Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Same here. You should post what you come up with.

I've tried it on a few office buildings I've traveled to and been pretty happy with the results. I certainly haven't gotten into the detail that Woot Fatigue does, but I've loved the results and actually learned a lot about Photoshop in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've tried it on a few office buildings I've traveled to and been pretty happy with the results. I certainly haven't gotten into the detail that Woot Fatigue does, but I've loved the results and actually learned a lot about Photoshop in the process.

Goddamn, where are all these fancy, modern offices? I need to find a job in the private sector.

Nice work.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Yeah, I'm always jealous of people who have access to swanky places like that. I think I'm going to go photograph some of the offices around here. They were mostly built in the 60s and 70s and feature lots of yellow wall paper and rusty radiators. I think it might even turn out cool.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Well, to be fair these are sales sites and the only reason I'm out there is because they've recently updated the buildings. Believe me, the company in question has its fair share of rundown offices.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I bought a 580 EX this afternoon (1 year no interest financing!) and bought what I thought was a NIMH charger with 4 AA batteries, but it turned out to be 2 AA and 2 AAA (those cocksuckers did that on purpose) so I head back out to the store to pick up some more AAs and while I'm there I get to talking on the phone with my mom so instead of just rushing in and grabbing the batteries I wander around the store for a while and I eventually end up in the clearance section and sitting in the pile of camera crap (mostly P&S junk) is a Canon 100mm 2.8 marked at $455 because it's been returned and I think "gee, I know I get a good employee discount on clearance poo poo" so I ask how much it is and she tells me there's no employee discount but there is a big banner ad sitting over the cart that says all items are an additional 20% off so I have her look up why it was returned and the person who bought it said it took photos too far away (I'm guessing it was sold to a first year photography student along with her Rebel, whatever, salesman should have known better) so I open it up and look at it and it doesn't have so much as a smudge on it, so all in all I got a brand new 100mm 2.8 for $380 after tax.

Wooooooooooooooooooooh.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

BobTheCow posted:

Thanks so much! Looks like I got some decent front page play, now I'm curious as to what I've got running in Sports: http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=ME_PPH&ref_pge=lst

He just sent me an email back saying he got it. If you want to PM or email, c (dot) clunie (at) gmail (dot) com, me your address I can mail it. I'll send you a photo of the sports page when he gives it to me.

EDIT: Here are some terrible photos of the sports section. Looks like they used three of your photos.

Wooten fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 23, 2010

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So I bought a 580 EX this afternoon (1 year no interest financing!) and bought what I thought was a NIMH charger with 4 AA batteries, but it turned out to be 2 AA and 2 AAA (those cocksuckers did that on purpose) so I head back out to the store to pick up some more AAs and while I'm there I get to talking on the phone with my mom so instead of just rushing in and grabbing the batteries I wander around the store for a while and I eventually end up in the clearance section and sitting in the pile of camera crap (mostly P&S junk) is a Canon 100mm 2.8 marked at $455 because it's been returned and I think "gee, I know I get a good employee discount on clearance poo poo" so I ask how much it is and she tells me there's no employee discount but there is a big banner ad sitting over the cart that says all items are an additional 20% off so I have her look up why it was returned and the person who bought it said it took photos too far away (I'm guessing it was sold to a first year photography student along with her Rebel, whatever, salesman should have known better) so I open it up and look at it and it doesn't have so much as a smudge on it, so all in all I got a brand new 100mm 2.8 for $380 after tax.

Wooooooooooooooooooooh.

Holy poo poo. I hate you. Grats!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Wooten posted:

EDIT: Here are some terrible photos of the sports section. Looks like they used three of your photos.

Sent you an e-mail. Thanks much! Three in sports plus one on A1, drat. I don't know what their plan was if I didn't hit them up, haha.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

We were talking about photography blogs a while back. I follow quite a few, but today I discovered this gem. It's pretty Leica-centric, but applies to the discipline and the camera industry in general too, and it's all very interesting and fastidiously detailed.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
That's a camera blog, not a photography blog.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Reichstag posted:

That's a camera blog, not a photography blog.

Also, he is someone I would not want to talk to at a party.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
This is insane, Kuwait bans DSLR, SLR status unkown.

http://www.kuwaittimes.net/read_news.php?newsid=MzAwMTg4ODg1

Carrying a SLR sometimes causes raise a few eyebrows to perk up. People tend to think "oh he's THAT guy" but to associate a kit lens as a lethal weapon is a bit too much.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
That article makes little sense either. I read it as saying the culture is uneasy about having their picture taken at all.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

caberham posted:

Carrying a SLR sometimes causes raise a few eyebrows to perk up. People tend to think "oh he's THAT guy" but to associate a kit lens as a lethal weapon is a bit too much.

