Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
When I bend strings while playing with a capo on my Ibanez RG the strings slip a bit under the cape making the string go slightly out of tune. Are there any fancy ways of avoiding this or is my capo just poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009

Boz0r posted:

When I bend strings while playing with a capo on my Ibanez RG the strings slip a bit under the cape making the string go slightly out of tune. Are there any fancy ways of avoiding this or is my capo just poo poo?

Yes! Stop bending strings.

(Seriously though, capo is probably poo poo. What kind do you have?)

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
A Shubb Lite Capo. I think maybe it's because the RG neck is so thin it can't really apply enough pressure. Which capos are good?

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)

Ninja Toast! posted:

Yes! Stop using a capo!

Fixed.

edit: vvv Yeah, yeah... I was being facetious. Carry on.

The Mystery Date fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 20, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Stop using a capo? You are aware capos unlock a whole slew of musical possibilities, right?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Boz0r posted:

A Shubb Lite Capo. I think maybe it's because the RG neck is so thin it can't really apply enough pressure. Which capos are good?

Shubbs are good; perhaps the RG's fretboard is less convex than most electrics'. You could try a cheap Dunlop capo with a flat (classical guitar) profile and see if that does the trick.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No questions this time around just felt the need to share.

Cracked open the lap steel of bad ideas this afternoon and to my confusion and amusement discovered the pickup was a Duncan distortion that seems to have been set up for coil tap when comparing the tangle of wiring to a Les Paul manual from the library.
Between that and the notation painted on the neck guessing some goofball back in the 80s found the thing in granddad's attic or a yard sale and tried to turn it in to a mini hard rock guitar or some such.

FeedbackBsr
Apr 26, 2007
On the good old M-Audio Audiophile USB, is the headphone out able to be used as a separate output so I can do digital mixing? I have this vague feeling that it's possibly cloned from the master.

Am I going to have to buy a whole new soundcard, or fork out for the Numark Mixtrack PRO edition (I was going to get the basic version since I already have a soundcard- however thats a moot point if the output is cloned).

Longing to mix again, and just dont have the money to go vinyl once more :(

EDIT- May crosspost to the DJ Weapons of choice thread if it cant be answered here...

FeedbackBsr fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 23, 2010

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

Schiavona posted:

I have a Crate GFX212T guitar amp that I didn't touch for 5 or so years. I tried using it today, but when I plugged in my guitar, no sound came out of the speakers. The amp turns on and whatnot, but no sound from any cable that goes in. I'm pretty sure this issue was why I stopped using it in the first place, but I don't remember because I switched to primarily playing bass and then acoustic guitar for the past few years.

Is this thing worth getting fixed? Any idea how much it will cost? Is it something stupid I should probably do myself?
My roommate left me his non-working amp when he moved out. I just went and checked and it is indeed a GFX212. Let me know if you ever figure that out. I tried swapping out the fuse but that didn't seem to do anything.

edit: GFX212 not sure about the T.

TheForgotton fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 24, 2010

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Sorry if this is asked a lot but...

What is a good resource for a wide variety of free sheet music? Every site I find either has a poo poo selection or wants to charge me.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
What are some steps I can take to increase sustain on my Floyd-equipped Ibanez 450S? I've been running down the things that could help:

-Locking nut:
I've tried clasping it tighter and not; makes no difference. Seems to be in good condition overall.

-Frets:
I can't tell whether they're worn out. They don't look jagged, and still look quite shiny. They are pretty flat in some places, instead of being rounded out at the place where they touch the string. None of them stick out or are ill-fitting.

-Trem:
I've tried putting in more (up to 5) and less (3) springs. Doesn't seem to make any difference. I think it's an Ibanez Edge bridge, but it says 'Licensed By Floyd Rose Patents' or something on it, so I could be wrong. I've heightened the action a bit too, which doesn't seem to make any difference.

-Pickups:
The middle pickup on these types of S series is notorious for its high output. I've lowered it all the way it can go, but it still seems to have major pull on the strings. I've also lowered the neck pickup a bit, but I doubt that it has any major influence. I test this by placing a thin allen key between the string and the pickup and counteracting the magnet's pull. Aside from the middle pickup, there is almost no pull from the bridge and neck ones.

-Neck:
Seems to be perfectly straight. I've looked at it from every angle, and it's great. Nothing I could do there.

-Strings:
I kind of have the feeling that the D'Addarios I used to put on it were more suited for the guitar, maybe fit all the slots better if you know what I mean. The guy I bought it off used D'Addarios too. I used to be able to get any note to sustain indefinitely through feedback with the amp. Ever since putting Slinkies on it and re-intonating it (it's still perfect) I haven't been able to do that.

It sucks, because on my old OLP Petrucci signature series budget model, I've got 09 Slinkies as opposed to 10s. It too has a floating bridge (not a floyd though) but sustains a lot longer in comparison.

Now, here's what I think: either it's the strings, the Floyd's sustain block or the middle pickup. I hope it's the strings, and that they will make the difference after restringing the guitar. If not, I'd have to shell out bigger cash for the other two options. Now if it isn't the strings, I'm hoping it's the Floyd sustain block. Hell, I might buy a brass 32mm one off of Ebay in the next couple of days, seeing as it's a FloydUpgrades one and is listed pretty cheap (25 euros, free shipping).

