Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Chilly McFreeze posted:

She was the worst.

At what? She was at at least in the middle of the pack in-ring, probably better than that. She was a little stiff on the mic, but still in the middle of the pack since Aksana, AJ, et al are so awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

reality_groove posted:

If I remember correctly didn't they lose that subtlty soon after by having Chyna catch Eddie in the shower with some hos or something?

The only other recent turn I can think of is Jericho's heel turn against HBK in 2008 which was pretty much justified based on Michaels' past.

My question is this, Dean Malenko's real name is Dean Simon so I'm guessing that the Simon Dean gimmick is a play on his name. Are there any other gimmick names that are ribs or riffs on wrestlers' real names?

Ken Anderson was told he couldn't use his real name in the WWE bc fans might think he was related to Ole and Arn, so he used Kennedy - Vince's middle name

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

reality_groove posted:

My question is this, Dean Malenko's real name is Dean Simon so I'm guessing that the Simon Dean gimmick is a play on his name. Are there any other gimmick names that are ribs or riffs on wrestlers' real names?

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

reality_groove posted:

When Colt Cabana(real name Scott Colton) jobbed on WWE TV, he did so under the name Chris Guy.

When Ace Steel(real name Chris Guy)) jobbed on WWE TV, he did so under the name Scott Colton.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

apsouthern posted:

Can't find any better pictures of him :(

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

When Colt Cabana(real name Scott Colton) jobbed on WWE TV, he did so under the name Chris Guy.

When Ace Steel(real name Chris Guy)) jobbed on WWE TV, he did so under the name Scott Colton.

This is brilliant, didn't know that. Should be noted that Steel trained Colt and Punk.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is brilliant, didn't know that. Should be noted that Steel trained Colt and Punk.

Tracy Smothers has a nice one.

Tracy Smothers Wikipedia Page posted:

Before SMW folded in late 1995, Smothers began wrestling in the summer of that year as Freddie Joe Floyd in the WWF as a babyface jobber to various up and comers, most notably Hunter Hearst-Helmsley and Stone Cold Steve Austin. His only meaningful win under the Floyd gimmick was an upset of Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw in his debut, which resulted in Bradshaw beating Floyd in a subsequent rematch. He also scored a count out win over Triple H, thanks to Mr. Perfect distracting Helmsley. His entire gimmick was a rib on Gerald Brisco and Jack Brisco, as they both came from Bowlegs, Oklahoma (the same home town Freddie Joe Floyd was billed as being from). Jack Brisco’s real name is Fred Joe Brisco, and Gerald’s full name is Floyd Gerald Brisco.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
You know, given the deluge of 2nd and 3rd Generation Wrestlers that WWE has been pushing why in the hell aren't Joe Hennig and Dos Caras Jr. currently billed with names that actually promote their lineage?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shiki Dan posted:

You know, given the deluge of 2nd and 3rd Generation Wrestlers that WWE has been pushing why in the hell aren't Joe Hennig and Dos Caras Jr. currently billed with names that actually promote their lineage?

I would normally say that WWE wants to own them in name and make sure they can't go somewhere else and be well known as a WWE superstar but Cody Rhodes, Ted Dibiase and Randy Orton all cancel that theory out so I've never understood it either.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shiki Dan posted:

Dos Caras Jr. would mean nothing to US audiences and honestly not a ton to Mexican audiences. He was a star, but not a huge one. I imagine Joe Hennig had his changed due to Dolph Ziggler getting some Mr. Perfect elements in his gimmick.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

Dos Caras Jr. would mean nothing to US audiences and honestly not a ton to Mexican audiences. He was a star, but not a huge one.

However, the nephew of Mil Marscaras is another story.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bringing him in as Joe Hennig and having him all angry that Ziggler was basically imitating his dad would have made for an interesting feud that could have had some quality matches between the two. Ziggler could have lost the feud and got a much needed gimmick change.

Also - whats the story with the animals a few posts up? I see one has a CM Punk pepsi tattoo :psyboom:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Bringing him in as Joe Hennig and having him all angry that Ziggler was basically imitating his dad would have made for an interesting feud that could have had some quality matches between the two. Ziggler could have lost the feud and got a much needed gimmick change.

