Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Spikeguy posted:

I just rewatched Wrestlemania 20. Why did the Lesner Goldberg match suck so bad? Lesner has had good matches. Did the crowd just gently caress with his head? The match was 40 percent rest holds, 40 percent staring and 20 percent actual wrestling. Because if that was the planned match it was going to suck anyway. Has anyone spoken about that match in an interview?

Because everyone knew they were both leaving and the crowd took a dump on it so they trolled the crowd a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

I just rewatched Wrestlemania 20. Why did the Lesner Goldberg match suck so bad? Lesner has had good matches. Did the crowd just gently caress with his head? The match was 40 percent rest holds, 40 percent staring and 20 percent actual wrestling. Because if that was the planned match it was going to suck anyway. Has anyone spoken about that match in an interview?
Lesnar was going into MMA, Goldberg was going into football(?), they proceeded to put zero effort in.

EDIT: Though I am curious, HAS anyone spoken about it?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It was actually Lesnar who was going into football. Goldberg was just not getting his contract renewed, so he retired into MMA colour commentary.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions
Lesnar was going to try out for the NFL and had barely just given notice. Goldberg's contract was up and this was his final appearence.

The crowd knew this and poo poo all over the match. It was at MSG so You would expect no less. I like to think Lesnar cared in the least bit prior to the match but once it started he was just like gently caress it I'm leaving so who cares anyway. Pretty sure Goldberg did'nt care at all since WWE misused him in his eyes and he was happy to be getting the hell out of there.

I've never heard either of them speak about it though so who knows.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

I'd imagine Goldburg having no idea how to put together and sell a competitive match probably had something to do with this, I'm not taking a shot at him (I am, shhhh!) but from memory, when Goldburg was supposed to have a match that looked competitive in some way it was normally with someone like Hogan or Nash who spent the majority of the match trading blows and brawling into their signature spots, so WWE probably expected something from him that was completely foreign to him as a worker.

I actually haven't seen anything from Goldburg's WWE run, but I imagine what they ideally wanted from him was something that was never expected of him in his career before WWE.

From the work I've seen from Lesnar too he seemed to have muh more interesting matches with people who contrasted his style as opposed to someone who sold the same kind of power gimmick as he did in the ring.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 27, 2010

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

I'd imagine Goldburg having no idea how to put together and sell a competitive match probably had something to do with this, I'm not taking a shot at him (I am, shhhh!) but from memory, when Goldburg was supposed to have a match that looked competitive in some way it was normally with someone like Hogan or Nash who spent the majority of the match trading blows and brawling into their signature spots, so WWE probably expected something from him that was completely foreign to him as a worker.

Nah, Goldberg had a terrific match against Scott Steiner that was pretty much just power move after power move. It was awesome and his match with Lesner could have easily topped that if they had just went for sheer balls out rip and tear action. Instead they played the stereotypical WWE big man match where they are slow and plodding and stalemated in power and terrible from an objective point of view.

Could have been apathy, could have been WWE telling them to go slow and it could have been a mixture of the two.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Web Jew.0 posted:

It always get overlooked because both world matches had awkward finishes but imo WM XIX was the best WM ever, maybe the wrestling show ever.

This was a pretty great show and had some really good stuff. The first thing I always think about when looking back at the event now though is the HHH/Booker T stuff and I get all :argh:.

That and the Brock Lesnar thing.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember how crazy the news surrounding that match was. It was like dominoes falling.

Oh man, Goldberg's leaving after WM. Welp, guess Brock's winning!

OH poo poo BROCK IS LEAVING

OHHHHHHHHHH poo poo AUSTIN IS LEAVING!!!!!!!!!!

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Nah, Goldberg had a terrific match against Scott Steiner that was pretty much just power move after power move. It was awesome and his match with Lesner could have easily topped that if they had just went for sheer balls out rip and tear action. Instead they played the stereotypical WWE big man match where they are slow and plodding and stalemated in power and terrible from an objective point of view.

Could have been apathy, could have been WWE telling them to go slow and it could have been a mixture of the two.
Now that you mention this, it's sparking a vague memory.

It's really hard for me to picture anyone throwing Goldburg around, though.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Captain Charisma posted:

I remember how crazy the news surrounding that match was. It was like dominoes falling.