But the idea that the middle pickup is still pulling too much on the strings hasn't left my mind either. Does anyone have any experience with stuff like this? Should I just get the guitar professionally set up (I don't know what else they could do, really..), is there something else I'm missing? Try strings?

e: pinch harmonics fade out far too fast and the guitar just doesn't sustain notes :(

SSJ2 Goku Wilders fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 26, 2010

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Have you had it set up before?

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 26, 2010

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Achtane posted:

Have you had it set up before?

No.

E: should i post this in the New To Guitar thread?

SSJ2 Goku Wilders fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 27, 2010

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos
Ok, so I have two beginner guitars that a friend let me have, and I'd like to use one of them for an art project (I know, I know), but I'm unsure of which one is worth keeping. Both are minus all electronics, but they seem to be in good condition. One is an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and one is an Ibanez GAX70. Would either of these be worth fixing up?

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
Hey so I'm looking for a VSTi sampler where you can set a loop region in the sample.

On most basic samplers, it doesn't matter how long you press the key down for, it will just play the sample start to end and that's it. What I want to do is select a loop region so it will keep playing the sample until you let go of the key. I don't want it to loop the whole sample, just small region of it to make it sound like one continuous note.

Please help me muso goons :ohdear:

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

You can do that in NI Kontakt, and even set multiple loop zones, but it isn't free.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/kontakt-4/

There are also objects in MAX/MSP which can do this, if you have it already. Otherwise either of those pieces of software could be pretty expensive.

I don't know of any cheap alternatives.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Short Circuit is a decent, free sampler that should do what you want. Go with 1.1.2, as 2 was never finished and is buggy as hell.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
welp i gave it three days and didn't really get any comments here, so i went and bought:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=190468454994&Category=41407&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1#ht_3659wt_1139

brass sustain block. Can't wait to to switch out my pot-metal one with this baby. It looks twice the size. If this doesn't help out with sustain, I think nothing will.

e: a question though: that retainer bar he screwed into it, is that the same one that's on the headstock, to keep the strings from detuning when you lock them at the nut? Why did he put that there?

SSJ2 Goku Wilders fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 28, 2010

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

welp i gave it three days and didn't really get any comments here, so i went and bought:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=190468454994&Category=41407&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1#ht_3659wt_1139

brass sustain block. Can't wait to to switch out my pot-metal one with this baby. It looks twice the size. If this doesn't help out with sustain, I think nothing will.

e: a question though: that retainer bar he screwed into it, is that the same one that's on the headstock, to keep the strings from detuning when you lock them at the nut? Why did he put that there?

No it's not the same as on the headstock.
That bar is there to hold the springs in the block. I've never had it happen but if you get too aggressive with the bar the springs could pop out of the block. That bar will prevent it from happening.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

Get your guitar set up and talk to the tech about your problem. Then post back and to say what he/she says.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

No it's not the same as on the headstock.
That bar is there to hold the springs in the block. I've never had it happen but if you get too aggressive with the bar the springs could pop out of the block. That bar will prevent it from happening.

Thanks. I hope it doesn't do that for me.

quote:

Get your guitar set up and talk to the tech about your problem. Then post back and to say what he/she says.

It'll have to wait until my next paycheck, but that seems like a good idea. Even Achtane mentioned it earlier in the thread. Thing is, I'm not exactly swimming in cash as a student, and am somewhat wary of our local professional guitar shop (you might've noticed some reluctance on my part to acknowledge set up as a problem). Last time I got a guitar set up, I paid 70 euros (about 90 dollars) for them to set up my OLP, which was a few months out of factory. I have no idea where all that cash went.

If I can solve it myself, I rather would, you know?

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
Thanks guys, I found out FL Studio has it built in with a sampler called DirectWave. ShortCircuit is still more powerful so I'll be using that. I highly recommend it :)

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

Thanks. I hope it doesn't do that for me.

It'll have to wait until my next paycheck, but that seems like a good idea. Even Achtane mentioned it earlier in the thread. Thing is, I'm not exactly swimming in cash as a student, and am somewhat wary of our local professional guitar shop (you might've noticed some reluctance on my part to acknowledge set up as a problem). Last time I got a guitar set up, I paid 70 euros (about 90 dollars) for them to set up my OLP, which was a few months out of factory. I have no idea where all that cash went.

If I can solve it myself, I rather would, you know?

The thing is is that setting up a guitar really does require a professional. You can DIY to an extent, but an experienced guitar tech can do it better. The money is going towards skilled labor, as a set up requires more than a 5 minute fix and very precise tools. That said, 90 bucks seems pretty expensive and I wouldn't put my cash or my guitar in the hands of some dude about whom I know little to nothing. Are there any really experienced teachers or players in your area you can contact? Ask them where they take their guitars.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

burritonegro posted:

The thing is is that setting up a guitar really does require a professional. You can DIY to an extent, but an experienced guitar tech can do it better. The money is going towards skilled labor, as a set up requires more than a 5 minute fix and very precise tools. That said, 90 bucks seems pretty expensive and I wouldn't put my cash or my guitar in the hands of some dude about whom I know little to nothing. Are there any really experienced teachers or players in your area you can contact? Ask them where they take their guitars.

