Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elite burrito
May 9, 2010
That is exactly what is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I'm exactly halfway through the RH131 course (Red Hat System Administration). I apparently have to option to write an exam at the end of this for an additional $400 to become a "Red Hat Certified Technician". Would that be in any way worth it? I have a stable job, but you never know.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I saw someone SSH into a server typing something like "ssh user@servernickname" instead of putting in a domain or IP address. I'm assuming he edited some kind of file on his computer that associated that nickname with the server. How do I do that too?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Ziir posted:

I saw someone SSH into a server typing something like "ssh user@servernickname" instead of putting in a domain or IP address. I'm assuming he edited some kind of file on his computer that associated that nickname with the server. How do I do that too?

It was probably something his computer could resolve over DNS as-written. If that's not an option for you, /etc/hosts is the file and it has a couple of examples.

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!
I discovered GNU screen a few years ago and have been using it to make my Irssi sessions and sometimes my bash sessions detachable. But I haven't been doing anything else with it. Until yesterday, when I realized I could be doing so much more with it.

Among other things, I've set the splitscreen caption to always show and customized it a bit to show the time, my current screen number, and the other screens in my session. But I just have one teensy little problem. The caption line would be a lot less intrusive at the top of my screen. Is there any way to move it, or will I have to figure out some other method? While Googling around I found a few references to statuses at the top of screen sessions, but I'm obviously overlooking the command to do it in the man page. :(

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Ziir posted:

Edit .ssh/config

There you can add stuff like
code:
Host nickname
User yourusername
HostName my.server.dns (or just ip number)
Protocol 2
ForwardX11 yes
Now, instead of ssh user@hostname you can just use ssh nickname. You'll automatically log into the user specified.

Of course, it'll work with scp too! :)

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Ziir posted:

He's probably got domain or search in his /etc/resolv.conf for the domain the server is in, but he could also have a entry in /etc/hosts or ~/.ssh/config for that name (or a shell alias or a special executable or...).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

FeloniousDrunk posted:

I'm exactly halfway through the RH131 course (Red Hat System Administration). I apparently have to option to write an exam at the end of this for an additional $400 to become a "Red Hat Certified Technician". Would that be in any way worth it? I have a stable job, but you never know.
RHCT is a great certification if you're predominantly a Windows guy applying for a job where they'd like a candidate with some, if not a ton, of Linux experience. It probably won't help you land much by way of Linux administration besides entry-level stuff, but it's an amazing booster if you're trying to go cross-platform.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

elite burrito posted:

What did you change the TCP timeout to? For this to work, it needs to be greater than the interval at which the irc server pings you (more specifically, greater than the longest interval between any two packets that will match the firewall rule allowing you to connect to the IRC server).

Don't think of IRC ping as ICMP ping. It is just a command sent over the irc TCP session, not a "true ping".

Some stateful firewalls have a feature that will allow an ACK packet that doesn't match the state table to be compared against the firewall rulebase, in reverse. I do not know if DD-WRT would have this, it is typically seen in enterprise firewalls. In checkpoint it is called "Allow out of state TCP packet". If DD-WRTs firewall has a feature like this, I think it would help you.

Any kind of IRC script that sent data over the connection at an interval rate shorter than your TCP timeout should help you.

I don't know what your firewall policy is set up like or what your network is set up like, but you could always write a rule above the ESTABLISHED rules (I assume DD-WRT is driven by iptables) saying anything from irc server to your pc, accept, and the reverse. Of course you need to work out things like port forwarding and NATs as they pertain to your network.

Ninja Rope posted:

Maybe dd-wrt is removing state table entries after a period of time that is less than the interval between irc server ping attempts.

I'm about 90% sure this isn't the case, as irssi's max_lag_before_disconnect (which seems to be driving the ping timeout disconnects) is set to 5 minutes, while the current TCP timeout in dd-wrt is set to 3600s.

I do see that the latest build of dd-wrt I flashed to this router now has a drop-down field for 'tcp congestion control' with a bunch of oddly named schemes - I'll do some digging and see if any apply.

Otherwise, I'm starting to blame this on NAT table / translation / redirection issues from the 2wire modem that stands infront of the WNDR3700 router. It' a 3800 series 2wire, the router is in DMZ+ mode, and while dhcp is enabled on the 2wire (so I can easily pop back in to check settings as I try to troubleshoot this) it's on a 172.x subnet - so no risk of oddball collision scenarios I don't think.