Iraq needs to roll in there and try to re-liberate them.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Oh Craigslist :allears:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

^^^

Good deal you should jump on it imo.

Saw someone doing the same poo poo for a 7D a couple days ago.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You guys are lucky, craigs list is quiet in my town :( Are they pawn shops or stolen? I'm trying to find a 5D for a goon and cheapest I can find is USD$1020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's straight up scam. There is like a zero percent chance there is a camera at the other end of that listing :v:

To be fair, there might be a broken Nikon D90 body with some kind of Canon sensor glued to the shutter. That I'd believe.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It's no scam. You just have to pay $1000 for shipping.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I keep wanting to reply to those ads and string them along for no particular reason.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I keep wanting to reply to those ads and string them along for no particular reason.

MY NAME TOOF THE MARTY. I GIVE YOU $USD FOR CAMERA BUT NEED BANK ACCT PLEASE NUMBER. WILL SEND EXTRA MONIES $USD YOU KEEP 10% THANK YO UGOD BLESS.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

DJExile posted:

MY NAME TOOF THE MARTY. I GIVE YOU $USD FOR CAMERA BUT NEED BANK ACCT PLEASE NUMBER. WILL SEND EXTRA MONIES $USD YOU KEEP 10% THANK YO UGOD BLESS.

HI TOOF, HOW IS YOUR DEAD UNCLE WHO IS THE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA BANK NIGERIA?

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

This is a bit of a long shot, and I fear I know the answer, but is it possible to filter out certain photos on Flickr based on keyword?

I really hate the amount of poo poo HDR on that site and, if I were able to filter it out, it'd make my Flickr 'experience' a lot better.

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie

moron posted:

This is a bit of a long shot, and I fear I know the answer, but is it possible to filter out certain photos on Flickr based on keyword?

I really hate the amount of poo poo HDR on that site and, if I were able to filter it out, it'd make my Flickr 'experience' a lot better.

Just add -hdr or whatever somewhere the search, it will filter out anything immediately after the -

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Cross_ posted:

Oh Craigslist :allears:

My buddy actually got a free* 5D and one of the longer L lenses when he joined me to check out a Craigslist ad.

I was there buying about a hundred bucks worth of P/K and M42 stuff (two bodies, eight lenses, fifty rolls of film - it ruled.) After I paid for that stuff, I saw the seller's 5D sitting on the bookshelf and said "Hey, a 5D? Nice." She told us the tale of how she'd been shooting seascapes with it when a big wave knocked her into the ocean, so now it was pretty much a paperweight that would be too expensive to get repaired. Then she just gave us the salty, gritty thing for the hell of it.

The body seems pretty well hosed, the lens still works in manual. Makes a horrible grinding sound from all the sand inside the barrel, but my buddy has managed to get some use out of it and the glass is pretty much fine.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

caberham posted:

Oops.

quote:

RETRACTION

On Saturday, November 20, 2010 the Kuwait Times published an article titled 'Multi ministry camera ban frustrates artists' in which incorrect information was provided. The newspaper regrets failing to verify the information. The article wrongly stated that a ban on DSLR cameras was implemented by the Ministries of Information, Social Affairs and Finance. This information is false. In a follow up investigation, it was proved that no such ban has been issued. We regret this error and deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Nice work, Kuwait Times.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Gendo posted:

Nice work, Kuwait Times.

I guess that explains why everyone quoted in the article seem so damned confused about it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

*does D200 green button reset* To buddy: "Hey ha ha it would be funny if I reset this thing but I forgot to change some stupid setting and all my photos come out looking like poo poo, huh? :haw: "

*walks around Toronto, shoots photos for 4 hours without once looking at the LCD*

*remembers on the train ride home that his D200 incorrectly meters +2/3EV with his Sigma 30 1.4 and green button reset the custom -0.7EV adjustment* :suicide:

I chimped them now and literally every photo has some mild to moderate blowout. I am so ridiculously upset with myself right now. Why didn't I look at the motherfucking LCD at least once today?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 28, 2010

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Martytoof posted:

*does D200 green button reset* To buddy: "Hey ha ha it would be funny if I reset this thing but I forgot to change some stupid setting and all my photos come out looking like poo poo, huh? :haw: "

*walks around Toronto, shoots photos for 4 hours without once looking at the LCD*

*remembers on the train ride home that his D200 incorrectly meters +2/3EV with his Sigma 30 1.4* :suicide:

I chimped them now and literally every photo has some mild to moderate blowout. I am so ridiculously upset with myself right now. Why didn't I look at the motherfucking LCD at least once today?

