Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I'm pissed that Wranglers went so long before bloating (width and length)-wise and then bam! they're almost as big as fullsize pickups in one revision. Wranglers were just the right size to not feel like a toy but still get into poo poo that trucks and bigger vehicles like Hummers are just too long or wide to not get hung up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Same with Toyotas. The Tacomas are the size of an old F-150 now. No one's making nimble little rigs anymore.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
2-door JK looks like the perfect size, then you see it from behind. It's wide as gently caress. And why did the hard top get sharp and square completelty out of nowhere?

this page dedicated to :bahgawd: WRANGLER

incredibull fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 20, 2010

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mod sassinator posted:

You can buy an unlimited wrangler without 4wd? Wh.. why? :psyboom:
Think about the average buyer of an urban-based SUV.

Actually, both Jeep and Land Rover, back in the day, built 2wd trucks for utility use (e.g. postal services). The new Range Rover Evoque will have a 2wd version, which is causing a great deal of :bahgawd:.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Philip J Fry posted:

Same with Toyotas. The Tacomas are the size of an old F-150 now. No one's making nimble little rigs anymore.

LoL yeah the extra 1.5" track width really hampers me on the trails. I wish I could keep up with those TJ guys.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I mean body-wise. They just look bulkier than they need to be for no other reason than keeping up with trending aesthetics. And maybe I'm in the minority here, but the fender flares are loving hideous.

e: the 2nd gens are apparently 8" wider.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 24, 2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Don't watch this video if you don't want to cry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyzszEXWLmE

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS
I refute that video with this pic of me and my XJ going for a swim:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Whiskey posted:

Nice! Any more photos or videos?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

CommieGIR posted:

Don't watch this video if you don't want to cry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyzszEXWLmE

That's just a wheel and tire swap away from being just fine.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Whiskey posted:

You don't live in the Okanagan, BC Canada do you? There's a guy in a town near mine with a near identical Cherokee to yours. Older style, dark green, roof rack, and Warn front bumper. Even the same type of terrain you're wheeling in. :tinfoil:

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Philip J Fry posted:

I mean body-wise. They just look bulkier than they need to be for no other reason than keeping up with trending aesthetics. And maybe I'm in the minority here, but the fender flares are loving hideous.

e: the 2nd gens are apparently 8" wider.

Basically the entire cab of the 2005 and up Tacoma is one giant airbag. I think that's one of the reasons they got so big outside was to maintain the interior space with all that extra safety gear.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
After a fresh oil change my Cherokee's oil pressure keeps spiking to 80 when I hit the gas. Just another thing that's pushing me away from my Jeep.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

After a fresh oil change my Cherokee's oil pressure keeps spiking to 80 when I hit the gas. Just another thing that's pushing me away from my Jeep.

Those oil pressure gauges are hardly accurate, and how much gas are we talking?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Is it a real mechanical oil pressure gauge?

Get rid of your filter first and try another, preferably a decent brand like Wix/Napa, Mopar OEM, etc, not FRAM or Pennzoil or Autozone Whatever House Brand. I don't know where the external oil port is on the 4.0 in relation to flow, but if it's between the pump and filter, you could be seeing an indicator of poor flow through the filter, and your real pressure could be just a fraction of that. Any decent filter should have a pressure relief valve, some cheap ones don't. You could also be seeing a stuck pressure relief valve on your oil pump, but I don't see why an oil change should trigger this unless some debris was kicked up and it somehow got past the pickup screen.

edit: '99 Chrysler FSM states 4.0 "normal" pressure at 1800 is 75psi. Sounds really high to me, but this is straight from the manufacturer.

incredibull fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 25, 2010

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

incredibull posted:

Is it a real mechanical oil pressure gauge?

Get rid of your filter first and try another, preferably a decent brand like Wix/Napa, Mopar OEM, etc, not FRAM or Pennzoil or Autozone Whatever House Brand. I don't know where the external oil port is on the 4.0 in relation to flow, but if it's between the pump and filter, you could be seeing an indicator of poor flow through the filter, and your real pressure could be just a fraction of that. Any decent filter should have a pressure relief valve, some cheap ones don't. You could also be seeing a stuck pressure relief valve on your oil pump, but I don't see why an oil change should trigger this unless some debris was kicked up and it somehow got past the pickup screen.

