Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there a name for what happens when you are doing one thing but talking about another and accidentally include parts of what you're doing in the conversation?

Example: I was talking to my girlfriend about not taking a certain medicine whilst making a cheese toastie, I ended up warning her about not taking Gruyère unless she really needed to.

I'm aware of Freudian slips, but I didn't know if this was the same thing because I've only ever heard of a Freudian slip being when someone unwittingly voices their unconscious desires. As far as I'm aware I wasn't subconsciously trying to keep her away from my food. So does this bleed-over of thoughts fall under the definition of Freudian slip? Or is there another name for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

^^^Distraction due to multitasking, which people are much worse at then they think.

Why do so many people vocalize when sneezing, particularly women*? Is this an American thing only? I see no reason to engage the vocal chords when sneezing; it makes the sneezing louder and more obnoxious, but it doesn't seem to be the kind of activity one would want to draw attention to.

*Probably chauvinistic confirmation bias, but I dated a series of girls that seemed to think that they should make some ridiculous squeak noise when sneezing. A female coworker hells out in a high pitch voice when sneezing and it sounds painful. Thankfully, my wife just sneezes normally.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

kapalama posted:

Sorry about losing stuff, but that is a hilariously bizarre way of looking at it.

You leave possessions behind in a place where you have signed a release stating that left items will be disposed of, and you call it 'stealing'? There is a reason why people who travel always put everything in the car, and do a walkthrough.

When you clean hotel rooms, the last thing you want is other people's used clothing. Used clothing just gets thrown out, because playing with other people's semen stained clothes is just disgusting. You simply think of left clothing as one more thing to be thrown out. Of course the cleaning staff did not find it, any more than they would have found your used tissues in the trach can.
The cleaning staff claimed there was nothing there, so somebody stole them or lied about disposing of them.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

The Aphasian posted:

Why do so many people vocalize when sneezing, particularly women*? Is this an American thing only? I see no reason to engage the vocal chords when sneezing; it makes the sneezing louder and more obnoxious, but it doesn't seem to be the kind of activity one would want to draw attention to.

*Probably chauvinistic confirmation bias, but I dated a series of girls that seemed to think that they should make some ridiculous squeak noise when sneezing. A female coworker hells out in a high pitch voice when sneezing and it sounds painful. Thankfully, my wife just sneezes normally.
Pretty much everyone sounds different sneezing, and with almost all people the noise that comes out is uncontrollable. Whether or not women are louder, I don't know, maybe, but it's almost certainly not intentional.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

The Aphasian posted:

Personally, when I'm in private, I make a very loud AAHH CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when I sneeze, simply because sneezing feels good and screaming whilst doing so makes it feel even better.

e: Oh, and it makes friends laugh when you over-dramatize sneezes.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I intentionally try to make weird noises when I sneeze as I find it humorous. If my cat is around I'll try to be loud as possible to scare him. The force is probably different for each person though, even trying not to use my vocal cords I don't think I can sneeze very quietly.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

One of my friends looks like Michael Cera and I want to create a gif image of his face transitioning into Cera's. I have Photoshop suite and can achieve exactly what I want by changing the transparency settings, but I don't ever make gif images, so I'm pretty oblivious on this topic. What's the best route to take to do this?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
DO you just want to get to the end result or do you want to learn how to do it?

If the former: http://www.facemorpher.com/download.html (lite version)

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

The former will work just fine - That program seems to error out when I install and try to open it. I'll give it a try when I'm not on my work computer (Server 2008) as I suspect that could be the problem.

\/ Yeah true (Hyper-V in my case) - but unfortunately I only have VMs with a variation of Server as the OS. v:shobon:v

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 24, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
That's what virtualbox is for! ;)

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

DO you just want to get to the end result or do you want to learn how to do it?

If the former: http://www.facemorpher.com/download.html (lite version)

Jeffrey Colon posted:

The former will work just fine - That program seems to error out when I install and try to open it. I'll give it a try when I'm not on my work computer (Server 2008) as I suspect that could be the problem.

I've used this on a Mac; it was intuitive and I was pleased with the results; there appears to be a win version:
http://www.morpheussoftware.net/?gclid=CPTureKluqUCFYLd4AodxhqBZA

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

This works great. Thanks!

favoritehello
Sep 17, 2010

BorderPatrol posted:

You didn't mention your OS, but if you're on Windows 7 you can follow these steps.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention I have Windows 7. Thank you very much for the link, much appreciated.

On the sneezing topic, I'm a female and I find depending on the situation, I will sneeze quietly, normally, or just squeeky.
In classrooms, when trying to minimize my sneeze, it comes out in a higher pitched squeek noise. I try to make it non-existent completely but can't help it. When I'm alone or with people I'm comfortable with, I will let it all out and sneeze normally (sometimes a brief quick ah-choo, other times a bit louder and stronger).

I once knew a girl that would sneeze five times in a row when she sneezed and they would sound like 5 short squeeks. It was so bizarre. I really don't think she would do it purposely to draw attention to herself since it happened more than one occasion and she was made fun of it by her co-workers.