I look at my LCD after every single shot unless I'm trying to get action shots and I don't have time to check in between shots. Going an entire afternoon without ever looking blows my mind. I can't imagine ever being that confident, but I'm still a huge newbie so maybe that comes with experience.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, normally I'm like that too. I have no idea why I felt so confident today.

Needless to say I turned image review back on. gently caress battery life. Getting 100 usable shots is better than getting 200 overexposed photos.

I might turn image review back off, but just try to remember to hit playback after the first few shots of changing settings. Goddamn.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Image review is a funny thing.. whenever I shut it off, I miss having it on, and whenever it's on, I curse at the camera for not hurrying up and putting the exposure settings back up.

I think the only reasonable solution is a camera with two screens!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

xzzy posted:

Image review is a funny thing.. whenever I shut it off, I miss having it on, and whenever it's on, I curse at the camera for not hurrying up and putting the exposure settings back up.

I think the only reasonable solution is a camera with two screens!

Or a camera with an LCD on top, like god intended :3:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Martytoof posted:

*remembers on the train ride home that his D200 incorrectly meters +2/3EV with his Sigma 30 1.4 and green button reset the custom -0.7EV adjustment* :suicide:

Why the hell does it do that?

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Martytoof posted:

This is the reason why the green resets on Nikons are almost never a good idea. Just change what you want to change manually, it's not that hard.

Edit:

spog posted:

Why the hell does it do that?

It's trying to be helpful. Ken Rockwell explains:

Ken Rockwell posted:

I reset everything every time I use my camera, much as a pilot uses a checklist before flight to prevent any switches from being in the wrong position. When I don't check first, I often have left my D200 in some screwy mode from shooting in the dark the night before.

Nikon has an easy reset feature. I use it every time! My standard operating setting only is one click different than the defaults, and that's only because I use one trick I'll explain in the menus to improve image file size.

RESET: Find the * QUAL and +/- * buttons on the top of the camera. Hold them both down for a few seconds. The top LCD blinks and everything is back to normal.

I do this every time I use my D200. If I forget, I may have the resolution or White Balance or ISO or God knows what set to something screwy and spoil all my shots. I'll see WB problems on the LCD, but I won't notice if I left my D200 at ISO 1,600 from the night before. That's why I always use reset.

Reset leaves the detailed menu tweaks alone and is smart enough to reset only the big dumb things I might have moved overnight.

Except he's stupid because it obviously affects settings, including IQ options (it resets RAW back to JPEG and ISO back to Auto ISO), and it messes with custom functions. Long story short, Ken Rockwell should be avoided.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 28, 2010

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Ugh, the goon photos in the Gran Turismo 5 thread... out of focus, excessive motion blur, selective coloring etc etc... :ughh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mannequin posted:

This is the reason why the green resets on Nikons are almost never a good idea. Just change what you want to change manually, it's not that hard.

I'm just now coming around to this realization. I mean I don't even know why I did the reset. Probably cause I'd been playing with the menus a day ago and wanted to be sure I reset everything I might have played around with.

OH I RESET EVERYTHING ALLRIGHT <:mad:>

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ringo R posted:

Ugh, the goon photos in the Gran Turismo 5 thread... out of focus, excessive motion blur, selective coloring etc etc... :ughh:

The image in question

Still a nice looking game :toot:

I light fires
May 12, 2001
To be fair to that particular photo the guy did break his ds3 controller only a few days ago and that was done entirely with the wheel and pedal set up.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
The car looks horrendously out-of-focus :v:

So how did you guys get into photography anyway? I bought my XT a year ago on a whim from a goon (UGAmazing, to be exact) and didn't do anything with it for four months until I picked it up randomly one day and went shooting. Then I started reading up on shutter speed/aperture/ISO, and from there it quickly became into this obsession I have today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

moron posted:

Not as far as I'm aware. I'd love to see a part II though....the first part was fascinating.

I'm definitely going to try my hand at it this week. It'll almost certainly look absolutely terrible, but it'll be interesting none the less.

Good News - I'm not as insane anymore.
Bad News - I never got around to posting a Part II
Good News - I plan to
Bad News - I have too many projects going on right now to do so

Does anyone know of a screen recording program for OS X (10.5), that will give me decent quality video, yet will run in the background without affecting Photoshop performance too much? I hate writing, but I'd be willing to record my process, edit it down, and post it. I just have to figure out how to do it without hindering my ability to get the photo done on time.