Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Gorilla Radio posted:

Hugo 3: Jungle of Doom?

That's not it, sorry - my game is a lot older than that and C64 only as far as I know.

Appreciate the attempt though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

ponzicar posted:

That first game sounds like Urban Assault.

Well poo poo your right! Even better it's abandonware/shareware! I give it a go again.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Capsaicin posted:

What was that old freeware platformer with all the hats?
Could this be The Tall Stump? It's a flash game that won a competition a few years back - I wouldn't call it particularly old, but it definitely has a lot of hats.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Crazy Achmed posted:

Could this be The Tall Stump? It's a flash game that won a competition a few years back - I wouldn't call it particularly old, but it definitely has a lot of hats.

Yayyyyyyyy!

That's it. :3:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
There was an rpg I played in the early-to-mid 90's. It was a point and click style game, somewhat similar to King's Quest. The animation was also similar (from what I can remember).

Your character was a blond male, early 20's or late teens. He wore a dark red / brown tunic. You had the choice of picking Magician, Thief, or Warrior. It was standard fantasy setting.

I remember crawling around in attics, solving puzzles, and fighting Wraiths.

Bonus!! Round 2:

There was another game, similar to Might and Magic. First person view, graphics comparable to Hexen. 6 people in your party. I remember when I played I had a Lion man guy and a Lizard man guy on my team.

I couldn't find it on this list: http://www.mobygames.com/featured_article/feature,31/section,217/

I believe it had the word "Thunder" in the title.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

There was an rpg I played in the early-to-mid 90's. It was a point and click style game, somewhat similar to King's Quest. The animation was also similar (from what I can remember).

Your character was a blond male, early 20's or late teens. He wore a dark red / brown tunic. You had the choice of picking Magician, Thief, or Warrior. It was standard fantasy setting.

I remember crawling around in attics, solving puzzles, and fighting Wraiths.

Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory? Made by the Sierra people (KQ) and certainly fits your vague description.

Hal Incandenza fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 26, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory? Made by the Sierra people (KQ) and certainly fit's your vague description.

Bravo!

Quest for Glory IV - Shadows of Darkness was the specific one, it was much darker than the rest. Thanks!

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!
I remember downloading a bootleg copy of a game back around 2000 or 2001, it was a action/not-quite-rpg, 3/4th overhead view. Graphics were decent for the time but not realistic 3D, more like 3D sprites.

From what I recall, you had crash landed on a planet - I believe you were on a prison ship but I can't remember if you're a guard or not - and it was a huge city to explore. The major selling point was that while you were going around doing your thing, the NPCs were doing their own thing - you could follow random people on the street around and they'd go from shop to shop or house to house and do whatever. The world went on around you even if you weren't interacting with it.

I think it was developed by an Australian company but I could be wrong.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

cmndstab posted:

This is Traffic Department 2192, which is actually very much worth a playthrough because it's got fantastic (though occasionally cheesy) dialogue. I even did an LP of it like four years ago (it's in the LP archives though the page is a bit busted so many of the screenshots appear twice in a row), and ran a typically ill-fated attempt to get goons to voice act it.

Also, your recollection of events is slightly wrong - the capturing by the evil faction occurs before the helicopter blows up, which only occurs later on once you're back with the good guys.

drat, that was fast. Much appreciated. Can't say I'm surprised I didn't remember the order of events properly, I think I was eight years old when I played it.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Here's a difficult one that's been bothering me for a few weeks now.

There was an RTS-type game back when 3D games were just starting to show up. There were three alien races colored red, green and blue. They were fairly insectoid looking but the models were not very complex. Fairly simple triangular shapes. From the screenshots I remember the camera was down at ground level watching the action.

The only other thing I remember clearly was a single unit that looked like a Zoanthrope and was called a Mindflayer (Red aliens)

I think the title was something like Natural Selection, Evolution, or something like that.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Travic posted:

There was an RTS-type game back when 3D games were just starting to show up. There were three alien races colored red, green and blue. They were fairly insectoid looking but the models were not very complex. Fairly simple triangular shapes. From the screenshots I remember the camera was down at ground level watching the action.

The only other thing I remember clearly was a single unit that looked like a Zoanthrope and was called a Mindflayer (Red aliens)

I think the title was something like Natural Selection, Evolution, or something like that.

Dominant Species?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Travic posted:

There's Half-Life mod Natural Selection. Has Overhead RTS elements for the commander class or whatever, but only one race of aliens. The rest of the players do it in FPS style while I think the commander points out targets and guides you on a tactical level.

Fun mod, but I joined in late and couldn't learn quick enough without eating a face of lead or getting eaten by aliens constantly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Travic posted:

Not an RTS but it sounds like Evolva.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Flannelette posted:

It wasn't Egyptian not Roman by any chance, there's a game like that.

No, I'm 100% sure on that bit.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I played a game demo that came with an issue of the UK PC Gamer around say 1999/2000 or before then. It was sort of like an Elite style game (fly around in a vehicle trading stuff or shooting stuff) except you were in a flying car of some sort, and (at least the demo portion) was set in some futuristic wasteland city. There might have been lightning you had to avoid too.

