Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Installing it right now and I have a prediction: It will not work, nothing ever works on computers.

Yep. Crashes immediately to desk top no matter what I do. At least I have the PS2 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Just an FYI, Biomod already has Shifter included so you only need to install Biomod, and not Shifter too.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Deus Ex is now on sale on Steam for £1.50! You can also buy an 8 pack for the low low price of $12!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What a deal.

Buy this game if you haven't :argh:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've already played the first game, so I bought Invisible War cause it was on sale. Are there any good mods for it? Mostly something that'll make it widescreen?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Momomo posted:

I've already played the first game, so I bought Invisible War cause it was on sale. Are there any good mods for it? Mostly something that'll make it widescreen?

There's a pretty good texture pack, and I know there's a way to make it widescreen, but I forgot.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Luigi Thirty posted:

What a deal.

Buy this game if you haven't :argh:

Just in case you think you're playing off of "what a shame", JC actually does say "what a deal" when you buy the pack of LAMs from Smuggler just before the superfreighter mission. So the quote actually works even better when talking about the 8-pack of Deus Ex. :xd:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Since IW is also only $2.50 now I figured no game could disappointment enough that two dollars could be considered a waste of money. Took the plunge and I'll finally get to play the second game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the "good news" about IW is that 90% of the problems are with the astoundingly bad engine (remember how awesome sneaking around a giant military base was? enjoy maps the size of small houses!), and UI. Unfortunately, the game design and storyline just isn't enough to mitigate any of those problems, though they aren't really absurdly bad, or anything (universal ammo aside)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I got Invisible War for about 10 bucks, on clearance at an EB Games. I feel like i got $10 worth of enjoyment out of it, but I would have felt cheated if I paid full price for it.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I like IW a lot more than I like Deus Ex.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Just in case you think you're playing off of "what a shame", JC actually does say "what a deal" when you buy the pack of LAMs from Smuggler just before the superfreighter mission. So the quote actually works even better when talking about the 8-pack of Deus Ex. :xd:

I knew that I've played this game like ten thousand times :colbert:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

YOURFRIEND posted:

Get out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

YOURFRIEND posted:

Get out

bomper
Apr 26, 2009

YOURFRIEND posted:

It's so fun to just kill hella random dudes and be all like whassup now bitch? and pretend you're some badass who takes orders from nobody in that game

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

Dr Snofeld posted:

There's a pretty good texture pack, and I know there's a way to make it widescreen, but I forgot.
huh neat. I'm thinking about replaying the original game, any texture packs like these but for DX1 that people recommend?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

bomper posted:

It's so fun to just kill hella random dudes and be all like whassup now bitch? and pretend you're some badass who takes orders from nobody in that game

Yeah but do they go Jesus Christ, JC!?

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Hardtarget posted:

huh neat. I'm thinking about replaying the original game, any texture packs like these but for DX1 that people recommend?

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

Get that for some better textures.

http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

Get that to update the unreal renderer to directx 9/10/11. It makes it run/look nicer and also lets you enable some additional features via the unreal engine console/gui, like AA etc.

Edit: VVV :v: egg on my face friend. Go with New Visions. That's the one I meant to link to but I googled and nabbed the first link thinking it was that since I didn't remember the exact name :v: VVV

Bats fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 25, 2010

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

Bats posted:

http://www.offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

Get that for some better textures.

http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

Get that to update the unreal renderer to directx 9/10/11. It makes it run/look nicer and also lets you enable some additional features via the unreal engine console/gui, like AA etc.

hm so the kentie guy says to stay away from the HDTP project as its been dead for years and instead recommends New Vision:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision/

Anybody tried it?

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

bomper posted:

It's funny, because you're describing the terribly deadpan character of JC Denton.

I played through Deus Ex until I get captured? And ended up in a laboratory somewhere? It was frustrating because the area before it was a forced loss, it's impossible to kill the robot-guy who "captures" you and that was really irksome. Then it puts me in a jail cell "oh no how am I gonna get out of this????" answer: deus ex. And then into a boring samey laboratory and I gave up. I played through liberty island because everybody always says that it gets better after that, but it doesn't. I went from liberty island to a dark city where everything looked like it was made out of mud and I forced myself to beat that part then hey! Back on liberty island fighting terrorists apparently. Also my brother was doing suspect things for some reason. I don't know. Half my time in that game was spent wandering around and being bored hoping someone interesting would show up and engage me. I never felt like I was having an impact on the story and I never felt like the setting was fleshed out to where I could begin to understand everything that was going on or why I should care. Additionally I have an abiding distaste for early 3-D graphics, the textures and sharp polygons really get on my nerves and give me a headache after a while. And no I am not interesting in spending several hours of mods that will probably not improve an experience I found dubious at best.