Oh man, Goldberg's leaving after WM. Welp, guess Brock's winning!

OH poo poo BROCK IS LEAVING

OHHHHHHHHHH poo poo AUSTIN IS LEAVING!!!!!!!!!!

I was never much of an Austin fan, but seeing him Stun both those guys at the end of the match was incredibly satisfying.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Writer Cath posted:

I was never much of an Austin fan, but seeing him Stun both those guys at the end of the match was incredibly satisfying.

I'm kind of surprised they actually let those stunners happen. Thinking back, I would have expected them to no-sell the stunners.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hockles posted:

I'm kind of surprised they actually let those stunners happen. Thinking back, I would have expected them to no-sell the stunners.

The Stunner was the most famous move in all of professional wrestling at the time.

There wasn't a single person who ever escaped getting Stunnered, and I miss that move more than anything else.

I want Stone Cold to come back and be the mystery GM just to see more Stunners.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I mean, like, legit not let themselves be stunnered/stunned. As in, being kicked in the gut and ripping themselves away from Austin and leaving.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

rotinaj posted:

I want Stone Cold to come back and be stunner the mystery GM just to see more Stunners.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I want the Stunner to be the mystery GM just so Stone Cold can replace Michael Cole as the GM's spokesman.

TylerReksNEffect
Dec 24, 2005

HARD GAY
Every single e-mail has an attachment. The attachment? A stunner.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

rotinaj posted:

The Stunner was the most famous move in all of professional wrestling at the time.

There wasn't a single person who ever escaped getting Stunnered, and I miss that move more than anything else.

I want Stone Cold to come back and be the mystery GM just to see more Stunners.

Refuse a beer offered to you by Steve Austin? STUNNER
Accept a beer offered to you by Steve Austin? STUNNER

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Umbra Dubium posted:

I want the Stunner to be the mystery GM just so Stone Cold can replace Michael Cole as the GM's spokesman.

Stone Cold: The Stunner's representative on Earth.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Umbra Dubium posted:

I want the Stunner to be the mystery GM just so Stone Cold can stun Michael Cole.

Fixed.

And I quote, "I'm going to stomp a mudhole in your rear end."

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Bearnt! posted:

Lesnar was going to try out for the NFL and had barely just given notice. Goldberg's contract was up and this was his final appearence.

The crowd knew this and poo poo all over the match. It was at MSG so You would expect no less. I like to think Lesnar cared in the least bit prior to the match but once it started he was just like gently caress it I'm leaving so who cares anyway. Pretty sure Goldberg did'nt care at all since WWE misused him in his eyes and he was happy to be getting the hell out of there.

I've never heard either of them speak about it though so who knows.

You actually hear Goldberg tell Lesnar, "gently caress these people"! Lesnar looked like he actually let the crowd get to him which is funny because now he gets to them big time in the UFC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hockles posted:

I mean, like, legit not let themselves be stunnered/stunned. As in, being kicked in the gut and ripping themselves away from Austin and leaving.
Shoot stunners.

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004
The spot where a wrestler only get a 2 count, and just covers him again right away for another 2 count. Has that ever worked? Cause that would be awesome.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

PlasticSpoon posted:

The spot where a wrestler only get a 2 count, and just covers him again right away for another 2 count. Has that ever worked? Cause that would be awesome.

In chikara.

also vince v rvd for ecw title.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Has the WWE banned the use of belly to back suplexes? I can't think of a single superstar that does one with any sort of regularity, if at all. If so, did they ban them because of their association with Benoit, the inherent risk of neck injury involved with them, or a combo of both?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Professor Funk posted:

Has the WWE banned the use of belly to back suplexes? I can't think of a single superstar that does one with any sort of regularity, if at all. If so, did they ban them because of their association with Benoit, the inherent risk of neck injury involved with them, or a combo of both?

Swagger and Bryan throw belly-to-back suplexes on occasion and Alberto Del Rio has a really pretty German suplex hold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtPo7xilIII

Also Bryan's used or at least attempted his avalanche belly-to-back suplex on the last couple PPVs.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Soooo, I've been out of the loop for a long time. Why did Cena and Jericho leave, non-kayfabe?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Shadow225 posted:

Soooo, I've been out of the loop for a long time. Why did Cena and Jericho leave, non-kayfabe?