The intro to the game was some guy in a dark room smoking and talking about how he used to have a dog, but he shot it when it bit him. It was kind of irrelevant to the game come to think about it.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Kotaru posted:

No, I'm 100% sure on that bit.

The only one that I can think of was a cancelled game called Imperator that was a MMORPG
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/imperator/screenshots.html

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

I Said No posted:

I played a game demo that came with an issue of the UK PC Gamer around say 1999/2000 or before then. It was sort of like an Elite style game (fly around in a vehicle trading stuff or shooting stuff) except you were in a flying car of some sort, and (at least the demo portion) was set in some futuristic wasteland city. There might have been lightning you had to avoid too.

The intro to the game was some guy in a dark room smoking and talking about how he used to have a dog, but he shot it when it bit him. It was kind of irrelevant to the game come to think about it.

Hardwar. Intro video.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Saint Septimus posted:

Hardwar. Intro video.

That's the one, thanks!

Cinematic
Feb 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

pud posted:

This might be Metal Marines.
- from the last page

ah, I was gone the last couples days so I couldn't see the post before now...

but nope, the game I'm looking for isn't metal marines. It has better graphics, its definitely a sega genesis/saturn game. It had a more of a top down view instead of that 3/4 isometric view. All I really remember is the base going into "SOS" mode whenever you were attacked. You could fly around as a jet and then turn into a mech whenever you wanted. I think you could also play with 2 people.

Man, this has been dogging me lately. Thanks for any help, fellas!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Cinematic posted:

- from the last page

ah, I was gone the last couples days so I couldn't see the post before now...

but nope, the game I'm looking for isn't metal marines. It has better graphics, its definitely a sega genesis/saturn game. It had a more of a top down view instead of that 3/4 isometric view. All I really remember is the base going into "SOS" mode whenever you were attacked. You could fly around as a jet and then turn into a mech whenever you wanted. I think you could also play with 2 people.

Man, this has been dogging me lately. Thanks for any help, fellas!

You've just described everything about this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EO53h7nWEU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Bonus!! Round 2:

There was another game, similar to Might and Magic. First person view, graphics comparable to Hexen. 6 people in your party. I remember when I played I had a Lion man guy and a Lizard man guy on my team.

I couldn't find it on this list: http://www.mobygames.com/featured_article/feature,31/section,217/

I believe it had the word "Thunder" in the title.

This might well be World of Aden: Thunderscape

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/world-of-aden-thunderscape

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Okay, reposting from like a year ago.

I had a game on one of those 1001 games on two cds things. It was just called "Amiga". It absolutely looked like a pre-NES game.

The screen was full of different shaped blocks. You controlled a snake, and you started at the top. You push down, and you would go down until you hit a block. Then you could turn. The goal was to get to a green block somewhere on the map. All the rest of the blocks were orange-ish red.

Searching for "Amiga game" doesn't work, obviously. Anyone have any idea where I could find it?

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

Capsaicin posted:

The screen was full of different shaped blocks. You controlled a snake, and you started at the top. You push down, and you would go down until you hit a block. Then you could turn. The goal was to get to a green block somewhere on the map. All the rest of the blocks were orange-ish red.

Does it have to be that exact game? There's a number of games out there with that same "continue until you hit something" puzzle mechanic. For example:
Road Blocks 1
Road Blocks 2
Excit

Kalluxe
Feb 6, 2003

Officer ROB is on patrol!
I'm trying to find a PC game from maybe 7 or more years ago (I think?) that was ostensibly supposed to be some sort of treatment program for ADD, ADHD, or other mental disorder, but was interesting in its own right. It was a bit like Jumping Flash for the PS, in that you would try to ascend from platform to platform, eventually making it to a goal. It was rather abstract. Any ideas?

(yes, posted to another 'help me find' thread as well)

BaronOvHell
Nov 20, 2010
I have two different Quake2 mods in mind that I can't think of the name for...

One was a CTF variant, not Threewave, but it did have a grappling hook. There were numerous ugly skins and gigantic maps.

The second was team deathmatch but with weapons you had to "control" so your team could use them. i.e. if you stood on a rocket launcher for 10 seconds it would turn the color of your team and all team members would have it instantly. I was in a clan with one of the devs, it was a lot of fun.

One Space Jump
Oct 18, 2005
Rupture-er of Spleens
I have a game I can't remember that has been bugging me for years. It was on the SNES (pretty sure). If I remember correctly, the game was a ninja-themed RPG, where the battles were side-scrolling action sequences where you walk around and punch the monsters. I believe there was a world map. It also supported 2-players. I can't remember much about it other than that.

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

BaronOvHell posted:

One was a CTF variant, not Threewave, but it did have a grappling hook. There were numerous ugly skins and gigantic maps.

I don't remember the skins or maps too well, but Loki's Minions Capture The Flag (LMCTF) was a Q2 CTF mod with a grappling hook. I think it had a cops vs. convicts theme.