Its a electrical sensor

Yes, try a different filter first

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Those oil pressure gauges are hardly accurate, and how much gas are we talking?

Any pressure on the pedal and it spikes to 80.

And it's a Napa filter. This happened once before and I realized I'd over-filled it. So I drained it and put exactly 6 quarts in and that fixed it. This time I put exactly 6 in to start.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Any pressure on the pedal and it spikes to 80.

And it's a Napa filter. This happened once before and I realized I'd over-filled it. So I drained it and put exactly 6 quarts in and that fixed it. This time I put exactly 6 in to start.

Doing some research, hope to have some answers for you tommorrow

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
My 2000 Wrangler 4.0 also has high oil pressure unless its idling and fully up to temperature after some driving. I've been too broke to really dig into it and its not off the gauge high, just right around 60 psi by 2000 rpm.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Put a real mechanical oil pressure gauge to it before you decide that you have a mechanical problem and not an electrical problem. You can just buy a cheap one and temporarily pull the pressure switch if you don't want to fully install it.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Replacing the valve cover gasket on my '95 4.0 has turned into a nightmare. It doesn't make any sense. I was rushing the job a little to try to get my car back for work and ended up taking three tries to get the cover back on with the gasket in place (or so I thought). I really should have taken the time to remove the radiator hoses/thermostat/injector wires/the electronic whatnot the MAP sensor plugs into and really clean the hell out of the mating surface, but, again, I was rushed.

The vacuum hose on my fuel pressure regulator was injured in the process, upping the fuel pressure just enough to spring a leak from the hoses out of the fuel tank. Ended up paying someone to do it since you have to basically drop the fuel tank. Their first try failed, so I ended up having to drive a mile back to their shop while dripping gas.

Then my oil pressure sender failed spectacularly and decided to dump all my oil. I am afraid how long I was running with no oil pressure, but I'd like to think I caught it pretty quickly. Still can't believe there's no idiot light, just the gauge closer to the passenger than the driver.

The valve cover started leaking a bit again, so I figured it just needed retightening (cork gasket). Sure enough, a few of the bolts were loose, but now after retightening it's still dripping a little oil right onto the exhaust manifold, leaving me a nice blue cloud and fire hazard.

Did I mention the reason I was rushing through this job was that the car I was borrowing got stolen and totaled?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Cork gaskets are a waste of time, every time. Get the torque even slightly wrong or uneven and they're permanently deformed. As far as valve cover gaskets go, I'll always spend the extra money on Fel-Pro Permadry or equivalent, and most of the steel-reinforced sets can be reused. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

incredibull posted:

Put a real mechanical oil pressure gauge to it before you decide that you have a mechanical problem and not an electrical problem. You can just buy a cheap one and temporarily pull the pressure switch if you don't want to fully install it.

I am supporting this move, the failure mode of the Oil Pressure sensor is to peg it at high 80, but most 4.0s keep around 75 PSI pressure at idle, at least among the XJ owners on the XJList I polled

incredibull posted:

Cork gaskets are a waste of time, every time. Get the torque even slightly wrong or uneven and they're permanently deformed. As far as valve cover gaskets go, I'll always spend the extra money on Fel-Pro Permadry or equivalent, and most of the steel-reinforced sets can be reused. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Cork is CRAP. Also I always throw some blue instant gasket on there as well, really helps seal up spots where the gasket doesn't seal completely

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I thought the 4.0 didn't have a real oil pressure gauge after '97 or so, just a switch and a simulated gauge.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Pulled a dude out of the muddy center divider on I30 today with my wj.. Jeep powah!

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

MrZig posted:

You don't live in the Okanagan, BC Canada do you? There's a guy in a town near mine with a near identical Cherokee to yours. Older style, dark green, roof rack, and Warn front bumper. Even the same type of terrain you're wheeling in. :tinfoil:

Close :)

I'm 45 minutes east of Vancouver. I was wheeling on the east side of Stave Lake off of the Lost Creek FSR.

Same area, same day:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well now it's performing normally. Beating your head against the steering wheel is normal in Jeep ownership right?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Rhyno posted:

Well now it's performing normally. Beating your head against the steering wheel is normal in Jeep ownership right?

Yes it is. Gotta get ready for that unavoidable accident and utilize your forehead as an airbag.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a good place online to find local offroad spots or is it pretty much ask people with muddy trucks where they go?