Also - whats the story with the animals a few posts up? I see one has a CM Punk pepsi tattoo :psyboom:
CM Punk no-showed some Chikara events he was booked for, so Chikara had a guy in a chipmunk costume replace him.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Endorph posted:

CM Punk no-showed some Chikara events he was booked for, so Chikara had a guy in a chipmunk costume replace him.

I think that turned out to be Necro Butcher.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

Don't forget the names: CP Munk and Colt Cabunny

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The Ziggler thing is so subtle I doubt most fans have picked up on it - heck, I barely noticed it beyond the bleached hair and smug grin.

I can see two very good reasons why they wouldn't want Mike Muggillicitictutiy to use his dad's name:

1. He doesn't look like Mr Perfect, nor does he have that smug good-looking vibe going. Even if he did, that's mostly Cody Rhodes' gig these days (even though he's more Ravishing Rick Rude).

2. He's not perfect. Mr Perfect only worked as a gimmick because the guy was crisp as hell in the ring.

In other words, he couldn't pull off a Mr Perfect gimmick in any way, so why let him be a second-rate version of it? Why not let him be (in theory) a first-rate version of himself?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Has anyone kicked out of Miz's SCF?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

I think that turned out to be Necro Butcher.

Necro only played CM Punk at the Tag World GP when he took off the head then knocked out some ROH students.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Has anyone kicked out of Miz's SCF?
I think Bryan kicked out of it at one point.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Burrito posted:

Don't forget the names: CP Munk and Colt Cabunny

Those are pretty great names.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Waht do you guys think are the greatest Ric Flair matches considering I'm far too young to have seen him in his prime and probably have forgotten anything good he did in WCW for the same reason?
I'm in a stylin' and profilin' mood after watching his WWE farewell which I hadn't seen until yesterday. It was wow, very touching, especially since Flair has always struck me as the type of guy who'll do just about anything for his love of his craft.

I also have a huge gap in wrestling from about the end of 2001 to the end of 2008 because I stupidly got distracted by puberty, so what are some WWE PPV's of notice that are worth catching up on?
Come to think of it, I did see quite a few from I think 2007 - 2008 when I was catching up and for the most part I remember these being forgettable, the only thing I really remember as a stand out was the Vince McMahon and Bobby Lashley feud.
Any PPV's that conatin important moments for membersof the current roster would be good too.

One more question hopefully those who know a bit more about the indy scene can answer. How the hell do indy wrestlers (particularly hardcore) afford medical treatment? I just can't fathom how guys who are damaging their body constantly and getting paid peanuts for doing so could afford to get the treatment necessary to keep commpeting, hell the health care system is light years ahead of the US in affordability in Australia and even then you can still get some nasty financial surpises for a person on an average income when it comes to meddical treatment and in most of the accounts I've heard it sounds like most of the time just making it to the next show and eating is enough of a struggle.

I know this is a pretty odd question, but quite honestly it's something that baffles me and has for quite some time.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 26, 2010

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Falir/Edge, TLC from Raw some years back. This can't be missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdsZJacfji0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZEOCvnuwFw&feature=related

His most emotional match, though, if not even technically good, would have to be his match with Sting on the final WCW Nitro. Yes, even more than his "final" match with Shawn Michaels, which was a much better match. I can't find either on Youtube at the moment.

Tim Takdon
Apr 14, 2010

by Ozma

WeaselWeaz posted:

These are two completely different things. In WCW he was a midcard comedy act, in his last WWE heel run he was a main/semi-main event level self-righteous heel. It's like saying that Caddyshack is a better sports movie than Rudy. They're both about a sport but the differences in intent, genre, and everything else are huge.

caddyshack was a lot better than rudy, even if you view both movies as serious works of drama.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Several ECW guys were given names that were take-offs of NWA Promoters:

Stevie Richards - Steve Rickard
C.W. Anderson - Ole Anderson

Those are the two that I can remember, but I think there were at least 4 total guys and one of them was Mikey Whipwreck, but I can't remember who his name was from.