Invisible War on the other hand was a tightly controlled experience. You went through it, were given your choices, it was good. You were rewarded for exploring and I really liked the biomod(?) system in that game. Also I thought egypt had great atmosphere. It really reminds me of the original Fable and Thief 3, both games that I enjoy. Of course it's a flawed experience but I think those are just the kind of games I like.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Masterful troll, hats off. This one's got it all!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

YOURFRIEND posted:

It's you, you're what's wrong with games today.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

YOURFRIEND posted:

:words:
Clearly your experience was soured by an inability to read or write when Deus Ex was first released.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm playing Invisible War (bought it when it was bundled with the first game on Steam for about £3) and I don't know what to do with all these biomod canisters people are handing out like sweeties. I've already upgraded the mods I think are most useful and I'd have to override them to install new ones, wasting the three canisters I used to get there. Am I going to end up lugging dozens of useless canisters around by the end of the game or is there something I can do with them?
One thing you'll need all those extra canisters for is changing hacking to something (anything) else once you're done with Cairo for the second time.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

YOURFRIEND posted:

It's funny, because you're describing the terribly deadpan character of JC Denton.

I played through Deus Ex until I get captured? And ended up in a laboratory somewhere? It was frustrating because the area before it was a forced loss, it's impossible to kill the robot-guy who "captures" you and that was really irksome. Then it puts me in a jail cell "oh no how am I gonna get out of this????" answer: deus ex. And then into a boring samey laboratory and I gave up. I played through liberty island because everybody always says that it gets better after that, but it doesn't. I went from liberty island to a dark city where everything looked like it was made out of mud and I forced myself to beat that part then hey! Back on liberty island fighting terrorists apparently. Also my brother was doing suspect things for some reason. I don't know. Half my time in that game was spent wandering around and being bored hoping someone interesting would show up and engage me. I never felt like I was having an impact on the story and I never felt like the setting was fleshed out to where I could begin to understand everything that was going on or why I should care. Additionally I have an abiding distaste for early 3-D graphics, the textures and sharp polygons really get on my nerves and give me a headache after a while. And no I am not interesting in spending several hours of mods that will probably not improve an experience I found dubious at best.

Invisible War on the other hand was a tightly controlled experience. You went through it, were given your choices, it was good. You were rewarded for exploring and I really liked the biomod(?) system in that game. Also I thought egypt had great atmosphere. It really reminds me of the original Fable and Thief 3, both games that I enjoy. Of course it's a flawed experience but I think those are just the kind of games I like.

I dunno if he's trolling or not but he's right about DX. Is it worth getting DX2 on the cheap?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Category Fun! posted:

Is it worth getting DX2 on the cheap?

Its 2 dollars and 50 cents. If you really have to question the quality of a game at that price you should basically already know the answer.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 25, 2010

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought one of my friends the Deus Ex pack. Hopefully she plays it, and I know if she likes it her friends will hear about it.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Hogburto posted:

Clearly your experience was soured by an inability to read or write when Deus Ex was first released.

Well, I was twelve when it was released and I suppose playing as trenchcoat guy with no vocal inflection may have appealed to me at that time. However the first time I played the game was last year and I found JC to be a boring protagonist, listlessly idling through whatever the plot threw at him.

I'm not trolling. I just think Invisible War is a far better game than it gets credit for, and definitely worth picking up for cheap. I wouldn't say I *love* it nor would I say it's the "worst game ever" by a long shot.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
If you got to the jail cell without figuring out why Paul's behavior was standing out, you're a moron.
Or you skipped through the dialogue all the dialogue in the game up to there since you started that in Liberty Island after hearing it was slow-paced and you just hoped the story would be fed to you through cinematics instead and blamed the game when it wasn't.
Or wandering around waiting for "someone interesting" to "show up and engage you" like you're in a tunnel-pathed console fps plot driven by the character inevitably moving toward the next area. A game with a "tightly-controlled experience. You went through" to get your food pellet of next plot point.

Mainly, I think it comes down to that if you think the plot of Deus Ex isn't "fleshed out" there is something wrong with you in the skull area. Every part of the plot is covered from multiple sources in the game; the mood of the environment is established in books, scenes, characters; you're character's origins and purpose are hinted and revealed; there is an ongoing relevant sub-story you find chapters of in books as you go. The game is thorough enough that it explains itself literally and philosophically (for gently caress's sake).

But kudos for tolerating the game almost up to the part where your character starts heavily influencing the plot.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 25, 2010

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

YOURFRIEND posted:

Well, I was twelve when it was released and I suppose playing as trenchcoat guy with no vocal inflection may have appealed to me at that time. However the first time I played the game was last year and I found JC to be a boring protagonist, listlessly idling through whatever the plot threw at him.

I'm not trolling. I just think Invisible War is a far better game than it gets credit for, and definitely worth picking up for cheap. I wouldn't say I *love* it nor would I say it's the "worst game ever" by a long shot.

And it only took you two posts for someone to buy you a new title!

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Their militant defense of a mediocre ten year old game most of them enjoyed when they were pre-teens says a lot about the game itself, no?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

YOURFRIEND posted:

Their militant defense of a mediocre ten year old game most of them enjoyed when they were pre-teens says a lot about the game itself, no?