In regards to 2wire, it does sound like a buddy who works for the telco that provides it is having similar issues, and it may be some level of NAT corruption taking place on that series modem/gateway (as it happens well before the NAT table should be anywhere close to full). If the tcp congestion control schemes don't change anything in DD-WRT, I think it's time to order that static IP I've been putting off and force my ISP to give me a new gateway/modem.

elite burrito
May 9, 2010
If state aging is indeed the problem, It doesn't have to do with lag, it has to do with an idle connection. If there is nothing going across the TCP socket, irssi won't see any lag. And if nothing goes over the TCP socket for an hour, your TCP socket will be aged from the state table, and only a SYN packet from you to irc server will be allowed through.

Simple way to find out for sure: turn full logging on on irssi, and the next time it happens. check to see if anything has come across in the last hour.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

elite burrito posted:

If state aging is indeed the problem, It doesn't have to do with lag, it has to do with an idle connection. If there is nothing going across the TCP socket, irssi won't see any lag. And if nothing goes over the TCP socket for an hour, your TCP socket will be aged from the state table, and only a SYN packet from you to irc server will be allowed through.

Simple way to find out for sure: turn full logging on on irssi, and the next time it happens. check to see if anything has come across in the last hour.

Wow good idea, not sure why I didn't think of upping the log level for irssi to diagnose.

I've bumped TCP timeout to 7200 and I'll try irssi logging as well.

edit - ok silly question, what do I need to turn on full logging for irssi to watch for those errors / timeouts?

Lukano fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 24, 2010

elite burrito
May 9, 2010
Not sure what your network is like in terms of active connections, or your dd-wrt's state table memory page is, but you may see some performance implications from increasing state table timeouts. If you do, you can always switch back and go for the ping script fix (or just idle in a super busy channel).

State table performance is likely more of a concern for my 40Gbps firewall than for your dd-wrt though.

elite burrito
May 9, 2010
/set autolog_level ALL
/set autolog on

I think.

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

elite burrito posted:

/set autolog_level ALL
/set autolog on

I think.

Thanks. Those commands worked at the very least, I'll have to wait and dig through logs should I see the timeouts persist (and/or hope that changing TCP Congestion Control to CUBIC and increasing max TCP connections / timeout a bit fixed the issue - though they haven't in the past).

Active connections vary, I'd say a few thousand peak at any given time, with my current count being a pretty meager 200-300 (it is a home network after all) on a 25/3 VDSL line.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I will be moving more of our Linux systems to use LDAP authentication soon.

This question probably isn't a major issue, but it would be good to figure out.

Anyway, most of our users have their home on a certain NFS share.

Some will have this:
/zanyserver/home/username
Some will have this:
/evilserver/home/username

And some will have no home set.

Users with an existing home log in and have their home on the NFS share. Users with no home would log in with an error that they have no home, and are dropped in / root with no access to anything.

Looking up info on creating a home on log in lead me to some info. So I added this to /etc/pam.d/common-session to create a home on login:
code:
session required          pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022
So users with no home get a home created on login. That works for them. But then when a user that already has a home on an NFS share logs in, the login process errors-out because it tries to create a home on the NFS share (when it is already there), but fails because the system doesn't have permission to that share (only the user logging in has permission to the location). The system then kicks out the user back to the login prompt.

Is there a way for it to have it not try to create a home on the NFS share? Maybe not "cancel login" even if it fails to make a home?

I don't know if I'm explaining this correctly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Xenomorph posted:

I will be moving more of our Linux systems to use LDAP authentication soon.

This question probably isn't a major issue, but it would be good to figure out.

Anyway, most of our users have their home on a certain NFS share.

Some will have this:
/zanyserver/home/username
Some will have this:
/evilserver/home/username

And some will have no home set.

Users with an existing home log in and have their home on the NFS share. Users with no home would log in with an error that they have no home, and are dropped in / root with no access to anything.

Looking up info on creating a home on log in lead me to some info. So I added this to /etc/pam.d/common-session to create a home on login:
code:
session required          pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022
So users with no home get a home created on login. That works for them. But then when a user that already has a home on an NFS share logs in, the login process errors-out because it tries to create a home on the NFS share (when it is already there), but fails because the system doesn't have permission to that share (only the user logging in has permission to the location). The system then kicks out the user back to the login prompt.

Is there a way for it to have it not try to create a home on the NFS share? Maybe not "cancel login" even if it fails to make a home?

I don't know if I'm explaining this correctly.

Maybe you could change required to requisite, sufficient, or optional? I don't know much about PAM, but that would be where I look first.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

Maybe you could change required to requisite, sufficient, or optional? I don't know much about PAM, but that would be where I look first.