So my guess as to why females tend to sneeze louder and more vocally on average is because they maybe try to keep them in while men don't give a crap and sneeze normally, despite the circumstances and not wanting to disrupt those around them? I personally don't think gender has much to do with it as it probably just varies person to person.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Does anyone know where I can get beer glassware in Australia? Specifically Kwak glasses (also the cool-looking Kwak Quattro).

kalonji
Feb 28, 2010
Have! It's `could have' not `could of', dipshit
I'm looking for this website that I remember viewing some time ago, it allowed owners of various cars to list what mileage their cars had problems at/general repair info for many models, it was very comprehensive and i'm in the market for a new vehicle but can't seem to find it.

My googlefu is weak help goons!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

favoritehello posted:

I once knew a girl that would sneeze five times in a row when she sneezed and they would sound like 5 short squeeks. It was so bizarre. I really don't think she would do it purposely to draw attention to herself since it happened more than one occasion and she was made fun of it by her co-workers.

I'm a guy, but I do the multiple sneezing thing. 3 sneeze minimum when I do sneeze.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

I got a pair of glasses about 10 days ago, first pair. Generally wear them all throughout my 9-hour workday, but not at home.

When I take them off, I've got these extremely-noticeable red marks where the... plastic nose-resting-things sit (my eloquence with English astounds even me, sometimes); will these ever fade, or is it indicative of the glasses sitting too.. tight?

Not really sure if what I'm asking makes that much sense.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Travakian posted:

When I take them off, I've got these extremely-noticeable red marks where the... plastic nose-resting-things sit (my eloquence with English astounds even me, sometimes); will these ever fade, or is it indicative of the glasses sitting too.. tight?

Yes, too tight (rarely too loose and they slide down, get pushed up, repeat x50). Get them re-adjusted or get used to it if you like it that tight.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

kapalama posted:

Sorry about losing stuff, but that is a hilariously bizarre way of looking at it.

You leave possessions behind in a place where you have signed a release stating that left items will be disposed of, and you call it 'stealing'? There is a reason why people who travel always put everything in the car, and do a walkthrough.

When you clean hotel rooms, the last thing you want is other people's used clothing. Used clothing just gets thrown out, because playing with other people's semen stained clothes is just disgusting. You simply think of left clothing as one more thing to be thrown out. Of course the cleaning staff did not find it, any more than they would have found your used tissues in the trach can.

Then they could admit they found them and threw them away. So they're either thieves, or liars. Still not coming out good for them. I'd be fine with knowing if they threw them away, but they don't acknowledge they even found them.

Also, they were new dresses still wrapped in plastic and stored in the closet, so I guess I store my jizz rags very fancily.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is there a term for the 'orchestral plucked string sound' TV shows have lately been using as a Laugh Track of sorts?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

kapalama posted:

Is there a term for the 'orchestral plucked string sound' TV shows have lately been using as a Laugh Track of sorts?

"Music sting" usually, and on a related note, the thing cartoons and some comedies do of having music kind of "narrate" a character's movements (like a chord for each step he takes or something) is called "Mickey Mousing."

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

kapalama posted:

I don't know about the laugh track part, but plucked string technique is called pizzacato:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM7Hxrbf5nw

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to play an entire YouTube playlist in full screen mode without it reverting back to normal in between videos?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Slashie posted:

"Music sting" usually, and on a related note, the thing cartoons and some comedies do of having music kind of "narrate" a character's movements (like a chord for each step he takes or something) is called "Mickey Mousing."

Thanks!

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Is there a polite way to tell my roommate, "Your indoor smoking is making the entire apartment smell like an ashtray?"

I'm the new guy in the place, and I've already asked him to at least close his door and open his window when he smokes in his room, which he did for all of a day. I don't want to nag, and moving out's not much of an option right now, but I'm tired of going out wearing clean clothes that make me smell like a chain smoker.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KittenofDoom posted:

Is there a polite way to tell my roommate, "Your indoor smoking is making the entire apartment smell like an ashtray?"

I'm the new guy in the place, and I've already asked him to at least close his door and open his window when he smokes in his room, which he did for all of a day. I don't want to nag, and moving out's not much of an option right now, but I'm tired of going out wearing clean clothes that make me smell like a chain smoker.

Unless he's hanging by the windowsill, blowing smoke straight out the screen, and keeping a wet towel under the door while using air fresheners, your place is going to stink a bit. Nature of the beast.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
This is gonna be tough: I'm looking for a painting. All the info below was told to me by a desperate mother who loved this painting/print and when she finally went to buy it, it was gone.

1) The name of the company that sells the painting is like Art Affects or Art effects or any combination with a dash in between the words. It's possible that is just the framing company.(sp?)
2) It is a painting of around 4+ sheep in a field, with kind of muted dark warm colors, similar to mahogany. She says she thinks it was near dusk. Had a primitive look or style to it.
3) It was seen in a place called Tanner's Orchard, in Illinois. It's a little farm/orchard that sells apples and other homemade stuff, very midwestern like.
4) It's probably "commercial art" if that narrows it down at all.