BaronOvHell
Nov 20, 2010

Erasmus Darwin posted:

I don't remember the skins or maps too well, but Loki's Minions Capture The Flag (LMCTF) was a Q2 CTF mod with a grappling hook. I think it had a cops vs. convicts theme.

Yes! Thank you

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

One Space Jump posted:

I have a game I can't remember that has been bugging me for years. It was on the SNES (pretty sure). If I remember correctly, the game was a ninja-themed RPG, where the battles were side-scrolling action sequences where you walk around and punch the monsters. I believe there was a world map. It also supported 2-players. I can't remember much about it other than that.

This is Super Ninja Boy, I believe.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Ray Mears Bushcraft posted:

You know what, aside from that info bar thing, I would have said the game you're talking about was Assault Trooper. There's some dude playing it on YouTube here.

Yes! Assault Trooper, thanks

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm trying to find the name of an educational game from the 90s (around the time Windows 95 was big). You play as an alien kid who is wandering through a haunted house, solving math-related puzzles and mini-games. I can't for the life of me remember the name. I had it around the same time the game series Dr. Brain was around.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Dirty Job posted:

I'm trying to find the name of an educational game from the 90s (around the time Windows 95 was big). You play as an alien kid who is wandering through a haunted house, solving math-related puzzles and mini-games. I can't for the life of me remember the name. I had it around the same time the game series Dr. Brain was around.

Math Blaster: Pre Algebra. loving loved that game.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

That Awful Nick posted:

Math Blaster: Pre Algebra. loving loved that game.

There was also "MATH MANSION".

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I'm looking for what I have to assume is a terrible shooter for the PS2 which had a giant monster somewhere on the box (I think in a screenshot).

I was in gamestop with a friend a few years back and we came across a box for a game we had both never heard of in the bargain bin. I just seem to recall there being a huge monster in one of the screenshots. We just assumed it was terrible since it was in the bargain bin and had such a generic name, however, I recently found myself wondering how awful it actually was and wanted to see if I could track down some gameplay footage of said monster.

Of course I can't find it anymore since I don't have a name for the game, and I tried looking through the list of shooters for PS2 on GameFAQs and couldn't find anything that seemed right.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Superrodan posted:

I'm looking for what I have to assume is a terrible shooter for the PS2 which had a giant monster somewhere on the box (I think in a screenshot).

I was in gamestop with a friend a few years back and we came across a box for a game we had both never heard of in the bargain bin. I just seem to recall there being a huge monster in one of the screenshots. We just assumed it was terrible since it was in the bargain bin and had such a generic name, however, I recently found myself wondering how awful it actually was and wanted to see if I could track down some gameplay footage of said monster.

Of course I can't find it anymore since I don't have a name for the game, and I tried looking through the list of shooters for PS2 on GameFAQs and couldn't find anything that seemed right.

Just a guess, but Global Defence Force is a PS2 shooter that has a generic name and giant monsters. And also the (arguably superior) predecessor to the popular Earth Defense Force for 360.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Just a guess, but Global Defence Force is a PS2 shooter that has a generic name and giant monsters. And also the (arguably superior) predecessor to the popular Earth Defense Force for 360.

That didn't seem to be it. I seem to recall the box being dark, probably mostly black, and I don't remember there being much of a recognizable art style to it (so no anime-esque characters). It's hard to describe the box and title as anything more than generic, because neither of us remembers it.

The monster I remember walked on two legs and I seem to recall it was very very large. Probably not Shadow of the Colossus size, but still big enough that it caught us off guard. "Whoa, that monster is huge, how come we've never heard of an FPS dealing with enemies that size?"

Thanks, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Superrodan posted:

That didn't seem to be it. I seem to recall the box being dark, probably mostly black, and I don't remember there being much of a recognizable art style to it (so no anime-esque characters). It's hard to describe the box and title as anything more than generic, because neither of us remembers it.

The monster I remember walked on two legs and I seem to recall it was very very large. Probably not Shadow of the Colossus size, but still big enough that it caught us off guard. "Whoa, that monster is huge, how come we've never heard of an FPS dealing with enemies that size?"

Thanks, though.

Painkiller: Hell Wars was released on the PS2 in Europe and it's the only game I can think of that matches your description. Screenshot of the Xbox version box art which was released in America. All the bosses in Painkiller are super huge. Other than Painkiller, there's literally only one supernatural first person shooter on the PS2 that I can think of and that's Darkwatch.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kalluxe posted:

I'm trying to find a PC game from maybe 7 or more years ago (I think?) that was ostensibly supposed to be some sort of treatment program for ADD, ADHD, or other mental disorder, but was interesting in its own right. It was a bit like Jumping Flash for the PS, in that you would try to ascend from platform to platform, eventually making it to a goal. It was rather abstract. Any ideas?

(yes, posted to another 'help me find' thread as well)

Alpha Waves AKA Continuum I'm guessing, it's much older than 7 years though.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Capsaicin posted:

What was that old freeware platformer with all the hats?

Glum Buster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Superrodan posted:

Thanks, though.

Sounds like Ghost Hunter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsvRqDl2R5w

• Locked thread