'sufficient' and 'optional' allow it to work! (I don't know why I didn't even think to try that. v___v )

It gives the error about unable to create the directory, and then the user logs in.

So, now I'm wondering if I could suppress that error so it doesn't frighten users...

I may just drop the whole <i>pam_mkhomedir.so</i> part and make sure homes are set up already. Part of the new server upgrade has to be a more logical and common home structure.

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS
We're thinking of going with CentOS in our production environment. I know it "strives" for 100% binary compatibility with Redhat, but I'm wondering if that ends up being true in reality. Just wondering if anyone has had issues running software meant for Redhat on CentOS.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm a Windows guy (for now)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Loads of people use CentOS on their servers with no trouble. It's great.

Do you have a specific program in mind?

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS

rt4 posted:

Loads of people use CentOS on their servers with no trouble. It's great.

Do you have a specific program in mind?
Several:
BackupExec
Symantec Endpoint Protection
Bigfix
Likewise

Also, I was in a meeting yesterday with a PCI compliant IT team and they said that their Redhat rep said they don't need to install Antivirus on the Redhat servers. What is up with that?

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

kripes posted:

We're thinking of going with CentOS in our production environment. I know it "strives" for 100% binary compatibility with Redhat, but I'm wondering if that ends up being true in reality. Just wondering if anyone has had issues running software meant for Redhat on CentOS.

Our "main" servers have ridiculous RHEL licenses so we keep that on them, but we've been moving to using CentOS on newer servers that we don't want to add that extra $5000 bill to, and I've been using it on my clients.

We used to have nasty problems with different kernels on fedora/ubuntu clients and our RHEL servers causing NFS issues and crap, but after rolling out Cent to all clients, binary compatibility is great (ran into NFS issues once, but it was a kernel at the server level issue, one patch fixed it up).

The only problem we had (years and years ago) was installing maple on a Cent box, but the maple installer did a manual check for an actual RHEL kernel, changing one line in the install script allowed it to be installed and run perfectly.

You might have to wait a day or so for some packages to be updated, but 99% speaking, it's RHEL without the graphics or licensing.

**edit**

My new experience in pain will start soon, since our RHEL/Cent servers do nothing but serve files anymore after some major sweeping DNS changes on campus and us being forces to shutdown email serving/etc. . . so I'm looking to move my linux users to authenticating with AD and mounting home directories off of Windows servers.

Should be fun!

enotnert fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 25, 2010

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

kripes posted:

Also, I was in a meeting yesterday with a PCI compliant IT team and they said that their Redhat rep said they don't need to install Antivirus on the Redhat servers. What is up with that?
It really all depends on the opinion of the QSA validating your environment when you go for compliance. The spec says all systems need AV, so we just have ClamAV scanning home directories and what not once a day and that was enough for that check mark. I wouldn't risk not having it because of third-hand info (even though it's most likely a complete waste of time).

lilbean fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 25, 2010

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

lilbean posted:

It really all depends on the opinion of the QSA validating your environment when you go for compliance. The spec says all systems need AV, so we just have ClamAV scanning home directories and what not once a day and that was enough for that check mark. I wouldn't risk not having it because of third-hand info (even though it's most likely a complete waste of time).

Eh, I'd consider it worth it as long as it's not causing performance issues on the server. Anything it catches is a potential annoyance nipped in the bud.

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS
Yeah and we already have Symantec Endpoint Protection covering our Windows boxes and additional client licenses are around $30 each, so no big deal really to cover the Linux boxes.

Thanks for the replies

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

As a followup to my question / frustrations detailed on the last page of the thread ;

I dropped DD-WRT from my router (WNDR3700) and replaced it with OpenWRT. Now going on 16hrs since doing so, and haven't dropped from IRC once - no missing IM messages via bitlbee - basically none of the issues I was having previously.

So something is still funky with DD-WRT (and/or flashing back to the stock firmware then back to a WRT variant fixed it) for that router.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I've got a pretty hopeless question...

Is there any reason certain programs/daemons would not be able to access the network whatsoever even though everything else is working properly?

I've got XBMC-Live running on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Internet works perfectly from command line, even as the xbmc user. I have other servers and daemons (smb, deluge) that access the network perfectly, as does SSH from my desktop.

But for some reason xbmc-live cannot access the network whatsoever. The XBMC forums (The Least Helpful Place On Earth) are of course useless. The only thing I can think is somewhere in the init scripts (it uses upstart) something is happening that the program is being denied internet access when it starts.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rescue Toaster posted:

I've got a pretty hopeless question...

Is there any reason certain programs/daemons would not be able to access the network whatsoever even though everything else is working properly?