Cena really isn't gone non-kayfabe. He may take a little vacation now, but he'll be back soon.

Jericho needed a break and wanted to go on tour with Fozzy. He always said he doesn't want to work when he's not 100% into it because he knows he won't bring everything to the character.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

Jericho has a band and had tour dates scheduled and has a book he is working on. Everyone is positive Cena leaving is 99% Kayfabe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Didn't Dibiase Jr. bust out a german out of goddamn nowhere at Survivor Series?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

PlasticSpoon posted:

I have a very vage memory of this happening in ECW, I remember thinking 'Wow, it actually worked!'.

Also, I'm sure this must have been done a few times with the feet on the ropes or pulling the trunks spot.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 28, 2010

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

Swagger and Bryan throw belly-to-back suplexes on occasion and Alberto Del Rio has a really pretty German suplex hold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtPo7xilIII

Also Bryan's used or at least attempted his avalanche belly-to-back suplex on the last couple PPVs.

Ah alright, I don't usually get a chance to watch Smackdown so that explains not remembering Swagger or Del Rio's.

Should've remembered Bryan doing one though.

Thanks!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Professor Funk posted:

My theory is that Vince in general just doesn't like them or the style of wrestling they're used in. Before Benoit they were pretty rare (I remember Val Venis did it a few times), and after Benoit only he and Angle did them. And for that matter they were the repeating Germans, so no bridge.

Whenever Regal has a substantial match (once every 3 years or so) he busts out a modified Exploder and I think I've seen a Half Nelson Suplex too

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Captain Charisma posted:

Whenever Regal has a substantial match (once every 3 years or so) he busts out a modified Exploder and I think I've seen a Half Nelson Suplex too

The Regalplex is a thing of beauty. I remember everyone here thinking Randy Orton had just been murdered but no, not a scratch.

I think Vince just has a thing against suplexes in general, since the preferred terminology (when Vince is paying attention to the commentary) seems to be "throw" these days.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

I have a very vage memory of this happening in ECW, I remember thinking 'Wow, it actually worked!'.

Also, I'm sure this must have been done a few times with the feet on the ropes or pulling the trunks spot.

There was also the "that was THREE!" "Oh, was it?" "YEAH!" "Oh, sorry about that - RING THE BELL!" spot in Chikara, but I can't find the video of it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Umbra Dubium posted:

The Regalplex is a thing of beauty. I remember everyone here thinking Randy Orton had just been murdered but no, not a scratch.

The best is when it's against small guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBeLRCsOwAU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If we're talking about great matches / runs from 2001-2008, I think the Smackdown Six deserve a mention.

Back when Paul Heyman took over the booking of Smackdown in (iirc) 2002, they introduced Smackdown tag titles. He took this as an opportunity to build the importance of the tag division by putting the 6 best wrestlers on Smackdown into tag teams and having them compete against each other in tag and singles matches. The teams were:

1. Rey Mysterio and Edge
2. Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit
3. Eddy Guererro and Chavo Guererro

For several months they fought each other in an exciting 3-way feud that produced some of the best TV matches WWE has had. The Angle/Benoit versus Edge/Mysterio match from No Mercy 2002 was Wrestling Observer's Match Of The Year for that year.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lamuella posted:

The Angle/Benoit versus Edge/Mysterio match from No Mercy 2002 was Wrestling Observer's Match Of The Year for that year.

That match is awesome. Its hard to explain how good it is. That's a must-see match right there.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
That sounds absolutely brilliant, I'll get onto that.

I too think WWE purposely try to cut down on the suplexing, I remember when I saw Hart doing a verticle suplex thinking that I hadn't seen one in in a very long time.

Vince is wrong, people love suplexes.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

George Kaplan posted:

There was also the "that was THREE!" "Oh, was it?" "YEAH!" "Oh, sorry about that - RING THE BELL!" spot in Chikara, but I can't find the video of it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&client=mv-google&hl=en&v=ZZVwK-RQfUM

About 1:40 in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well
It may still be a holdover from The Rock's days. I remember an interview he did once after the Droz thing, where he stated that he had a clause in his contract that he didn't have to take any move where his feet went over his head. He still COULD, but it was pretty rare. I can see people thinking that hey, HE got over with that attitude and that would reduce injuries by a ton, so let's make that the standard.