How can I trust your opinion? You love THE WORST VIDEOGAME EVER MADE :reject:

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

YOURFRIEND posted:

It really doesn't. I get it that you're trying to get a rise out of these guys, but seriously this says nothing about the game. Try harder.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

YOURFRIEND posted:

However the first time I played the game was last year and I found JC to be a boring protagonist, listlessly idling through whatever the plot threw at him.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I really like IW too. The songs they used for the night club level in the beginning made me actually track down and order the CD of the band responsible. Also enjoyed the background of the cyborg faction and some of the level designs, among other things. Sure, it had its flaws, but all in all I would call it a good game.

Now don't get me wrong, IW comes nowhere close to its predecessor, which is still one of the best games ever made, but I think that most people treat it too harshly.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You really are a cunt

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Jerome Agricola posted:

It really doesn't. I get it that you're trying to get a rise out of these guys, but seriously this says nothing about the game. Try harder.

I'm not. I don't do that. I understand that you are incapable of believing that someone sees flaws in Deus Ex, but it's simply not a component of my personalty to mess with people or be dishonest with my opinions.

Hogburto posted:

If you got to the jail cell without figuring out why Paul's behavior was standing out, you're a moron.
Or you skipped through the dialogue all the dialogue in the game up to there since you started that in Liberty Island after hearing it was slow-paced and you just hoped the story would be fed to you through cinematics instead and blamed the game when it wasn't.
Or wandering around waiting for "someone interesting" to "show up and engage you" like you're in a tunnel-pathed console fps plot driven by the character inevitably moving toward the next area. A game with a "tightly-controlled experience. You went through" to get your food pellet of next plot point.

Mainly, I think it comes down to that if you think the plot of Deus Ex isn't "fleshed out" there is something wrong with you in the skull area. Every part of the plot is covered from multiple sources in the game; the mood of the environment is established in books, scenes, characters; you're character's origins and purpose are hinted and revealed; there is an ongoing relevant sub-story you find chapters of in books as you go. The game is thorough enough that it explains itself literally and philosophically (for gently caress's sake).

But kudos for tolerating the game almost up to the part where your character starts heavily influencing the plot.

Well no, I understood what Paul's(that's his name?) thing was. He was questioning the motivations of the people you both work for, right? It's fairly heavy handed. I didn't skip any of the dialouge at all, I walked around and explored and spoke to everyone, expecting them to flesh out the setting and their characters. They did not. People always describe this as a game I'd really love, something open ended and rewarding and with a lot of layers to peel back. I found none of that. I love Mass Effect and games like that, I read every codex entry and felt really immersed in the world. It's possible that I'm just spoiled by modern gaming; I think that if Deus Ex had a codex feature where I could read up on the technology and setting I would've liked it a lot more.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

YOURFRIEND posted:

I'm not. I don't do that. I understand that you are incapable of believing that someone sees flaws in Deus Ex, but it's simply not a component of my personalty to mess with people or be dishonest with my opinions.

You misunderstand me. I am not one to flaunt DX as a perfect game. I am, however, one to see through your bullshit about "Their militant defense of a mediocre ten year old game most of them enjoyed when they were pre-teens" saying something about the game. This is the bit with which you really should try harder. For the sake of this thread, do it somewhere else, though.

Thought-out criticisms (and rationalized opinions like in your last post) are still welcome, at least by me.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

YOURFRIEND posted:

People always describe this as a game I'd really love, something open ended and rewarding and with a lot of layers to peel back. I found none of that. I love Mass Effect and games like that, I read every codex entry and felt really immersed in the world. It's possible that I'm just spoiled by modern gaming; I think that if Deus Ex had a codex feature where I could read up on the technology and setting I would've liked it a lot more.

Indeed, I also think that JC was boring and passive, and would greatly prefer interacting with an encyclopedia :wtc:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tarquinn posted:

I really like IW too. The songs they used for the night club level in the beginning made me actually track down and order the CD of the band responsible. Also enjoyed the background of the cyborg faction and some of the level designs, among other things. Sure, it had its flaws, but all in all I would call it a good game.

Now don't get me wrong, IW comes nowhere close to its predecessor, which is still one of the best games ever made, but I think that most people treat it too harshly.

it's rubbish. name a major FPS game in the last decade that had a worse engine or UI. The engine couldn't loving handle a small apartment building, it was so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

YOURFRIEND posted:

Well no, I understood what Paul's(that's his name?) thing was. He was questioning the motivations of the people you both work for, right? It's fairly heavy handed. I didn't skip any of the dialouge at all, I walked around and explored and spoke to everyone, expecting them to flesh out the setting and their characters. They did not. People always describe this as a game I'd really love, something open ended and rewarding and with a lot of layers to peel back. I found none of that. I love Mass Effect and games like that, I read every codex entry and felt really immersed in the world. It's possible that I'm just spoiled by modern gaming; I think that if Deus Ex had a codex feature where I could read up on the technology and setting I would've liked it a lot more.

this is worldbuilding, not storytelling, and one of the reasons that DX was kinda cool was that it didn't give a poo poo about worldbuilding, which is a terrible writing technique.