$20 if you can track that sucker down

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 27, 2010

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
I got a ticket last week Thursday for a bad headlight. I got it fixed, got it signed, and just have to get it to the courthouse by Sunday, which is 10 days after I received the ticket. Unfortunately, the courthouse is closed right now and, according to the hours posted on their door, is only open Mon-Fri. What am I supposed to do with the ticket and how will I not have to pay a big stupid fine? :<

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Jesus H. Christ posted:

I got a ticket last week Thursday for a bad headlight. I got it fixed, got it signed, and just have to get it to the courthouse by Sunday, which is 10 days after I received the ticket. Unfortunately, the courthouse is closed right now and, according to the hours posted on their door, is only open Mon-Fri. What am I supposed to do with the ticket and how will I not have to pay a big stupid fine? :<

Knowing that yesterday was Thanksgiving and the courts were going to be closed for two days, plus the weekend, you should have taken care of it before now.

That being said, you'll more than likely be fine taking it in on Monday.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Loopyface posted:

Knowing that yesterday was Thanksgiving and the courts were going to be closed for two days, plus the weekend, you should have taken care of it before now.

That being said, you'll more than likely be fine taking it in on Monday.

Is it 10 days or 10 business days? Can you mail it to the courthouse, and they'll take the post-mark date as the "arrival" day?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anyone know any good free software for recording VOIP conversations? I'm doing a telephone interview and I'd like to do it over Skype and make a recording instead of trying to take notes while I talk.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Is there a Tagging program for DIVX .avi files? (for mac?) All I really need is something that strips the existing tag info out so that the file names will show in VLC.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

thehandtruck posted:

This is gonna be tough: I'm looking for a painting. All the info below was told to me by a desperate mother who loved this painting/print and when she finally went to buy it, it was gone.

1) The name of the company that sells the painting is like Art Affects or Art effects or any combination with a dash in between the words. It's possible that is just the framing company.(sp?)
2) It is a painting of around 4+ sheep in a field, with kind of muted dark warm colors, similar to mahogany. She says she thinks it was near dusk. Had a primitive look or style to it.
3) It was seen in a place called Tanner's Orchard, in Illinois. It's a little farm/orchard that sells apples and other homemade stuff, very midwestern like.
4) It's probably "commercial art" if that narrows it down at all.

$20 if you can track that sucker down
This one? Found on GIS, from The Daily Painter (already sold)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Is there some way to organize files by whether they have been accessed or not on Windows Vista? I tried sorting by Date Accessed with no results; they just lined up alphabetically. I'm willing to install third party software if necessary.

EDIT: Any advice on how to sort files by date accessed would also work.

The Easy Rider fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 27, 2010

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
Can someone give me a simple explanation of how balls/strikes work in Baseball?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

isoprenaline posted:

Can someone give me a simple explanation of how balls/strikes work in Baseball?

Not much of a baseball fan, but this one's easy. A pitcher is supposed to throw the baseball through the "strike zone", an invisible rectangle region where the batter could reasonably hit the ball. If the pitcher throws the ball outside this area - say too far away from the batter or too close to him or too high - and the batter sees this and declines to swing, it's a ball. If the baseball does pass through this region and the batter declines to swing, it's a strike. The umpire stands behind the plate to determine if the ball passes through the strike zone. If the batter swings and misses no matter where the baseball is, it's a strike.

3 strikes and the batter is out, 4 balls and the batter takes a walk and gets to 1st base for free (pushing any player who's already on 1st base to 2nd and so forth). Sometimes the pitcher will intentionally walk the batter and throw 4 balls to the catcher way to the side of the batting plate, usually if the batter is a very good player and there's a man on 3rd base who would score if the batter makes a hit.

Vestral
Dec 30, 2008
I'm trying to remember a website I found maybe a year ago. It was a site where people contributed their stories of how much it cost for a healthcare treatment, what the treatment was, and where they lived. It had people's personal stories from all around the world, from paying 500,000 for an operation, to people who paid $0 for a heart transplant. It wasn't politically minded, at least on the outside, it was a site to show stories from whoever contributed to it. I might not be explaining it well, but does anyone know the site I mean? I'm pretty sure I came across it here in a thread, possibly the thread had something to do with lovely healthcare in the US and to share stories to give anyone who read the site an idea what things could cost if they lived elsewhere.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I do remember, and I'm pretty sure it was goon-made too.

cassis
Oct 18, 2008

Vestral posted:

I'm trying to remember a website I found maybe a year ago. It was a site where people contributed their stories of how much it cost for a healthcare treatment, what the treatment was, and where they lived. It had people's personal stories from all around the world, from paying 500,000 for an operation, to people who paid $0 for a heart transplant. It wasn't politically minded, at least on the outside, it was a site to show stories from whoever contributed to it. I might not be explaining it well, but does anyone know the site I mean? I'm pretty sure I came across it here in a thread, possibly the thread had something to do with lovely healthcare in the US and to share stories to give anyone who read the site an idea what things could cost if they lived elsewhere.

http://www.pluralofanecdote.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
edit: wrong thread

El Kabong fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 27, 2010