I guess that's all true. The place where I took it last time is this:

http://www.sticks-n-strings.com/

They have a reputation in my province of being good craftsmen and technicians, and they even make custom guitars for people that can afford it.

I'll ask around. Thanks for your help. You've established the 'set it up' idea firmly into my head!

SSJ2 Goku Wilders fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 29, 2010

Ficken von Hicken
Oct 10, 2008

by angerbutt
Question about mogg and ogg files. Let's say I open a mogg file in Audacity and then want to export the individual tracks. I can export them as wav, mp3 or ogg. If I export them all (a bunch of multitracks) as wavs it's gonna take like 10 gigs of hard drive space. Ogg would be much smaller but less quality. Or would it? Is a mogg file just multiple oggs? And would exporting them as ogg just smack'em down as they are or would it compress them again?

I guess it doesn't matter too much but I figure the audio's already been compressed to mogg, then exporting the tracks will compress again, and then the song I use the tracks in will be compressed, for a total of 3 times. Rather than 2....

Again, it's not really a big deal, but I'm curious as to what exporting mogg tracks as ogg will do.

e: Nevermind; I experimented with it and found the answer. Oggs are compressed again, and wavs export a lot faster. I've gotta stop being so miserly with hard drive space.

Ficken von Hicken fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 29, 2010

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Does anyone even make 8 ohm 215 cabs?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Achtane posted:

Does anyone even make 8 ohm 215 cabs?

If you mean bass cabs here's one that doesn't seem too far from you - http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/msg/2079116492.html

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Huh, cool. If only I had some money.

Thanks.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
What's a hexatonic pole?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
What are some important things to look out for when buying normal jack-cables? And can anyone recommend some good/cheap ones?

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Can I use an amp modeler such as Sansamp or a Behringer BDI21 and connect it straight from the guitar to the amp modeler to a headphone without anything else? I'd like to be able to practice in different rooms with headphones on without having to lug an amp around with me.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Bazanga posted:

Can I use an amp modeler such as Sansamp or a Behringer BDI21 and connect it straight from the guitar to the amp modeler to a headphone without anything else? I'd like to be able to practice in different rooms with headphones on without having to lug an amp around with me.

Not with either of those. You would need to connect it to something like a mixer that had a headphone output. You could also just get something like a POD or V-Amp which would have a headphone out. I have a PodXT that I use for recording and practicing guitar and bass. Even though it's designed for guitar I get some really good bass sounds out of it using the Bassman and Hiwatt amp models.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Boz0r posted:

What are some important things to look out for when buying normal jack-cables? And can anyone recommend some good/cheap ones?

Cheaper ones aren't always worth it if you are going to be gigging with them. Planet Waves, Monster Cable, Spectraflex, and some others I'm sure all offer lifetime replacement warranties I wouldn't really consider anything that wasn't covered by something similar. You might pay a little more up front, but when you step on the cord and rip the jack off the end it's nice to be able to just take it to the nearest dealer and swap it out.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Can I link guitar pro files from ultimate-guitar here? If not, does anyone know of a good place to host them?

Also, if I'm writing a melody in F# Dorian in standard notation which key signature should I use, F# or E?

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 1, 2010

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

You would use the E key signature. Dorian mode sounds like it does because it starts on the second scale degree, so you want to keep the original key signature intact, otherwise you would be writing in F# ionian.

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

Check out a little guitar ditty I made today

http://tindeck.com/listen/lirz

What do you think?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed it. Great backwards guitar!

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Living in an apartment, I'm thinking of selling my acoustic drum set to replace it with an electronic model. I remember discussion here a couple years ago about a new/new-ish electric set which was supposed to have fairly realistic stick response w/r/t how and where you hit each pad. That's kind of a vague description but it's all I can remember at this point. I'd like something to keep my chops up, and my practice pad set is just unsatisfying as far as sound goes.

On electric sets in general, what's available in the 800-1000 dollar range? That's about my budget, and what I figure I may be able to sell my current set and hardware for.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Boz0r posted:

Can I link guitar pro files from ultimate-guitar here? If not, does anyone know of a good place to host them?

Also, if I'm writing a melody in F# Dorian in standard notation which key signature should I use, F# or E?

Write it in F#, and sharpen the D's. Thats really confusing, and people will read your intent incorrectly if its in E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I'm thinking of replacing my beat-to-poo poo computer chair with a drum throne. Reasons being that it will save space, force me to use decent posture, and it has no arms to get in the way of instruments when I record playing in front of the computer.

Is there anything I should know about thrones in general in terms of price to goodness ratio, or a particular variety or brand that people like?

Also, this might be a totally stupid idea but a) It's almost bound to be more comfortable than my current chair which is falling apart and b) If it doesn't work out I'll just use the throne for playing out and recording and whatnot and get a real chair anyway.