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Local clubs are pretty good for finding trails. Also try google earth, off road mapbooks, GPS maps, etc.

I'm a big fan of driving into the forest and just exploring. Just try not to go out alone.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Whiskey posted:

Local clubs are pretty good for finding trails. Also try google earth, off road mapbooks, GPS maps, etc.

I'm a big fan of driving into the forest and just exploring. Just try not to go out alone.

For some reason I never thought of using google earth, thanks!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Whiskey posted:

Close :)

I'm 45 minutes east of Vancouver. I was wheeling on the east side of Stave Lake off of the Lost Creek FSR.

Same area, same day:

Oh, that's just below Davis lake. Right near here:

I hate stave mud.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Paulie posted:

Got me a girl jeep:

BUT the saving grace:

:D

Hey jeep bros, put some new rubber on my girl jeep:

They are 265/75/16 bridgestone dueler m/t's on the moab 16x8's. Got the 5 wheels for $400, and get this--the 5 tires I got for $450 out the door! I was expecting to pay at least twice that for a new set of 265/75 m/t's, but I happened to stop at this tire place to see what they had and fortune shined down on me. I asked what they had in stock and they said they had these, and since they are discontinued, they'd give them to me for cheap. Absolutely nothing wrong with them aside from them sitting in the shop for a long time. No cracking or splits or anything.

I will probably have to either take them to a shop w/ a siping machine or sipe them myself before too long, seeing as they have no factory siping at all, and I expect they will suck in slippery/icy conditions until I do something about that.

But for $450 I can't complain.

Still have to take care of a little more rubbing here and there, but I took care of most of it the night I mounted them on the little diesel. :D

Next things on the list are the Eco-tune and upgraded torque converter, a winch and front/rear armor. Oh, and eventually hit some trails...

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Paulie posted:

Hey jeep bros, put some new rubber on my girl jeep:

For a decade now I've hated on the liberty for killing off my beloved Cherokee, but I've got to admit, you've made it look tough. I like. How much lift?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'll go get some pictures later, but my 1992 Jeep Cherokee is just one new transmission away from being drivable again. I can't wait. I've replaced just about everything else on it too so far, so its pretty much going to be a new car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I took this video for my friend's 2000 XJ with the auto Command Trac, and finally remembered to post it. He's been complaining that the trans tends to bang into drive after you reverse. The video goes back and forth between those gears a couple times. Does it look bad or out of the ordinary?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsyKiHCuPA0
It felt louder in real life than it comes off in the video.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

beanieson posted:

For a decade now I've hated on the liberty for killing off my beloved Cherokee, but I've got to admit, you've made it look tough. I like. How much lift?

Thanks man. I'm doing my best to try and like it myself :D Usually the spool of the turbo and some black soot surprise keep me happy with it.

The lift was on it when I purchased it, and it's either a 2 or 2.5" spacer lift, like a cheapo daystar kit. With the CRD, one cv is shorter than the other so things get hairy when you try to take it up any higher. I've had to perform some minor fenderwell and bumper surgery to make those fit, but so far so good. I'll probably upgrade to higher quality components when things start to wear out.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I took this video for my friend's 2000 XJ with the auto Command Trac, and finally remembered to post it. He's been complaining that the trans tends to bang into drive after you reverse. The video goes back and forth between those gears a couple times. Does it look bad or out of the ordinary?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsyKiHCuPA0
It felt louder in real life than it comes off in the video.

My 01 Wrangler did this and also my 99 Cherokee currently does this. My friends 94 Cherokee also does it. Either it is an extremely common problem or it is normal. I think it is just normal because older Jeeps seem to make all kinds of clanks and bangs, it is just part of the experience. At least my experience anyway.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Yeah my '95 does that too, though not quite as pronounced. I only hear it from inside so it might be that loud on the outside too, and I wouldn't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Sharp_angus posted:

Yeah my '95 does that too, though not quite as pronounced. I only hear it from inside so it might be that loud on the outside too, and I wouldn't know.

Mine (and several others I've seen) was like this as well - there's usually a lot of slop on these in all the connections between the tranny and wheels. The torque of the I6 tends to make it feel like it's slamming into gear.

My brother's girlfriend had one and my brother (a mechanic) said it was just how they are - he could reach up and rotate a drive shaft like 30 degrees (probably an exaggeration) with his hand with it in park.