games to its product lines as it branched out. The issue being that anyone looking for D&D stuff might not suspect the place called Triple play sports collectibles would have what they want.

fake edit: or better yet use your last name or a super generic one (crossed swords is a local one for me) and let that name become known for what you make.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

After a quick scan of wikipedia for "Japanese Architecture" I found the following:

Asuka and Nara architecture.

The earliest structures still extant in Japan, and the oldest surviving wooden buildings in the world are found at the Hōryū-ji to the southwest of Nara. They serve as the core examples of architecture in Asuka period.

So I'd say either 'Nara historical miniatures' or perhaps 'Asuka historical miniatures'. Basically pick a name of building style or a period in ancient history and use that followed by 'historical miniatures'. Don't be too specific when naming a company as you may branch out later and it can be tough to do that if your name is too specific. The best example around here is Triple play sports collectibles, which later added comics and then role playing games to its product lines as it branched out. The issue being that anyone looking for D&D stuff might not suspect the place called Triple play sports collectibles would have what they want.

fake edit: or better yet use your last name or a super generic one (crossed swords is a local one for me) and let that name become known for what you make.

That's pretty much my thoughts as well, as it would be strange to be named after a specific period in a specific time, when I plan to even from the start have some generic Japanese houses that might be found in both Muromachi period as well as in Meiji.

I'm kind of fond of "The Village Idiot", since I aim to do village style houses rather than just fortresses and such. And tongue in cheek seems to work well for Too Fat Lardies... But then of course the domain is parked by godaddy.com.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

lilljonas posted:

That's pretty much my thoughts as well, as it would be strange to be named after a specific period in a specific time, when I plan to even from the start have some generic Japanese houses that might be found in both Muromachi period as well as in Meiji.

I'm kind of fond of "The Village Idiot", since I aim to do village style houses rather than just fortresses and such. And tongue in cheek seems to work well for Too Fat Lardies... But then of course the domain is parked by godaddy.com.

villageidiotminiatures.com is open as is villageidiotminis.com

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
My friends seem to be getting a bit bored of warhammer, which means I have less motivation to paint spacemen than usual. With that in mind, I am intending a new year's resolution to actually finish all the 6mm stuff I've got.

So how does this look as an attempt at British Berlin camo?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

My friends seem to be getting a bit bored of warhammer, which means I have less motivation to paint spacemen than usual. With that in mind, I am intending a new year's resolution to actually finish all the 6mm stuff I've got.

So how does this look as an attempt at British Berlin camo?

Digital camo is hard as hell to paint (don't ask me about my attempt at painting a real A.E.G. G-IV camo) and that is close enough plus it looks great. Go for it.

Guildenstern
Feb 22, 2005

by T. Finn

lilljonas posted:

The Village Idiot is, however, a fairly reputable player in the Warhammer Fantasy world (in particular he is responsible for creating a number of famous strategies for the Empire that have been actually named after him) so I would think twice about that name. After all, these hobbies tend to overlap.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Guildenstern posted:

The Village Idiot is, however, a fairly reputable player in the Warhammer Fantasy world (in particular he is responsible for creating a number of famous strategies for the Empire that have been actually named after him) so I would think twice about that name. After all, these hobbies tend to overlap.

gently caress, not famous enough for me to hear about him, or get anything on the top google results. I'll think some more.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
How about a terrible name like "honourable houses".

For the OP, I've just found out that Ambush Alley Games has actually discontinued Ambush Alley, it's been folded into their new game "Force on Force" which is expanded to cover non-asymmetrical battles.

And if you snag it with their Tomorrow's War pre-order you can get the stripped down PDF of Force on Force for only $5.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Lord Commissar posted:

I own it and the ai is pretty typical, i.e passable but not great. The best part of the game is the multiplayer system. Its basically pbem but it deals with everything in game so it keeps things nice and neat. Its good if you will play multiplayer but a waste if you are not.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
A tip for those of you who only got socks for christmas: Essex Miniatures is again running a "buy 3 pay for 2" deal on 15mm DBA army packs, until the end of december. I'm really tempted to get some Samurai. I bought one of those for a friend last time they did this offer and they're one of their nicer ranges.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lilljonas posted:

gently caress, not famous enough for me to hear about him, or get anything on the top google results. I'll think some more.

"Houses of the Homely" :haw:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Silhouette posted:

"Houses of the Homely" :haw:

"Broken Noodle Miniatures",
"Bunraku Bungalows",
"Manly Dollhouses"
and of course
"Stairs Included Miniatures"

R.S. Gumby posted:

A tip for those of you who only got socks for christmas: Essex Miniatures is again running a "buy 3 pay for 2" deal on 15mm DBA army packs, until the end of december. I'm really tempted to get some Samurai. I bought one of those for a friend last time they did this offer and they're one of their nicer ranges.

Dammit, I still haven't painted the Sassanids I got from them. I don't need three more unpainted armies at the moment. :(
But it is a very sweet deal, especially for someone who wants to lure in a friend or two into DBA. It makes it a stupidly cheap game to try out.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Does anyone know of a good source for uniform and vehicle markings for the Estonian SS divisions? I'd like to get the Osprey book on the SS but I'm not sure how well that covers the Estonians as I assume like other Osprey books it focuses mainly on more popular or famous units and I really have no use for a bunch of pictures of Wiking and Totenkopf guys. My friend said that Crowood produces a book on SS schemes but as far as I can tell its just for camo. I know Osprey has the Eastern Front Allies book but I was afraid that it wouldn't have the Estonian SS because they were an SS division.