I've got XBMC-Live running on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Internet works perfectly from command line, even as the xbmc user. I have other servers and daemons (smb, deluge) that access the network perfectly, as does SSH from my desktop.

But for some reason xbmc-live cannot access the network whatsoever. The XBMC forums (The Least Helpful Place On Earth) are of course useless. The only thing I can think is somewhere in the init scripts (it uses upstart) something is happening that the program is being denied internet access when it starts.
How are you determining that it's not accessing the network at all? What do Wireshark/tcpdump say the network is actually doing when XBMC-Live should be accessing it?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
When I, for instance, try to scrape, I see some DNS requests:

192.168.1.5 -> 192.168.1.254 DNS Standard Query AAAA api.themoviedb.org

and finally a response:

192.168.1.254 -> 192.168.1.5 DNS Standard Query response CNAME[Packet size limited during capture]

But there are never any http (or otherwise) attempts after that point.

From what I can see, it's the ubiquitous ipv6 & ubuntu incredibly-slow-web-browsing problem screwing up libcurl. Supposedly setting ipv6.disable=1 in the grub kernel line fixes it. I'll have to test that.

EDIT: Yeah it was ipv6. I had it before a long time ago on my laptop. Something about my ISP reporting it supports ipv6 at least partially, so ubuntu always tries that first and chokes unless you disable it completely.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 27, 2010

elite burrito
May 9, 2010

kripes posted:

CentOS is solid, realistically the only issue that you will run into is a vendor who doesn't want to support their software running on it (which is retarded).

But another option that you do have is setting up one redhat box with RHN support as a yum mirror and installing 1305213682148135 unsupported redhat boxes not registered with RHN and pointed at your local yum mirror for updates. You will get security patches slightly faster than with CentOS, and can always buy support for those boxes if you need them, or do the shady move of calling in whatever issue you have on your 1 supported box, just have to be sly about it.

As far as antivirus on unix, I have been through Level 1 audits with multiple companies and have never seen that.

I did have a QSA one time ask me to show him the evidence of antivirus running on my Cisco switches and Routers. He didn't stay around much longer though.

elite burrito fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 27, 2010

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

elite burrito posted:

I did have a QSA one time ask me to show him the evidence of antivirus running on my Cisco switches and Routers. He didn't stay around much longer though.

Peel the McAfee sticker off a laptop at Best Buy, and stick it on your router.

SEE?!

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I'm having trouble getting my fresh ubuntu 10.0 installation to utilize my Belkin USB Wireless stick ( Belkin f5d805v6 ).

Any ideas?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spaceship posted:

I'm having trouble getting my fresh ubuntu 10.0 installation to utilize my Belkin USB Wireless stick ( Belkin f5d805v6 ).

Any ideas?

Are you sure that's the right model number? Google doesn't find anything about it.

Have you tried just using the Windows driver with ndiswrapper?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Bob Morales posted:

Are you sure that's the right model number? Google doesn't find anything about it.

Have you tried just using the Windows driver with ndiswrapper?

Driver page for the card:

http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/464

I have not tried that yet, I'll give that a shot - thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Can anyone recommend a mySQL benchmark package for Linux? Bonus points if it also runs on BSD.

I tried to build sysbench and super-smack but they were pretty out of date.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I bet Phoronix Test Suite supports it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The MySQL Benchmark Suite comes with MySQL's source distribution. I don't know what benchmarking MySQL independent of any particular application workload accomplishes other than regression-testing on performance between versions, though.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just dropping in to tell everybody that I replaced Adobe Flash with Lightspark and it kicks rear end.

Having multiple tabs open with Flash would often bring my browser to a crawl. Lightspark uses OpenGL and multithreading or whatever techno babble and it's so much better.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

rt4 posted:

Just dropping in to tell everybody that I replaced Adobe Flash with Lightspark and it kicks rear end.

Having multiple tabs open with Flash would often bring my browser to a crawl. Lightspark uses OpenGL and multithreading or whatever techno babble and it's so much better.
So lightspark has finally come to a somewhat workable state? Nice.

I'll give it a spin whenever I get the time.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Addendum: it works for most Youtube videos and a few other things, but doesn't work for about half of the sites I've tried by now.
It's not reliable enough to replace the default Flash player, but it's really great and fast when it does work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

rt4 posted:

Addendum: it works for most Youtube videos and a few other things, but doesn't work for about half of the sites I've tried by now.
It's not reliable enough to replace the default Flash player, but it's really great and fast when it does work.
Still, it's probably in a better state then when I last tried it, gnash and swfdec a year ago or so (where I couldn't actually find anything that actually worked with it at all). :)