CW Anderson isn't a take-off, they were trying to claim he was an Anderson right down to his using Arn's throat-slash thing.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I would normally say that WWE wants to own them in name and make sure they can't go somewhere else and be well known as a WWE superstar but Cody Rhodes, Ted Dibiase and Randy Orton all cancel that theory out so I've never understood it either.

This, Vince changes his mind every week.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

CW Anderson isn't a take-off, they were trying to claim he was an Anderson right down to his using Arn's throat-slash thing.

The two ideas aren't mutually exclusive.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Captain Hats posted:

Honestly the thing I enjoyed most about the show was The Miz. He's just such a villain and it's delicious. He's smug, cocky, arrogant and douchey... and it's brilliant to watch. So I guess what I want is more exaggerated characters and back and forths between the wrestlers taunting each other.

I agree with you here, and tying in with that, I'd like to see WWE go back to letting guys give their own unscripted promo, rather than reading/memorizing lines that are written for them. That's what made some of the Attitude-era guys awesome, was they were basically given an idea, short and sweet ("hey, go out and talk for X minutes about this guy/match") and a lot of them came up with some brilliant stuff.

I loved it when Austin came in and started with the Stone Cold gimmick as a heel, feuding with Bret Hart. I loved how guys like Curt Hennig could be amazing in the ring but also cut a fantastic promo on someone. Even guys like Macho Man, Jake Roberts and Shawn Michaels (when he started fine tuning the HBK gimmick) were great talkers and had awesome in-ring performance. And when they were put against someone, they could make it believable and draw you into the feud and matches.

It at least looks like some of the WWE talent are starting to do that now, but a lot of the guys should really get some coaching with it and have someone who can give them that little extra push to bring their character out more. Guys like Paul Heyman and Jim Cornette were awesome with that, and even some of WWE's old creative guys and road agents used to be pretty good at helping too. You can't really expect someone to get excited about or be drawn to a match or feud unless both guys buy into it themselves and put their hearts into it.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Sue Denim posted:

Waht do you guys think are the greatest Ric Flair matches considering I'm far too young to have seen him in his prime and probably have forgotten anything good he did in WCW for the same reason?

Haven't seen much of his WCW stuff. I didn't start watching WCW until 98 but one WWF match I always liked was his loser leaves town match with Mr. Perfect that they had on the 3rd or 4th episode of RAW.

Sue Denim posted:

I also have a huge gap in wrestling from about the end of 2001 to the end of 2008 because I stupidly got distracted by puberty, so what are some WWE PPV's of notice that are worth catching up on?

I know you said end of 2001 but I just went 2001-2008 so yeah.

2001 Royal Rumble
WrestleMania X7 - Overall considered to be the best WrestleMania by many
2001 Invasion
2002 Survivor Series - First Elimination Chamber
2004 No Way Out - For Eddie Guererro/Brock Lesnar
2005 One Night Stand
2006 New Year's Revolution - First MITB cash in
2006 One Night Stand

You really can't go wrong with any Royal Rumble match, 2007 has a fantastic finish and 2008 a surprise!

Some WreslteMania matches worth checking out during the time period you're asking about would be:

WrestleMania 18 Rock vs. Hogan
WrestleMania 19 Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels
WrestleMania 20 HHH vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit
WrestleMania 21 Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels

Can't really go wrong with any of the Money in the Bank matches either for entertainment value.

I'm sure I missed a few PPVs that others will mention but that should give you a good start.

Trapjaw
Jan 30, 2005

Sup, Haddonfield?

Ozz81 posted:

It at least looks like some of the WWE talent are starting to do that now, but a lot of the guys should really get some coaching with it and have someone who can give them that little extra push to bring their character out more. Guys like Paul Heyman and Jim Cornette were awesome with that, and even some of WWE's old creative guys and road agents used to be pretty good at helping too. You can't really expect someone to get excited about or be drawn to a match or feud unless both guys buy into it themselves and put their hearts into it.

Thank you. They need to bring back the idea of the vocal manager who IS good on the mic to cut promos and help with some of these guys who have great in-ring talent but can't get a crowd behind them.

Then again, they also have needed a definitive and competitive tag division that people can give a gently caress about.

And let's unify all these loving belts already.

gently caress there's so much I don't like these days.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Bearnt! posted:

I know you said end of 2001 but I just went 2001-2008 so yeah.

WrestleMania X7 - Overall considered to be the best WrestleMania by many

No mention of Wrestlemania 24, the actual best Wrestlemania?

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Guess I figured they had probably seen that when catching up on 2007-2008 but yes definitely see WrestleMania 24 if you haven't already. A fantastic show from top to bottom.

Come to think of it 2008s No Way Out with a returning Big Show was pretty good too and well liked around here from what I remember.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you're going to watch a No Way Out make it 2001, which was an actual great event. (protip: do not watch no way out unless it's NWO 2001 you will most likely see a mediocre show just biding time until WM)

Rumble 01-WM17 was an incredible three show run. It's really amazing they put them on with the company slowly crumbling beneath them with Stephanie running the show, and especially with how rotten things got by Judgment Day.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Chilly McFreeze posted:

No mention of Wrestlemania 24, the actual best Wrestlemania?

i gotta agree, I think as an overall card 24 was the better show.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just because I can't sleep I thought I'd make a list of the best of the shows from 01-08

New Year's Revolution: A superfluous cash grab that didn't sell many shows and thus wasn't ever really that good (This kind of show was created way more than it should have in the past decade). Regardless, 2007 is ok.

Royal Rumble: 2001
No Way Out: 2001
Wrestlemania: 17. 24 is really great but the context of 17 keeps it on top in my eyes.

Backlash: Most are one match shows so make it 06 for HHH's challenge to break the Muta Scale and the God debacle. I think this might be the show where Big Show and Kane tried to have a technical match too.

Judgment Day: 2005 aka Night of the Shockingly Good Matches. I seem to recall most of the matches being quite good, especially the LMS main event which is probably Cena's first really good match as a main eventer.

One Night Stand: The matches aside from Tanaka/Awesome (which in this Post-Benoit World isn't as fun to watch today either) don't hold up at all without the nostalgia, but 2005 just for the novelty of it.

King of the Ring: Well my choice is either 2001, a loving great show, or 2002, a show so boring it made Chris Jericho lash out at the internet and killed KOTR as a PPV. I guess 2001!

Vengeance (including 2001)/Night of Champions: 2003. Really fun show. 2005 is also good.

Great American Bash: I wanted to immediately say "None, gently caress the GAB" since 2004 and 2005 were such disasters that I still have a bad taste in my mouth from them. I guess by default I'd say 2007 since it was the least bad.

Summerslam: Really tough decision. 2001, 2002, & 2005 are very good. 2003 is good. I'd say it goes to 2002 with the tiebreakers being 2001's atrocious DDP & Kanyon vs. Undertaker & Kane cage match where UT/Kane acted like total dickheads and 2005's greatness was almost purely from the fact that they were just reversing the unbelievably retarded booking from GAB 2005

Unforgiven: A historically mediocre show, I'd say 2001 just because of the awesome main event and aftermath (It happened 12 days after 9/11). Also Kronik vs. Undertaker/Kane is an absolute must-see match for any wrestling fan.

No Mercy: 2007 aka the Orton/HHH Show (Amazingly enough, NOT a bad thing this time) is a really good show, as is 2002. But I'm gonna give it to 2001. Test and Kane (TEST AND KANE) managed to have a good match, so clearly there was some magic in the air that night. I'm not 100% in 2001's camp, though. If anyone thought that 02 or 07 was better I wouldn't protest it.

Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday: All of these shows are pretty bad or mediocre. Most of the fun in these shows was WWE pushing a stip on TV and occasionally failing to get it (Outside of Flair literally begging the fans to choose cage). I guess 2006 is the least bad and wrestling again helped doctors find a tumor in Roddy Piper so there you go. Also it has K-Fed!

Survivor Series: 2002

Armageddon: For many years the running joke was that Armageddon was always going to be a bad or underwhelming show. And I guess it wasn't so much a joke as it was a fact because it's totally true. Armageddon more often than not sucked dick. It's funny because it had really bad timing. 2003: Raw exclusive when Raw was just finishing up being really bad but not quite finished. 2004-05: Smackdown exclusive when Smackdown was really bad. It's similar to No Way Out in that they're just biding their time waiting for the Rumble. With that said I'd say this pretty easily goes to 2006 with its impromptu awesome ladder match (that also doomed Joey Mercury) and an Undertaker vs. Mr Kennedy Last Ride Match with goofy camera angles.

I'd like to see other's thoughts too

e: Bad Blood had 2 events, both really really bad. Just skip them, unless you want to see Chris Benoit carrying the hell out of Kane and Shawn Michaels facing HHH in the most masturbatory match of all time.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 27, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also doublepost I know but I'd say the essentials from that timeframe are

Rumble 01
NWO 01
WM17
King of the Ring 01
Invasion (History's sake, but it's a decent show as well)
Summerslam 01 (You may be noticing a trend. Do not be fooled into seeking out any of the TV from this year. You will weep.)
Summerslam 02
Survivor Series 02
WM19
Summerslam 03
WM20
One Night Stand 05 (History's sake)
WM24

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I remember seeing that Invasion show at a party and we all thought it was the greatest show (there was a loving awesome RVD/Jeff Hardy match on the undercard) and storyline ever, not realizing it had already kinda turned into a debacle with the McMahons.

The glass shattering moment for everyone, ironically, was when Austin turned for the second time in four months.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks for such detailed responces CC and Bearnt!.

I've watched the entire 2001 PPV line up this year and it was a fantastic year for PPV's, it was nice to see it wasn't just my rose tinted nostalgia glasses which made me think this.

I also saw the tail end match of No Mercy 2007, so I'll have to see the whole event because it did get me curious.

I'm getting the impression though for the most part I didn't miss a great deal, the single branded PPV's I've seen for the most part were pretty boring, but maybe that's because I have no emotional investment being totally ignorant of WWE during that time.

Just a survveyish question, how many of you like Cena more after his farewell speach?

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 27, 2010

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

i gotta agree, I think as an overall card 24 was the better show.

It always get overlooked because both world matches had awkward finishes but imo WM XIX was the best WM ever, maybe the wrestling show ever.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
X-7 for me, I really liked all the promo work around the main event, plus the heat from it didn't really die down until Survivor Series because of the way they linked it in with the Invasion angle.

I liked the way they booked it, instead of two bitter rivals it seemed to me like it was more a tale of two adversaries who were eachothers greatest professional competition who almost needed eachother to push them that step further to achieve greatness. Everytime I watch the promno for this match it gives me chills.

The rest of the card was really strong too, I don't think any other WM has had me so interested in the card as a whole. It also kicked off the Benoit Vs Angle rivalry, which looking back on it recently had some amazing matches.

This could be my love of the entertainment aspects of sports entertainment shining through though, most of the matches had really good angles behind them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ozz81 posted:

I agree with you here, and tying in with that, I'd like to see WWE go back to letting guys give their own unscripted promo, rather than reading/memorizing lines that are written for them. That's what made some of the Attitude-era guys awesome, was they were basically given an idea, short and sweet ("hey, go out and talk for X minutes about this guy/match") and a lot of them came up with some brilliant stuff.
I agree with this completely, except that the Attitude Era is exactly where this started. Your idea is right but your timing is off. BEFORE the Attitude Era, dudes got to say whatever and were given bullet-points. The Russo years is when poo poo started being entirely scripted if you weren't Steve Austin, Undertaker or Mick Foley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just rewatched Wrestlemania 20. Why did the Lesner Goldberg match suck so bad? Lesner has had good matches. Did the crowd just gently caress with his head? The match was 40 percent rest holds, 40 percent staring and 20 percent actual wrestling. Because if that was the planned match it was going to suck anyway. Has anyone spoken about that match in an interview?